Victory Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
lgcsc

Re: Victory Gundam

Chroni(o?)cle Asher, despite how underused and out of focus he was, is also one of nicest char clones considering how he routinely goes about honor and principles and even his personal beef with uso is due to him trying to defend katejina (despite how misguided he was). Really, isn't he like the only one that remained loyal to a certain faction to the end?

But I really don't get why Zanscare is considered to be so cartoonnishly evil when it's strategy doesn't revolve on mass slaughter like, say, Zeon.
Dark Duel

My opinion? It's the bug-eyed mecha and giant motorcycle battleships. Of course, I only ever saw the first few episodes of V and that was years ago, so I'm going off of first impression of those episodes plus what's on the site as far as mecha info.
I really need to find some time to watch V in its entirety >_<
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

lgcsc wrote: But I really don't get why Zanscare is considered to be so cartoonnishly evil when it's strategy doesn't revolve on mass slaughter like, say, Zeon.
Angel Halo.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Fritz Ashlyn

The guillotine. Destroying major cities. You know, the usual signs of being not-nice people.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Helen getting crushed into a pulp.
Mahalia being burned alive.
Kate being vaporised.
Junko being blown to tiny bits by a bomb.
Peggy getting blown up rather nastily by Chronicle.
Uso' mother being decapitated.
Katejina shanking a kid.
Stuff like that. Oh and Keilas Guilie probably could have been used just like the Memento Mori.

--Freyja Wion
ShadowCell

the motorcycle battleships that, i should note, are used for the specific purpose of crushing cities under their wheels.
Jake

^ They were just "Pressing out the land" :D
HellCat

SD Gundam kinda had fun with the battleships. A giant Musha MS hijacks one to use as a motorbike and, armed with a custom made shotgun, creates merry hell.

Because SD is awesome like that.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
HellCat

I'm really starting to hate Shakti. There's being terrified of war and not wanting to get involved and then there's what she does. I'm 11 episodes in now and the constant 'Should Uso and Shakti go back to their cabin?' reminds me of the awkward start ZZ had with Judau borrowing the Zeta but not commiting to help.
Amion

HellCat wrote:I'm really starting to hate Shakti. There's being terrified of war and not wanting to get involved and then there's what she does. I'm 11 episodes in now and the constant 'Should Uso and Shakti go back to their cabin?' reminds me of the awkward start ZZ had with Judau borrowing the Zeta but not commiting to help.
I think episode eleven is the end of that. Or maybe episode 12...
Spoiler
Then in episode 39, they go back
I actually liked V gundam, and this is the first time I see the Zanscare being called cartoonish. Yes the battleships will haunt my memory as the most idiotic designs ever, but the actions of Zanscare were just too evil IMO to call them cartoony. And there were sympathetic characters!....Even if most I can think of end up dead.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
HellCat

15 episodes in and I'm really enjoying this show. I have to wonder quite why Tomino asks fans to ignore it since there's alot of subtle touches in it that go along way. The dinner scene with the subtle sound of Griffon's spoon clinking the bowl as she shakes in fear adds a wonderful level of drama and really sells her terror. That said, the actual fate is somewhat grim yet cartoony. I almost expected a Goofy yell when she was shot out into space.

Uso adapting space was also a nice change. Usually we see a space born pilot have to deal with the more rigid Earth physics but here it's the exact opposite and obviously more relatable.
Man, some really bizarre stuff ends up in space. Twigs and buildings?
It was nice to see a cameo from the Abigor. Bought the kit on eBay, keen to see it in action. I'm also intrigued by BESPA again. They have a code that blends honour with horror.

