The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Sume Gai

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread AGE-6

Chris wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:........ Did Kio seriously try to punch a cannon WHILE IT IS CHARGING? He deserved to be caught, honestly.
That was a Shinn Asuka level stupid thing for Kio to do. I don't know what possessed him to think punching a cannon would be effective.
The kid was freaking the hell out right then and can you really blame him? After Shanalua he has first hand experience losing someone and his grandfather, Who practically raised him, was facing the same fate. Beyond that there wasn't time to draw a beam saber nor room to bring that long rifle to bare. admittedly the wise move would have been to evade but again he's clearly panicking probably thinking his only option is to defeat the enemy.

Now if he'd perhaps declared his masculinity while doing this his tactic might have worked LOL.
yazi88 wrote:I'm calling it now, Zeheart is now the Chronicle Ashter of Gundam Age.
At the very least he isn't as stuck up as Chronicle was nor has Kio hijacked his Mobile Suit using a Hang Glider. *waits for 4-Komas of this* I wonder if they are trying to turn Zeheart into the Series loser villain as much as it's Char if so it's an interesting take, he's actually a good pilot he just sucks at commanding. Even if this is unintentional I still find it an amusing thought.

Regarding the Orphans, they are rather unnessecary but we've seen worse, they aren't usually on screen but once every other episode or so and in this case it served as a good way to break a tense deadlock.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
DuelGundam2099

At least Cronicle had a sense of honor to him and a mind of his own, Zeheart is just....... Ugh. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he is a worse Char clone then even Graham as Mr. Bushido (and that is saying a lot) and is officially at the bottom of my CC list (and I'm counting Boris from Gunpla Builders in this). Every other Char Clone was at least SOMEWHAT interesting and had a sense of individuality to them.
MarshalBraginsky

Wouldn't Zeheart be tied with Full Frontal as the lamest Char clone ever? Also, it'd be interesting to see Kio tour the world of Vagan and actually see for himself what Flit wouldn't want to see.
Raptor

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:i just have to say that against all expectations at the outset of Kio's arc, Zanald Beihart has become my favorite character

he sold me when he smacked the Ghirarga upside the head with the Zamdrag's tail. it's spectacular. he sees what the audience sees, that Zeheart is actually probably the lamest Char clone ever created. it's far more than enough to make up for his "Mr. Bushido lets himself go" character design.
I SECOND THE MOTION!
The Aye's have it. Motion Carries.

In other words, yes. Agreed. The guy is a Douche, and completely happy to be that way. Go Zanald.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Admiral Larsen

Raptor wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:i just have to say that against all expectations at the outset of Kio's arc, Zanald Beihart has become my favorite character

he sold me when he smacked the Ghirarga upside the head with the Zamdrag's tail. it's spectacular. he sees what the audience sees, that Zeheart is actually probably the lamest Char clone ever created. it's far more than enough to make up for his "Mr. Bushido lets himself go" character design.
I SECOND THE MOTION!
The Aye's have it. Motion Carries.

In other words, yes. Agreed. The guy is a Douche, and completely happy to be that way. Go Zanald.

-Raptor, out.
Count my vote as well.
Arbiter GUNDAM

MarshalBraginsky wrote:Wouldn't Zeheart be tied with Full Frontal as the lamest Char clone ever? Also, it'd be interesting to see Kio tour the world of Vagan and actually see for himself what Flit wouldn't want to see.
Dude, even Full Frontal is a better Char than Zeheart! :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

MarshalBraginsky wrote:Wouldn't Zeheart be tied with Full Frontal as the lamest Char clone ever?
Am I missing something? Full Frontal lame?
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Why do we even need them in Gundam? I agree with Gundam Seed's approach to war orphans: have one of them, let it be a cute little girl, have her form a cutesy/sweet attachment to the main character, then blow her out of the sky as she and the other civilians descend through the atmosphere as horrid icing on the cake that is the protagonist's life.
Or does no one agree with me?
I actually agree with Soma for once. :shock:

Hahaha I know Duel, we have come so far. Actually I must give credit to the war orphans on this one. Dislike for them brings ALL Gundam fans together.

Upon reflection, I think comparing Kio's punch to Shinn stupidity is a little much. Kio is 13, who is desperate and no military training. Shinn went through training, and in his first battle throws one of his Anti-Ship Swords at the enemy...when he had boomerangs to WORK with!

