The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
hotlimit

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

Deacon Blues wrote: Hilarious note though... the Diva transforming into a Pegasus is just dumb. Overt not to the original series, yes but come on... 2 weeks to fabricate and entire ship like that? Get real.
That's pretty much the only problem I have with the show. Because they're cramming 3 different generations into one series, they have to speed up the level of technological advancement to an absurd pace. You get to all the action quicker, but you lose the subtlety and buildup of the other shows.

And please, can we not argue AGE vs Seed. Seed was intended to be a reboot of the original series, and IMO they did a great job with that. AGE is not a copy by any means, but there are some points where they pander to OG fans an awful lot. Honestly if it were too different, you'd all be complaining about that instead.
HellCat

Given we were shown the transformation also requires safety measures so the crew don't go flying all over the place (seriously, 00 didn't even consider this when they Trans-Amed an entire ship with crew quarters and such), I found it believable.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
hotlimit

HellCat wrote:Given we were shown the transformation also requires safety measures so the crew don't go flying all over the place (seriously, 00 didn't even consider this when they Trans-Amed an entire ship with crew quarters and such), I found it believable.
Oh yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of the episode! When they showed that little clip of everyone in the area of the ship that was transforming, I was like, "Oh my god, I always wondered about that!" Like when you watch Super Sentai shows or whatever, and you see all these things transforming into a big robot, yet nobody seems to be jostled around by it.
Wingnut

hotlimit wrote:
HellCat wrote:Given we were shown the transformation also requires safety measures so the crew don't go flying all over the place (seriously, 00 didn't even consider this when they Trans-Amed an entire ship with crew quarters and such), I found it believable.
Oh yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of the episode! When they showed that little clip of everyone in the area of the ship that was transforming, I was like, "Oh my god, I always wondered about that!" Like when you watch Super Sentai shows or whatever, and you see all these things transforming into a big robot, yet nobody seems to be jostled around by it.
Dekaranger did adress this when they had the base transform in the form of evacuating everyone from the areas that were going to get turned around and such, much like the evacuation protocall on the SDF-1 before it transformed in the movie.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
YokozunaBulldozer

I recently discovered Dique from Gundam AGE is voiced by the same guy who voiced none other than... Hakan from Street fighter 4(yes, Hakan).
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Dark Duel

Having only ever seen SDF Macross dubbed, I had just such a surprise recently when I found out that Sho Hayami, who lent his voice to one of the least interesting villains in the history of shonon manga anime adaptations(Sousuke Aizen) as well as one of my favorite Masters in Fate/Zero(Tokiomi Tohsaka) is also the man who voiced one of the biggest badasses the real robot mecha anime world has ever seen, Maximilian Jenius.
And I propose we take such a discussion to a separate thread, neh?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
DuelGundam2099

Having only ever seen SDF Macross dubbed, I had just such a surprise recently when I found out that Sho Hayami, who lent his voice to one of the least interesting villains in the history of shonon manga anime adaptations(Sousuke Aizen) as well as one of my favorite Masters in Fate/Zero(Tokiomi Tohsaka) is also the man who voiced one of the biggest badasses the real robot mecha anime world has ever seen, Maximilian Jenius.
He also voiced Gavlet from L. Gaim, Devilman, Kei from Orguss, Sandman from Gravion, Ginias from 08th MS Team, Rainy Boy from Mospeada, Ritsu from Zeorymer, and Bern from Dunbine. The guy has been in quite a bit of mecha stuff. 8)
Outlaw

Deacon Blues wrote:... 2 weeks to fabricate and entire ship like that? Get real.
You know, I had just assumed that the Assault Landing transformation was always part of the design and the only thing they added was "the big gun". Though 2 weeks for the gun alone is pushing it. Ridiculous circumstances not withstanding, I prefer the alt form especially since it corrects those inexplicable sideways catapults.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
HellCat

I took it to be the same logic as a bunch of old men standing on the ceiling in CCA. The Diva seems to be a space battleship, so gravity and standard orientation aren't much of an issue.
Koshernova

hotlimit wrote: That's pretty much the only problem I have with the show. Because they're cramming 3 different generations into one series, they have to speed up the level of technological advancement to an absurd pace. You get to all the action quicker, but you lose the subtlety and buildup of the other shows.
Yes but... in 0079, you've got Zeon going from first generation MS (Zaku-I and Zaku-II) to super-advanced, bit-equipped MA, Newtype MS, and mass-produced Gundam-level MS (the Gelgoog) all in the space of 5 months.

Sure, subsequent materials have explained a lot of those were in development for longer, but if we are to go by the animation, Zeon went from the biplane to the jet fighter in five months, so to speak.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
nacho-wan

Outlaw wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:... 2 weeks to fabricate and entire ship like that? Get real.
You know, I had just assumed that the Assault Landing transformation was always part of the design and the only thing they added was "the big gun". Though 2 weeks for the gun alone is pushing it. Ridiculous circumstances not withstanding, I prefer the alt form especially since it corrects those inexplicable sideways catapults.
Yeah. You might be right. I was bewilded by the turning catapult the first time I saw it. I thought that it was a ridiculous non-sensical set-up. Maybe the Assault landing mode is the true version of the Diva and the cruiser version is just for aerodynamics (sure as if that would help in space)?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Newtype87

nacho-wan wrote:
Outlaw wrote:
Yeah. You might be right. I was bewilded by the turning catapult the first time I saw it. I thought that it was a ridiculous non-sensical set-up. Maybe the Assault landing mode is the true version of the Diva and the cruiser version is just for aerodynamics (sure as if that would help in space)?
To a certain extent, I think it might help. Diva's Cruiser mode is very symmetrical and balanced, so it might be easier to calculate thrust vectors and how to fire the engines and stuff like that. Compare it or the Ptolemy II to, say, Archangel or the USS Enterprise D, and you might get an idea of what I'm thinking about. Ships that are as "offset" as Archangel or the Enterprise would be very hard to properly thrust (mount a rocket engine on a model of the Enterprise and see what happens). Diva's Cruiser mode, with its unconventional launch catapults (for a Gundam protagonist ship, anyway) and symmetrical along the Y axis design, might be better optimized for space travel, while Assault Landing mode - with its more conventional up-and-down catapults - would work better under gravity or atmospheric conditions. Diva's two mode's names suggest that to me, anyway. It would even fit with that one guy calling it a true "Trojan Horse:" Diva could (hypothetically) enter atmosphere in Cruiser mode, and then convert into Assault Landing mode to launch its mobile suit complement and support them as a sort of flying base. Though Assault Landing form's vanes on the underside might make actually setting down on the ground a bit trickier. And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do something techie this long.

As a personal anime-related note, while I'm still not totally sold on Gundam AGE yet, this was an exciting and fun episode. It definitely feels like build-up to the "conclusion" to Flit's side of the story, and how this battle will change things enough to justify a time skip to his son. I'm looking forward to how the political landscape is going to shift in the coming few episodes.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
SonicSP

Ptolemy II from Gundam 00 ran with an extremely small crew and all of them were in the bridge during those moments, sitting down on their special seats that prevent extreme movement and such. Two of those Trans-Ams were perfectly timed pre-emptively so they likely had advanced warnings while the one that wasn't pre-planned did not accelerate excessively.
Strike Zero

Well, Gundam AGE has officially made it on my shit list. Not because of any poor story-telling, mind you; that's been great as of late. No, this is expressly because the show insists on being as cruel as possible to my Yurin.

Yes, Gundam AGE, I am aware that as an entry into the Gundam franchise it is obligatory that you have the main character go through some form of a traumatic experience involving a Tragic Sympathetic Heroine™, but what you did NOT have to do was make it involve the one Tragic Sympathetic Heroine™ that I actually happen to like.

I mean, what the hell.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
hotlimit

Koshernova wrote:
hotlimit wrote: That's pretty much the only problem I have with the show. Because they're cramming 3 different generations into one series, they have to speed up the level of technological advancement to an absurd pace. You get to all the action quicker, but you lose the subtlety and buildup of the other shows.
Yes but... in 0079, you've got Zeon going from first generation MS (Zaku-I and Zaku-II) to super-advanced, bit-equipped MA, Newtype MS, and mass-produced Gundam-level MS (the Gelgoog) all in the space of 5 months.

