Gundam SEED HD Remaster

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
kmagryffindor
Location: Brittania or the Union, depends on what you perfer. (Ohio)

Gundam SEED HD Remaster

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -to-launch

Well this is interesting news. Apparently more news is to follow soon. For me It's a bit of a surprise that they choose to remaster SEED, to me (and mind you my perception of new and old is, well, old fashion.) SEED is still a 'new' series.

So will this be a blue ray remaster, new animation thrown in, or just some miner quality enhancement? I guess will see.
Amadi Akintunde

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster

kmagryffindor wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -to-launch

Well this is interesting news. Apparently more news is to follow soon. For me It's a bit of a surprise that they choose to remaster SEED, to me (and mind you my perception of new and old is, well, old fashion.) SEED is still a 'new' series.

So will this be a blue ray remaster, new animation thrown in, or just some miner quality enhancement? I guess will see.
Most likely minor quality enhancement. Don't forget that SEED was made at the beginning of the era of digital animation. Its animation hasn't aged particularly well.
yazi88

Maybe involving better editing and having less flashbacks of Cagalli's Dad burning, que the song: Burn baby burn.

Also less flashbacks of Nicol's death.

Kinda wished this announcement was more like: Gundam Seed: A New Translation but then it might involve Gundam Seed Destiny: A New Translation which would make Jabman a very angry jabber.
RLZIII

I wouldn't expect this announcement to be anything special. While I'd like to see some edited scenes, newly animated scenes, et cetera, that was already done with Gundam SEED: Special Edition. This will likely be just what it sounds like: an HD remaster, in the same vain as other recent Gundam HD remasters.

Considering that Gundam SEED is only about a year old, I assume that the original masters are in great condition and should look quite nice in HD (assuming that these remasters will also be released on an HD format, i.e. Blu-ray; unlike the Gundam W "HD remasters" which were unortunally only released on DVD). Hopefully with this release we might also get a tad bit of information on Gundam SEED's future: Movie? No movie? But, of course, I won't hold me breath.
Amadi Akintunde

RLZIII wrote: Considering that Gundam SEED is only about a year old
It's been nine-ten years since SEED, bro. The original Masters don't look all that great, either.
iKhaotic

RLZIII wrote: Considering that Gundam SEED is only about a year old
LOL. I love you.

I think the remaster is just an upgrade to the visuals. It'll be amazing if we get some redone/new scenes or something I've been hoping for for ages: more insight on the story concerning the Astray units in animated form. (I enjoy reading manga, but when it comes to animes with plenty of action like Gundam, I prefer watching it)
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
tHeWasTeDYouTh

All I have to say can be summed up by this:

"For the preservation of our blue and pure world!"

- Peacemaker Force

check the shirts out

http://www.yesasia.com/global/gundam-se ... /info.html

I really hope the stock footage is replaced and all the filler episodes are deleted

I really hated that about Seed
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
ShadowCell

...the hell? you can go around now sporting the slogan of a violent genocidal terrorist group that was actually an incompetent front for a bunch of stuffy industrialists?

well i guess if Zeon is so popular...
RLZIII

Of course by year, I meant decade. The animation isn't very old, and neither are the original masters. Even though some people don't care for the animation style or whatnot, or don't think that the animation was the best for its time, the remasters should actually see some good improvements. It's always nice to see animation in HD, as it almost always looks better. The crisp and pure colors in Gundam 00 make the anime look fantastic.

I'm not sure why some recent "HD remasters" really don't live up to the name. As an example again, the Gundam W HD remasters were only released on DVD. I don't know if this was to milk some more money out of a DVD box set before releasing a Blu-ray set at some point later, or if the final product just didn't cut it for 1080p video. But, whatever the case, I can't imagine that Gundam SEED will suffer the same fate; it should be an actual HD remaster.
ShonenNinja

Hopefully this will get a Blu-Ray release since SEED is still popular...

Anyway, it's a good way to celebrate SEED's 10th, and hopefully it will sell well to convince Bandai that the Cosmic Era is still viable.

Also, LOL at Fukuda being pissed that the news was leaked...
iKhaotic

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:
check the shirts out

http://www.yesasia.com/global/gundam-se ... /info.html
Holy hell, $62 for a tshirt? Geez, those better be made out of made out of cotton from ultra premium sheeps that were raised on a diet of caviar and fine wine and had their wool washed and groomed daily... Most I've ever paid for a tshirt was $35 for an Anaheim Electronics one made by Cospa, and even then I found that to be slightly overpriced, even if it was straight imported from Japan lol.

Anywho, if they did release the HD remaster on Blu-Ray, I'd most likely get it being a huge CE fan (leave me alone haters). Maybe if this gets enough support it will convince Bandai/Sunrise that CE is still popular enough to warrant more material.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I don't think SEED should be remastered...yet.

Instead of remastering the series they should have focused on that SEED Movie that was gonna be made but was put on "hold".

Who knows maybe it might be like Dragon Ball Z Kai? (By taking out all the filler and stock footage and just focusing on the action)
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
iKhaotic

IMO, Destiny doesn't suffer from the abundance of stock footage and filler (okay, maybe just a bit), but from the lack of story development and the how the story that IS presented is weak.

