The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

Thing is, it may not be a Gunpla. Quite possible it's just an action figure. The AGE toyline does have a G-Exes after all, so a bit of meta marketing?

As for using them in universe- a former friend of mine once wrote a G Gundam fanfic where she had the idea that there was a hobby industry for past Gundams as kits. She actually used it as the basis for a rather touching scene where Kyoji tries to explain to kid Domon what he and his father do with Gundam research.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
VentZX

Amion wrote: Well, I will just have to say that I really disliked the op theme, but loved the ending. While I enjoyed the episode, I am having worries about how long it will take for the fighting to actually begin.
You don't have to wait long. The AGE-2 is scheduled to appear in episode 19, which will presumably be a time skip to when Asemu has graduated and enlists with the military. And don't get your hopes up for a Gundam jack.
Deathzealot wrote:Also weren't those other MS modified Shaldolls? I guess Madorna has started selling them to colonies for their own militia security force or something.

The new ending has various scenes with Zeheart, Asemu, and Rosama (sp?)...
It's Romary, not Rosama. And those were Shaldoll Customs, which are Federation units.
reeoyuy

Amion wrote:then again, wouldn't advanced military hardware remain secret until long after it was put into service?
In real world we have J-20 and PAK-FA models not long after their first pic unveiled though.

I must admit that I like ED song better than OP, and wish it is the OP instead of what we have. But listening to OP song again and again I think it's not that bad. If anything, the upbeat theme is perfectly matched with the animation and overall feel of the show. That's the most important thing IMO.
HellCat

Given the OP matched Zeta homages to the first one's 0079 homages, the upbeat song felt fine to me. It's not my absolute all time fave but I've seen worse choices, like SEED's habit of slow songs as the final OP.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Unfortunately I'm going to have to disagree. I hate this new OP whereas I only disliked the first one. Oh and dual-wielding? C'mon Professor Grandpa, this ain't frakkin' World of WarCraft. :P :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Momaru

I have to say I really liked ep. 16! I will admit, Age started out real slow, but has gotten really good in the last couple of episodes. I hope that they can keep it up for the rest of the show.

It's just so cool to see Flit has turned into a badass. He reminds me quite a bit of Quattro and of course Asemu is like Kamiile. I totally blurted this out as he was fighting those bullies. I had a total fangasam when I heard Kamiya Hiroshi since Tieria was my favorite character in 00. Overall, my interest in Age has been more than renewed and I am very much looking forward to this new arc. Age will see the tears of time?!

You know whats sad? You people complaining about the opening of all things since you really can't fault the episode itself.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
reeoyuy

Momaru wrote: You know whats sad? You people complaining about the opening of all things since you really can't fault the episode itself.
Nah, it's because we heard the song for the first time so it's normal to post our reaction. We won't have this much discussions about OP/ED songs next week I'm sure.

And this video shows who did the animation for each segments of the OP animation. That Zeydra vs AGE-2 saber clash is unmistakably Obari.
DuelGundam2099

You know whats sad? You people complaining about the opening of all things since you really can't fault the episode itself.
I'm pretty sure I said I thought the episode was good and I really did not like the new themes.
That Zeydra vs AGE-2 saber clash is unmistakably Obari.
Wait, Obari working on gundam? May I see an authentic source if you do not mind?
Arbiter GUNDAM

Momaru wrote: You know whats sad? You people complaining about the opening of all things since you really can't fault the episode itself.
Where is it written that the opening song has to be awesome just because the rest of the episode is awesome?

--Freyja Wion
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Well it's not like I said the Asuno family was going to be a gloomy, hate-filled family ^^b, though it is surprising that they're that happy.

Except for the fact that Flit is "plotting" in the background. Specifically, grooming his son to be an ace pilot for the Gundam, and we all know that grooming a pilot never turns out well in Gundam. The episode itself shows that Asemu has basically been emotionally groomed to want to be a great pilot, and even his friends point out that he gets riled up about it. Asemu himself even shows signs that he's worried about how hung up he is on mobile suits. It looks like this will probably be Asemu's character conflict point in future episodes.

It's also perfectly obvious that Flit is still obsessed, to a (significant) degree, with his hatred towards the Vagan, even snapping at his own people when they sound like they disagree with his views that the Vagan aren't people. Very not good mindset. While it didn't translate into a problematic family (at least not on the outside), it's clear that this is going to be a problem down the road and that it's going to create problems for the Asuno family.

Wow, Asemu sure hit it off pretty good with his future girl. :)

Nice assist by the Genoace pilot on the ground. Good to see that grunts still get to be kick@$$ every now and then. :)

Bleh, this OP is even more "Meh" than the first. Whoever is choosing these OPs needs to get booted. The ED definitely wasn't as good as the first one either.