Although I guess that is what I found so fun to watch about Destiny, when it came to Shinn's fighting you never knew if he planned the crap he did or just made it up as he went along. Some of the things he did just made me smile, shake my head fondly and go, "Oh Shinn...even I wouldn't do that." For Kio I just am depressed, he comes off as the scared little boy he is.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Outlaw

Two things:
1. Without his headgear Zanald reminds me of a gorilla. Mobile Suit Gundam + Planet of the Apes.
2. Did Asemu just ask for permission to go rescue his own son? Sorry, I'm pretty ever lovin' but even I think that's pathetic.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Sinquser

Well, really, Asemu's a pathetic father. He left his family to become a pirate. He has not given any explanation to this point about his decision to leave. It's only right he begged Flit to become Kio's father again.
HGGundamReviews

I'm sorry this is a day late, had Fathers Day stuff to do yesterday.

Gundam Age Episode 36 A Small Review

http://hggundamreviews.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html
Compass

Sinquser wrote:Well, really, Asemu's a pathetic father. He left his family to become a pirate. He has not given any explanation to this point about his decision to leave. It's only right he begged Flit to become Kio's father again.
He already did. He did not believe that following the process would have solved the problems considering there were traitors within the Federation. He pirated Federation vessels that had ties to Vagans. He provided Diva with the knowledge of EXA-DB that he was also searching for, and that both Federation and Vagan SF are searching for.

That Flit Asuno doesn't know about the EXA-DB should be a major red flag about elements within the Federation not wanting to cooperate with Flit's plan.

This reminds me of the Code Geass split, with Kururugi wanting to change the world via the system, and Lelouch fighting against the system. If the system is partially corrupt, does participating in it and working through red tape help? Perhaps, but not as efficiently as by directly pirating and destroying rogue elements.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
E08

yazi88 wrote:Seeing Zeheart as a terrible commander and then seeing him literally getting shoved around by those ranked below him in a mobile suit of all things ....
Zanald's rank seem to be the same as Zeheart and not below the latter. It has been mentioned twice i think that just like Zeheart, Zanald reports directly to Ezelcant.

As for Kio punching the cannon while it is charging, i think that it is more of a instinctive/reflex thing in trying to stop it from firing (notice how he immediately does it once he notice it is charging). He may be trying to damage it while it is charging and hope that the MS itself got damaged in the process. Unfortunately, he misjudged the charging time and fail. Some may wonder why he did not try using the long rifle as it seems to be a commonsensical thing to do and the simple reason is that it may not have cross his mind to use it. It is useful to remember that what seems to be a commonsensical thing may not occur to the person involve when he/she is doing it. I am rather sure that have occur to everyone one or more times, a simple example is not noticing the simple and direct answer to a question during exam.

edit: Forget to add this. I find Asem asking Flit for permission to rescue Kio to be rather reasonable as it is the latter that has been taking care of him so far. It is in a way similar to how some man have to seek permission from their ex-wife to visit their son after their divorce.
Sinquser

Compass wrote:He already did. He did not believe that following the process would have solved the problems considering there were traitors within the Federation. He pirated Federation vessels that had ties to Vagans. He provided Diva with the knowledge of EXA-DB that he was also searching for, and that both Federation and Vagan SF are searching for.
Not really. Those were the things he was doing all these years; not exactly the "reasons" why he left.
Neo_Senku

Best I can assume as to why Asemu left, was he thought that the EXA-DB was something that couldn't be allowed to fall into vagans hands. Knowing how the EFF works, i guess he assumed it would be better to chase after it this way as opposed the EFF who have been shown not to be reliable or trustworthy. Given Flit's demeanor one can assume thats why he did not let him in on it or let him or the rest of his family know. Given his whole character arc was about being his own man and not being in others shadows, perhaps he decided to be a savior in his own way by finding the EXA-DB, even if he is yet to be successful at it. Not saying it excuses him as bad parent and husband, but it works out better than pirating treasonous feddie ships expecting change. That just seemed like something to do as a side mission to the main goal.
Ya know what, We're All Gundam. ^_^

The Magnificent Bastard is an awesome trope.
kayone73

Just finished watching ep 36. While the storytelling and writing is a bit simplistic overall (much is spelled out clearly in dialogue and little is left to subtext subject to interpretation) I really like the current characterization of the relationship between Flit and Asemu. Flit clearly has a lot of rage & anger towards Asemu for everything he did from abandoning his former life & son, to the aforementioned piracy, but to see them have the nice staredown across comm screens was great. Their dynamic is much more interesting now compared to arc 2 where they barely explored the fact the two were father and son.

also Flit, unsurprisingly is continuing to fly more and more off the rails as he seems to be governed by emotion and rage, less of it being kept his check by his old age (we know how many elderly ppl in our own real lives will simply say and do what they want and not give a f***, compared to when they had to restrain themselves as younger adults in working society). I like how all of Flit's issues that have grown since childhood are all bubbling to the surface. And its pretty clear that Kio is going to be the buffer between the gen 1 and 2 father and son.

