The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk V

flamingtroll wrote:
Calubin_175 wrote:I was surprised that the bazooka rounds didn't get intercepted by AA guns.
I don't think they were even firing their AA guns. They were trying to shoot it down with their main guns though
And remember people, those bazooka rounds were going three times faster.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deacon Blues

Calubin_175 wrote:I was surprised that the bazooka rounds didn't get intercepted by AA guns. Were the shots that fast? The good thing about Unicorn is that it showcased the effectiveness of some existing UC 0090s technologies never had the chance previously, such as beam coated shields in episode 3, scatter rounds, time delayed explosives, beam dispersion fields and the advantage of long range bazooka rounds in anti-vessel combat.
The beam dispersion fields were first used in the original Gundam series :S
Amion

I also noticed the beam dispersion fields particularly. Glad to see they brought those back. This is for the technology thread more than anything, but I always wondered why the Argama or other vessels in Zeta never used them...Ah well. It didn't help the General Revil any bit.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Ah, but the Argama and the White Base possess Plot Armor™!! :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
latenlazy

Maybe they just didn't have any?
Calubin_175

Come to think of it, games such as G Generation and Giren no Yabou have always had a minovsky particle dispersion action command on warships, dampening beam weapons. In the Windows 95 game Gundam Tactics, warships have a shield bar which is only depleted when faced against warship beams and MS beam rifles. Bazookas can bypass the shield bar and deal direct damage.

Frontal's beam rifle actually did a fair bit of damage prior to the deployment of the field. Beam dispersion is considered to be common practice and should not be overlooked.

When the Jegan charged in with their beam sabers, the beams appeared to be thinned by the field.
flamingtroll

Beam dispersion works both way though, so it may have a more strategical value than pure defense weaponry. It certainly didn't work well for General Revil in the preview when all of their suits carry beam weapons. AA cover fire would have probably been a lot more effective in this situation against a single MS without any covers from debris or asteroids. I can already imagine Bright shouting about AA cover being too thin on the port side. I am guessing they are making a point that everyone on General Revil including the captain is a n00b?
latenlazy

Well, also keep this in mind. AA fire has a sweet spot. If the target's too far the density of fire is thin and easy to avoid. If the target is too close it's out of the line of sight of many of your guns. Compound the fact that they had many mobile suits out there which would increase the risk of friendly fire, and perhaps a staunch belief that no matter how skilled the pilot is if you outnumber them you can corner them, and you get what we saw. They didn't have to be stupid or make a tactical blunder to have gotten owned. It turns out that Full Frontal is just THAT good, and why shouldn't he be? Aces like a Char or Amuro are so rare regular military exercises probably don't account for them.
Amion

See. I said it the first time, those shells are being fired from a red mobile suit, of course they're better. The piloting and beam fire too. You just can't can't keep those Char clones down. :D
Homeless

The stagnant fanbase running overused jokes further into the ground is oddly fitting given Unicorn's themes.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Amion

Homeless wrote:The stagnant fanbase running overused jokes further into the ground is oddly fitting given Unicorn's themes.
Honestly though. Considering what Full frontal is, I'm surprised they didn't just outright use that as a viable excuse for him to nonchalantly drive off a gigantic battleship.

Though now that I recall, and to shoot down my own argument, The Dogosse Gier was shot down quickly by Reccoa, though that might have been because she and the other Jupitris pilots were broadcasting friendly signals or whatnot. *Shrugs*
Kratos

Homeless wrote:The stagnant fanbase running overused jokes further into the ground is oddly fitting given Unicorn's themes.
Heaven forbid somebody should have fun discussing a Gundam series!
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Thrawnma

Unicorn isn't meant to be fun, it's meant to be self-congratulatory, and a whitewash of a genocidal bunch of supremacists

Kinda similar to a white power Nazi movement. Except these guys have giant robots so they're cool with the kids.
Kratos

I don't know what show you've been watching, but Unicorn has hardly "whitewashed" any Zeon elements or factions (which I assume is what you meant). The remnants are meant to be pathetic, certainly - trapped in a self-delusional obsession over a war that ended 15 years prior, and having that obsession (and their lives) co-opted for a totally different cause. But it's not cast in even remotely a good light, and as for the Sleeves, Full Frontal has been depicted as nothing but shifty and untrustworthy throughout. I guess there are some likable Sleeves characters, but if you're going to call that whitewashing, then that accusation belongs to the original series too.

And even if that were true, even if the series weren't meant to be any kind of fun for anybody, then that still doesn't give anybody license to just start pissing on those who are finding ways to have fun with it.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
latenlazy

Last I checked, the Shamblo was shown blowing up civilian settlements while tragic music played in the background. How that glorifies Zeon escapes me.
Xenosynth

Wow. This series isn't even done and the polarizing opinions have appeared. Normally it's not until after a series is done that I heard this happens with Gundam.

Comparing an anime about giant robots in a fictional war to a white power movement. That's a new level of complete derp that I never thought would occur on here. Besides, it's funny that you have such a negative view yet have still stated that 08th and Destiny are both the worst. No need to be such a negative nancy.

Especially when Zeon is still shown for the most part as bad guys. I doubt the Shamblo and innocent deaths caused in the colony in episode one were meant to be taken as only the EFF's fault.

I usually hate blind optimism for a series but also polarizing in the negative is pretty... lame? To say the least.
Admiral Larsen

Part of it is the display of the Federation being utterly virtually incompentent in virtually every fight despite having the larger resources while the Sleeves of Neo Zeon, despite lacking such resources have managed to build their suits as well as build something so large as the Shamblo.

I guess its just they're tired of the glorification of Zeon, (a more extreme version is MS Igloo) and that if there must be more Fed vs Zeon conflicts animated and such, then how about truly calling Zeon out on all of its crimes, (and I mean really calling them out). Then again considering the country that makes these shows and its own past history... (shrug).

Of course they're tired of most of the old tropes shown in Gundam.
latenlazy

I think Banagher does a pretty good job of calling out Zeon's crimes...but if it's vindictive punishment you're looking for (some would call it justice), that kinda misses the message. Gundam as a franchise has really moved on from the typical "right vs wrong" framework and kinda gotten into the holier than thou "war is sad" themes. If that's the problem you have with the series, that's fine, but I think it's unfair and inaccurate to tie that problem to "Zeon glorification".

Also for what it's worth, what we're getting is less Zeek glorification than Special Mech glorification. The Zeon remnants in Episode 4 eventually get wiped out, and most of the Kshatriya's attache get destroyed by Re-ZELs. You also see a fair number of Neo Zeon's Paula forces getting destroyed. When the Feds are outmatched, it's often by custom mobile suits. The Kshatriya, Shinanju, and Rozen Zulu account for a significant number of Zeon kills, and they're all piloted by aces no less.
Amion

That's a good point to make. Reinforces the need for monsters of the week er-suits of the week. Give them to an ace and let them run wild. I wonder why the EFF hasn't done that more with its own technology? In episode 4 the Byarlant went on a rampage and did more damage than a bunch of GMs.
BrentD15

Amion wrote:That's a good point to make. Reinforces the need for monsters of the week er-suits of the week. Give them to an ace and let them run wild. I wonder why the EFF hasn't done that more with its own technology? In episode 4 the Byarlant went on a rampage and did more damage than a bunch of GMs.
It sounds more like "Suit of the Episode," as I demonstrate with the following examples:
Episode 1: Kshatriya
Episode 2: Sinanju
Episode 3: Delta Plus
Episode 4: Byalant Custom
Episode 5: Rozen Zulu

If anyone has any suggestions to edit this, let me know.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25