The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

Well that card apparently revealed both the UE's official name and the fact that the Zedas is piloted by the red head commander. It is going to wipe the floor with the Titus.
hotlimit

2NA Fish wrote:Love Woof. He's like Patrick but competent.
Hey dude, Patty C was the man. If it weren't for those darn Celestial Being kids...
Robertthecrimson

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Maybe it's like a Cortanna-level AI?
Well God help them all if that's the case.
Robertthecrimson

2NA Fish wrote:Love Woof. He's like Patrick but competant. Ono Daisuke's also one of my favourite young voice actors. I didn't like that they made Flit already able to go toe to toe with him in combat so early, but I guess they've not got a lot of time if they want to develop his son and grandson too.

I'm not too worried about having only 15 episodes or so per main character though. Shin Jeeg was only 13 episodes and that rocked. Keeps the writers on their toes so they don't get lazy or worse, go totally off track like in SEED Destiny.
I'm cool with daisuke as his voice actor. But I don't entirely like Wolf as character yet. When it come to cocky arrogant character I either hate them of love them for the most part unless they're a completed idiot. That and I wasn't keen on writers stealing Shin Matsunaga nickname "White Wolf" and giving it to this guy.

As for your comment on 15 eps a character. I think they can pull it off as long as the writers maintain their pace and don't put in any filler. God forbid that the characters from earlier arcs take over later arc like destiny.
Darksider

So the UE are humans of some sort. I suspected as much, but I actually was hoping they'd be aliens.

My bet is on them being some human faction that got screwed over by the Federation somehow, coming back for revenge. Whatever started the war, you can bet there will be a BIG REVEALtm that the Federation was somehow responsible. It wouldn't be gundam if there wasn't a little bit of dickishness on both sides.
SonicSP

Darksider wrote:So the UE are humans of some sort. I suspected as much, but I actually was hoping they'd be aliens.

My bet is on them being some human faction that got screwed over by the Federation somehow, coming back for revenge. Whatever started the war, you can bet there will be a BIG REVEALtm that the Federation was somehow responsible. It wouldn't be gundam if there wasn't a little bit of dickishness on both sides.
Spoiler
I was kinda hoping they would be aliens as well, but interesting that they might be revealing them as early as the next episode. I guess the Grodek sort of started it with his "I know who they are" line last week.
reeoyuy

Oh wow, episode 5 is really unexpected. From the preview I thought Fardain story arc will be something similar to Artemis or Luna II. But it's not. I'm happy for that actually.
APendragon

Yeah, dang, that was one helluva departure from the usual Allied-Base-Post-Beginning experience, in a very interesting way.

I'd say Yurin is most definitely a UE of some sort
Spoiler
given that touching Decil gave him the same green effect on the screen and that Decil displayed the Newtype-like sixth sense that Yurin helped to impart on Flit.
Woolf's growing on me though, he's definitely a little self-obsessed I think, but not at all to the exclusion of everyone else. He's an enjoyable change as well.
Spoiler
Given Decil's retinue that seemed to have been looking for him, he definitely seems to be someone of import to the UE. Maybe he's our royal or otherwise important person?
His voice really irritates me though. It just has an odd quality to it that I've always disliked, kind of a...watery/reverb-y strange depth or something. I don't know how to explain it but it's always irritated me. >.>

I wonder if he's so extremely young even in comparison to Flit and normal Gundam protagonists so that he can be relevant as an enemy ace or something in the second generation? It would put him at just around 30 or less, I would imagine, and that's not too old to be a competent enemy or a mentor-type to the next Asuno kid.

I'd definitely like to thank Grodek for turning the episode into the very different experience that it was.
Spoiler
Sneaky bastard for digging up dirt on the commanding officer (if I understood it right) and forcing him to officially give him the Diva.
He's quickly becoming one of my very favorite characters, and definitely among my top favorite Captains of the entire franchise.

Also, he looks much better with the beard in my opinion.
latenlazy

Wolf's self obsession is obviously just an act to keep himself entertained. Deep down he's seems to be a very serious person.
DuelGundam2099

Why do I have a feeling the UE will be the innovades with a new coat of paint?
Spoiler
They have the secret society manipulating in the shadows thing down although unlike the innovades, there seems to be a religious theme going for it. Looks like Gundam is being VOTOMS-ish after all, now all that is needed is a Gundam-y version of Wisema- Wait, Gundam X did that with D.O.M.E.
And I have to ask, when are Spallow/Sparrow and Titus parts supposed to show up?

Edit: Scratch that last part, thank you Homeless.
Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vent Noir

DuelGundam2099 wrote:now all that is needed is a Gundam-y version of Wisema- Wait, Gundam X did that with D.O.M.E.[/spoiler]
For a moment there, I thought of
Spoiler
Wiseman from Sailor Moon R, especially considering the all-concealing black cloaks that they wore
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
DuelGundam2099

For a moment there, I thought of Wiseman from Sailor Moon R
Why would I reference something as bad as a magic girl anime? :?
Wingnut

I think this will go down on record as
Spoiler
the shortest Gundamjack by an enemy(?) force in Gundam history.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
APendragon

Darn, I was gonna point out Sai's brief stint in the Strike's cockpit, but I guess he wasn't an enemy...