Sure, subsequent materials have explained a lot of those were in development for longer, but if we are to go by the animation, Zeon went from the biplane to the jet fighter in five months, so to speak.
True, they were rolling out new models in every major battle. I guess I have more of a pacing problem than a problem with the technology. At the same time, UE attacks seem to have been going on forever, yet it was in the span of a month (or maybe a little more?) that the Diva crew made all these advancements. And that's without the backing of the Federation... Zeon didn't have great resources, but they were stealing plans left and right, and had already had newtype technology in the works for a while (like you said). It was just that the OYW forced them to put it into use sooner than they probably should have.
SonicSP

Its probably because the AGE System is so good at analyzing and coming up with designs to fight the enemy, and that has been in development for awhile. But I guess aside from that it helps that things like the G-Exes and the DODS Rifle are at least based on AGE's design and technologies. Although I guess my problem with the Diva is how fast and quick the mods were implemented rather than how fast they were designed.

If the AGE also has the ability to scan, analyze and learn from enemy technologies just by scanning, it may explain th fast past of the technological designs too, even if it doesn't appear that they're copying per say and more towards innovating.

The current efforts probably also looks good because the EF have been so lackluster in both effort and will in fighting the UE that a full fronted willful effort combined with a revolutionary smart computer and resources from independent factions and some good intel guesses from Grodek on the homebase location could do it.
HellCat

SonicSP wrote:
Ptolemy II from Gundam 00 ran with an extremely small crew and all of them were in the bridge during those moments, sitting down on their special seats that prevent extreme movement and such. Two of those Trans-Ams were perfectly timed pre-emptively so they likely had advanced warnings while the one that wasn't pre-planned did not accelerate excessively.
I'm referring to the fact that there would be things on the ship not bolted down, especially items kept in personal quarters. Trans-Am the ship like a Gundam and that kind of stuff isn't likely to stay in place, much like when buildings get hit with an Earthquake. It got a semi acknowledgment by poor Haro going rolling down a corridor.
Dark Duel

Which was, if nothing else, amusing.
DuelGundam2099 wrote:He also voiced Gavlet from L. Gaim, Devilman, Kei from Orguss, Sandman from Gravion, Ginias from 08th MS Team, Rainy Boy from Mospeada, Ritsu from Zeorymer, and Bern from Dunbine. The guy has been in quite a bit of mecha stuff. 8)
Never watched 08th MS subbed either, and of the others the only one I've seen any episodes of is Gravion, which I actually started watching dubbed at first, switching to the sub only after finding out Leele-chan's seiyuu is Houko Kuwashima.
Speaking of which...
Strike Zero wrote:I am aware that as an entry into the Gundam franchise it is obligatory that you have the main character go through some form of a traumatic experience involving a Tragic Sympathetic Heroine™, but what you did NOT have to do was make it involve the one Tragic Sympathetic Heroine™ that I actually happen to like..
I totally can relate man. Not only do I agree about poor Yurin, but I've been there before not so long ago.
It sucks when that happens...
It's unfortunate that Gundam shows insist on consistently following the "Kamille/Four" model (or for MSG purists the "Amuro/Lalah" model). I'd like to see more of them bucking the trend the way G Gundam did with Allenby, but sadly that's not very likely :(
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arvis Taljik

Am I the only person who seems annoyed at AGE's re-use of the poor-quality Gundam SEED sound effects instead of the newer and clearer sounding effects from say Gundam 00 or Unicorn? Why couldn't they come up with something new instead of just rehashin SEED's sounds?
Chris
Administrator

Arvis Taljik wrote:Am I the only person who seems annoyed at AGE's re-use of the poor-quality Gundam SEED sound effects instead of the newer and clearer sounding effects from say Gundam 00 or Unicorn? Why couldn't they come up with something new instead of just rehashin SEED's sounds?
Those are generic sound effects. Just because you heard them in Gundam SEED, it doesn't mean it came from there. Also, Unicorn uses the same stock sound effects that have been in Gundam since 1979, not to mention tons of other shows, so that's not the best example in comparison. Also, this seems like a really minor and pointless thing to be complaining about.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his