One thing I find interesting is how Kio just wants to badly get to know his father and for the most part is surprised but not angry knowing his father willingly abandoned his son & wife, but it seems to fit in his gentle personality to be forgiving.
Neo_Senku wrote:Best I can assume as to why Asemu left, was he thought that the EXA-DB was something that couldn't be allowed to fall into vagans hands. Knowing how the EFF works, i guess he assumed it would be better to chase after it this way as opposed the EFF who have been shown not to be reliable or trustworthy. Given Flit's demeanor one can assume thats why he did not let him in on it or let him or the rest of his family know. Given his whole character arc was about being his own man and not being in others shadows, perhaps he decided to be a savior in his own way by finding the EXA-DB, even if he is yet to be successful at it. Not saying it excuses him as bad parent and husband, but it works out better than pirating treasonous feddie ships expecting change. That just seemed like something to do as a side mission to the main goal.
yes it makes sense if after discovering the EXA-DB and the impact of it, he had to make that critical decision how to best deal with the issue. By faking his death he could be allowed to work on pursuing the DB with complete anonymitiy and impugnity without having to deal with the corrupt elements of the EFF he is fighting against. Obviously he could let his family know of his reasons. Now after 14 years with no success, did he make the right choice? Possibly not, but he was being a man, made his choice and lived with it. Knowing he was doing it for the safety of his planet, and more important, his family. At least that's probably the way he rationalized it in his mind.

And Flit's reaction to Asemu, as I've mentioned before is justified as his perception of Asemu is that he abandoned everyone he loved on what is kind of a longshot assumption, but also, because his turn to piracy has shamed the Asuno family name in Flit's mind and he was half serious when he told Kio, he'd prefer that Asemu was dead a federation hero than still be alive and a perceived disgrace. This further makes you wonder how fundamentally shaky was the relationship between Flit and Asemu even before Memories of Sid.

Anyways I like this character drama, and it doesn't involve any stupid romance elements either. Just a very Shakespearean/Greek tragedy kind of thing.
Compass

Imagine exactly how much Asemu would have to trust the Federation to turn the EXA-DB over. Imagine he found it as an EFF member. He turns it over to the science team, who just so happens to be double agents who send it to Vagan. Game over for EFF. Shanalua was bought so easily because she needed money, imagine how many spies there are considering it seems everyone and their teammate knows the position and status of Diva almost instantly.

By removing himself from the chain of command, he limits it to those people he knows he can trust. Hence why he gave Flit the data capsule regarding the existence of the EXA-DB that no one on board the ship knows about.

I agree that it could have been done better, such as explaining everything to Flit before leaving, but that's just how some people are. He easily could have justified not going back to Romary and Kio as knowing that they'd never be safe unless he found and destroyed/captured the EXA-DB. Asemu did what he did for what can be described as "the greater good."

And notice that Asemu, upon hearing that Kio is kidnapped, takes the opportunity to contact Flit and ASK FOR PERMISSION. He could have gone ahead and just driven off after the Vagans, but he cleared things up with Flit first. Asemu probably dropped everything he was doing to respond to the intel he received and then make the emergency call, mind you. Notice how both Asemu and Unoa are both 100 times more stable than Flit in their responses to their father than Flit is in general.

Asemu even pointed out that, had Flit requested EFF assistance for rescuing Kio, it would have taken a long time to mobilize support to rescue him. Red tape, the very thing that drove Asemu away from the Federation, is ironically the same thing that would hold Flit back from asking for help rescuing Kio.

As weird as it is, this development provides so much more anchor for recovering Asemu's disappointing end of arc. Hopefully we will see a lot more AGE-2 action to make up for the lack of AGE-2 action in the second arc.

Also, the war "orphans" seem to have been awkwardly placed back into the scene, now polishing MS parts.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

Compass wrote: Also, the war "orphans" seem to have been awkwardly placed back into the scene, now polishing MS parts.
Now that's a reason for war orphans. Use the little rats as slaves. :twisted: We all know they deserve it.

And thanks for rationalizing Asemu's reasons for leaving into a cohesive argument, Compass. At least now I have a half-way good explanation in my head, considering AGE will probably not give me one...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Personally I think Asemu only asked permission cause He was A banking on showing Flit he could be trusted and B The Orbital was pretty thrashed he may have wanted to get the gundam Parts so Kio could help his own rescue
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
kayone73

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote:Personally I think Asemu only asked permission cause He was A banking on showing Flit he could be trusted and B The Orbital was pretty thrashed he may have wanted to get the gundam Parts so Kio could help his own rescue
This.

As a pirate, Asemu could do anything he wanted without anyone's permission, including rescuing his own son, but he did it as a gesture of good faith and his first real attempt to reach out and connect with his father whom he hasn't spoken to in 13 years. I'm sure he expected some amount of crap from Flit, an deservedly so.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Yeah but I also think he want to earn Flit's trust and I think he knew h would need the gundam parts either way I am psyched for pirate rescue
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU