The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
mobiusdiablo

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

At least it's no Strike Freedom. And it's show that against some enemies (i.e. Desil and Zeheart), he still has some difficulty and needs to rely on skill/talent rather than the suit itself. Magicians Eight on the other hand are so low rent, they're named grunts. Expies of Code Geass's Knights of the Round.

As for this X-Rounder supression thing, I don't buy it; I think it's more clever feinting and skill rather than some mystical ability, not reacting the way that the X-Rounder believes that they would (and given that it was proposed the X-Rounder ability was a regression, theoretically that means they have good reflexes but are predictable) Mere speculation, I know.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Homeless

The better question is why there apparently NEEDS to be a Char clone.

But we're dealing with Gundam fans here so I already know the disappointing answer.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
HellCat

Something to keep in mind is that Double Bullet is directly based on Asemu's combat preferences, so it's natural he's going to do better with it then a Gundam which is just basically an update of the AGE-1 Normal with the data of his few uses of that. I do agree it's a bit overpowered (reminds me of a cross between GN Arms and 00 Raiser) but it is a custom unit based on both his preferences and where he's been struggling against X-Rounders.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Compass

mobiusdiablo wrote:At least it's no Strike Freedom. And it's show that against some enemies (i.e. Desil and Zeheart), he still has some difficulty and needs to rely on skill/talent rather than the suit itself. Magicians Eight on the other hand are so low rent, they're named grunts. Expies of Code Geass's Knights of the Round.

As for this X-Rounder supression thing, I don't buy it; I think it's more clever feinting and skill rather than some mystical ability, not reacting the way that the X-Rounder believes that they would (and given that it was proposed the X-Rounder ability was a regression, theoretically that means they have good reflexes but are predictable) Mere speculation, I know.
Before, I may have considered that a possibility. However, both Desil and Flit have the ability to sense each other in a Newtype fashion. It didn't happen just in A2, either. In the first arc, Flit definitely envisioned Desil was inside his suit through "extrasensory" means.

In addition, Zeheart predicting the photon laser firing could have simply been a technical assessment, but he did have an X-Rounder flash prior to realizing what was about to happen. Certainly, he wasn't expecting the attack at all until his senses triggered.

The fact that X-Rounders who normally have the capability of dodging beams and predicting movements are dying left and right through being "surprised" (a whopping 4 X-Rounders now) by Double Bullet seems awfully convenient, if they're not surprised by most other attacks from even BEAM SPAM.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Homeless

"He actually had an even more special power than the X-Rounders" sounds like a pretty terrible conclusion to a plotline about how you don't need special powers to be great.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
DuelGundam2099

Or DG2009 is WAY too dense to understand something most other Macross fans understand.
Talk about uncalled for right there.

So.... Why exactly did the Strike Freedom come up in conversation here?
Compass

Homeless wrote:"He actually had an even more special power than the X-Rounders" sounds like a pretty terrible conclusion to a plotline about how you don't need special powers to be great.
Arguably, the alternative, that the pilot is so skilled at being unpredictable to the point that people with ESP can't possibly read his moves sounds like a great reality, too :/

The gap between Flit and Asemu is almost undetectable at this point. It's interesting how Asemu basically duplicated the entire scene of Flit's arc battle with Desil, but finished the job.

I wonder if Flit even knows that Desil is gone, yet?

In regards to Strike Freedom, I think BEAM SPAM was erroneously regarded as Hi-Mat spam. I was referencing to the part where general mobile suits and even DB would spam their beams at X-Rounders and they'd casually dodge out of their path. I was not referring to firing a littany of beams all at once <_<
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
ShadowCell

oh for christ's sake, guys. the thread is about Gundam AGE. not pineapple salad. not the Strike Freedom Gundam. gah.

Anyways, Asemu has always been capable of taking on an X-Rounder. He did that way back in episode 3, albeit an X-Rounder who was kind of gimped by a mobile suit that couldn't keep up with him. But he was unpredictable and had his own unique style all the same. Now it's back, and like before, he can take on X-Rounders, except now he's got all this training and experience behind him too--plus Desil was a bit gimped already from before Woolf's heroic end, and Asemu gets the standard Anime Righteous Fury Power-Up to awesomely avenge his fallen mentor.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I don't know why you guys are disappointed. Newtypes, X-Men, Innovators... they're not invincible. Remember, Garrod kicked massive Newtype butt after getting some protips from Mighty Captain Jamil.

As for Decil, he was always a nut. He only had an advantage until Flit figured out his own X-Rounder abilities and then, when fueled by Rage, got his butt handed to him on a silver platter. Actually, that's probably the issue with all of the Vegan X-guys; they're too arrogant. Whenever they get a heavy dose of reality, they lose their cool and probably control of their powers. Contrast this with THE HEART who always seems to keep a level head in battle.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Compass

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I don't know why you guys are disappointed. Newtypes, X-Men, Innovators... they're not invincible. Remember, Garrod kicked massive Newtype butt after getting some protips from Mighty Captain Jamil.

