The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

More corrupt than incompetent.
Sume Gai

Overall the Federation here seem decently competent between the two coverups and the attempted capture of Grodek. They are certainly up there in to pantheon of corrupt with a nice helping of lazy though.

Lots of good stuff this episode.
Spoiler
-The origin of the UE was explained but they managed to avoid disclosing their objective quite smoothly. (I have my doubts that it is simply return to earth or revenge)
-The bit with Woolf and the dying UE was well handled and makes me wonder what effect that encounter will have.
-I also wonder if Adams isn't somewhat traumatized by seeing several of his friends shot to pieces in front of him.
-Grodek's bit with Yark Dole's son was chilling and, seemingly, self deprecating. Have to wonder where that will lead.
and Aside for OOO fans, did anyone else immediately imagine Kogami as part of AGE's Federation when they heard the UE's oriigin?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
latenlazy

Oh totally forgot. Did anyone think of 00's EFF uniforms when they saw Age's?
Garret Masterson

-The origin of the UE was explained but they managed to avoid disclosing their objective quite smoothly. (I have my doubts that it is simply return to earth or revenge)
I just hope it's not a big colony laser or a colony drop. We need something fresh.
zerogradius

Spoiler
So it seems that they did pull a Nadeisico with Age. I saw it coming, but what I did not expect was to see Largan alive at the end. I thought for sure he would die, but he didn't. Then Woolf raced into Ambat to help Flit and I thought he would die, but he thankfully didn't. Yark Dole gets beaten pretty badly in his Defruze by the Age Normal, considering the size difference. However, he did state that his MS was made for combat on Earth and not space, so it excuses the way he lost. Grodeck finishes him off and tells his son that he will have a miserable life just like him, which was kind of a disturbing thing to tell the kid just after his dad died. Everyone retreats to the Diva as Ambat explodes to end the battle.

It was sad to see Flit and Emily's state at the end. She loves him completely, but he is so wrapped up in Yurin he does not notice it. I feel bad for her. I wonder if she and Flit will be married or if they merely have the kid together. I can understand Flit's anger, but to continue to pine for a 14 year old girl into his thirties is really sad, if that is how it ends up (and it probably will given that Desil is still alive).

Grodeck confesses to threatening the crew to cooperate with him and he goes to jail. I figured that if he survived it would end up that way. The EF then claims that the defeat of the UE was all their idea. I would be annoyed if I were Millie to hear that, but it beats going to jail with Grodeck. I wonder when, or if, he will reemerge in this series. Yark Dole's son will be gunning for him at some point, so probably then.

Millie will probably get to captain the Diva (I thought Adams out-ranked her), but I wonder who she ends up with. Woolf or Patrick, I mean Largan. The while haired kid is probably Woolf's son, but it could also be Moderna's. Can't wait to find out.

All in all, I liked this ep alot, but thought that the previous one was better. This series is turning out to be better than I thought it would, and hopefully will only get better from here.
ShadowCell

They still haven't said or shown anything of the Earth itself. In fact, I'm not sure they even show the Earth in the background very often.
Spoiler
Given how Geera seemed to be waxing spiritual about returning to the Earth as he died, I imagine that's going to be a pretty big deal later on.
VentZX

zerogradius wrote:
Spoiler
I wonder if she and Flit will be married or if they merely have the kid together.

Millie will probably get to captain the Diva (I thought Adams out-ranked her), but I wonder who she ends up with. Woolf or Patrick, I mean Largan. The while haired kid is probably Woolf's son, but it could also be Moderna's. Can't wait to find out.
You've got a couple of things wrong that we already know about. The first is that it's confirmed Flit and Emily are married and have Asem. I'm not even sure how you would think they'd have they'd have Asem out of wedlock since there's no way that would fly on TV, especially when it's the main character. Role models and what not. As for the line of thought that it's going to be a loveless marriage, we simply don't know that yet, and there's no where near enough to go off of at this point.

