The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
toysdream

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

Deacon Blues wrote:Another odd point that I just noticed in the animation, which I can't tell if it's an error or what. The Nahal Argama was ordered to standby on April 15th. They were on standby for over twenty days yet the date behind Otto clearly says 04/15/0096. So unless their system hasn't reflected any changes since then, someone did an oopsie daisy and didn't date check.
From what I recall when I was checking the text for that one, it's the date (and time) the standby order was issued. So the current date would be early May.
balofo wrote: LMAO! There is Confeito(Portuguese for sweet) in place of Konpeitoh in a map!
Yep, queried that one with Sunrise, and that's how they wanted it spelled. It was "Confeito" in the Japanese-release Gundam III DVD subtitles, too. This is actually the source of the name, because Solomon is shaped like a confeito candy.

-- Mark
Admiral Larsen

Still I got to ask a question here, what the hell was Mineva thinking telling Full Frontal the final destination for Laplace's Box.
balofo

Admiral Larsen wrote:Still I got to ask a question here, what the hell was Mineva thinking telling Full Frontal the final destination for Laplace's Box.

In the novels she was afraid the Sleeves would just torture Banaji to death to extract the final destination, so she revelead it so they couldn't lay a finger on the Zabi heir
EscapeArtist

balofo wrote:
Admiral Larsen wrote:Still I got to ask a question here, what the hell was Mineva thinking telling Full Frontal the final destination for Laplace's Box.

In the novels she was afraid the Sleeves would just torture Banaji to death to extract the final destination, so she revelead it so they couldn't lay a finger on the Zabi heir
Makes sense. Had they arrived at Loum and nothing happened, FF would have been pissed.

Also, the reason Mineva escaped in ep 1 and tried stopping the delivery was because she thought she was stopping a war. Given FF's revealed objective, keeping the information from him seemed less critical.

Plus, imagine the "what if" scenario of Otto breaking off the alliance without FF knowing where to go. The Nahel Argama would face Full Frontal's Counterattack as FF goes after Banagher.
Deacon Blues

If there's one thing that I don't like about this adaptation is that it overlooks all of the smaller groups that have helped contribute to the Sleeves cause: EGM, the Wind Society (or is that supposed to be something else for 風の会), etc. It's always we did this, we did that, we're gonna do this. Riiiiight.

Plus, my biggest gripe is with Frontal acting all high and mighty as a "vessel" that's speaking on behalf of EVERYONE in space. Something tells me that if there was some sort of consensus poll taken, most spacenoids wouldn't care anymore...
Andrew_Graruru

Deacon Blues wrote:If there's one thing that I don't like about this adaptation is that it overlooks all of the smaller groups that have helped contribute to the Sleeves cause: EGM, the Wind Society (or is that supposed to be something else for 風の会), etc. It's always we did this, we did that, we're gonna do this. Riiiiight.

Plus, my biggest gripe is with Frontal acting all high and mighty as a "vessel" that's speaking on behalf of EVERYONE in space. Something tells me that if there was some sort of consensus poll taken, most spacenoids wouldn't care anymore...
I kinda thought that was the point. He acts like an impartial 'vessel' for the collective will, but in doing so has become so disconnected from humanity and normal-society that he can no longer claim to speak for them.

And yeah, it sucks that those little details had to be left out. I was especially disappointed we didn't get the stuff about Garvey enterprises during the Earth Arc. I suppose they have to streamline it somewhat though.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Kratos

As somebody who has never read the novel, there are certain parts where it's obvious that something has been left out, and parts that really could have used expansion. I have never felt that the backers of the Sleeves needed elaboration; maybe it's big in the novels, but whatever the case, the OVA has made perfect sense without them. How would their inclusion add anything? Same with the Garveys: while Loni honestly needed far more development than she was given, I'm actually glad that they left out the whole Garvey subplot. The whole Islam thing always struck me as irrelevant.

As for Frontal and the general public: he can believe what he wants to about himself in regards to being a "vessel", but I never really got the impression that he planned on publicly running for any sort of leadership over the Sides, or anything. My understanding of his plan is that his own - and, by extension, Neo Zeon's - involvement is entirely under-the-table, using the Box as blackmail to keep the Federation from interfering while Side 3 starts the conversation about this Co-Prosperity Sphere.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
HellCat

