The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Sulendil Zeta

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk IV

Well, this episode title should be 'Flit is Awesome, Too Bad His Son is Not As Awesome As Him', as we see even when at his 40s and piloting the 25-year-old Gundam Age-1 Normal, Flit is still the most skilled (and awesome) X-Rounder in this show, and make Decil, in his first debut in the Khronos, looks tamer and lousier than his Yurin-killing days back in Gen 1. That, and Flit seems not going to forget the Yurin thing soon even after 25 years, judging from the amount of flashback we got during their rematch. Granted, Desil is also not going to get over his humiliation by Flit anytime soon, but hey, it's Decil we're talking about :D

Contrast him with poor Asemu, where not only he's vastly outskilled by Zeheart (again), Zeheart called him out for his 'Well Done Son Guy' attitude and his lack of good reasons for involving in this war. Poor Asemu, not only you're not a X-Rounder, your former best friend is now your archenemy which is more awesome pilot than you and has more awesome goal to fight for than you the Well Done Son Guy ever had, and when the battle's over, your awesome dad think you're not awesome too, where you should have killed 4 more Vagan scums if you're a more awesome pilot. It's no wonder why Asemu starts to feel bitter about living under his dad's (awesome) shadow.

Speaking of Zeheart, both he and Flit seems to carry the grand tradition of 'Commander Going to Field to Pwn His Enemies', with interesting result ie Flit and Federation wins because Flit has a better aide, while Zeheart don't. I also starts to doubt if Zeheart is really cut to be a commander based on his commanding performance this episode. :\

Another interesting thing in this episode? Apparently X-Rounder is a regression, not an evolution. Someone should arrange a debate between Lord Elzelcant, DOME and Char (or his father Zeon Deikun) about the nature of Newtype/X-Rounder.

Next episode: Adele Titus! Grodek! Grodek and Flit in glasses!!! [munches chocolate bars for emphasis] :D
Ferrus_Manus

The new, blue Diva-class ship seems to have some upgrades. Longer, straighter hangar bays, more catapults and more guns.

EDIT: Oops, this should go to the mechanics thread. Please delete.
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
Vent Noir

Fun episode, and Arisa seems to be becoming a good pilot.

Desil, meanwhile, seems to be becoming the Jerid to Flit's Camille (except ax-crazier).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Amion

Today's episode was good, although I am a bit sad that Decil got beaten so badly. Then again, he did just come out of cold sleep so his skills are no doubt rusty. Can't wait for the subs so I can figure out what the heck everyone is saying.

And the blue Deva class looked really awesome, although I didn't notice any extra catapults first time watching....
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
MarshalBraginsky

The fight between Flit and Decil after 25 years is just as epic as ever. And I saw the premier for the next episode, and you'll never believe me if I told you guys a certain old ship captain is coming back.
2NA Fish

Some elements of this episode, if expanded upon, could make this into a truly epic series. I really hope they don't just drop the ball the way 00 did. It had some great things going for it then just degenerated into DBZ.

X-Rounders being a regression. Something that makes perfect sense once you think of it. We've got pigeons with ability to remember flight paths, dogs with heightened senses and all these other animals with amazing abilities, but they're all a lot dumber than we humans are, and perhaps there's a trade off there. You have either reasoning or instinct, and the two are at odds with each other. An awesome idea which turns the Newtype theory upside down.

One thing I thought could have been expanded upon was the fact Zeheart still didn't have the full trust of the Vegan army. We had it touched on when he took the post of supreme commander, and it would have been good to develop it just a bit in this episode. After their defeat though, they'd better do something with it next episode at least, or else what would have been the point of it in the first place?! Just like what happened with that underground slum in the first arc. They had an oppurtunity to further develop the world but they totally threw it away by having it in just one episode and then dumping it.

We see the elite enemy Magicians 8 MS get beaten by clever use of tactics. Something which needs to be touched on more often in Gundam series. It's not always about who's got the most overpowered machine. That being said, it would have been nice if they detailed out the tactics used a bit more, since the gist of it was "The Feddies moved some units around and thus beat the Vegans." We know they used superior formations, but we didn't see what the formations actually were, which is a pity. All they had to do was steal some from the long list of recorded historical battles and I'd have been happy.

The fact that Flit beat Decil this time due to overwhelming backup was also an interesting point. He didn't care that it wasn't a fair one on one fight, because it was WAAARRRR. :P Also make me think, if Flit was going to use "any means necessary" to beat the Vegans, would he start pulling out nukes or other superweapons?.... We've got potential for a huge plot twist here, but unfortunately I don't think Sunrise would ever turn Flit into a "bad guy" like that.

"You could've gotten an extra 4 kills." LOL! Reminds me of the time I scored 99 out of 100 for a test in Primary school and the first thing my parents said was "Why didn't you work just a bit harder to get that one more point." Asian parenting at it's best right here! Flit tries to be a good dad, but when it comes to his job, he's so pragmatic he ends up insensitive.

Max wondering if he's finally gonna die this episode. Nah, Obright's got a much bigger death flag over his head. Again, the production staff know we're looking out for minor characters to die and they're relentlessly teasing us about it. Absolutely love it, especially the constant "We know we suck, so we'll make up for it with TEAMWORK" banter. Considering they're getting only a few lines each week, they're doing a great job of developing the minor cast.
Dwin

Haha, Decil was getting wrecked... but he seemed to be really enjoying it. Even when all of the Chrono's limbs were severed he was still ready to grow. I think the director for this episode did a great job showing that Decil really gets off on chaos. Having the man who shamed when your were kid there also helps too, I guess.
DuelGundam2099

*Sees episode* Holy crap that was awesome! There might be hope for this arc yet! And poor Desil never got to finish his duel with Flit.