About Millais, Largan, and Woolf, we already knew they would all survive. Millais is confirmed to be captain of the Diva, and Woolf is still an MS pilot. We saw this in the 2nd gen preview last week or so. As for Largan, his survival was confirmed via the announcement of the new side story.

As for the mysterious guy with silver hair, his name is Zeheart Galette and he's a
Spoiler
Weigan pilot. You clearly see him wearing a mask going up against Asem in the op animation, and I'm basically guessing he joins the school as a spy of some sort. No idea what his relation is to Desil or the Yark Dole's son.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, considering Decil's last name is Galette...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
VentZX

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Well, considering Decil's last name is Galette...
Right, not exactly subtle.
Vent Noir

Wow, I was looking forward to AGE, but didn't anticipate that at the end of the first arc it would be threatening to knock Seed off for the position of my favourite Gundam (the climactic episodes, especially). A while ago, I posted a thread asking if there was a Gundam series that was "your" Gundam, and mentioned that I didn't really have one. If it keeps it up, AGE just might be it. Of course, the rule of thumb I've heard regarding that is "wait a year after the series is finished, and see if you still feel the same way", so early days yet.

The one major thing I'd like to see in generations 2 and 3 is more female pilots - I know, it's something I keep banging on about. On the other hand, in Seed, there was only one real female pilot (Cagalli), who only really got to pilot in the last 10 episodes or so, and even then didn't get much of the spotlight, and as mentioned, that's currently my favourite Gundam series.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
nacho-wan

Well, for my this last episode was the last straw on Age. Now I'm expecting absolutely nothing of the show. This chapter felt quite anti-climatic and rushed.

The UE revelation was handled with little grace considering that so far in the story we knew so little about them. They could have laid a few pieces, as to look something in the next arc, but no they revealead their major plans.

I suppose all shows can't have the plot deepness of Code Geass, or Death Note. but this one is very basic. They have done very little setting building. There is no overall issues, no context and the characters -except maybe Gronek- are too shallow to carry the story forward.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Strike Zero

And thus the first generation of Gundam AGE comes to a close. Overall, I'd say it was good. The entire Fardain arc was quite poor, but I liked the first few episodes, and everything that followed the Diva's departure from Fardain was excellent.

After everything was revealed about the nation of Veigan, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the likes of the Jupiter Empire from Crossbone Gundam, which now has me picturing this "Ezelcant-sama" as some deranged, tube-laden old dude floating in a vat of ooze like Crux Dogatie. The difference here, of course, is that rather than Jovians, the Veigans are actually Martians. Right now, I'm brimming with anticipation to learn just what Ezelcant's grand scheme for Earth actually entails. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being something patently stupid, but for now I'm riveted.

I for one am happy for the fact that there weren't any rushed last-minute developments between Flit and Emily. It's clear that his heart was completely set on Yurin, and her death isn't something that should be easily gotten over, especially for the likes of Flit. Flit and Emily's eventual relationship is probably something that develops gradually over the next thirty years, but I can't imagine that the same kind of feelings that Flit felt for Yurin are present in the slightest. I'm interested to see how this develops in future episodes.

On the other hand, what has been shown to us of the second generation cast so far hasn't exactly done much to add to my anticipation, aside from Millias now being the ship captain, and maybe Dique's cute daughter (though I'm still at a loss as to how that managed to happen). Once again, I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how things go.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Wingnut

Strike Zero wrote: and maybe Dique's cute daughter (though I'm still at a loss as to how that managed to happen). Once again, I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how things go.
I suppose there's always the possibility that she could have been adopted.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Strike Zero

OR! Perhaps an experiment at cloning himself that at some point went substantially askew.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Dark Duel

Still haven't seen the ep, but I'll try to watch it tomorrow, probably. Really looking forward to it.
Strike Zero wrote:OR! Perhaps an experiment at cloning himself that at some point went substantially askew.
You mean like what happened in Marvel Comics with "X-23"? :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
2NA Fish

Not bad season ender. However, felt a bit rushed and lacking just a little something extra. Shame it wasn't as good as last episode.