As for Decil, he was always a nut. He only had an advantage until Flit figured out his own X-Rounder abilities and then, when fueled by Rage, got his butt handed to him on a silver platter. Actually, that's probably the issue with all of the Vegan X-guys; they're too arrogant. Whenever they get a heavy dose of reality, they lose their cool and probably control of their powers. Contrast this with THE HEART who always seems to keep a level head in battle.
To date, only two people have taken down X-Rounders on-screen. One of them is dead UNLESSTHEYMWULAFLAGAHIMBACK.

I guess the only things these two people have in common are that they are SUPER-PILOTOS? :/

So, in the heirarchy of domination, it's:

Super-Piloto >= X-Rounder >> Diva Crew >>>>>>> Grunt

Kinda terrifying, it seems.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I very much doubt Wuulf is coming back. :(

And all I'm saying is that you don't need to be a Newtype to beat one. X proved that well enough.

--Freyja Wion
MarshalBraginsky

On the plus note, Millais may have had lost her chance at love since Woolf was the only one interested in her. Though when I looked at the picture of the blond haired Gunhale kid, could Arisa have some short of an unknown sibling, kinda like Asemu's shadow sibling in Unoa? At least Unoa gets a bigger role in the third generation.
MarshalBraginsky

Compass wrote:Bawww.

I honestly thought Asemu was going to say "Watashi Gundam-desu!"

Nope, he just had to ruin it and say super-pilotoh.

I'm also a bit bothered that Desil says he couldn't read Asemu's moves. Could it be that Asemu has the genes for X-Rounder suppression? (exaggerated AMAZING! gasp here)

It's not like this was the first case of this happening, either. He defeated the pair of X-Rounders without them ever getting the read on him when Double Bullet first came out, and all these pseudo X-rounders as well with their Mucell helmets.

Also, the traitor thing bothers me. IMO, it's likely to be a character already introduced, as a way to add a twist to the series. My belief is that it is:
Spoiler
Algreus. He seems to be in the right place and time to be familiar with Flit's information, for example meeting with Grodek, and knowing ALL the technology. He also questioned Flit at the beginning about the hatred for Vagans at the beginning and seemed to have an odd reaction when Flit said the same thing at the beginning of this operation
A better term for Watashi Gundam-desu would be, "Ore ga.....Gundamu da!" Of course, this slogan is taken, so they had to settle for super pilot.
Homeless

Or perhaps the staff simply had no interest in dumb memes that had no business being used in the scene.
ShadowCell

AGE itself has already made the "don't need to be special" point in ep 22, when it was merely the superior tactics of the Federation's grunts that contained the big bad Magicians 8 and made them nice and harmless for the rest of the battle.

i'm more interested in seeing how the story ends with Zeheart, at any rate. Asemu doesn't appear to be in a talking kind of mood and Zeheart is apparently so dedicated to the cause that not even his own flesh and blood will stand in his way (and that was a nice inversion of expectations in itself), so "let's be friends again" seems to be decidedly off the table.
HellCat

The whole thing seems to be a critical look at the Newtype concept, much as X did. In Gundam, it becomes very easy for the writers to turn around and say "Because of some special brain mutation, this young soldier becomes able to run circles around even seasoned aces". Tomino himself did try to shake this up somewhat with the idea of characters like Scirocco and Haman who were powerful Newtypes with their own twisted ideals of a greater good but in general it became an easy way to make a character excel without any real training. Even AGE is guilty of this, using it to turn Flit into a legion slaying monster in time for Ambat. However, it's quite rare for a Gundam protagonist to avoid this kind of easy step up and succeed by pure hard work and dedication. Some of the AU pilots, perhaps. Asemu won this week but it was clear the entire time he was actively struggling and putting his all in, not the classic Gundam case of delivering an insult before basically curb stomping the antagonist.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

heh heh, the look on this guy's face. Seriously though, I'm not at all sure like I was about Wuulf as to wether this guy is going to die or not.

--Freyja Wion
farjad93

Well, I finally managed to watch the episode and I must say I really liked it, although Wuulf's death left me kinda sad even if it was not unexpected. The protagonist going on a revenge-fueled all awesome deathly rage never fails even if it is cliched as hell.
REY: Kira Yamato, your existence must end!
KIRA: Like I haven’t heard that before…on countless Gundam message boards.
Sulendil Zeta

Like Destiny Gundam, I also love to see the (probably) final showdown between Asemu and Zeheart. Asemu maybe a SUPAA PILOTTO, but I don't think even his skills and machine are enough to curb stomp on one of the top ace and X-Rounder of AG universe. It's very hard to say at this point that they will going back to 'let's be friend again' line. Maybe both will convince each other to quit the battle for one last time, failed, and proceed to kill each other ala Amuro and Char. :D