Destiny started off practically identical to SEED, but then got better at episode 6 with "that event". Shinn is a great anti-hero, but he has a serious case of tunnel vision regarding his reasons for fighting and how he blindly hates people that are on the opposing side. Next up, I know the reasoning behind Heinne's short appearance, but he would have been a great addition to the Minerva had he stayed for the rest of the series and would have contributed to a lot of character development for the rest of the cast; not to mention his death was extremely stupid, if you're a ZAFT Elite Red, then you'd think he'd have the common sense to pay more attention to his surroundings.... Athrun, without trying to spoil too much, was a great character in SEED, but in Destiny he practically repeats his mistakes by siding with ZAFT instead of the friends whom he trusted his life to in the previous war, it's as if he didn't learn anything from his mistake last time. Oh, let's not forget the whole protagonist switch around midway through and plot armor that makes the lead Gundams feel close to TTGL-tier of super robots.

Don't get me wrong, I love CE and both shows, but I just wish that Destiny was a bit more polished and refined. SEED was amazing even though it can be considered just a rehash of 0079, I love the story, character development/relationships, music, and mech designs. I know I will get criticized for this comparison, but I dare say it, Destiny had the potential to be the Zeta Gundam of the CE universe with its story setup in episode 6, but it went into too many cliches, predictable plot twists and had a subpar story.
Dark Duel

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:(By taking out all the filler and stock footage and just focusing on the action)
You take out the stock footage and you'd have to completely reanimate at least half "the action", since the battles is where there's the most stock footage.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Dark Duel wrote:
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:(By taking out all the filler and stock footage and just focusing on the action)
You take out the stock footage and you'd have to completely reanimate at least half "the action", since the battles is where there's the most stock footage.
wanna know something crazy, when I was a little kid watching Gundam Seed I never NOTICED the stock footage, it is really crazy but I was into all the action that I just never saw it for some reason

now that I am older I can see all the battles use the same damn footage. I am watching the battle with the Eight Fleet, all the battle scenes already appeared in the episode which the advanced fleet shows up and Flay's dad is killed, LOL

so Bandai might have been able to fool little kids but older audiences saw the BS they tried to pull, Fukudo is an idiot I hope his wife cries forever
YOU'RE MESHI
ShadowCell

poor Mr. Fukudo. blamed for an angry fanboy's hatred of a Japanese giant robot cartoon and he had nothing to do with it! he's probably a salaryman or something somewhere and he gets home and reads what people are saying about him on the Internet (don't lie, you do it too) and sees English-speaking fanboys of the show his kids watched like ten years ago blaming him for how they don't like it and it makes him cry inside and his tears fall into his Asahi and the pain just never stops.

seriously guys do we need another "let's all bitch about Gundam SEED like it shot our grandmothers" thread? really?
tHeWasTeDYouTh

ShadowCell wrote:poor Mr. Fukudo. blamed for an angry fanboy's hatred of a Japanese giant robot cartoon and he had nothing to do with it! he's probably a salaryman or something somewhere and he gets home and reads what people are saying about him on the Internet (don't lie, you do it too) and sees English-speaking fanboys of the show his kids watched like ten years ago blaming him for how they don't like it and it makes him cry inside and his tears fall into his Asahi and the pain just never stops.

seriously guys do we need another "let's all bitch about Gundam SEED like it shot our grandmothers" thread? really?
LOL damn man not like that

I loved Gundam Seed when it came out and still do the only thing that took me back was the sheer amount of stock footage. I have seen other Gundam series and of course they have stock footage but in Seed every battle is just reused.

You can watch older Gundam shows and not have the stock footage in your head, you watch Seed and it's "damn didn't I see this battle scene two episodes ago??"

I give kudos to Fukudo for getting Kira laid and having his friend get his head sliced up by Athrun but damn those stock footage
YOU'RE MESHI
iKhaotic

I wasn't bitching, I was just pointing out things that could have been done a different way to make the series even better. I love the CE universe as a whole and despite all of its shortcomings, I still very much enjoy Destiny and thought it was a pretty good sequel.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I think maybe we are all jumping to conclusions about this news.

Sure, taking out all the stock footage and the like would be great, but the only thing we know is that this is simply a remastering of Seed. And if Dragon Ball Z was any example, they still kept the filler in for the Dragon Box collections (hey my brothers love DBZ...so I unfortunately know a lot about it too...not exactly the most girl friendly show).

So if anything, they will HD everything up. They simply said that they are remastering Seed...not redoing Seed. But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe Sunrise wants Seed to have all the stock footage taken out and the like so they can get more money out of it (and maybe make the movie?). After all, HD Gundams will sell more model kits right?

I guess, as much as the fangirl in me wants me to think of the best situation available, I can't quiet the skeptic in me.

However, lets say for the sake of argument that they do replace all the stock footage...do you guys think that Seed/Destiny's popularity would grow at all? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that most of the complaints of Seed come from the use of stock footage (remember all the hate Unicorn episode 3 got because of 30 seconds of stock?). Even if Seed's popularity doesn't grow, it would take away at least one weapon the haters use against those of us who actually liked Seed/Destiny.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Mu La Flaga

It wouldn't eleminate all the problems Destiny has in the end, but it would alleivate some of them.

Destiny's problems are beyond just the mere stock footage and flashback usage.
Such as the shift of perspective/character hijacking by Kira and Co.

That is keeping it short.