Muv Luv anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
vipergb34

Muv Luv anime

There's going to be a Muv Luv anime this summer, does anyone know anything about it?
Sume Gai

Re: Muv Luv anime

I know some basic stuff.

Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse set in the Alternative Universe before the time of Muv-Luv alternative and mainly revolves around the project, in Russia owned Alaska, to develop new TSFs. As I cannot read more than hearsay I hesitate to say much more but here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekgtWOSPgg
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Strike Zero

The full title of the anime is Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Elipse, and it's an adaptation of the novel/manga series of the same name. As Sume Gai mentioned, it is a side-story to the visual novel Muv-Luv Alternative, which is a sequel to the visual novel Muv Luv Unlimited which is a sequel to the visual novel Muv-Luv Extra. In other words, it's a side-story to the sequel of a sequel.

I wouldn't necessarily let this discourage you from watching it, though for sure it's the people who have played through all three games (like myself) who are going to appreciate it the most. Luckily for those who are interested, it's not all that difficult to track down the fan-translated versions of the games, install them and play through them one at a time.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Sume Gai

If one is particularly interested the Japanese site actually has some pretty decent English translations of various sections.

http://muv-luv-te-anime.com/
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Destiny_Gundam

Gotta love how black tank tops are standard military attire in this universe. Cryska is lookin' so hot in her profile image :D

So yeah, I know pretty much nothing about Total Eclipse, so it'll be interesting to watch.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

You know, somehow never heard of or seen anything of Muv Luv before.
But seeing the trailer and all, I have interest in this series.
yazi88

It is more involved with the mecha when compared to the other Muvluv series as it is about an American pilot test piloting a prototype TSF (Tactical Surface Fighter).

Also, Muvluv Unlimited and Alternative has a lot of big breasted pilots so I'm not complaining. Although in Total Eclipse you actually see other male pilots aside from the main character that isn't a bad guy.
Destiny_Gundam

Well you don't see many male pilots because most of them went out and died in the initial battles with the BETA.

Anyways, I'd like to point out that there is a Muv Luv thread in the game forum. General stuff should go there while anything related to Total Eclipse will go here.
vipergb34

If the google translator is correct Then this starts July 1st.
yazi88

Not much happened in 1st episode, mostly backstory of BETA invasion from 1967 and Yui's (main heroine) past as a high school student to cadet in training. Still, a good prologue episode.

Hope next episode shows Yuuya during his days as a Raptor pilot.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, this ep is all set up. As I expected, they never give us a clear view of the BETA but that just makes them more threatening.

Given the next episode preview and the fact that none of Yui's schoomates are in the main story, the course of the next episode should be in true Muv Luv fashion.
vipergb34

I read somewhere that Yuuya Bridges was the Isamu Dyson of Muv-Luv, I cant wait to see how he enters the show.
Sume Gai

Some pretty basic set-up going on here, It was interesting to see a bit of the Lunar Wars though the rest really didn't stand out as much, I get the feeling a bit of plot was cut out that would have better introduced us to the cadet squad. However, I get the feeling next week will be very nasty at depicting the
Spoiler
8 minutes of death.

Evex

Just from the preview the mechs remind me of the mechs from gunparade march, and gunparade march: orchestra. I'm wondering if the same person who did the mech design for those shows does the mech designs for the Muv-Luv series of games and now the show.
vipergb34

Evex wrote:Just from the preview the mechs remind me of the mechs from gunparade march, and gunparade march: orchestra. I'm wondering if the same person who did the mech design for those shows does the mech designs for the Muv-Luv series of games and now the show.
I was wondering the same thing.
yazi88

I'm surprised that the prototype of the TSF F-4 Phantom, the NCAF-X1, was actually shown during the BETA invasion of the moon during the prologue albeit very briefly.
Strike Zero

Well, I finally got around to watching the first episode of the show. It was pretty lackluster, I'm sorry to say. The narrative jumped around like a kangaroo jacked up on cocaine, and not a whole lot of interest managed to happen. I was also surprised to note a copious amount of QUALITY that frequently popped up. If I wasn't already a fan of the Muv-Luv series, I can't imagine that this episode would have left me all that excited for the next to roll around.

However, it did do a decent enough job setting us up for the upcoming battle, which should be awesome, and I'm hoping that the lackluster animation here means that they're saving up the budget for the more significant portions later on.

Some minor points: I had a bit of a fangirl moment when the episode began with Yuuko-sensei doing the opening narration. :) That WAS her, right? Also, I had to chuckle at how Yui's suit and Zuikaku were the only ones colored in a florescent yellow. They never really bothered to mention why she now has her own custom colors, though I'm sure that I could find out if I were to do a bit of research on the side.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
reeoyuy

Strike Zero wrote:They never really bothered to mention why she now has her own custom colors, though I'm sure that I could find out if I were to do a bit of research on the side.
Maybe because she's from special family line? I'm no expert on Mv Luv universe, but I remember someone mentioned about color classification in Imperial Japanese forces based on rank and social status with purple being the highest or something.
yazi88

Damn, quite gory with girls getting eaten. Very gruesome deaths, tops even Blue Gender's gruesome deaths in mecha anime.

Also, the Type-00 Takemikazuchi makes a badass cameo and judging by its colors its probably the 00R variant with Ikaruga as its pilot, but it doesn't make any sense during the timeline as it was not deployed until about 2 years later in the year 2000 so this might've been a test run.
Destiny_Gundam

Lots of blacked out gore. Guess we need to buy the blu rays!

But yeah, this is the kind of episode you'd expect from a Muv Luv anime. Those disappointed by the first episode won't be by this one.