The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

i'm really interested to see what could possibly be a good reason to turn, y'know, evil--like, intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason.
Zeino

ShadowCell wrote:i'm really interested to see what could possibly be a good reason to turn, y'know, evil--like, intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason.
The unjust death of someone you dearly loved isn't a good enough reason?
ShadowCell

Zeino wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:i'm really interested to see what could possibly be a good reason to turn, y'know, evil--like, intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason.
The unjust death of someone you dearly loved isn't a good enough reason?
to become
intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason
really? that's a good reason?

i mean, as far as Gundam villains go, Ezelcant's motivation may be fairly novel--driven mad with grief, as opposed to Rau and the Frost brothers' revenge, or Gihren and Scirocco's megalomania, or Kagatie's lust for power, or...whatever the hell was motivating Ribbons--but justifying him? not so much. their motivations may be understandable, but the reason they're villains and the stuff they're doing is "evil" is that it can't be justified, even by the motivations that got them doing it in the first place.
Raptor

Doesn't help that if what he really wanted was revenge, there were better ways to do that. Why hide mobile suits on earth, when they could have hidden bombs? Blown up the EFF bases, ships or MS early on?

Really not seeing the genius here.

Or were you talking about Lordgenome, Shadow Cell? Because his reason is actually pretty legit.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Mythgarr

His vision of Eden and his grief, complicated with being slumped in an equivalent of space-slum, a grief of losing a child, and the cold-sleep routine could trigger something weird in Elzecant's head. Added with his charisma and the weird religious culture of Second Moon, his megalomania rose and pervert his logics.

Enough reasons for me. This is a child show, after all. Not mindfuck like Evangelion.
Visit The Dreams
ShadowCell

i see the
intentionally cruel and malicious and deliberately inflicting harm on people for no good reason
part doesn't appear to be sticking here
DuelGundam2099

Give us a Lordgenome. A villain that actually had a really good reason to turn evil, and that everything he is doing is actually for the betterment of mankind, except that there are other options.
Isn't that what most mecha anime villains in the past, I don't know, decade been doing? Hell they even make that the main theme in the recent SRW Z series.

"I am an evil villain doing evil things, but sympathize for me as I do this for a greater good in utter secret! Darn you main character and title mecha, you foiled my plans for gooddomness! Also my past may or may not have been traumatic."
kayone73

Just finished watching Ep 39. I'm not going to bother discussing Ezelcant's character or motivations for his master plan or ideals. Everyone else can do that.

But his combat in the Legilis is impressive. It's pretty clear that Ezelcant is definitely an EzelCAN
Raptor

DuelGundam2099 wrote: Isn't that what most mecha anime villains in the past, I don't know, decade been doing? Hell they even make that the main theme in the recent SRW Z series.
The kicker though, is Lordgenome's reason. He's didn't betray everyone who trusted and fought beside him because he thought the best option was to kill them and force humanity underground to control the population for his own evil deeds, he did it because he was SCARED. Scared of the anti-spirals power, but even more so of the power he himself held, that of the spiral. So he killed his own comrades, and forced humanity underground, thinning the population himself if he had to, to keep the anti-spirals away, and to stop Spiral power from growing. Then came Kamina, but you know the rest.

Super interesting premise, and unlike the villains of old, who did it because the Earth was in danger, and they were raising up a force to fight that danger by opposing the good guys(When they could have simply teamed up with them and been even stronger) That was the only option Lordgenome saw. There were other ways, but his own fear robbed him of them.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Kei Katsuragi

kayone73 wrote:But his combat in the Legilis is impressive. It's pretty clear that Ezelcant is definitely an EzelCAN
That should not have made me laugh.
E08

Raptor wrote:Doesn't help that if what he really wanted was revenge, there were better ways to do that. Why hide mobile suits on earth, when they could have hidden bombs? Blown up the EFF bases, ships or MS early on?
Revenge seems to be just a side benefit of Ezelcant's plan. It is possible that MS are hidden on earth because it is meant to be a surprise tactic to catch the EF off guard and deal them a severe blow.In short, it is just part of the plan. What is the use of bombs if Vagan cannot infiltrate the bases, ship ,etc?
Raptor

I would agree if they couldn't, but it's quite clear that they could. Flit purged the Federation forces of Vagan influence, and traitors. Even the Diva was not exempt. Not to mention that the Vagan had incorporated so well into society, they surprised everyone when the attack came, so why not blow major bases up? They had the time to gather bombs in a MS. Did they never consider using this tactic more often? We know they aren't trying to preserve the earth, at least. Just seems like flawed logic to me.

-Raptor, out.
daigundam lagaan

Deathflags, Deathflags everywhere!

