Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Newtype87

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

I actually tuned in to this episode just because of the Perfect Strike thing. It does strike me (haha) as quite unnecessary, but if they wanna give Mu and Cagalli a bit of their own identity, I'm not going to complain about that. Adding Shinn's family in was basically fanservice, but it vaguely works by showing the evacuating and panicking civilians, so I'll let it slide. Not a bad episode. Actually, this kind of makes me wanna watch Gundam SEED again. I remember liking it quite a bit, and I'm sure rewatching it I'd still enjoy it. And from the sound of things, I won't miss much if I don't watch the HD version so I'll just dig out my DVDs.

I have to say, though, the Perfect Strike is probably the most spectacularly ugly Gundam I've ever seen. I can't stand Destiny's design, and this is basically just that except bulkier and without the beam saberangs. I used to call Destiny the Clusterf*ck Gundam, but Perfect Strike has supplanted that designation in my mind now. This is just… bleurgh.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
HellCat

Looking at some of those screenshots, I'm dissapointed. Brand new animation and it's that off model?

So does this mean they actually had to get the actors back to record new dialogue or is there an awkward attempt to reuse the original dialogue as is?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
kayone73

Newtype87 wrote:I actually tuned in to this episode just because of the Perfect Strike thing. It does strike me (haha) as quite unnecessary, but if they wanna give Mu and Cagalli a bit of their own identity, I'm not going to complain about that. Adding Shinn's family in was basically fanservice, but it vaguely works by showing the evacuating and panicking civilians, so I'll let it slide. Not a bad episode. Actually, this kind of makes me wanna watch Gundam SEED again. I remember liking it quite a bit, and I'm sure rewatching it I'd still enjoy it. And from the sound of things, I won't miss much if I don't watch the HD version so I'll just dig out my DVDs.

I have to say, though, the Perfect Strike is probably the most spectacularly ugly Gundam I've ever seen. I can't stand Destiny's design, and this is basically just that except bulkier and without the beam saberangs. I used to call Destiny the Clusterf*ck Gundam, but Perfect Strike has supplanted that designation in my mind now. This is just… bleurgh.
Remember that the original concept for Freedom was basically an overpowered Strike with all 3 striker packs attached. Which was thankfully abandoned and then conceptually recycled for the design of Destiny Gundam like you said. I bet if Shinn could break the 4th wall and contact the writers of the show, he'd kill them for sticking him with the 'reject' design.
DuelGundam2099 wrote:So this basically means they are making real changes, not just edits? I also wonder if this means Destiny is getting HD Remaster treatment too....
I think they are only making dramatic visual changes that doesn't really alter storyline or continuity. Purely as nods to the fans. I'm to see if they re-animate a sequence for Mu's death (which in and of itself doesn't need to change, it was awesomely heroic as it is) to help better explain his stupid 'survival' from exploding at point blank range.

If Destiny gets an HD remaster...that damn show needs more than a lick of new animation paint to make it worth rewatching...like a complete rewrite in the 2nd half. I decided to sit down and rewatch my archived eps of GSD...boy its fun watching exactly WHERE the show starts going downhill and picking everything wrong with it.

edit: I forgot to mention my favorite scene in this ep where Kuzze bravely abandons the ship once again...and gets all butthurt when all his friends decide to stay and fight making him look even more pathetic.
Last edited by kayone73 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayone73

HellCat wrote:Looking at some of those screenshots, I'm dissapointed. Brand new animation and it's that off model?

So does this mean they actually had to get the actors back to record new dialogue or is there an awkward attempt to reuse the original dialogue as is?
The screencaps look bad but because the action moves SO fast in those scenes you don't really notice. You can grab screenscaps of some of your favorite fast action mech scenes in Gundam or otherwise and if you actually pause, you'll see how bad they look as well. I noticed in Gundam 00 with the final fight between Exia and 0 Gundam, Exia was drawn pretty bad in many key frames but you don't really care because the action cinematography was so good and fast paced
Newtype87

kayone73 wrote:
Newtype87 wrote:I have to say, though, the Perfect Strike is probably the most spectacularly ugly Gundam I've ever seen. I can't stand Destiny's design, and this is basically just that except bulkier and without the beam saberangs. I used to call Destiny the Clusterf*ck Gundam, but Perfect Strike has supplanted that designation in my mind now. This is just… bleurgh.
Remember that the original concept for Freedom was basically an overpowered Strike with all 3 striker packs attached. Which was thankfully abandoned and then conceptually recycled for the design of Destiny Gundam like you said. I bet if Shinn could break the 4th wall and contact the writers of the show, he'd kill them for sticking him with the 'reject' design.
Yeah, I knew that, but I don't think I've ever seen concept art for that design. I've seen the stuff that looks like the IWSP crossed with Freedom (http://images.wikia.com/gundam/images/9 ... _early.jpg, a look and design I actually kind of like), but not the "Proto Destiny" look. I certainly prefer that they went with the McBeamSpam Gundam over the ClusterStrike look. There's a whole bunch of stuff I'd love to talk about with the designs, but this is already getting into Technology talk, so I'll end it here.

And I doubt we'll get much if they do do a Destiny HD version. We'll probably just get a few more side-story suits shoved into random scenes and we'll see a Lightning Dagger for two seconds and they might add some damage to the Clyne Faction suits at the end, but I certainly wouldn't hold my hopes up for a greatly improved Destiny if I was a fan. Any word on how this is doing in the ratings over there?
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
HellCat

kayone73 wrote:
HellCat wrote:Looking at some of those screenshots, I'm dissapointed. Brand new animation and it's that off model?

