Macross Protagonist you Consider the Best

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kei Katsuragi

Macross Protagonist you Consider the Best

Yup. This is exactly the same as schwarz ritter's "Gundam Protagonist you consider the best" but with a nice Macross twist. The criteria for 'best' is your own subjective opinion rather than basing it off objective standards that fictional characters must strive to be. Who do you think is the best Macross Protagonist and why?

And I'll start off by just saying my own opinion. Hikaru Ichijyo, because 1) I'm a nut for the classics and 2) Never before in a mecha series had I so much investment into battles and fight scenes because of how much I cared for Hikaru and his relationships with the rest of the crew of the SDF-1. I just found him so engaging and relatable because of his feelings and hardships. We as an audience want to see Hikaru go out there and kick Zentradi ass to come back to the SDF-1 to attempt to woo Minmei or exchange playful banter with Roy. We as an audience feel like we know other characters in the main cast as he does, and you get attached them as if you were Hikaru having a real relation to this characters.

As much as I love Kei Katsuragi for his smooth level headed dialogue, Yang Wen-li for his eccentric genius, Rheinhard von Lohengrahm for all of his depth and dynamics, I can't help but care for Hikaru more than any other anime protagonist, let alone Macross. He is my favorite character in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and my all time favorite Macross character. Therefor, I think he's the best Macross Protagonist.

EDIT: I realized there are only six different people to pick from.... so... go nuts! Hikaru (which I feel like I'm hardly alone in my opinion on him), Hibiki (I will personally make a sandwich for the first guy who picks this dude xD), Isamu (who I actually really like, but I don't know just how popular he is, or if he is at all), Basara (I loooooove Basara, and I doubt I'm alone with that opinion. I know Chris didn't like how he was static throughout the show, but hey, he is still awesome) Shin (oh yea... this guy exists... yup), and Alto (I liked Alto, and since Frontier was the latest series, I imagine the lot of people who were introduced to Macross with this series in recent times like this guy).
iCards

Re: Macross Protagonist you Consider the Best

I like Isamu, Movie Hikaru, and Alto.
Kei Katsuragi

You prefer movie Hikaru because he isn't as indecisive and childish?
schwarz ritter

I'll post here once I start watching Macross again. I have to rewatch to really make my "decision" or whatever. So don't despair, Kei, your thread isn't dead at all ;)
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
YokozunaBulldozer

Guitar Hero Nekki Basara
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Arbiter GUNDAM

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Guitar Hero Nekki Basara
And why does he deserve the singular honor?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I've waited a long time to type this . . .

Max Jenius.

He's the SDF-1's best pilot without having to be the main character; he creams you at video games; beats a hot Zentradi woman in a battle sim, a dogfight and a knife fight; marries and starts a family with said hot Zentradi woman; and helped Earth take the first steps to improve human/Zentradi relations.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
sweet-d

Hikaru...
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Cardi Doorl

iCards wrote:I like Isamu, Movie Hikaru, and Alto.
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Guitar Hero Nekki Basara
sweet-d wrote:Hikaru...
No really, elaborate on these.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
kayone73

Isamu Dyson - because he was a talented pilot and a confident ass who didn't stand for BS like women drama.
DuelGundam2099

Basara Nekki for me, simply based on the fact that he is the only Macross main character that isn't an over dramatic guy that acts like he has "issues" when not in combat.
Compass

I'm surprised no one's said Roy Fokker or Ozma Lee yet.

Sure, neither of them are technically main characters, but they are both critical towards helping the main characters develop.

Ozma in the series was easy to relate to. He didn't provide nonsense, and he wasn't out of the way cold or anything. His speech while taking down a Vajra with only a knife cemented his character, and it also didn't hurt that they made a pass at Roy Fokkering him to the hospital with pineapple cake and all that.

And he listens to Fire Bomber and names his formations after their songs.

And it was him, after all, who went with SMS to determine the truth behind Macross Galaxy and came back to stop Leon.

The movie version is pretty much identical.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Kei Katsuragi

Late-ish reply, but I really liked Ozma as well. I thought he was just going to be a Roy rehash, considering him being all "Skull Leader" and all that jazz. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of a bad ass he was in his own way. I liked how he treated Alto and the others like soldiers rather than how Roy treated Hikaru and the others like friends (not knocking Roy or anything). His Fire Bomber love was the selling point for me though. I mean seriously, whenever I play any rhythm game I always want to shout "FIRE!" before playing a song :P What I'm saying is, I can relate.

The only bad thing I can say about Ozma is his little hair strand that hangs out in front of his face. I always just want to get scissors and cut it >_>