I can't help feeling the Shrikes wouldn't die so quickly if they didn't favour dramatic attacks that left them open. I can only compare them to Max from AGE.
Arbiter GUNDAM

HellCat wrote: I can't help feeling the Shrikes wouldn't die so quickly if they didn't favour dramatic attacks that left them open. I can only compare them to Max from AGE.
Well it certainly wasn't a dramatic attack that ended up killing Kate(?), just a douche who felt like vaporizing her. Although Junko definitely seems to have a death wish, as you'll see later on. And as bad as Max? Good lord man, they're not that bad. :D

--Freyja Wion
Khandri

I just started on Victory about a week ago myself and am through episode 16; it's something I've been meaning to watch for a while, but I hadn't been able to track down the full series until recently. I knew going in that this was going to be an unpleasant one to watch (it's not exactly a secret anymore), but I don't think I was quite prepared for just how bad it would be.

Since the scene is still pretty fresh in my mind (just watched that episode last night), Kate's death was particularly unsettling for me for the reasons you mentioned--her killer was just an enormous jerk. I have an intense dislike for people like that, whether real or fictional. On the other hand, I really liked Uso's interaction with the stranded/injured BESPA pilots in space, proving that even on the enemy side, there are still some decent people.

Overall, though, I am enjoying Victory, depressing and gruesome as it can be. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
HellCat

There must be something wrong with me because so far I haven't found anything depressing and I'm a guy who usually reacts to such themes. There have certainly been dark moments but I'd say Zeta was worse for pointless blood shed. Victory actually seems better structured and the deaths have a point.

Maybe it's just because I've got some real crap going on in my life right now so Victory has an 'eye of the storm' effect for me?
teslashark

Isn't the name BESPA related to the Vesp scooters?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
PowerdGNFlag

teslashark wrote:Isn't the name BESPA related to the Vesp scooters?
I was thinking of the exact same thing this morning! Maybe Duker Iq had a hand in naming it.

Zanscare: Hey, what do we name our newfangled bug-eyed army?
Duker Iq, always the classical motorcycle fanatic: VESPA!
Z: BESPA, what?
(Duker Iq makes up a meaning on the spot)
Z: Perfect!
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
teslashark

PowerdGNFlag wrote:
teslashark wrote:Isn't the name BESPA related to the Vesp scooters?
I was thinking of the exact same thing this morning! Maybe Duker Iq had a hand in naming it.

Zanscare: Hey, what do we name our newfangled bug-eyed army?
Duker Iq, always the classical motorcycle fanatic: VESPA!
Z: BESPA, what?
(Duker Iq makes up a meaning on the spot)
Z: Perfect!
Well, he can say it's exactly because of these insect eye cameras...
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
HellCat

Episode 17 is weird. It kind of works as a clip show but some things to seem odd to highlight. How does Bike Guy know Chronicle met Shakti in the woods? And no mention of him going undercover and capturing the Count?
Amion

HellCat wrote:15 episodes in and I'm really enjoying this show. I have to wonder quite why Tomino asks fans to ignore it since there's alot of subtle touches in it that go along way. The dinner scene with the subtle sound of Griffon's spoon clinking the bowl as she shakes in fear adds a wonderful level of drama and really sells her terror. That said, the actual fate is somewhat grim yet cartoony. I almost expected a Goofy yell when she was shot out into space.
Spoiler
In regards to the supposedly cheesy death: It's all an elaborate plot so Tassilo can reclaim her after Kagati thinks she's dead. He plans to rebel, and since she's a deadly newtype known as the battlefield comet, he takes her back, gives her two mobile suits of incredible potential, one of which is my precious Gangoazo, and lets her run wild through the battlefield :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
2NA Fish

HellCat wrote:15 episodes in and I'm really enjoying this show. I have to wonder quite why Tomino asks fans to ignore it since there's alot of subtle touches in it that go along way.
Tomino's stated that he thinks the only decent things about Victory are the character design and music. He's said that before Victory is an example of a series twisted by the producers, noting that it taught him that the people dishing out the money were more important to making a good series than he previously thought.

During interviews from the time he was depressed, he even knocked the staff, saying things like "It was shocking looking at the lack of ability coming from staff who had supposedly been working in the industry for years." Animators would come to him and apologise for not being able to draw scenes to the standards he wanted. Unfortunately, when you look at Victory, there are some scenes where characters and other objects are drawn skewed, with proportions off, or with rather crude lines.