Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gelgoog Jager

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

Dark Duel wrote:And for my part, I really don't think that the CE has anything new left to offer. At least, nothing that I'd be interested in, since no matter what, anyone with half an ounce of common sense can already guess how any new CE work would end: Flawless Victory for Saint Lacus the Self-Righteous and her little cadre of pet Gundam pilots.
And frankly, I have absolutely no interest in seeing that again.
I second this.

At this point all I'm hoping to get out of this HD Remaster Project are a few Gunplas of ZAFT grunt MS which are not recolored Zakus or Goufs. Odds aren't good though, considering that we didn't even get a Blast Impulse model kit when the series first came out.

Regarding Shin's appearances in videogames, the saddest part is that they made me realize that he was a likeable character during the earliest part of the series. I remember that when I played Gundam Musou 2, the Shin potrayed there was like that and was actually enjoyable using him.
monster

ShadowCell wrote:CE didn't really leave any material unresolved enough to cry out for a sequel.
The fact that it doesn't need, but can have, a sequel is a good thing, in my opinion.
LightningCount

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but couldn't we use the same argument for Universal Century at this point? Some space colony and/or space empire will fight a crumbling Federation for control of the Earth Sphere or colony cluster, and an unassuming young pilot will save the day in the Gundam he stumbles into.
ShadowCell wrote:CE didn't slam the door on sequels the way Endless Waltz did*

*of course, then they opened it back up for Frozen Teardrop, and it sounds like we should all be wishing that they'd just left it closed
As far as any new material for Wing, I'd still like to see Episode Zero carried out in animation, since it was supposed to be in the TV series originally and was only touched upon in Endless Waltz.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
AmuroNT1

Just to give a more specific answer to DuelGundam2099, I consider Vs. Astray to be so terrible because it's a distilled, concentrated version of Seed's worst flaws, primarily the extreme focus on merchandise and popularity to the point where it trumps any effort at decent writing.

The biggest problem is, meaning no offense to the people who posted before me, that the ideas pitched so far are either exact rehashes (Alliance vs ZAFT round 3,412) or insanely far-fetched (Talia's son, about whom we know nothing, becoming a Char clone?). I would hope any Seed movie that got made would happen after a decent time jump in order to allow them to introduce some new and original conflict that actually made sense, like maybe dealing with reactionary Coordinators who want to wipe out Naturals to prevent another Blue Cosmos. (I admit that's not amazing, but really, there's not a lot of room for a Seed movie anyhow).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mythgarr

You know, CE has so many potentials in biotech engineering and space travel elements, it'd be a waste to stop simply in Destiny;The biotech looking giant hand, solar powered and AI controlled machine on Stargazer, the clonings and mind-altering in the regular series. In the right hands, it could be handled correctly.

So let me propose this:

Let's say there are a group of scientists rescuing a bunch of buffed up clones, migrated to one of the colony clusters put on Jupiter-Earth Lagrange points, took over through subterfuges, empowering the techs there slowly but surely, and then bam, 15 years later the clones, now fully in control of the colonies there, declare independence from PLANT and announce the forming of ORIGIN (Outer Ring Independence Group of Pioneers), giving clues that they are seceding from inner ring of Earth and Mars and intend to go outside of

A small fleet of battleships under command of 30+ years old Yzak Joule with Kira Yamato, Ahtrun Zala, Shinn Asuka, Lunamaria Hawke in Eternal Freedom, Absolute Justice, Manifest Destiny, and Avenge Gaia Gundams on board then sent to discuss things with the ORIGIN. In the fleet is Amaterasu, ORB flagship carrying High Representative Cagalli Athla Yula, and PLANT's Chairman Lacus Clyne.

ORIGIN's people, still hot with their independence's claim, think that the coming of the fleet signal a malevolent intent coming from the Cageds, their slank words for the inner planet spheres inhabitants. They sent their own battle fleets to intercept, laying ambush at the asteroid belt, cloaked.

The first encounter proven to be bloody. Shinn and Athlun themselves almost died. The battle ended in a stale mate.

ORIGIN itself caused a debate in PLANT. Some wants to do away with Earth and Mars altogether and join ORIGIN to go extra-solar system. The debate heated to new level when The Arch Pioneers, the leaders of ORIGIN, share the footage of them stood on the moon of Jupiters with minimum space suits. Many coordinators in PLANT all of sudden have the desire to be genetically modified further so that they can go further in the solar system.

Meanwhile, Naturals on Earth feels even more threatened.