The screencaps look bad but because the action moves SO fast in those scenes you don't really notice. You can grab screenscaps of some of your favorite fast action mech scenes in Gundam or otherwise and if you actually pause, you'll see how bad they look as well. I noticed in Gundam 00 with the final fight between Exia and 0 Gundam, Exia was drawn pretty bad in many key frames but you don't really care because the action cinematography was so good and fast paced
It stands out here because I think the project has been kind of half baked. I'm still confused why they decided Strike stabbing Miguel's GINN called for new animation for example. I look at the posted screencaps and Perfect Strike looks like someone capped an old off model SEED ep from 10 years ago, not new recently completed animation. I'm well aware of how animation works but these still seem pretty poor for supposedly modern, HD animation.
azrael

Episode 37 is out on the official Gundam channel on Youtube.

Obviously since they changed usage to Perfect Strike, they have updated the animation. But they also cleaned up the sequences with the Astray Girls, Buster's scenes, and Justice/Freedom v. Druggies. The episode overall didn't change tone or plot-wise, but the action sequences were gladly cleaned-up. They threw in some of the flashier Freedom sequences from GSD as well. The fight seqeunces feel better cinematically.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
DuelGundam2099

So I keep hearing this rumor that this month one of the staff members or directors or someone is making some big SEED announcement at a "Seed Party", anyone have confirmation of this?
HellCat

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So I keep hearing this rumor that this month one of the staff members or directors or someone is making some big SEED announcement at a "Seed Party", anyone have confirmation of this?
Where exactly is this rumour circulating?
JulieYBM

HellCat wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:So I keep hearing this rumor that this month one of the staff members or directors or someone is making some big SEED announcement at a "Seed Party", anyone have confirmation of this?
Where exactly is this rumour circulating?
I see 'SEED Party' mentioned a few times on the Gundam SEED HD Twitter account, but I don't think there is any word of a big announcement.
She/Her
angelwingzero

Gotta ask, did I miss a reason why they would slap all three striker packs on the Strike at once? Wouldn't it have a much bigger energy drain on the suit as well as making it much heavier and slower?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Dark Duel

Yes to the second, but since when has that mattered in an anime?
Yes also to the first, which I suppose is why it's got an extra four batteries dangling off the back of the Aile Striker.
As for why they did it, who knows? In terms of models though, they can probably repackage the existing Strike Gundam and Striker Packs with like, half a runner's worth of new parts to make a Perfect Strike kit, and they can sell that. So that is probably the reason.

What has me really curious is how they'll handle Mwu's Heroic Not-Sacrifice at the end given that unlike the Aile Strike, the Kitbash Strike does not have a proper shield.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
HellCat

I'm working on a second RG Skygrasper currently and noticed all the Striker runners are actually designed to be sold seperate from the Skygrasper itself if needed. Possibly an RG Perfect Strike on the cards?
DeganUAB

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what does everyone think of depiction of the Earth Alliance Military? I always thought Gundam SEED did a great job making it seem like the soldiers are professional and really cared about what they were doing.

SEED and Destiny always had the theme of the soldiers are pawns of the upper ups but still I liked the peacemaker squadron and the liberation of Orb. I think this shows overall plot was definitely underrated.
Now is the time for mankind to stand up for the future.
Amion

DeganUAB wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what does everyone think of depiction of the Earth Alliance Military? I always thought Gundam SEED did a great job making it seem like the soldiers are professional and really cared about what they were doing.

SEED and Destiny always had the theme of the soldiers are pawns of the upper ups but still I liked the peacemaker squadron and the liberation of Orb. I think this shows overall plot was definitely underrated.
I always think it got kinda lost in Destiny, with just about every Earth Alliance character being totally evil or just indifferent. But then, its been a while since I watched anything from CE.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Raiden

So in the new Episode 39, we get a cameo of Shinn, Luna, Rey, and Meyrin at the ZAFT trainining Academy while Lacus and Patrick Zala give their speeches to the PLANTS. Now it makes me wonder if they will "participate" in grunt suits at Yachin Due or are they just reserves during that time....
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I doubt it, remember how veterans of Jachine Due were held in such high regard by Shinn and his friends? Also I think Shinn's first battle was at armory 1.

However, we may get some Heine action in the final battle. Just a brief little clip showing he was there would be a nice Easter egg...especially if Athrun shoots him down...adding more meaning to when Heine said "we might have crossed paths at Jachin Due." But who knows?

Also they show more of Azruels past in this episode...and if a way it almost makes me feel bad for him. Now it shows him getting beaten up by a coordinator, watching jealously as teacher's praise coordinators, and seeming to get smacked by his mother as he complains to her about it "not being fair" or something. It now makes more sense why he hates them so much.

Oh and Shiho makes an earlier appearance....so yay? lol
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Evex

The additions to this episode fit really well into it with out slowing the episode down. I'm left to wonder if Fukuda went back to the original script for this episode. The additions in the episode work that well that they could have been part of the original script. This episode also makes me wonder how much better Gundam SEED could have been. I'm not surprised to see shiho, since she is the test pilot for the Cque DEEP arms. Its most likely she was on earth to give the suit an earth based trial, and it fits since its most likely she was the one who encountered the red frame in that one red frame short. This also makes me wonder if the earth alliance had a trial version of the sword calamity all ready in the field. It also seems that we were all ways meant to see shin early in the Gundam SEED episodes, so we wouldn't be surprised he showed up in SEED Destiny. Then again I'm most likely given Fukuda to much credit on this.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Actually isn't the time frame of episode 39 a tad too early for Shin to be Kirk-ing his way around the Academy?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
azrael

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Actually isn't the time frame of episode 39 a tad too early for Shin to be Kirk-ing his way around the Academy?
I was wondering that as well. Seems a little quick since he just evacuated from Orb.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."