Fate of the UC Main Characters

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Shinji_Shinigami

Fate of the UC Main Characters

I am not much into the side material of the UC universe,
but i kept wondering if there are storys regarding the fate of some Main characters of previous UC gundam shows.

Every show had their new set of lead characters and such, but what happend to the old ones? If you look for example of Kai Shiden or Kamille Bidan, they would make more then perfect vet mobile suit Pilots at the time of Unicorn.

What happend to all those guys?
2NA Fish

Re: Fate of the UC Main Characters

Judou appears in Crossbone Gundam Skull Heart, which is set way later in the timeline. In that, it's mentioned he's been snooping around Jupiter, which puts him far away from most of the other stories.

According to G Generations, Job John is around during the time of Gundam F90.

A character strongly implied as Miharu's(Kai's girlfriend) brother is present as a Psyco Gundam test pilot in the novel Four's Story.

That's about all I know about. Other than Zeta and ZZ, they tend not to use too many recurring characters in side stories.
Destiny_Gundam

Judau becomes the owner of the Jupiter supply fleet who regularly transport stuff between Earth and Jupiter. He's still around even during the Victory era.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
pd771

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:I am not much into the side material of the UC universe,
but i kept wondering if there are storys regarding the fate of some Main characters of previous UC gundam shows.

Every show had their new set of lead characters and such, but what happend to the old ones? If you look for example of Kai Shiden or Kamille Bidan, they would make more then perfect vet mobile suit Pilots at the time of Unicorn.

What happend to all those guys?
Kai was an ok pilot but never seemed to truly enjoy fighting. I think he felt he could do more as a reporter. Kamille isn't mentioned, but many speculate Gyunei Guss from Char's Counterattack replaced Kamille, who would have been a brainwashed cyber enhanced version of the character.

I know the main character from Blue Destiny Yu Kajima was one the Jegan pilots who helped push back Axis.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
iKhaotic

I'm dissapointed at the Gundam series' lack of recurring characters. The UC timeline is so massive and the first 3/4 of the series represented in that timeline are spaced so close to eachother that it offers so many oppurtunities for character development if we had characters from earlier series re-appear in later ones. Aside from the original White Base crew, no one else really returns or makes any major advancements in the plot of a later series.

I blame this on how they later on did newer series to place in between the older ones (08th MS Team, 0083, etc.). Forgot what exactly happened to him, but Kou Uraki would have made a great AEUG member after his experiences. Not to mention Shiro Amada, but I doubt he'd want to be anywhere near a battle again after 08th MS Team's ending/epilogue.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Kou would have jouned the AUEG in a heartbeat

but at the end of 0083 we find out that the crew of the Albion join the Titans, even Monsha, Bate and Adel become RGM-79Q pilots so Kou would be fighting his friends
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
kayone73

iKhaotic wrote:I'm dissapointed at the Gundam series' lack of recurring characters. The UC timeline is so massive and the first 3/4 of the series represented in that timeline are spaced so close to eachother that it offers so many oppurtunities for character development if we had characters from earlier series re-appear in later ones. Aside from the original White Base crew, no one else really returns or makes any major advancements in the plot of a later series.

I blame this on how they later on did newer series to place in between the older ones (08th MS Team, 0083, etc.). Forgot what exactly happened to him, but Kou Uraki would have made a great AEUG member after his experiences. Not to mention Shiro Amada, but I doubt he'd want to be anywhere near a battle again after 08th MS Team's ending/epilogue.
A bit difficult to implement since 0083 was a retcon anyway, i think the real reason main heros don't recur regularly in later series is it makes the writing easier and more flexible
shinden

I like how it is, If your going to use a new cast, bringing the old cast in can muscle the new guys out of the way. Nostalgia takes over and next thing you know, the fans want the newbie losers out of the way to make room for the old favorites.

Most guys have their one chance at greatness, and the refreshing thing about a lot of old UC gundam is that the characters are rather normal. Kai did his duty and had his fill of combat, Amuro decides to put himself back in it for his old friends and to see things through. Bright is career military, so he'll always be around. Most guys though...well, after getting close to death and serving....you generally want to live your life and do all that family and happiness stuff, trust me, I know.

