Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kuruni

Re: Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out

One more for Gundam X. Under the Moonlight's RMS-012 Descem = December (12th month).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Khandri

And still one more for Gundam X that I just figured out during a recent re-watch of it.

During the Estard arc, there is a general named Lee and an advisor named Grant, and they don't get on all that well with each other because of their differing opinions on how to resolve the current crisis.

Lee and Grant. Just like Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant from the US Civil War. I never made that connection until just recently.

Not only that, but Estard's government building is a dead ringer for the US Capitol building. I wonder if they were trying to imply something here?
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
Strike Zero

It wasn't till a long time after I got into Gundam that I realized that the "R" in all of the Earth Federation MS model numbers (RX-, RGM-, RMS-, etc.) most probably stood for renpou (連邦), the Japanese term for "Federation." I've never actually read any official source that states this, but it makes enough sense that it handily blew my mind once I realized it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
AmuroNT1

Kuruni: Thought I posted this earlier, but I guess I hit the wrong button; the Descem Hornet (RMSN-012-8) gets its name from the fact that the Japanese word for bee (bachi) is a near-homophone for the word for eight (hachi).

Khandri: On top of that, Lee's surname was "Jackson", certainly a reference to Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. I remember hearing a story that around the time of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, the Japanese prime minister wanted to see places like Tara (the mansion from Gone with the Wind) and Stone Mountain (which has a carving of Lee, Jackson, and Jefferson Davis) and he remarked that Japan was like the Confederacy in many ways.

Anyway, here's one I just now discovered while looking through my lineart files for fun: The Kapool's handgun is the Dreissen's triple machinegun, minus the power cables that run up into the upper arms. Compare:
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/turn-a ... cannon.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... inegun.png
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Wingnut

AmuroNT1 wrote:Anyway, here's one I just now discovered while looking through my lineart files for fun: The Kapool's handgun is the Dreissen's triple machinegun, minus the power cables that run up into the upper arms. Compare:
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/turn-a ... cannon.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... inegun.png
Something you wouldn't think of given that the Dreissen's weapon is a beam shooter where the Kapool's is a slug shooter.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

That's been discussed in other topics, actually (like Balofo's obscure lineart topic IIRC); the beam cannon was just a proposed piece of equipment that the Neo Zeons never managed to complete, so they used machineguns instead.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

toysdream

Nope, the Dreissen's "hand guns" are beam weapons, and it says so in the old kit manual as well. (The Unicorn version, incidentally, has higher output thanks to improved power suppliers.)

-- Mark
Gyra Solune

Turn A was not the first Gundam to have a stache.

I cannot unsee it. It just so totally looks like a droopy, floofy mustache.
Last edited by Gyra Solune on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAG101

HellCat wrote:
To say nothing of G where the Neo-Japan military uses designs which are homages to such an extent their armour material directly references the specific machine they're homaging.
CHecked it up...that's true...wow...
Gyra Solune wrote:Turn A was not the first Gundam to have a stache.

Link won't work for me
Gyra Solune

DAG101 wrote:
Gyra Solune wrote:Turn A was not the first Gundam to have a stache.

Link won't work for me

Fixed it. I hope.
teslashark

Hi, this shark is back.
Just watched the documentary Trinity and Beyond several weeks ago. Because of the title, I thought about the Trinities of OO. It seems, they might be named so because of the atomic bomb, or Spectacular Destruction in Bill Bryson's words, instead of the Catholic allusion.
The three units are not really interlinked, and the crew assemble no Father, Son and Ghost. What they are good for are extremely showy destrucion of facilities, bases and pretty much anyting that looks "better" after a GN blast.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
AmuroNT1

I was playing Extreme Vs. a minute ago, and managed to unlock the Casval Rem Deikun emblem (the G-clef from Sazabi's front skirt armor). The description points out that it was designed to contain the letters "C" and "D", for...well, it should be obvious, I think.

Mythgarr

That in 08th MS-Team Shiro Amada's truly a brave man. He didn't go hide after seeing some young skin :D

In fact, he just sat there in the open!
Visit The Dreams
Gyra Solune

Mythgarr wrote:That in 08th MS-Team Shiro Amada's truly a brave man. He didn't go hide after seeing some young skin :D

In fact, he just sat there in the open!
Yeah, it's pretty well known that Shiro's kind of a badass. His other parts of characterization may be a bit flollopy, but it's assured that he isn't scared of anything and doesn't take crap from anyone.

Oh yes. I found this out the other day.

British automaker MG's logo.

Brave Express Might Gaine's logo.

...yeaaaaaahhhh...
AmuroNT1

This is one I discovered a month or so ago, but didn't think to post yet.

I was looking through MS Era, and was rather surprised to discover that the Zeon middle shield and 90mm assault rifle from Zeonic Front originated with this artbook. You can see the shield in the image of two Zakus standing beside the Statue of Liberty, and the assault rifle crops up in (IIRC) an image showing a captured GM painted in Zeon colors.

CloudFF7

In Gundam Wing Dual Story: G-Unit, the Gundam mobile suits Geminass Unit 1 and Unit 2, is a possible homage to the Gundam Mark II with one version being white(AEUG) and another being blue(Titans).
AmuroNT1

I was doing a little research on "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", and I discovered that one of the major characters is one Prof. Pierre Aronnax...sound familiar? Tho a little more digging reveals that the Professor's name is written in Japanese as アロナックス (Aronakkusu) while Tobia's is アロナクス (Aronakusu).

Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

The Throne Gundams from 00 are meant to be referred to as thrones or ophanim, a class of angel. Not sure why I hadn't connect that before. >,>;

The name had sounded pretty stupid otherwise.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
teslashark

Seraphic wrote:The Throne Gundams from 00 are meant to be referred to as thrones or ophanim, a class of angel. Not sure why I hadn't connect that before. >,>;

The name had sounded pretty stupid otherwise.
You can see the classification here:
http://www.universalonehealing.com/wp-c ... _chart.jpg
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
CloudFF7

The RX-81 G-Line, GAT-01A1 Dagger and the RGE-G1100 Adele, are their respective universes "true" mass produced version of a Gundam, and each also multiple equipment/forms for different combat roles.