Gundam X: the one AU series that is loved by all the fanbase

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zball

Re: Gundam X: the one AU series that is loved by all the fan

I got the idea that D.O.M.E. said the whole "there's no such thing as Newtypes" nonsense to convince people to leave him alone. If the "First Newtype" and object of their search says there's no such thing, he hopes to keep people from using actual Newtypes as weapons. Basically it's about giving others like him a chance he never had, what with becoming a living moon base.
Whatever works.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Well, there ARE Newtypes. Just that, as mentioned, he tries to clear up they are not the type of "Newtypes" that are simply weapons like the (N)UNE believes nor are they the nigh-god-like beings that the Space Revolutionary Army believes them to be either. They're just regular people who happen to have a rare gift and there will always be those who will want to exploit such things to their advantage, especially as it's already known to exist as shown with the Gundams, Pautilia, and Bertigo.

Simply saying, "There's no such thing" will hardly change the beliefs of an entire people, especially those who have believed for years and through 7 previous wars. Someone like D.O.M.E. should know this.

Though, this also leads me to wonder that if the UNE made D.O.M.E. and the Moon Base in the first place, why end up all but abandoning it after the 7th Space War for pretty much anyone to grab if it's so important? Clearly it's not simply because of believing there were no more Flash Drive-equipped Gundams as they were working on the Double X already and they certainly didn't leave it up to D.O.M.E. if the GX-Bits controlled by him stopping EITHER side from trying to get to the base was any indication.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Resident of GMT-5

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I can see now why some people might not be in favor of X. I just finished the series (thank heaven for YouTube) and
Spoiler
that had to be the most anti-climatic final battle of any Gundam series I've seen. Yes, I know the show got canceled but still, it was a very "that's IT?!" moment, especially after I'd been enjoying the story so much.
You think that's bad? well there was this
Spoiler
Rebel group of a sort called Satyricon (forgot the exact name), that Garrod joined shortly after he made it to space. It got destroyed in the very episode it debuted.
The final battle got nothing on that for me.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Resident of GMT-5 wrote:
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I can see now why some people might not be in favor of X. I just finished the series (thank heaven for YouTube) and
Spoiler
that had to be the most anti-climatic final battle of any Gundam series I've seen. Yes, I know the show got canceled but still, it was a very "that's IT?!" moment, especially after I'd been enjoying the story so much.
You think that's bad? well there was this
Spoiler
Rebel group of a sort called Satyricon (forgot the exact name), that Garrod joined shortly after he made it to space. It got destroyed in the very episode it debuted.
The final battle got nothing on that for me.
That really didn't bother me as much as the final battle. Although I think they should have introduced an interesting character like Pala Sys much earlier.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I think they should have introduced an interesting character like Pala Sys much earlier.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zball

Yeah, but Jamil was great and Caris Nautilus was a badass.
Whatever works.
Mu La Flaga

Still when you get like a cut in like 10 episodes due to the cancellation, stuff like all of the above some of you have mentioned is bound to happen.

As for DOME, I reckon he is tired of seeing other Newtypes exploited himself and just tries to explain it.
I mean he got disected and all to become one giant super computer.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

If there was any reason that I stuck with Gundam X to the end, it was to catch this single defining moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nNsTv1Xao
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
iKhaotic

G-Slayer wrote:If there was any reason that I stuck with Gundam X to the end, it was to catch this single defining moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nNsTv1Xao
Lmao @ the top coments: "woah she showed them her twin buster rifles."

Heheheheheheh.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Dark Duel

I think I like this one better:
Ennil El: when she flashes you, she *flashes* you.
ROFL!!!!

Ahem...okay, I'm done with the perving out now.
But yeah, Ennil El was one of a number of really awesome characters in X.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Cybaster

Though, this also leads me to wonder that if the UNE made D.O.M.E. and the Moon Base in the first place, why end up all but abandoning it after the 7th Space War for pretty much anyone to grab if it's so important? Clearly it's not simply because of believing there were no more Flash Drive-equipped Gundams as they were working on the Double X already and they certainly didn't leave it up to D.O.M.E. if the GX-Bits controlled by him stopping EITHER side from trying to get to the base was any indication.
Mainly, this is because the New UNE wasn't nearly strong enough to regarrison D.O.M.E after the 7th Space War, much less risk provoking another pitched battle with the SRA in the process; It's implied that the Colony Drops all but annihilated the existing social order and any remaining standing government on Earth, so for 15 years, there was no UNE at *all*. It took the New UNE fifteen years to amass enough strength to become a viable world power that could reunite most of Earth under its rule once again (as well as to gather a proper space fleet in the first place), and even then, smaller alliances of nations such as the Estard-Northernbell-Gastard Coalition and the Fort Severn forces, the latter of which was still active even as the New UNE finally made its move into space, had been causing them considerable pain. In fact, Garrod stealing the Double X from under their noses (as well as the destruction of their Newtype Research Facility and all of their potential candidates) probably set the New UNE's schedule back even more, allowing Saidel to almost strike Earth first with the Colony Laser.

