The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Thread Mk V

schwarz ritter wrote: To clear something up: I'm just trolling. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I was just trying to add a little bad humor in this discussion, that's all.
I'd be careful then because the last AGE troll we had... the mods beat him to death with their gold-plated Gundanium hammers of justice. 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

^Actually that was mostly Soma, she said Vent was going to get it from her and she managed to find her sledgehammer. :P
I love it when people say that AGE doesn't seem as dark as "older" Gundam shows.
At this point I am considering Age darker than Zeta and seeing it as the second darkest series after Victory. Not sure why X could be considered dark, it had an adventurous tone to it.
Dark Duel

X is not really, no (is rewatching it currently). If anything, it's remarkably upbeat given its post-apocalyptic setting, though most of that is due to Garrod and the usually amusing shenanigans he gets up to.
That, and the psychic albino dolphin.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Raptor

As far as Darkness goes, I'd still put F91 over AGE, though not by much, and mainly because of the Bits. I mean, those are literally spinning blades of death that ruthlessly murder as many people as possible.

00 and Victory had quite a few moments too, but Zeta still takes the cake. Especially with the ending.

Ah. That Dolphin. The one thing I warn people of when I recommend X to them.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Arbiter GUNDAM

DuelGundam2099 wrote:^Actually that was mostly Soma, she said Vent was going to get it from her and she managed to find her sledgehammer. :P
Actually I was talking about TetraVaal.

--Freyja Wion
schwarz ritter

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
schwarz ritter wrote: To clear something up: I'm just trolling. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I was just trying to add a little bad humor in this discussion, that's all.
I'd be careful then because the last AGE troll we had... the mods beat him to death with their gold-plated Gundanium hammers of justice. 8)

Hehe, I'll take note on that ;) Although I prefer the Goldion Bancrushers.

Dark Duel wrote:X is not really, no (is rewatching it currently). If anything, it's remarkably upbeat given its post-apocalyptic setting, though most of that is due to Garrod and the usually amusing shenanigans he gets up to.
That, and the psychic albino dolphin.
Indeed. That's why its my favorite Gundam series: because its tone is completely different from the rest, and yet it has the sexy Gundam flavor.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Deacon Blues

Gundam AGE, dark? Surely you jest!
GX9900-Gundam-X

I don't know guys the Hero being a Genocidal grandpa a political purge and the whole of the bloody deaths we have seen AGE is pretty damn dark
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
DuelGundam2099

Gundam AGE, dark? Surely you jest!
I am jesting? I thought I was speaking the truth.
Actually I was talking about TetraVaal.
That's who I meant, for some reason I thought it was Vent. :lol:
schwarz ritter

I think that what Deacon means is that, compared to other Gundam series, AGE's setting seems like flowers and rainbows compared to them....
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Compass

AGE gives off that happy world butterflies vibe, but the characters are (for the most part) well-developed enough that you care when they die. Shanalua was only around for like 20 minutes, but even then, I felt pretty bad.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Strike Zero

Why are people so hung up about whether or not Gundam AGE has become "dark" anyway? It's not as though "dark" is automatically synonymous with "good."

Besides, just because Gundam AGE has gone ahead and killed a few likeable characters here and there automatically makes it a "dark" story?

Yeah, sorry, I'm just not seeing it. If we were to go by that criteria, then even G Gundam would have to be considered dark, and G is pretty much the most positive and upbeat Gundam series we've ever gotten.

But what about Flit's supposed genocidal agenda, you say, certainly that has driven the narrative into the hallowed grimdark territory! Well, no, not really. The show hasn't given me a whole lot of reason to feel bothered by that either. Of course, genocide is not something that should be supported in any real-world scenario, but the point against it kinda loses its impact when the targets of the extermination have been so far shown to be nothing but a murderous bunch of fanatical zealots and bloodthirsty nutjobs.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
ShadowCell

on the other hand,
happy world butterflies
is equally off the mark, since the entire premise of this show started out with mysterious attackers effortlessly wiping out entire space colonies, and since then it's been nothing but constant war. the few times we get to see the world outside of the war, it's times like the attack on Olivernotes, when war is being brought to the civilians, and that's not particularly happy.

so, really, in this respect AGE is pretty much square in the middle of the other Gundam shows, not as upbeat and optimistic as G or X but not as relentlessly grimdark as Zeta and Victory.

none of which has any bearing on, say, the quality of the writing.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Reeoyuy has a point. What i'm worried about is that after this, the next production team that Sunrise approaches for the next AU will say, "Thanks but we really don't want to have to go through the drama of making a show that everyone is going to hate unreasonably."

