The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

So today's episode was pretty cool I like how the Dark Hound implemented a flash bang or sorts a pretty damn practical weapon I am wondering where Wivik is though I hope they at lest explain him and don't just drop him with no reason lastly did any one notice that
Spoiler
When Asemu saved Kio he used the same move that got Woolf killed but successfully saved Kio and lived it seems he lived out Woolf's last request to surpass him as a pilot
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
zetatype

schwarz ritter wrote:
zetatype wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Cursed treasure? What is this, they want to make this Pirates of the Caribbean in space as well?
Actually I got more of a Laplace's Box vibe with the whole cursed treasure thing.
And Laplace's Box doesn't sound at all like something Lord Cutler Beckett wouldn't want, eh?
LOL, I see what you did there

In all honesty you do make a good point

Tip of the hat to ya
GNRoyalFlash24

Just finished watching ep 34, and considering Asemu/Ash's dialogue at the ending plus the teaser for the episode next week. Here's my guess
Spoiler
He could have given the key to finding the treasure -that can allegedly change the course of the war- to Kio.
Arbiter GUNDAM

zetatype wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote:
zetatype wrote: Actually I got more of a Laplace's Box vibe with the whole cursed treasure thing.
And Laplace's Box doesn't sound at all like something Lord Cutler Beckett wouldn't want, eh?
LOL, I see what you did there

In all honesty you do make a good point

Tip of the hat to ya
Apparently it's supposed to be some kind of technological database or something. Not sure how that will win them the war unless it has the plans to, like, the Death Star or The Crucible or Reeeeqqquuiiiieeemmmmm!
HellCat wrote:I'm really disappointed. It's no secret I think Asemu's arc wasted time overstating his hang ups but ultimately what we got there was a young man who hated how distant his father was, looked out for others and finally found his own way, even promising his newly born son he'd always be there for him.

Now we find he's become a scruffy space pirate, apparently carries little to no concern he hasn't seen his wife or son for 13 years, avoids talking to said son in order to see how well he fights and basically does all this in the name of what sounds like a pretty piss poor plan to combat the Vagan, instead of just flat out talking to his dad and son and being upfront.

....Why am I expected to believe this is the same character who was the second protagonist?
Totally agree, dude.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
schwarz ritter

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Apparently it's supposed to be some kind of technological database or something. Not sure how that will win them the war unless it has the plans to, like, the Death Star or The Crucible or Reeeeqqquuiiiieeemmmmm!

Hmmm....I just came up with something:
"Palpatine grabbed the small, control device and released the safety, 'And now I shall reward you, fish-face...WITH THE DEATH STAR! A weapon designed especially for you and all of you kind!"

No, but seriously, what you guys say is totally right: it is a McGuffin. A greasy, old McGuffin. Ever since John Travolta and Mace Windu searched for it, movies and anime and TV are riddled with McGuffins.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Compass

This episode really seemed to enjoy answering questions within seconds of them being asked.

The "war orphans" I was like... why are they in space? And then Wootbit goes and asks the same question. Everything felt explained a bit TOO fast. After spending a dozen or so episodes trying to figure out the Federation spy with a bunch of red herrings, now we don't even get the benefit of the doubt. We just get told.

And we've reached the point where a character no longer feels believable, at all.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Compass wrote:This episode really seemed to enjoy answering questions within seconds of them being asked.

The "war orphans" I was like... why are they in space? And then Wootbit goes and asks the same question. Everything felt explained a bit TOO fast. After spending a dozen or so episodes trying to figure out the Federation spy with a bunch of red herrings, now we don't even get the benefit of the doubt. We just get told.

And we've reached the point where a character no longer feels believable, at all.

I fail to see how you can compare a character (who is in the military) asking why civilian children are on a military warship and then has his question answered, to the reveal of the traitor who was secretly working with the enemies of the entire world.

And then say that because of the fact that there was no BUILD UP to the super-special-awesome- reason-why THE KIDS are on the Diva means that the characters make no sense...well...THAT makes no sense Compass.

Woobit asks why the kids are on the ship because they are kids on a military warship...and because WE as a audience needed to know for the story.

Also, and I am just spit-balling here...maybe Woobit hates the Orphans as much as we do...and wants them off the ship.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Compass

It's not just the "Oh, we're bringing them along" bit I'm referencing.

It's the...

"Oh, they're not actually war orphans! Their families were shipped to a colony for safety!"

"Oh, and that colony is on the way to the moon!"

"Which is where we're going. On a top secret mission!"

The characters feel like they're being thrown onto the ship and given awfully convenient reasons for being there.

Wootbit I can understand. "War Orphans" appears to have been placed there to anchor Wendy's screen time, and Unoa Asuno has been placed here for who knows what reason.

There could have been so much done to ground out these convenient facts and truths that have popped up for the past few episodes.

Asemu officially ranks up from Space Pilot to Space Pirate was a simple non-twist.

The post-episode Gundam mechanic thing asking "Why does Captain Ash have a Gundam? You'll find out later?" made me want to head desk.

Not saying I don't like the episode, just saying that this one was a pretty bumpy one from the writing department. It reminds me too much of Romary and Asemu having no real forward relational development until the very end of the arc and then time skipping to marriage.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
HellCat

It makes sense to me. It's a desperate time for the Federation. The kids need to go to the moon, they're already on a ship going that way, therefore kill two birds with one stone and drop them off along the way. Consider that any commited evacuation ships have probably fled Earth by this point and the Diva was taking the long way to emergency command. It's probably not possible to get a refugee ship going just for 3 kids.