Grodek again shows he's such a badass mofo. Geez, what he said to Gira's kid... You could read into it, but it's a really nasty thing to do. This guy don't give a flaming ZOINKS, he's not afraid to be a jerk to get things done.

And Gira... I swear EVERYTHING Flit did surprised him. Was like "What?! He can do THAT? Well, let's see how you handle... WTF! He got me again! Well how about I... OH NO! I'VE BEEN HIT!" Not very good as a final fight for the season finale.

I did a double take when Flit rammed the beam sabre through the door too. I was sitting there thinking, man if it were me, I'd stab that guy with the beam sabre, but I didn't think Gundam main characters are that nasty... HOLY ****!! He actually tried to kill that guy!!

Had a good laugh when it was revealed it was Vegans all along. I have a friend who's vegan, so I can't help but misspell the word.

And ZOMG! Largan!! They teased his death so many times in the last few episodes it's actually quite nice to see him survive.
Ziryab

Strike Zero wrote:After everything was revealed about the nation of Veigan, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the likes of the Jupiter Empire from Crossbone Gundam, which now has me picturing this "Ezelcant-sama" as some deranged, tube-laden old dude floating in a vat of ooze like Crux Dogatie. The difference here, of course, is that rather than Jovians, the Veigans are actually Martians. Right now, I'm brimming with anticipation to learn just what Ezelcant's grand scheme for Earth actually entails. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being something patently stupid, but for now I'm riveted.
Yep, felt that too but really hoping that don't draw too much, if anything from Crossbone, V or F91. Well... except for the Zanscare's motorcycle motif some of their designs had maybe. >.>

But now knowing where they're from makes me like their spacesuit/normal suit design all the more. Though I'm a bit split on the space mittens.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

nacho-wan wrote: I suppose all shows can't have the plot deepness of Code Geass, or Death Note. but this one is very basic. They have done very little setting building. There is no overall issues, no context and the characters -except maybe Gronek- are too shallow to carry the story forward.
I believe the Knights of the Round and everything that happened in Deathnote after episode 26 have a bone to pick with you about deepness, context, and characters. :P
Vent Noir wrote: The one major thing I'd like to see in generations 2 and 3 is more female pilots - I know, it's something I keep banging on about. On the other hand, in Seed, there was only one real female pilot (Cagalli), who only really got to pilot in the last 10 episodes or so, and even then didn't get much of the spotlight, and as mentioned, that's currently my favourite Gundam series.
Agreed more female pilots, for sure. I need someone to relate to a little more then all the pointless cheerleaders (I am looking at you Emily!!!). Destiny at least made up for Seed's lack of female pilots with Luna and Stella.

I loved this episode, it was fantastic and I am really looking forward to the next generation! Although I will admit that the fight between Flit and Yolk was a little one-sided. Then again, he did say that he wasn’t sure how his suit was going to perform…and that he knew he was fighting an X-Rounder (I don’t really consider it a silly name), so he wasn’t sure of his chances. Plus, I got the impression he knew the chance of him winning was low because of the way he said goodbye to his son.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
HellCat

The only thing that really bugged me about the fight was that Flit felt too overpowered. I'm a little lost by what some seem to have been expecting of it. This wasn't really a finale, more a close of one stage of the story so I had a good guess we wouldn't see something too substantial. If AGE does some grand finale now it'd just make it all the more difficult to impress us later. The real punch here was the reveal of the UE, what that means for the Diva crew that have been fighting them and humanity as a whole.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Jak Crow

At least this series doesn't have the same tired "we just want peace" / we shouldn't fight / shoot the cameras and weapons only crap of SEED, and it doesn't have the main character whining constantly about war and killing like in Unicorn. It's a war. I will give it props for these.