Honestly, putting Kai in a mobile suit again seems wrong...it's like grabbing a Vietnam vet and telling him to suit up and get shot at again for old times sake.
By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece. -G. K. Chesterton
Dark Duel

shinden wrote:I like how it is, If your going to use a new cast, bringing the old cast in can muscle the new guys out of the way. Nostalgia takes over and next thing you know, the fans want the newbie losers out of the way to make room for the old favorites.
Yeah - look at what happened to Seed Destiny.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

kayone73 wrote:A bit difficult to implement since 0083 was a retcon anyway, i think the real reason main heros don't recur regularly in later series is it makes the writing easier and more flexible
And 0083 was a retcon, how?
darkhunger

iKhaotic wrote:I'm dissapointed at the Gundam series' lack of recurring characters. The UC timeline is so massive and the first 3/4 of the series represented in that timeline are spaced so close to eachother that it offers so many oppurtunities for character development if we had characters from earlier series re-appear in later ones. Aside from the original White Base crew, no one else really returns or makes any major advancements in the plot of a later series.
Haman... And Argama crew members like Astronaige and Torres play some role in later shows. Also Mineva plays a role in multiple shows, including a major one in Unicorn.
Rawinder

Deacon Blues wrote:
kayone73 wrote:A bit difficult to implement since 0083 was a retcon anyway, i think the real reason main heros don't recur regularly in later series is it makes the writing easier and more flexible
And 0083 was a retcon, how?
Adding new information to previously established continuity is, like, the very definition of retconning.
AmuroNT1

No, "retcon" means CHANGING something established, not merely adding to it. The Endless Waltz Gundams are an example since the official statement is "The Gundams have always looked like this". 0083 it doesn't pull any massive overall changes to the UC universe, and what it does change is very minor or understated (like implying that the Rick Dias has desigh elements from the GP02), so it's not a retcon so much as it is filling in background details.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
iKhaotic

Dark Duel wrote:
shinden wrote:I like how it is, If your going to use a new cast, bringing the old cast in can muscle the new guys out of the way. Nostalgia takes over and next thing you know, the fans want the newbie losers out of the way to make room for the old favorites.
Yeah - look at what happened to Seed Destiny.
Lol, fine, point taken. I'll also take note of the consideration of putting war veterans back on the battlefield. In most cases, recurring characters isn't a good idea. That aside however, the UC series have so many oppurtunities for great moments, even if it is just a slight bit of fanservice or a cameo. The returning characters don't even have to do much or any fighting to be successful in their return appearance. Just being there, throwing in a few lines of encouragement to the new cast, or just doing behind the scenes work is neat too (like Kai in Zeta for instance, although he could have used a bit more scenes).

I haven't seen any of Unicorn yet, so I can't judge it for having recurring characters or not.

As for 0083, I've made peace with that series and the only thing I accept from it that fits into the UC continuity is the story itself. I'm disregarding that the technology present in the series was ahead of its time...
zerogradius

It would be nice to get detailed info on the fates of MCs, but since the UC universe has yet to end, leaving it open can lead to future possibilities. As far as bringing old MCs into a new show, I have no problem with that, as long as it is done right. Zeta Gundam is an example of this. The entire White Base crew was brought back, but none of them overshadowed the new cast. In fact, the new cast was more memorable I believe than the old cast ever was. Of course, as has been mentioned, the worst case scenario would be for the old cast to overshadow the new one, as was the case with Destiny, where the old cast completely ursurped the show.

Only twice have I had an issue with bringing back old characters. The first is with Kamille and CCA, because I think he really should have been there given his relationship with both Amuro and Char. It would have been interesting to see whose side he would have been on. Or at the very least, Sayla could have been thrown into the mix. The other issue I have as far as old characters go is with how Emma Sheen was handled. Instead of killing her off, she should have been kept around for at least ZZ Gundam. She would have wiped those kids into shape real fast. I guess Tomino figured she was too serious a character to add to the comedic ZZ (though he had no problem turning Bright into a clown).