Notably, Zehart is going to be arc 2's Gundam-traditional masked man. (since some people might count Grodek as the masked man of arc 1) Heck, Zehart's mask even looks like Char's. ^^b

Is it just me, or does the ED hint that there's going to be a love triangle between Asemu, Zehart, and Romary?

So judging by the pace and feel of episode 1, and by the ED as well, it seems that this is going to be a slice-of-life-based plot, like Zettai Muteki Raijinoh and Gear Fighter Dendoh, at least for the first part of the arc.
Momaru wrote:You know whats sad? You people complaining about the opening of all things since you really can't fault the episode itself.
I'm not sure why you're accusing people of looking for a reason to hate this episode.....
ShadowCell

there probably are people who are looking for reasons to hate this episode, like they have with the rest of this show, but they don't seem to be speaking up here.

anyway, all i know is that Flit Asuno totally has a chair reserved next to Jamil Neate at the table of Ex-Gundam Boys Who Grew Up to Be Badass Adults.
mobiusdiablo

Ah episode 16 this was nice, very nice. For once we get a actual seemingly normal family with the Asunos, and I do like how they kicked off Romari/Asemu's relationship with each other. She's not the childhood friend, she's just a fellow schoolmate (whom the boys seem to drool over). I do hope they take the time to develop that... Oh, and Asemu? Props with picking her up with the motorbike. Kinda wish she was taken into the AGE-1 as well, but showing how much fatigue she had as well as her injury...

...and SPEAKING OF WHICH - I am so happy that the AGE-1 still has a little time to shine, even though I've grown to love the AGE-2's design oh so much from animation. It hasn't been forgotten or unceremoniously destroyed, it's still kicking, and it still has some fight left in it. Very pleased as to how besides from the OP and ED (I like the ED best), the AGE-2 isn't even seen or MENTIONED. I wonder if they'll use the AGE-1's body to make the AGE-2 or if it'll be a completely different machine.

I also like how even after seeing Flit use it, and how he had to use the Sparrow and Titus modules to do different things with it, Asemu uses his old man's ride QUITE differently, very close range and offensive. Reminds me a little of how Setsuna fought with Exia. He doesn't seem especially skilled yet (unlike Flit who seemed like an ace at first), but it's evident that he has talent.

Always kept thinking Zeheart would be Wolf's kid or something but eh, I do like this angle... is it just me or is anyone getting Stardriver vibes with this, Asemu/Zeheart/Romari to Takuto/Sugata/Wako? Either way, anxiously waiting for the next ep!
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

ShadowCell wrote:anyway, all i know is that Flit Asuno totally has a chair reserved next to Jamil Neate at the table of Ex-Gundam Boys Who Grew Up to Be Badass Adults.
Word. :D

But wouldn't Amuro be up there too? :) Myabe not, because of the "Ex-," but then again, Jamil permanently hopped back in the pilot seat in the later part of Gundam X too. :P
mobiusdiablo wrote:Always kept thinking Zeheart would be Wolf's kid or something
Heck, I thought Zehart in the episode 16 preview was in fact Wolf coming out of cold sleep again. ^^b
reeoyuy

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
That Zeydra vs AGE-2 saber clash is unmistakably Obari.
Wait, Obari working on gundam? May I see an authentic source if you do not mind?
The video I linked, the name of each animators is written on the bottom left of the screen corresponding to each scene. Obari name is listed on the scenes near the end. The video was supposedly from one of the animator's twitter.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm behind, I know, so sue me. :)

Gundam AGE Episode 15:
Those Tears Fall in Space

It's been a somewhat long journey from October 9, 2011 to this, the last episode of Flit's arc. It is here that we finally learn who the mysterious Unknown Enemy are... they're martians. No not the ones from War of the Worlds or Mars Attacks or any of that other stuff, but humans who had emigrated to a group of colonies which had been buitl in the Mars Sphere, which is a fairly new term for Gundam as we usually just deal with the Earth Sphere. For those who might be kind WTF on what a Mars or Earth Sphere is, it is basically everything orbiting Earth and its five Lagrange Points, or in Mars' case, the martian Lagrange points. As for what a Lagrange point is, go look it up on Wikipedia, I aint your papa! :)

These martian colonists, who call themselves the Vegans, were abandoned out at Mars by the Federation (why are we not surprised?), or so explains Yark Dole, when the Diva crew confronts him inside Ambat's control center. It seems that some kinda cosmic rays produced by Mars' electromagnetic field or something caused a disease amongst the martian colonist's population. The Federation then abandoned them and they were forced to survive on thier own. Now they have returned to the Earthsphere to claim Earth for themselves. How spending 14 years blowing up colonies and such is supposed to help them acheive such a goal is a little confusing at this point but it's nice to know who the UE finally are, even though I think it's a tad early for that revelation. Maybe if this was a more linear show, but AGE's nature seems to be playing this off well enough for now.

Other things in this episode: Flit's palpable rage is nice, giving the character a bit of an edge that he's been lacking. Would he have really shot Yark if Grodek hadn't done it first? Well , earlier he did try to beam saber the guy so I'm thinking he might actually have done it. But Grodek technically had the prior claim so he saves Flit the burden.
I also like how immediately afterward, Yark's son comes in and sees his murdered father and Grodek just gets up in his face and is like, "Yeah, I'm the motherfrakker who shot your dad for revenge. Welcome to my world." I'm sure Grodek knew that with this kid seeing what he's done, that he'll have to accept the consequences of his actions as the UE have been made to feel theirs.

Flit's fight against Yark's Defurze mobile suit aka T-Rex Arms was a little disapointing but also goes to show how pumped up Flit is on anger.
Largan Drace actually not dying was pleasantly surprising. I'm glad AGE is avoiding at least a few tropes. Wuulf also isn't dead but there's yet another arc, so we'll see.
Also, the mention of this Sir Ezelcant, who's supposed to be the leader of the Vegans, has me a bit intrigued, as I want to know what this master plan of his is that's still kind of vague.
Emily and Flit also miss an opportunity to talk but I'm pretty sure she heard him mention Yurin. I have to wonder how this is going to affect their marriage in the future?

And now, the finale. In the aftermath of the Ambat operation, Grodek finally lets himself be arrested. During his court martial, he states emphatically that he threatened the Diva crew into going along with his plan and basically puts all the blame on himself. He's sentenecd as a traitor and locked up and the Feddies take all the credit for Operation: Ambat Capture and it becomes know as the War of Bat Extermiantion. Um, what? WTF? The frak kinda name is that? Lastly Millais comments that this attitude of the Feddies' is what has caused this situation in the first place.
We close the episode with a shot of some Vegan superstructure in Mars orbit and a new Vegan ship heading to the earthsphere with two new Vegan characters that comment about Ezelcant's plan.

All in all, this was definitely one of the best episodes of AGE so far, following on from the last episode and keeping the pace going. And having just watched episode 16, I can now say that I'm extremely confident in AGE's future. So to all the haters and trolls: STFU (shut the frak up) and peace out! :)

--Freyja Wion
NastyNate

Did anyone else want to see more of flit and emily and how and when there relationship took off? I also want to see more of how their relationship is now. It does not look good but there has to be more off camera.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
zetatype

Hey, nothing's perfect, but if the OP and ED is all that everyone is complaining about then that means the episode did a damn good job.

Personally I like both the OP and ED very much. The OP song is alright but i really like the animation because of how well it matches the rhythm and beat of the music. The ED is even better because the song and animation shown are both great. I like how the ED hints at the impending love triangle and that scene with a young Asemu holding a G-Exes. Its interesting how in contrast to the first ED the second ED feels hopeful and optimistic as opposed to gloomy and for-boating.

As for the episode itself, I really liked it, and it is easily ranks as one of my favorite 1st Gundam episodes (thought technically it's not a first episode but I'll let it slide). Asemu is already a very likable protagonist. You can tell that he emulates some of Kamille's traits and while I like Kamille, I'm glad they decided not to make him an angry teenager.
Like Shadowcell said, a Gundam boy with a normal loving family.......I know, color me all shades of surprised. We also get a nice introduction to the Asemu's love interest Romary and his rival Zehart and both will undoubtedly be part of the inevitable love triangle. The battle itself was pretty good as it was nice to see the grunts last longer than a few seconds and the red one even managed to assist Asemu.

Anyway good episode and I'm excited to see how his generation turns out as well as the return of some old favorites.
zerogradius

1. The opening sequence was better than the first arc, but the song has yet to grow on me. The new ending song is not better than the first, in my opinion.

2. Flit's intense hatred of the Veigans is being fueled by what happened to Yurin. I hope this does not later lead him into his demise. Since the Age-1 has been at his home colony all along, I wonder what MS he has been piloting for the last two decades.

3. Ep 16 reminded me of episode 1 of MSG with the kid piloting his father's creation against two MSs that are attacking his colony. With the opening showing a masked Zeheart, I wonder how many more references or homages Age will have to MSG.

4. Asemu's interations at school with his friends was a nice touch, and we also get to see his love interest. From looking at the ending, it seem that the love triangle this time will be between Asemu, Zeheart and Romary. Given that Asemu's kid will be in the final arc, it can be assumed that Romary will be with Asemu, unless someone else steps into the picture.

5. I hope the Genoace pilot turns out to be a grunt and not Largan. If that's true, then the trend started in Unicorn with grunts being effective nad not just cannon fodder is continuing.

6. I have a few minor complaints. First is how convenient everything was. Flit happened to return home and give Asemu the Age device just before the Veigans happen to attack his home colony? Couldn't there have been a better leadup than that. Then there was the stuff Flit said when he got home. First he told Asemu that he wanted to send him to military school and Emily said nothing about it. I thought she was against fighting? Perhaps being married to a commander caused her to change her opinion. Then Flit said that it is the duty of the men of the Asuno family to protect their loved ones. So does that mean if the girl was the oldest he would have waited to give the Gundam to his son instead? His thinking makes so sense since it was his mom who gave him the Age device in the first place. Again, I'm thinking Yurin's death has something to do with his opinions.

This episode I'd rank as being the third best in the series so far, behind ep 14 and ep 3. Asemu is shaping up to be a more likeable character than Flit was as a child (though adult Flit eclipses him, for now), and his relationship with Romary will hopefully be much better than his parents' relationship as kids. I'd also like to see what role Zwheart will play in this and the impact Desil will have later on.
SonicSP

zerogradius wrote:2. Flit's intense hatred of the Veigans is being fueled by what happened to Yurin. I hope this does not later lead him into his demise. Since the Age-1 has been at his home colony all along, I wonder what MS he has been piloting for the last two decades.

6. I have a few minor complaints. First is how convenient everything was. Flit happened to return home and give Asemu the Age device just before the Veigans happen to attack his home colony? Couldn't there have been a better leadup than that. Then there was the stuff Flit said when he got home. First he told Asemu that he wanted to send him to military school and Emily said nothing about it. I thought she was against fighting? Perhaps being married to a commander caused her to change her opinion. Then Flit said that it is the duty of the men of the Asuno family to protect their loved ones. So does that mean if the girl was the oldest he would have waited to give the Gundam to his son instead? His thinking makes so sense since it was his mom who gave him the Age device in the first place. Again, I'm thinking Yurin's death has something to do with his opinions.
-Its possible he's been using for most of the two decades and placed it there in the last few years. I reckon as a high ranking commander he may not do any piloting anymore, and thus opted to leave his Gundam at home sin ce he likely did not want it to be used by someone that's not an Asuno, as well as so his family will be protected if they were attacked. Although I have no idea who's gonna pilot it if it were to happen before Asem's coming of age gift.

-In regards to hatred, I think Yurin's was the worst it was a lover, he's also lost his parents and Bruzar, who took care of him for seven years as he developed the Gundam.

-Remember that part of Emily's thinking have been changed in the first generation, where she opted to follow Flit on the Diva out of love. Aside from that, she likely already knows, its probable they've already discussed it beforehand.

-Flit's probably following the "men must protect the family", that probably mean's hell pass it to his oldest son. A more interesting hypothetical scenario if he never bore one, though I guess if he panics he can always use techniques to ensure that his next child is a son; if for example he's that much againts giving the AGE Device to a female that is.
2NA Fish

Pretty good start to the new arc. I've got the same comments as many others(eeewwww that new theme song), so I'll just add on stuff.

The significance about Asem using Nitouryu(2 sword style) is more obvious if you know Kendo or Kenjutsu. The number of swordsmen who can use 2 swords at one time are few and far between, because it takes a lot more skill and strength. You'd be lucky to find more than a few people in an entire prefecture who practise Nitouryu. Most people who can handle Nitouryu are ambidextrous and incredibly badass. This sets Asem up as a unique talent.

Someone mentioned this waaaay back earlier in the series, but it may seem that Vegan attacks on particular colonies are not just random. What are the chances that again, the Gundam is on some quiet out-of-the-way colony and that's the one that gets attacked? It's making me worried that Flit's ending up like those guys who keep guns and swords in their home to protect their family, only to have burglars use them against the very people they're there to protect. The Gundam is like a double edged sword, and I hope they'll develop this concept further.

Yay, Tieria. I missed you. :D

Not too happy with Emily's character. She started off the series looking like a strong female who didn't take SHZOINKS from anyone, but has just fallen into the typical boring supportive girl role.

Koyasu's putting on his effeminate voice. Haven't heard that for a while so yay for that too.

I went back and rewatched the first opening, and I realise the characters in this series grew on me really quickly. It's only been 15 episodes, but it feels like Grodek was with us for an entire series worth. I already remember some of those characters fondly the same way I remember Yazan or even Bright, even though we only said goodbye to them last week.