Soon the situation escalated, and conflicts once again burn in the Solar System.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED SOLAR ORIGIN begins.
Visit The Dreams
ShadowCell

that...pretty much proves AmuroNT1's point
schwarz ritter

There's just something about the Remaster...that just doesn't work. Wait, no, its not even a remaster: the drawings just look a bit more detailed in some frames and the CGI looks a little bit better. But really, that's it. Hiraiface is completely prevalent in it, moreso than in the original production. And that's just one aspect about it.
I mean, it doesn't matter if original SEED's faces looked a bit QUALITY. All Gundam series suffer QUALITY. In fact, sometimes, this QUALITY gives that certain series a little bit of a mixed feeling of nostalgia and charm (like in the case of 0079). Of course, when the producers actually start to put effort on DETAIL, its nice.
But DETAIL is nothing if you start removing crucial parts about a character's journey in the story (and we're talking about a character who ends up never being wrong according to Fukuda logic). As much as I like fanservice, Flay's breast enhancements are meaningless if an already flawed show is just worsened by some director's perceptions of "what's better" for it.

SEED as it was, was good enough for me. I don't hate it or see it as the "durr cancer that's killing Gundam hurr". But at the same time, I think its flawed and could've been much better. I enjoy the good things it has and do NOT enjoy said good things being sidelined or removed simply because of Fukuda Logic.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
LightningCount

schwarz ritter wrote:There's just something about the Remaster...that just doesn't work. Wait, no, its not even a remaster: the drawings just look a bit more detailed in some frames and the CGI looks a little bit better. But really, that's it. Hiraiface is completely prevalent in it, moreso than in the original production. And that's just one aspect about it...an already flawed show is just worsened by some director's perceptions of "what's better" for it.SEED as it was, was good enough for me.
You know, you bring up some good points. Some fixes end up making matters worse, especially if they're made on whims and fads.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Kuruni

AmuroNT1 wrote:The biggest problem is, meaning no offense to the people who posted before me, that the ideas pitched so far are either exact rehashes (Alliance vs ZAFT round 3,412) or insanely far-fetched (Talia's son, about whom we know nothing, becoming a Char clone?).
That can't be help. I mean, how the whole discussion about SeeD movie start is already far-fetched. Sunrise just say they will do DESTINY HD and give Stargazer Blu-ray release, then someone suggest they might going to make SeeD movie next. And voilà, it's true that releasing Duke Nukem Forever gives hope to many fanboy.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Actually I was referring to Wing as a series BEFORE they made Endless Waltz. Plot lines resolved pretty much...but LOOK, they came up with a fairly decent movie/OVA that was, in my opinion, better then the TV show. Did they hint at any of the plot lines that would come after Wing's TV series ended? No, but look what happened.

And in terms of compelling arguments for a movie, what was wings? An evil organization, who didn't throw away there weapons plan on conquering the world because everyone now has butter knifes as weapons...because Relena Peacecraft is a moron. Now the Gundam pilots have to return to the battlefield to fight in one last battle...but TWIST, one of them is inexplicably on the wrong side. Just in case you didn't get enough of Trowa pretending to be bad in the TV series, NOW Wufia is doing it for real. Because he is a asshole.

Really the idea is so obvious that is sounds like a fan-fiction.

Even if they announce a Seed movie (I doubt it) and even if it rehashes a plot line we have seen before, why would that mean it isn't any good? Most of us seem to be laboring under the assumption that a repeat of what we have seen before would suck, simply because it is a repeat. As my mom used to say, "assumptions will make an ass out of you and me."

Besides boys, what do we even have to assume about? Fan theories for a potential movie plot?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
LightningCount

Soma Taozi wrote:Actually I was referring to Wing as a series BEFORE they made Endless Waltz. Plot lines resolved pretty much...but LOOK, they came up with a fairly decent movie/OVA that was, in my opinion, better then the TV show. Did they hint at any of the plot lines that would come after Wing's TV series ended? No, but look what happened.

And in terms of compelling arguments for a movie, what was wings? An evil organization, who didn't throw away there weapons plan on conquering the world because everyone now has butter knifes as weapons...because Relena Peacecraft is a moron. Now the Gundam pilots have to return to the battlefield to fight in one last battle...but TWIST, one of them is inexplicably on the wrong side. Just in case you didn't get enough of Trowa pretending to be bad in the TV series, NOW Wufia is doing it for real. Because he is a ZOINKS.

Really the idea is so obvious that is sounds like a fan-fiction.

Even if they announce a Seed movie (I doubt it) and even if it rehashes a plot line we have seen before, why would that mean it isn't any good? Most of us seem to be laboring under the assumption that a repeat of what we have seen before would suck, simply because it is a repeat. As my mom used to say, "assumptions will make an ass out of you and me."