I think the issue of Loni and this episode in particular are two sides of the same coin. This was to be the end point originally. I look at how much great stuff was in this episode and wonder how much of it would have been completely lost if an episode 7 was never rubber stamped? It kind of makes the argument that really 6 episodes wasn't really enough from the start. I'm not saying keep every little thing from the novels but a character like Loni really got screwed over. I'm pretty sure there's a reason the manga, which draws more from the animation, is drawing from the novel version of her instead (it's apparent mission to painfully draw out the plot also helps :p ).
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I kinda went "bleh" on how they started the episode; yeah we get it, FF is a bad@$$ pilot, adding in even more material to the one-sided fight we saw at the end of episode 5 just to ridiculously highlight his uber skills was just distasteful. :(

Sure it worked out in the end, but Mikott and those others were pretty stupid for forcing the situation the way they did. They had absolutely no idea the ECOAS were ready to deal with the situation, and if it weren't for that there'd be a lot of bodies lying around regardless of who came out on top. And acting like your average war-mongering Gundam emo teenager ("they killed our people so screw them!") and bloodthirsty Gundam revenge-ists was less than admirable of them. It doesn't help that we just had an ugly taste of "They killed our families so we'll kill innocent uninvolved civilians!" leaving a bad taste in our mouths the episode before last.

A bit late, but:
Kratos wrote:Second:
Spoiler
But why didn't Angelo take out the bridge crew when things went sour, or open fire in the hangar bay once Frontal was safe in the cockpit with him? If Banagher is no longer necessary, why didn't Frontal kill him? Why didn't the ECOAS commander shoot Frontal when he had the chance? Any of those actions are perfectly logical things to do in those scenarios, and none of those men have shown any issues with doing dirty work when necessary. The Frontal/Angelo stuff in particular really took away from the sense of urgency and made a good chunk of their escape attempt feel half-hearted.
A few things you overlooked when you pointed these out:

Angelo was trying to get the heck out of there without dying. He was one guy in a small room where he couldn't see, against at least five guys with his own guys already neutralized. Sticking around for a gunfight wouldn't have been just tactically unwise, it would have been stupid.
FF was still trying to persuade Banagher to his view, hence why he reminded him that he's fair game now.
The ECOAS commander didn't shoot FF because he was afraid he'd hit Banagher.
MaC

I believe we'll see that all of Frontal's "Vessel" talk will be tied into his origin. He says "only those who have been emptied out can become a vessel". Whatever he is, it isn't normal. If he's Char then the Psycho-Frame resonance experience did something wild to him. And I believe this lack of inherit humanity will of course lead to his destruction and explain the emptiness of his ideas.
Deacon Blues

MaC wrote:I believe we'll see that all of Frontal's "Vessel" talk will be tied into his origin. He says "only those who have been emptied out can become a vessel". Whatever he is, it isn't normal. If he's Char then the Psycho-Frame resonance experience did something wild to him. And I believe this lack of inherit humanity will of course lead to his destruction and explain the emptiness of his ideas.
Clearly he hasn't been "emptied out" then. He isn't quite the puppet he was made out to be in the end...
Zero Revenge

Kratos wrote:The whole Islam thing always struck me as irrelevant.
Where and how does Islam come into play into Unicorn?
Mythgarr

Zero Revenge wrote:
in the novel, Loni Garvey is a daughter of Mahdi Garvey, a wealthy man and a Muslim who hates "the white men".
Visit The Dreams
Zero Revenge

Really? Wow! I need to go find an English translation of these novels.

...Hmm... How... how does he feel about working with the White people in Zeon? [Full Frontal etc] if that comes up...?
zetatype

Zero Revenge wrote:Really? Wow! I need to go find an English translation of these novels.

...Hmm... How... how does he feel about working with the White people in Zeon? [Full Frontal etc] if that comes up...?
Umm...the enemy of my enemy is my friend?
Mythgarr wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:
in the novel, Loni Garvey is a daughter of Mahdi Garvey, a wealthy man and a Muslim who hates "the white men".
I thought Madi Garvey's hated of the federation was due to the fact they destroyed his country and its culture when the federation was bringing all of the earth's nations into its fold.
Zero Revenge

zetatype wrote:I thought Madi Garvey's hated of the federation was due to the fact they destroyed his country and its culture when the federation was bringing all of the earth's nations into its fold.
This sounds way more plausible.
Amadi Akintunde

Zero Revenge wrote:
zetatype wrote:I thought Madi Garvey's hated of the federation was due to the fact they destroyed his country and its culture when the federation was bringing all of the earth's nations into its fold.
This sounds way more plausible.
And with the adoption of the Universal Century calendar in place of Anno Domini, he also felt that the Federation was essentially "destroying God".
Amion

That's basically what I thought the new Federation President was saying in episode one. Funny how the Universal Century went. Which drives home Merida's point about people trying to find a new light, and that light being Zeon.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deacon Blues

Is it me or is there something that just sounds off with this dub versus all the others? 0_o; I think it's anything that's said over the radio waves.