As for Gundapedia's "You'll find out later why he has a Gundam"....I've been worried about that segment ever since it had to explain Earth's atmosphere.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Sulendil Zeta

Compass wrote:The post-episode Gundam mechanic thing asking "Why does Captain Ash have a Gundam? You'll find out later?" made me want to head desk.
Well, although Gundapedia question does sound stupid at first, but thinking back, it's established that the only remains found of Asemu prior to the SUPER PIRATE reunion was the AGE-2 core block and the AGE Device. So unless the EF left the core block alone on space and took only the AGE Device, which seems unlikely, Asemu does need to rebuild his AGE-2 back from scratches, without any blueprints of the machine itself. So how on earth does Asemu able to (re)built the Gundam?

My guess?
Spoiler
EXA-DB, the military tech database and the titular treasure referred in next episode. I believe that not only does EXA-DB hold the secret tech from the past, it also actively achieving the tech from current era ie data from AGE System and the related Gundam wears. Since Bisidian found the EXA-DB in Memories of Sid, I guess Asemu got the blueprint from EXA-DB itself.
Chris
Administrator

Sulendil Zeta wrote:Well, although Gundapedia question does sound stupid at first, but thinking back, it's established that the only remains found of Asemu prior to the SUPER PIRATE reunion was the AGE-2 core block and the AGE Device. So unless the EF left the core block alone on space and took only the AGE Device, which seems unlikely, Asemu does need to rebuild his AGE-2 back from scratches, without any blueprints of the machine itself. So how on earth does Asemu able to (re)built the Gundam?
Or it could be a lot simpler and he left the Age-2 core and the Age device floating in space and faked his death with the Gundam intact.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Raptor

Not a bad episode. We definitely weren't left with any doubts as to who Captain Ash was. Not even mere moments after he was shown.

Calling it now, one of three things will happen.

A: Asemu "Ash" Asuno and the Visidian Space Pirates die to save the Diva
2: The Visidian Space Pirates become the "Eternal" of this season, and accompany the Diva to the Final Battle.
Zwei: The Visidian Ship gets destroyed saving the Diva, or Asemu himself, and Asemu rejoins the Diva. If so, expect a repainting, turning the Dark Hound into the AGE-2 Woolf Hound.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Compass

Meh, I think less of an Eternal and more of a Kati Mannequin OHAI GUYS you thought you forgot me but I'm back and on the other side!
Deacon Blues

Raptor wrote:Not a bad episode. We definitely weren't left with any doubts as to who Captain Ash was. Not even mere moments after he was shown.

Calling it now, one of three things will happen.

A: Asemu "Ash" Asuno and the Visidian Space Pirates die to save the Diva
2: The Visidian Space Pirates become the "Eternal" of this season, and accompany the Diva to the Final Battle.
Zwei: The Visidian Ship gets destroyed saving the Diva, or Asemu himself, and Asemu rejoins the Diva. If so, expect a repainting, turning the Dark Hound into the AGE-2 Woolf Hound.

-Raptor, out.
Keep in mind it is Bisidian now, not Visidian.
Dark Duel

Compass wrote:"Oh, they're not actually war orphans! Their families were shipped to a colony for safety!"

Maybe it's just me, but that entire exchange almost sounded to me while I read it like it could have come out of Red vs. Blue.

That said, while I have not seen the latest episode yet, I do agree that there does seem to have been a lot of convenience coincidences in the story so far that...kind stretch suspension of disbelief a bit too much.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
thehod

I am now wondering if there will be a showdown between Asemu and Zehart to conclude some unfinished business.

Asemu SUPER-PIRATO
Compass

Dark Duel wrote:
Compass wrote:"Oh, they're not actually war orphans! Their families were shipped to a colony for safety!"

Maybe it's just me, but that entire exchange almost sounded to me while I read it like it could have come out of Red vs. Blue.

That said, while I have not seen the latest episode yet, I do agree that there does seem to have been a lot of convenience coincidences in the story so far that...kind stretch suspension of disbelief a bit too much.
Try reading those lines with Charlie the Unicorn unicorns in your head. Then we'll see who's crazier. Ha ha.

Gundam 00's and SEED's orphans had major implications on characters and their development. These kids aren't even technically orphans. We assumed they were, and they were portrayed as such, but now they aren't.

I would not be surprised for them to have the colony the kids' parents are on to be blown up by the Vagans just to turn them back into war orphans. Not trying to be heartless or anything, but it's what I've come to expect from some of the random right turns the series performs. I liked the episode, but some of the things that happen just seem to make no sense or seem to be written in a state where they don't even know what'll happen the week after.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Really makes me wonder if there is some kind of communication problem going on between Sunrise and Level 5 or if Sunrise can't change any of what Level 5 is writing because of contractual obligations or something.

Or maybe the production team is just not putting forth the effort. I think someone posted an article over in Neo's News that the production team were upset that everybody seems to hate their show.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
schwarz ritter

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Or maybe the production team is just not putting forth the effort. I think someone posted an article over in Neo's News that the production team were upset that everybody seems to hate their show.
You guessed it: they can't seem to understand why there's so much hatedom for the show, and with good reason. The haters just hate it due to the character designs and nothing else. Sure, its had its fair load of crap, but the haters have really affected the perception of the show.
Add the fact that AGE DVDs/BDs aren't selling as well as Unicorn BDs/DVDs. :/
Shame, as AGE was really promising great stuff in its first two arcs. I was really looking forward at what they might have had originally planned.
Last edited by schwarz ritter on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."