As far as the retconning of 0083 is concerned, I guess what was meant by that statement is that since the EF swept everything that happened with Operation Stardust under the rug, it in a way retconned the show since in their eyes none of it ever took place. Of course, we know that's not the case.
iKhaotic

zerogradius wrote: As far as the retconning of 0083 is concerned, I guess what was meant by that statement is that since the EF swept everything that happened with Operation Stardust under the rug, it in a way retconned the show since in their eyes none of it ever took place. Of course, we know that's not the case.
It was a cheap yet kinda smart way of using characters/organizations in the actual show to cover up the advance technology used in that series so that it would make sense for it to be absent from later series in the continuity like Zeta and ZZ: by erasing all evidence of everything that occurred during that time frame. It does feel weird as the viewer to see the things possible in 0083 like a mobile suit capable of carrying and firing a nuke and mobile armors that can single handily wipe out a fleet, while in Zeta, things are a bit more "realistic" and balanced. But as I said before, that really doesn't matter to me since I the only thing I see 0083 for is the story, not saying the series is bad however, it was pretty well done.
Black Knight

I was quite impressed with the way that the Federation swept the fact that there was a colony drop on North America in 0083 under the rug so well that when the Argama flew over that territory a few years later there was no sign of damage. If the Federation is that good with environmental reconstruction, by the time of Unicorn Australia must have been filled back in.
J-Lead

Black Knight wrote:I was quite impressed with the way that the Federation swept the fact that there was a colony drop on North America in 0083 under the rug so well that when the Argama flew over that territory a few years later there was no sign of damage. If the Federation is that good with environmental reconstruction, by the time of Unicorn Australia must have been filled back in.
I always thought it was less that and more "the Gundam Development Project, in particular, the Gundam clearly built for the purpose of firing a nuke at point blank and surviving, never actually happened and we certainly didn't shoot ourselves the foot. Oh, and the Albion crew certainly didn't prove themselves more competent and less morally bankrupt than our glorious space fleet. Oh, and we certainly didn't engage in shady deals with Zeon Pirates/War criminals we're supposed to be hunting. Oh, and the blokes at Von braun certainly didn't provide the extra propellant needed to hurl the colony towards earth. THOSE things never happened. BUT THE SPACENOIDS ARE STILL OUT TO GET US, JUST LOOK AT THE MESS THEY MADE, THOSE HOOLIGANS! You earth bureaucrats need to give us things like money and resources with zero restrictive strings attached so that we can build up a task force to protect you and not ursurp your own power right from under your noses because you people aren't complete tools." I think Bask Om's speech during the epilogue pretty much made it clear enough that they weren't doing much to cover up the fact that Zeon had dropped ANOTHER colony onto Earth, but was in fact using it as fuel to further their efforts to create the Titans.

Also I don't recall the Argama flying over the American Territory in ZZ... The Audhumla did in Zeta, but I just think that the lack of a mention was more of a case of the matter not being relevant to the task at hand, disregarding the fact that the event had not been conceived canonically yet, of course. Besides, don't forget that the colony Delaz dropped was for the most part intact, in contrast to the Colony that was dropped on Sydney, which had broken up in the atmosphere and thus rained a lot more massive debris over a much wider area.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Black Knight

You're right, I was thinking of the Audhulma's trip from Kennedy to Hickory, which took place over much of the prime agricultural areas which were the target of the 0083 colony drop, and which appeared more or less unscathed by the event. How I conflated that with the Argama I don't know. Good catch.

Still, this mysterious environmental cleanup is the only retcon brought about with 0083 I take serious issue with. The number of technological advances which have been shelved, forgotten, and prematurely destroyed until other technology caught up is rather extensive in world history. Whether it's the use of repeating crossbows in China from 400 BC until 1895, or repeating ballistae using a flat-link chain attached to a windlass dating from roughly the same period (certainly around by 200 BC, rather earlier than Leonardo da Vinci's presumed invention of the flat-link chain circa 1500 AD), or even Jack Northrop's attempts to build flying wing bombers forty years before the B-2, technology really can be "lost" or otherwise discarded only to belatedly be rediscovered or recognized for its value.
iKhaotic

I'm more amazed at the fact that the Federation erased all of operation Stardust's data so cleanly that no higher up in the entire Federation was able to underhandidly steal some of the data to use at a later time, namely 0087 <_< Come on Titans, if you have THAT much authority over the normal Federation forces, you could have easily had that data and won the war lol.

Lol plot holes.
Lol time paradoxes.

Oh Gundam, I love you so :P