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

Besides, just because Gundam AGE has gone ahead and killed a few likeable characters here and there automatically makes it a "dark" story?
Not really, what makes Age so dark is that it manages to draw out war for an extremely long period of time if you think about it. As much as people will say how dark something like Zeta or Wing or even 00, Age has something to it's darkness others simply didn't: Time. Lets look at how long oppressive/antagonistic forces in Gundam have been around to do horrible things:

-Zeon: 1 year plus a few months depending on whether you place Operation Stardust; of course due to how much effort was put in, their remnants would last for a very long time.
-Titans: 4 years if that, the most notorious of the bunch but their first year was more for establishing themselves before getting their rep.
-Neo Zeon: 8 years from the time of ZZ to Unicorn, some of the years between ZZ and CCA are debatable since a "Second NZ War" would imply they stopped for a while.
-Crossbone Vanguard: I'm not 100% sure on F91's time scale so I'd say...... A month?
-Zanscare Empire: Not sure on the exact time scale, although unlike the Titans which were simply brute force they also had a nurturing side to them (at least for women), making them somewhat of a collective universal entity; the use of Angel Halo highlighted this.
-Devil Gundam: Months?
-Earth Sphere Alliance: 15 years (16 depending on how far you take EW) if I remember correctly although not a brutal as much as they were just constant enforcement; it slowly fell apart under it's own divisions and whatnot, the political structure was poor once the gundams started coming about.
-United Nations Earth/Space Revolutionary Army: They managed to survive an apocalypse after 15, but although we haven't seen much of the latter the former could barely maintain any control outside of Asia and a few islands of the Pacific. Arguably they are the least threatening of the bunch.
-Moonrace: ......... Nothing. Seriously, they're just pacifists on the moon and one of their warriors found a high tech suit, got some friends together, and formed a gang.
-Earth Alliance/ZAFT: At each others' throats in the span of two years, after year one ZAFT managed to create a super weapon strong enough to completely dry out the planet (fortunately this did not happen) while EA has nuke-like weapons that can destroy a base right out under itself. In the second year the EA made an orbital weapon that could blast entire cities away from orbit while ZAFT rebuilt their monster. All of this came out of taught hatred for one another from war-lovers. In other words, nobody was safe.
-ALAWS: 4 years give or take; very similar to the Titans although much more "contained" by simply replacing genocide with autonomous authority fast and hard similar to the ESA/OZ.

Now lets take a look at Vagan:

69 years of attacking, longer than all other gundam antags combined. Their attacks destroyed colonies (like the Titans) and in "contained" incidents (like the ALAWS) with somehow massive amounts of resources (like Zeon/Neo Zeon) and with soldiers bred for hatred against the enemy (like EA and ZAFT) with the inability to negotiate for peace (like UNE/RSA). Take this into account the massive influence they have had (like ESA) not just for Flit's generation, but also the other generations that were formed in these years. Over half a century of open war in space with seemingly both sides waning until Vagan finally launch an assault on Earth, catching countless by surprise. From an "in-universe" stand point, they are the worst kind enemy: The kind that remain constant. At the end of the day, is that not the worst type of enemy one could fight against?
ShadowCell

and yet that point would only hold if it wasn't something you had to extrapolate from logical implications and the very occasional hint in the show. so no, you still can't say AGE is the darkest Gundam show ever or whatever. it doesn't fling constant suffering in the viewer's face like V or Zeta. it doesn't generate a sense of foreboding and pain, anymore than it does a sense of optimism and adventure. it doesn't mean the show has actually treated all that stuff as if it's "dark."

so, yeah, the expanded universe fanfiction of Gundam AGE going on in your head might be darker than Warhammer 40K, but then you're not talking about the show anymore.
Raptor

How did we get to here from a simple discussion of whether AGE was dark or not? And as said above, darkness does not determine whether or not a story is good.

Where would you guys rank AGE's story so far? I personally would say a 4 out of 5, or a 7.5 out of 10. No the greatest, but not terrible. I'm enjoying it, anyway.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
DuelGundam2099

I guess the moral of this story is that not everyone has the same definition for "dark". :lol:
No the greatest, but not terrible.
Pretty much this, Flit's arc was executed better while Asemu's arc had more going for it. Kio's arc is going to be make or break and so far I have not found a real issue with it; only thing that comes close is that I don't care for this arc's ending theme.
Sume Gai

numerically I wouldn't rate it quite that high but the general feeling of "fun but not outstanding" I can agree with. I like a lot of the ideas this series has (a generational conflict, a family tradition of Gundam Pilot) but feel it's execution of them is too rushed, especially in the second arc.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
HellCat

Whenever this debate happens, I always end up thinking of that guy Bandai paid to play Astonaige at Toy Fair- "The happy world of G Gundam is gone!"

I do agree the time factor is fairly dark. The idea that this war has lasted 70 years and that there really seems to be no solution beyond 'Wipe those other guys out' is grim stuff. Of course being dark isn't a sign of quality. Zeta gets pretty dark and quite often I found those moments to be forced melodrama and less so a story exploring dark themes.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.