Also, if Khronos is Desil's MS, what were the Magician Eight using? Black grafans?
ShadowCell

oh, Woolf. when you can't shoot it down, make fun of its paintjob. i like that.

also, jeez, Asem, i thought Kou Uraki had the title of Gundam's Most Loserly Protagonist but you're obviously in the hunt. what you need is a good catchy musical training montage, preferably with Mickey Goldmill, Mr. Miyagi, or Mr. Popo.
mobiusdiablo

DuelGundam2099 wrote:*Sees episode* Holy crap that was awesome! There might be hope for this arc yet! And poor Desil never got to finish his duel with Flit.

Also, if Khronos is Desil's MS, what were the Magician Eight using? Black grafans?
It appears if you look closely, the Magicians Eight utilize Zedas type MS. Same back, chest cannon, fins, sword, everything. Just black and yellow compared to the original black and tan Zedas or black/red Zedas R(EVENGENCE [hey why not :P?]). But yeah, episode 22 = AWESOME. Easily one of, if not my favorite of Generation 2. And I'd recognize those sideburns anywhere, Grodek; shades aren't going to help :P.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
SonicSP

Three super awesome episodes in a row combined with the super first episode? Asemu Generation, you've really outdone yourself thus far. Flit's Generation hardly compared. Hopefully you won't start a bad run of episodes...........like the Fardain Arc.
Sume Gai

ShadowCell wrote:also, jeez, Asem, i thought Kou Uraki had the title of Gundam's Most Loserly Protagonist but you're obviously in the hunt. what you need is a good catchy musical training montage, preferably with Mickey Goldmill, Mr. Miyagi, or Mr. Popo.
I think it's a bit early for that particular comparison, TBH Flit was doing just about as well at the same point in his arc. Getting out-flown in his own Gundam by Desil, trounced by two separate unnamed Baqto and then getting beaten up by Desil in the Zedas all in short order. Well look how that kid out...

Now if the AGE-2 gets stuck on the front of a ginormous weapons loaded mobile armor with super plot shields then proceeds to fight Zeheart, in a similar MA, and get beaten up while his dad uses a superwaepon to deal the only significant damage to the Vegan MA then we can compare him to Kou...

Course I could be wrong and the whole Second Gen is a covert sham to produce a full Gundam Series where the main character is a grissled old badass.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
zerogradius

Ep 22 was awesome and was better than I thought it would be. The fighting was fluid and intense and did not drag or becoming tiring at any point. This was the first ep where Woolf looked ineffective against an opponent. I guess no matter how hard he tries, he cannot overcome an X Rounder. Asemu tried his best but was totally outclassed by Flit in a 25 year old machine. I liked that Desil was knocked down a couple pegs. I just wonder if Flit's awesomeness and criticism will be a positive or negative for his son moving forward.

One thing I did not like was that there were too many near death scenes where someone had to fire a shot off screen to save the day. This arc in general has had too many of them. Max and Obright are characters I expect to eventually die, the jury is still out on Arisa. Then again, I thought the same about Largan, and he lived, so I could be surprised (I wonder when he'll show up again).
SonicSP

Sume Gai wrote:Course I could be wrong and the whole Second Gen is a covert sham to produce a full Gundam Series where the main character is a grissled old badass.
I support such a campaign. Will enjoy watching Flit in both AGE-2 and 3 while Asemu and Kio ride Genoaces.

Alright alright, I won't be that mean. Let's make it specialized custom Genoaces of some sort then.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mythgarr

Tactical Gundam Pilot.
Gundam Pilot begets Gundam Pilot.
Tactical war that win the Earth side.
Superior tech Gundam that is outclassed by lesser tech Gundam.
Religious antagonist.

Feels like the writers are pulling the non-gundam cliches non stop. Go Go Daddy Flit!
Visit The Dreams
Dark Duel

The Char gets Char-kicked.
'NUFF SAID.

As badass as this entire episode was - from the Adeles, Shaldolls and Genoaces actually forcing back those Zedas Rs through simple, effective use of tactics to the Amadeus simply just being there, to Flit in the twenty-odd-year-old AGE-1 literally curb-stomping Decil's shiny new state-of-the-art Khronos...the best moment was when he Char-Kicked the Zeydra.
Which is amusing given how often Zeheart has Char-Kicked Asem himself.

Awesome episode overall, definitely.

NOTE: Whiny as he is, I still find Asem far less annoying than Kou Uraki was. Just want to state that while I'm here.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Strike Zero

Flit's sortie was by far the high point of the episode -- the best moment had to be when his theme music started playing as he stormed onto the battlefield. Decil, meanwhile, was the second-highest point -- that dude is just fun to watch.

I foresee the need for a new Gundam AGE drinking game in the near future. All one will have to do is to take a drink every time one of Romary's lines consists solely of her saying, "Asemu..." or, "Zeheart..." in that dopey-eyed, longing manner. Should make for good times, yes?

Obright is a boss. Arisa actually managed to shoot something down by herself, so there's hope for her yet. However, I'm honesty wishing that the third guy (I forget his name and don't care to look it up right now) would hurry up and get his ass blown up already so that we don't have to hear his pathetic whining and screaming anymore. I mean, honestly. :roll:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
ShadowCell

The worst part is whiny screamy crying guy is named Max, which is an awesome name that should be reserved for, I dunno, people like Obright, at least.