Besides boys, what do we even have to assume about? Fan theories for a potential movie plot?
A wise quote.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you've said, but I do want to point out one thing about Wing and its sequel. In one of the final episodes, Quinze (second-in-command of White Fang) makes a reference to the mad scientists having changed Operation Meteor from what it was originally intended to be. (Right before he dies, I believe). This nugget leads us right into Endless Waltz, which talks about Operation Meteor's original intention. Unfortunately, it should/could have been more integrated had Gundam Wing not lost the two-part episode since known as "Episode Zero" due to production schedules falling apart. Originally, Episode 28 and 29, which are recap episodes, were intended to be flashback episodes that covered the pasts of all of the pilots in short vignettes, as well as the maneuverings of Operation Meteor, and how Treize met Marimaia's mother. Some of the information in these episodes was integral to the 49-episode series itself, such as Wufei's background motivations regarding "Nataku," Quatre's family situation, and the behavior and quotes of many other characters (Heero's talk about following one's emotions, or Relena talking introductions to thin air and mentioning of "little prince" for instance). An attempt has been made to make an account of all this in an official manga back in 1997, and some of it comes off a very compelling and essential, while other parts are a bit trite. Nevertheless, the smallest of remnants were splashed into Endless Waltz, such as the dead girl and dog tale, or how the Gundams were stolen. Regardless, had these episodes been completed, they would have created a more "full circle" connection to Endless Waltz's Marimaia Army and Barton Foundation. (I am shocked and disappointed that no effort was made during the height of Wing's popularity to make OVA side-stories with these tales--as I said, some of them really enhance Wing's characters and the meaning of certain actions and scenes in the TV series).

Personally, despite the spectacle of Endless Waltz, and even as a huge Wing fan, I don't find it as engaging as the series, and find some of its idiosyncrasies--like the heavy-handed ending narration and the change of Gundam designs without explanation--to be a little irksome. I think of it as a nice capstone or curtain call overall, that happens to tie up a few of the loose ends. In this regard, it's a little more watchable/rewatchable than Trailblazer was for 00, which tried to do a bit too much in a short amount of time.
monster

AmuroNT1 wrote:The biggest problem is, meaning no offense to the people who posted before me, that the ideas pitched so far are either exact rehashes (Alliance vs ZAFT round 3,412)
Well, that's why I pitched in the idea for an EF vs AF.
I would hope any Seed movie that got made would happen after a decent time jump in order to allow them to introduce some new and original conflict that actually made sense, like maybe dealing with reactionary Coordinators who want to wipe out Naturals to prevent another Blue Cosmos. (I admit that's not amazing, but really, there's not a lot of room for a Seed movie anyhow).
That's not really new or original. It's basically Patrick Zala 2.0.

Then again, I'm not one to think that only something that is new and original can be good. Some people think that SEED (at least the first half) is just a rehash of MSG. That may be so, but I still prefer SEED to MSG.
Kuruni wrote:That can't be help. I mean, how the whole discussion about SeeD movie start is already far-fetched. Sunrise just say they will do DESTINY HD and give Stargazer Blu-ray release, then someone suggest they might going to make SeeD movie next. And voilà, it's true that releasing Duke Nukem Forever gives hope to many fanboy.
I agree that there's no indication that there will ever be a sequel to Destiny. However, I don't think it's farfetched at all to discuss the possibility at a time when there's actually some activity in CE's little corner of Gundam's animated franchise.

That said, keep in mind that the people who started this recent discussion don't seem to be "fanboys" of the movie.
HellCat

Technically, they already did announce a movie. They did an announcement trailer, cast have discussed it on official blogs and the writer even said sorry for the delays. So although it might not get done, it's not exactly fan theory to see one.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:Technically, they already did announce a movie. They did an announcement trailer, cast have discussed it on official blogs and the writer even said sorry for the delays. So although it might not get done, it's not exactly fan theory to see one.
Yeah, and that movie was announced six years ago and hasn't been made yet. In that time we've had 00, IGLOO 2, Gunpla Builders, Unicorn, the 00 movie and AGE all come out instead. At this point it's pretty much dead, and it's wishful thinking from fans who keep talking about it like it's in active production and just around the corner from happening.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

