4Kids Entertainment file for Bankruptcy

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

4Kids Entertainment file for Bankruptcy

So I'm not normally one to make threads BUT as I posted this in the Gundamn@MAHQ forum also.
It seems 4Kids days are now numbered.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... bankruptcy

Personally I would be happy to see them go under, there was only a handfull of their works I remotely liked.
Such as Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh of the top of my head.

Since we all know what they did to One Piece.

I just think it's something interesting to see especially if a better smaller company rise up to take their place in the area.

Much like how Funimation did when ADV went under.
Chris
Administrator

Re: 4Kids Entertainment file for Bankruptcy

Mu La Flaga wrote:Much like how Funimation did when ADV went under.
ADV didn't go under. Yes, a company with that name no longer exists, but all they did was turn themselves into Sentai Filmworks/Section 23.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

That is true, but I just meant with ADV's fall and alll Funimation pretty much took over in the market for that areea and all.

Sure ADV technically do exsist, but they are a shell of their former selves.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, I don't exactly see 4kids as evil incarnate like most people do so it's unfortunate to see yet another company on the ropes. I'm sure most of us here grew up on Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh and it opened the door for us. It deserves a salute for that much at least.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Rondo Mina Sahaku

Their editing standards may have been dubious, but they were responsible for bringing an entire generation of new fans into the anime scene, and they at least deserve credit for that. Besides, considering how the previous generations were brought in by localizations that spliced three completely unrelated anime into one series (Robotech), turned gay lovers into very unnervingly close cousins (Sailor Moon), and straight-up axed over twenty episodes of content without even trying to alter it...and then altered the rest (the first one-and-a-half arcs of Dragon Ball Z), 4Kids honestly wasn't that bad to begin with.

If 4Kids are indeed guilty of the charges brought against them by Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Japanese rights holders, then they frankly get what they deserve be it folding or whatever punishment the courts decide to mete out. If not, then this is just an unfortunate situation that's going to have an extremely negative impact on a lot of unfortunate employees of theirs. Either way, to have yet another business in the extremely niche field of anime importing fold is likely not going to be a good thing for any of us.
Amadi Akintunde

I don't really care what most people say; 4kids had a strong gathering of voice actors under its belt for the anime it dubbed. They've not made the best choices concerning how they went about dubbing their shows, but if there's one thing I gotta respect them for, it's for having a respectable cast of voice actors.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

American anime distributors always fail, I am sure Funimation will go in a few years

I used to watch Locomotion back in the day, they showed anime with NO editing and they went under after Animax bought them.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mu La Flaga

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, I don't exactly see 4kids as evil incarnate like most people do so it's unfortunate to see yet another company on the ropes. I'm sure most of us here grew up on Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh and it opened the door for us. It deserves a salute for that much at least.
Well I'm not calling them outright evil either, but their way of handling some shows never was the best way do it, although on the other hand they tried to put One Piece out there as an edited version.

But anyway just for the sake of it, Tokoyo Mew Mew is another show can be added to the list, for the edits done to it.
Destiny_Gundam

I highly enjoyed their version of Tokyo Mew Mew, actually. I eventually watched the japanese version because of it.

Anyways, it's not like they hung out in their underground lair, wringing their hands and wondering "Okay, what beloved Japanese show can we ruin this time?" All their edits were for the sake of meeting American broadcast standards and appealing to as much of the target demographic as possible. Yes, some of the edits were completely stupid (spring loaded hammer guns? WTF?) but not done out of ill intent.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dollow

4Kids are the embodiment of the "Love or Hate" company. Personally I love them for their Yu-Gi-Oh dubbing, and I don't mind the editing as I really don't watch subs so I am not the wiser. I know there are a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh fans out there who cheering about 4Kids going down, but I am very worry as it seems that Yu-Gi-Oh is going into licensing hell and the series is going to stop, a friend of mine told me I should not worry about it as there is too much money in the show for it to stop, but it is really the card game that makes the money, and overall it is not being affected too much by this. "Better the devil you know" as I would not trust Viz media's dubs since to me they are very hit or miss, 4Kids made the original Yu-Gi-Oh funny, the japanses I will be honest was very boring. All in all, I am just slightly worry for the english Yu-Gi-Oh in the states.

The editing for the other shows is something to be desired, but really I don't watch much of the others as they are shows I don't watch or care about (Sorry One Piece), Mew Mew was some what fun, but I could not keep up with it as Baseball got in the way all the time.

Overall there are people who are mega happy and others who are Uber cheering, right now 4kids looks like they are going to die, but it looks like they might have some life.
Last edited by Dollow on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Mu La Flaga

I am the same way for One Piece, some people are out for 4Kids blood more then others in the end anyway.
acsam

Rondo Mina Sahaku wrote:Their editing standards may have been dubious, but they were responsible for bringing an entire generation of new fans into the anime scene, and they at least deserve credit for that. Besides, considering how the previous generations were brought in by localizations that spliced three completely unrelated anime into one series (Robotech), turned gay lovers into very unnervingly close cousins (Sailor Moon), and straight-up axed over twenty episodes of content without even trying to alter it...and then altered the rest (the first one-and-a-half arcs of Dragon Ball Z), 4Kids honestly wasn't that bad to begin with.

If 4Kids are indeed guilty of the charges brought against them by Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Japanese rights holders, then they frankly get what they deserve be it folding or whatever punishment the courts decide to mete out. If not, then this is just an unfortunate situation that's going to have an extremely negative impact on a lot of unfortunate employees of theirs. Either way, to have yet another business in the extremely niche field of anime importing fold is likely not going to be a good thing for any of us.
sorry for replying on a old post but thanks for the Anime history lesson, i did not know that about Sailor Moon,
iKhaotic

When I was younger I did have a bone to pick with 4Kids because of how they butchered Cardcaptor Sakura, but then I just went and read the manga. I have nothing against 4kids now, so it's sad to see such a long running company go down, especially after all they've done for our generation (the ones around 20-23 years old right now at least).
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Overlord Zaru

I am literally cheering like a Blue Cosmos fanatic at this news.

Although only YuGiOh, Pokemon, and Fighting Foodons were the dubs I liked, they did a huge dishonor in butchering One Piece, which allowed Nurutu to take the Number one spot in the US.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
SonicSP

I'm just sad that an anime company is going down really. Not much personal love or hatred for it specifically. The only dub I've watched of theirs is Pokemon and only the really old ones when I was younger.