It was also by far the most positively productive one.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The Demon Child
Well, I went into this episode with trepidation because of the previous previews. I KNOW this series is being targeted to a younger audience because Bandai/Sunrise practices a little thing called franchise sustainability. Well... I really, really don't like this kid. He is FAST moving up my list of Gundam characters which I hate. Everything about this kid just irks me. And I was right, he does steal the Gundam and take a joyride in it. Now Flit I can believe piloting the Gundam but this kid? What is he, some abnormal super child genius?

Alright enough about Decil (perhaps Basil with bad Japanese pronunciation?) Besides the discovery of Decil the only other things of import that happen in this episode are Emily finally confronting Grudek and Grudek further evading the Federation.
First of all, Grudek's actions in tossing out the Diva's intended Captain come back as the Investigation Bureau of the Federation issues a warrant for his arrest. But when the local Inspector for the Forces shows up to carry out the arrest, Grudek, cool as you please, reveals that he has evidence that the Inspector has been allowing ships to dock at Colony Fardain illegally. Score another one for Cool Hand Grudek. In fact that's what I'm going to call him from now on. So we have Flit, the Doogie Howser of Gundam (courtesy of Chris Guanche), Wuulf, the White Wolf, Ensign Zinger, Pretty Milly (the comm officer), Cool Hand Grudek/DAT BEARD, Emily "Fraw Bow Syndrome" Amonde and Soul Bro's Man, Dique. Lotta nicknames in this show. Oh and Decil the Red-Headed Menace.

Also Grudek explains to Emily that he took command of the Diva because the Federation forces have become corrupt. Not a tremendous surprise there (also explains why the Feddies have already been fighting the UE for 14 years). They would have left the civilians on Nora to die just so they could save the Diva and the Gundam. Emily accepts that but doesn't want Flit fighting in the Gundam, especially when Grudek reveals that he has determined the UE's base of operations and wants to attack it. Boy does Emily have Fraw Bow Syndrome bad. It's getting a little annoying. Also we get a look at what at that picture he keeps on his desk. Definitely a younger Grudek and his wife and daughter, which I will bet you dollars to yen are dead.
One last mystery presented in the episode is Decil being confronted by a bunch of black-robed wizards that say that Decil is an inhabitant of EDEN and that he isn't supposed to mix with "normal" people. I really hope these guys aren't the real UE, that would almost be too cheesy. Then again, the Diana cultists in Victory Gundam had funky robes...
Oh and Wuulf is definitely growing on me as the typical cocky sempai. Shall we begin speculating on the manner of his death and if it will involve pineapples?

All in all, this episode really didn't impress me, except for the parts with Grudek, and as I said, I REALLY don't like this Decil kid. It's been said that maybe he'll continue on into the next generation as a recurring antagonist. By that point he'd be in his thirties, so if they do that, I think I'll forgive them. Unlike the trolls I'll reserve final judgement until at least the first generation's done. But I still give this episode a two out five. I just hope the next episode doesn't introduce some rival family thing.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Oh and Wuulf is definitely growing on me as the typical cocky sempai. Shall we begin speculating on the manner of his death and if it will involve pineapples?
Having him take a shot for Flit would be a bit too cliché here so I'd rule that out. I don't think any fruit will be involved either. Heck, given the generational nature of this show, I'm putting my bet on that he lives through at least the first generation to tell his tale.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Sume Gai

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Decil (perhaps Basil with bad Japanese pronunciation?)
I actually wonder if it is meant to sound much like "Devil" considering they are one easy (qwerty) keystroke apart and the title of the episode. Even if it's unintentional this kid is creepy enough to warrant it. Newtype juju, creepy eyes along withskills and a superiority streak well beyond his suspected age.

I love that this episode brushed aside a Gundam standard so easily and felt that the Gundamjacking was twisted in a way we've never quite seen before. Someone besides a main character got into the gundam. did incredibly well against the enemy and even gave it back.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Brave Fencer Kirby

Not a fan of that episode, either.

Captain Sideburns flouts authority and tells not-Fraw that he's doing it because the Federation is corrupt to the core. The fact that he can apparently make an arrest warrant go away by blackmailing the arresting officer is stupid, and the idea of the Federation being evil doesn't make me happy either. Not-Fraw continues to sulk uselessly instead of trying to do anything about anything. Captain Sideburns tells us that he thinks he's figured out where the UE are based, but fails to make good on his comment at the end of the last episode about knowing what they are. Meh.

Six-year-old Innovade. Argh. Seriously, hate everything about this kid and everything he represents in the plot. If they dropped "HE'S A NEWTYPE!!!" hints any harder, it would be a colony drop. And apparently his babysitters are Sith lords. Excuse me while I go smash my forehead into a wall for a while. I do find myself a little curious as to what this kid actually is (I doubt he's a UE, given how happily he slaughtered them), but I'm not at all optimistic that it'll be something I like.

There was some good in this episode, though. Woolf moves away from the Patrick/Monsha archetype and more toward the brotherly-mentor archetype. I can live with that.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I can accept Wuulf besting Frito-Lay in the mock battle in the last ep, and landing a 'White Wolf Kick' in this one. But for Frito to get pwned by a kid half his age? Even if it's anime, this is just sad.

BTW, Dat Beard's becoming quite the smooth operator.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
DuelGundam2099

A thanks goes out to Homeless for addressing something I said he answered via PM.

Actually relating to the topic, am I the only one here that didn't mind Decil?