Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

So of course, I pride myself for being knowledgeable about Gundam Wing. But one thing that always stuck out to me was the Leo's "space cannon" as I called it, which is basically the After Colony's most obscure weapon. We know basically nothing about it, but if you've watched Wing you know what it is. Does this look familiar?

http://aboutgundamwing.com/SC/SC01/vlcsnap-155275.jpg

Yup, this weapon only appears in the opening montage that they air for the first 10 or so episodes of the series. To my knowledge there's no lineart, no data, not even a proper name (hence "space cannon", since it looked like a beam cannon).

So you can imagine my surprise when out of the blue, Bandai announces that the silly thing is going to be included in the Robot Damashi Leo Option Set #3.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HNhHz-SQVA4/U ... ANL050.jpg

Going through the magazine scans, I learned that rather than a beam cannon, this thing is a bazooka. And when I learned that, it finally clicked:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/endles ... azooka.jpg

Hajime Katoki: Sneaky bastard.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

The official site calls it a 大型ビーム砲 (Large Beam Cannon). Points for you for making the Serpent's Bazooka connection.

Also don't forget the RD Tallgeese also included its OP only custom Beam Rifle. These guys are clearly hardcore Wing fans!

If they ever do a RD Tragos be sure to see its custom Shorty Beam Rifle and Machinegun

**Going back on topic I've just notice the X2 Kai's Jupiter Empire's Made Buster Launcher is nearly identical to the Zanneck's Beam Cannon. A prototype perhaps, since it also appears in Ghost being used by a Thoucus unit.

Zanneck: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/v/line ... cannon.jpg
X2 Kai: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... x2-kai.jpg
Last edited by balofo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teslashark

AmuroNT1 wrote:So of course, I pride myself for being knowledgeable about Gundam Wing. But one thing that always stuck out to me was the Leo's "space cannon" as I called it, which is basically the After Colony's most obscure weapon. We know basically nothing about it, but if you've watched Wing you know what it is. Does this look familiar?

http://aboutgundamwing.com/SC/SC01/vlcsnap-155275.jpg

Yup, this weapon only appears in the opening montage that they air for the first 10 or so episodes of the series. To my knowledge there's no lineart, no data, not even a proper name (hence "space cannon", since it looked like a beam cannon).

So you can imagine my surprise when out of the blue, Bandai announces that the silly thing is going to be included in the Robot Damashi Leo Option Set #3.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HNhHz-SQVA4/U ... ANL050.jpg

Going through the magazine scans, I learned that rather than a beam cannon, this thing is a bazooka. And when I learned that, it finally clicked:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/endles ... azooka.jpg

Hajime Katoki: Sneaky bastard.
I guess this is why some games call the Dober/Toper/Turbo cannon a beam cannon, yet the animation depict such cannons shoots slugs. The games merged these two.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
AmuroNT1

I don't know if even Bandai knows what the Dobergun is supposed to be. The Leo version is always a shell-firing weapon, but the Tallgeese's seems to flip-flop. In games like G Generation it's solid, but in Gundam vs Gundam it's beam (tested using the Akatsuki's Yata-no-Kagami reflector). G Gen Overworld splits the difference by giving it two separate attacks, one solid and one beam.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Deacon Blues

The Serpent bazooka and Leo one look nothing alike 0_o;
AmuroNT1

Not the original Leo bazooka, but that one from the opening has the same basic structure as the Serpent's, and they both have elements that are reminiscent of automatic handguns.

Powerman293

That Unicorn and the 00 movie have very similar endings.
Spoiler
Both of the main characters become the Ultimate evolution of humans, some funky physical change happens to their Gundams. Both end with widespread peace and understanding displayed throughout the entire world and a lot of the characters make it out alive.
Kratos

Except...
Spoiler
In the 00 movie, it happens literally just like that. In Unicorn, the Box is revealed in hopes of doing the same, and Mineva makes a plea for peace and understanding in her broadcast, but humanity's minds aren't opened, nor does it immediately shake the reality of life in the UC to its core. Indeed, the humanity we see in F91 (and Victory) is certainly no more peaceful or understanding of each other. Plus, Newtypes aren't really presented as some ultimate evolution, though that's splitting hairs; Banagher certainly does become the Ultimate Newtype after fusing his mind with the Unicorn.

A lot of characters do make it out alive in both though.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
toysdream

I guess in this scenario...
Spoiler
Marida is Graham Aker?
Anyways, there does seem to be some similarity between the psycho-field in Gundam Unicorn (and CCA) and the GN particle fields used towards the end of the 00 series. They're both clouds of glowy green particles that make it possible for the whole human race to understand each other and direct their wills towards a common purpose.

-- Mark
BrentD15

toysdream wrote:I guess in this scenario...
Spoiler
Marida is Graham Aker?
-- Mark
I guess...
Spoiler
Graham's sacrifice was so that Setsuna could fulfill his mission to communicate with the ELS, and Marida's sacrifice was to both give Banagher time to reach his objective and to snap Riddhe out of his hysteria.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Powerman293

Kratos wrote:Except...
Spoiler
In the 00 movie, it happens literally just like that. In Unicorn, the Box is revealed in hopes of doing the same, and Mineva makes a plea for peace and understanding in her broadcast, but humanity's minds aren't opened, nor does it immediately shake the reality of life in the UC to its core. Indeed, the humanity we see in F91 (and Victory) is certainly no more peaceful or understanding of each other. Plus, Newtypes aren't really presented as some ultimate evolution, though that's splitting hairs; Banagher certainly does become the Ultimate Newtype after fusing his mind with the Unicorn.

A lot of characters do make it out alive in both though.
I was just thinking about in the immediate point where Unicorn ends sort of sense. Obviously the U.C. continues on and that stuff happens.
excalibur2008

I just noticed that D.O.M.E.'s big speech in Gundam X about what Newtypes really are could be taken as a take that towards the Universal Century and interestingly enough the end of Unicorn (which was pretty prophetic).

Mostly with seemingly calling out the adults for basically being useless and dumping the job of fixing the world on agnsty teenagers, while also pointing out that the whole waiting for Newtypes to fix everything won't solve anything becuase no one is actually trying to fix everything, they just want newtype magic to fix everything.
Mythgarr

Say that to Gundam writers in general, LOL :)
Visit The Dreams
Kuruni

Say that to Shonen anime in general. Xp
My girlfriend was a loli.
Brave Fencer Kirby

It's not really a "take that" if it's sending the same message, is it? The fact that newtypes are not "the next stage of human evolution" or something like that is displayed again and again in the UC timeline -- but that doesn't keep people like Scirocco, Haman, and Char from believing that newtype leaders ruling the Earth Sphere with an iron fist will somehow solve all of humanity's problems. Gundam X just makes explicit the same message that was implicit all through the UC timeline -- though they have unique abilities, newtypes are still just people like everyone else, not mystical visionaries or a superior species or something.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Powerman293

That the Astrea is just an Exia remold
Deacon Blues

I meant to post this earlier, but in a re-watch of everyone's favorite movie G-Saviour, I noticed two things:

- The mechanical design of a certain freighter used by Cima in 0083 appears behind a Bugu in space. This makes it arguably one of the oldest used freighters in the entire Universal Century.
- HARO has been downgraded from a rolling robot to a handheld portable device. Kobi uses it when they bust into the hanger.