Chris wrote:
HellCat wrote:Technically, they already did announce a movie. They did an announcement trailer, cast have discussed it on official blogs and the writer even said sorry for the delays. So although it might not get done, it's not exactly fan theory to see one.
Yeah, and that movie was announced six years ago and hasn't been made yet. In that time we've had 00, IGLOO 2, Gunpla Builders, Unicorn, the 00 movie and AGE all come out instead. At this point it's pretty much dead, and it's wishful thinking from fans who keep talking about it like it's in active production and just around the corner from happening.
It was still announced and there have been partial updates, so it's not like talking about it is like saying 'I think a Gundam X movie is coming'. There was an announcement, the two existing CE series are getting re-released and the 35th anniversary is coming. I'd say it's do or die time for the movie.
Chris
Administrator

HellCat wrote:It was still announced and there have been partial updates, so it's not like talking about it is like saying 'I think a Gundam X movie is coming'. There was an announcement, the two existing CE series are getting re-released and the 35th anniversary is coming. I'd say it's do or die time for the movie.
You're missing my point. Yes it's been announced, but those "partial updates" have consisted of "still not happening." If Sunrise really wanted to do this movie, there was nothing holding them back in the last 6 years from replacing Morosawa as the writer. There's no reason that she has to be the one to do it, and it just seems like a sorry excuse to hold up production for, unless they've silently killed the movie and just don't want to admit it publicly. I just don't see a reason to assume that these HD remasters are leading up to the movie when Sunrise hasn't mentioned it in years. There's lots of things that get announced and never get made. I was down with the new Megazone anime that was announced six or seven years ago, but obviously that's not happening. Even within Gundam, there was that tiny blip about The Origin over a year ago, and not a word about it since then.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kuruni

HellCat wrote:It was still announced and there have been partial updates, so it's not like talking about it is like saying 'I think a Gundam X movie is coming'. There was an announcement, the two existing CE series are getting re-released and the 35th anniversary is coming. I'd say it's do or die time for the movie.
Suddenly I have déjà vu...[something like when there was news about HD version of Shenmue 1&2 on March...
HellCat

Chris wrote:
You're missing my point. Yes it's been announced, but those "partial updates" have consisted of "still not happening." If Sunrise really wanted to do this movie, there was nothing holding them back in the last 6 years from replacing Morosawa as the writer. There's no reason that she has to be the one to do it, and it just seems like a sorry excuse to hold up production for, unless they've silently killed the movie and just don't want to admit it publicly. I just don't see a reason to assume that these HD remasters are leading up to the movie when Sunrise hasn't mentioned it in years. There's lots of things that get announced and never get made. I was down with the new Megazone anime that was announced six or seven years ago, but obviously that's not happening. Even within Gundam, there was that tiny blip about The Origin over a year ago, and not a word about it since then.
My point is that if they're going to act on it, the lead up to the 35th anniversary and the effort to go back and do a remaster of the two series are really the golden moment. I'm not saying it will happen for certain but this is really the best chance to make good on that announcement. Amongst other things, alot of recent Gundam productions have had very long development times. So I'm gonna take an optimistic attitude and only if we hear nothing after this Destiny redo will I assume it's dead/it comes if it comes.
Kuruni

I won't say I understand Japanese enough, but I think that calling SeeD movie (if there is one) a celebration to 35th anniversary...won't end well.

It's one thing if they manage to keep the momentum (back when you had vibe that CE might be "new main timeline") to today, but right now it's just another AU. It would be like making some older Sentai movie to celebrate XXth anniversary, no matter how popular the serie was, you just don't get the feeling that it should be use as milestone.

Now if it's ORIGIN, then it's different story... Although I think it would make much more sense if Sunrise simply make something epic out of whatever series running in 2014 (unless it flop as bad as AGE).
HellCat

Kuruni wrote:I won't say I understand Japanese enough, but I think that calling SeeD movie (if there is one) a celebration to 35th anniversary...won't end well.

It's one thing if they manage to keep the momentum (back when you had vibe that CE might be "new main timeline") to today, but right now it's just another AU. It would be like making some older Sentai movie to celebrate XXth anniversary, no matter how popular the serie was, you just don't get the feeling that it should be use as milestone.

Now if it's ORIGIN, then it's different story... Although I think it would make much more sense if Sunrise simply make something epic out of whatever series running in 2014 (unless it flop as bad as AGE).
Not sure I follow your logic. Super Sentai and Kamen Rider have celebrated anniversaries in the last few years by directly tieing back to the earliest shows and even used both celebrations to bring back Space Sheriff Gavan, another live action hero who had been in mothballs.

I'm not saying a SEED movie would be the only anniversary thing they do. I believe for the 30th the big announcements were the 1/1 Gundam, Unicorn and the 00 movie. A SEED movie would thus be part of wider celebrations and it's still easily popular enough in Japan to get the attention. After all, it is the only AU Gundam getting a fancy re-release.