WAYY more than I thought there would be last year, when the show was announced lol
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
angelwingzero

Am I the only one who's disappointed that Ezelcant's motivation for all of this is creating a master race through some contrived, stupid method? Before they revealed that fact I saw him as a pretty benevolent guy, but wracked with grief about his son and wanted pure revenge for his death. I think that would have painted him in a more sympathetic light rather than making him an "altruist" that is really just pushing for mass genocide in the end.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Amion

angelwingzero wrote:Am I the only one who's disappointed that Ezelcant's motivation for all of this is creating a master race through some contrived, stupid method? Before they revealed that fact I saw him as a pretty benevolent guy, but wracked with grief about his son and wanted pure revenge for his death. I think that would have painted him in a more sympathetic light rather than making him an "altruist" that is really just pushing for mass genocide in the end.
Well, it could be argued that they don't want Ezelcant to be painted in a totally sympathetic light. And I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that Ghiren Zabi had pretty much the same goal. We don't seem to complain about him being an unsympathetic villain.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
DuelGundam2099

The kicker though, is Lordgenome's reason. He's didn't betray everyone who trusted and fought beside him because he thought the best option was to kill them and force humanity underground to control the population for his own evil deeds, he did it because he was SCARED. Scared of the anti-spirals power, but even more so of the power he himself held, that of the spiral. So he killed his own comrades, and forced humanity underground, thinning the population himself if he had to, to keep the anti-spirals away, and to stop Spiral power from growing. Then came Kamina, but you know the rest.
Galfa from Dendoh, the Four Heavenly Kings from New Getter Robo, Dr. Hell from Shin Mazinger Z, the Britainians from Code Geass, the Innovades from Gundam 00, and to extent Kankel from Betterman and the Silver Tribe from Heroic Age all have the "We must tame/save humanity before they royally PO some higher force at work and/or kill themselves over it! Hooray hidden motivation!" All TTGL did was make the concept popular.
kayone73

Amion wrote:
angelwingzero wrote:Am I the only one who's disappointed that Ezelcant's motivation for all of this is creating a master race through some contrived, stupid method? Before they revealed that fact I saw him as a pretty benevolent guy, but wracked with grief about his son and wanted pure revenge for his death. I think that would have painted him in a more sympathetic light rather than making him an "altruist" that is really just pushing for mass genocide in the end.
Well, it could be argued that they don't want Ezelcant to be painted in a totally sympathetic light. And I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that Ghiren Zabi had pretty much the same goal. We don't seem to complain about him being an unsympathetic villain.
His plans and overall goals sound a lot like Giren, but the writers are clearly trying to paint Giren and Ezelcan't as two very different characters.
DuelGundam2099

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/boar ... 948400.jpg

Supposed summaries for the next four episodes. Translations from /m/, take with salt.
Spoiler
Ep42 Jirad Spriggan
EX-pilot of Earth Federation Force, Jirad Spriggan participate in the war between EFF and Vegan.

Ep43 Heroic, triple gundam
Due to Cedric the EFF's lieutenant try to make Vegan's soldiers to surrender. It seems like it was able to stop the firing of "Plasmadiver missile" the powerful massacre weapon of EFF, but...
This one are from the another source
42話「ジラード・スプリガン」
連邦軍とヴェイガンの戦いは両軍とも譲らない激しいものとなっていた。
そこへ元連邦軍のパイロット、ジラード・スプリガンが参戦する。
ジラードが連邦軍とヴェイガンの両陣営の実情を知る人物だと知ったキオは

戦いを終らせるべく彼との対話を試みるが…
The battle of EFF and Vagan became adamant intense for both sides.
EX-pilot of Earth Federation Force, Jirad Spriggan participate in there.
Knowing that Jirad is the person who know the truth of both camps of EFF and Vagan ,Kio try to interact with him in order to end the battle but...

43話「壮絶 トリプルガンダム」
月面上の戦いがさらに激しさを増す中、連邦軍はプラズマダイバーミサイル
の発射準備を進めてい た。
連邦軍のパイロット、セリック・アビスは
強力な殺戮兵器であるミサイルの使用を中止させるため、ヴェイガン兵を降
伏させようとする

While the battle on surface of the moon furthermore intense, EFF was proceeding the firing preparation of Plasmadiver Missile.
Cedric Abyss the pilot of EFF try to make the Vagan's soldier to surrender, in order to be able to stop the firing of the powerful massacre weapon.
No idea who the hell Cedric is.
ShadowCell

please use the spoiler tags for stuff like that next time
Raptor

Duel, I must agree to disagree my friend. I don't feel that the reasoning behind the characters are the same, but I honestly don't think either of us can be swayed. :)

I've been playing SRWJ, and I suddenly realize how awesome a few AGE units would be.

Plus I would love to fight against the Zamdrag.

-Raptor, out.