The same could really be asked of the SRA, and it's the same for them: they needed the time to regain their military strength where they could clean out their own backyard (Satyricon) and, more importantly, to contend with the UNE during the rush to D.O.M.E., a move which will bring the other side to arms no matter what.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Mu La Flaga

I just want to say, I KNOW the guy who uploaded that video in particular he comes to mechatalk also :P
PhineBuyM3

J-Lead wrote:I actually though X was pretty much the definition of "meh." Definitely not bad by any means, but nothing about it really stood out to me as noteworthy or fantastic. If we're talking AU, I actually thought Wing had a better constructed universe and character motivations (dialogue and character interaction is another story, but I digress,) and if we're counting the Katoki redesigns, better mechanical design aesthetic. Also Duo is a total bro.

Just throwing that out there, not everyone is really wowed by X as most think.
Who's that in your avatar?
PowerdGNFlag

PhineBuyM3 wrote:
J-Lead wrote:I actually though X was pretty much the definition of "meh." Definitely not bad by any means, but nothing about it really stood out to me as noteworthy or fantastic. If we're talking AU, I actually thought Wing had a better constructed universe and character motivations (dialogue and character interaction is another story, but I digress,) and if we're counting the Katoki redesigns, better mechanical design aesthetic. Also Duo is a total bro.

Just throwing that out there, not everyone is really wowed by X as most think.
Who's that in your avatar?
Answering in J-Lead's behalf, it's Monique Cadillac from MS IGLOO.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
swiftninja

Zeino wrote:Even Turn A isn't immune as people who've seen it think it's either a unique masterpiece or dislike it for Not being Gundam enough/Having too slow a plot, dull characters and ugly looking mecha.
When I read that its like hearing someone say they think the earth is flat.

Moving on I loved Gundam X, loads of things I didn't expect to happen in that show happend. Like Enil realising she was being a bit stupid and what happend to caris. I expected it to end like normal gundam shows seem to.

Spoiler
I expected Jamil, Enil, Caris, Ritz, Robya and maybe the main crew of the Freiden all dead by the end.
I can stand tragedy but I prefer a happy endding.
Siroh32

I don't mean to go off-topic too far here, so I'll stuff my TAG-related comments in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
...When I read that bit about Turn A, especially about the characters, it was an eye-rolling moment myself. Immediately, I wouldn't take such naysayers too seriously in an era where anyone watching too much Invader ZIM (which I like) or the random Newgrounds flash video/YouTube meme might develop a perception on interesting characters from those (or fast-paced police shows), stumble onto and like Wing, and find Duo to be the most interesting and energetic character as he slashes through a random Mobile Suit/Doll grunt.

To be fair, the plot starts out slowly in the common space invaders vs. earthers type of struggle (that even Turn A lampshades with the occasional reference to the original Gundam), but even in these early episodes, there're things still going on that keep you interested enough, even in the first episode, which is devoid of mecha action. I still think if you were to skip a few episodes at a time until you reach episode 27 (where things start to pick up), you'd miss some enjoyable moments.

In the end, I mostly think the naysayers just didn't bother watching, and even if they did a little bit, never wanted to give the thing a chance for whatever reason. I got hooked on the quality of the audio and visual aesthetics, the actual setting, the characters, the mecha, and the story. It's not perfect, but my tastes find it close enough.
It's been years since I've watched Gundam X. I know I can... *shrug* But from what I remember, even if it doesn't seem like it when you compare it with one or two other Gundam stories and analyze it, the history and setting of the After War period is about as bleak as it can get, and I honestly thought it would still operate that way right until the end, but I didn't get that. Despite having watched a few others like GW and 08th, I didn't expect Gundam to have many happy endings, and figured it would be the case here.

I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but I liked Garrod. Tiffa seems a bit distant, but it was meant to be that way. Despite not truly winning out-and-out when going against Garrod and the others, I found the Frost Brothers to truly appeal formidable. The way they present themselves, though, seem annoying. I've seen it before on at least another anime/manga on the protagonist side in some anti-hero/unknown-ish way. I found one or two of the Frieden crew appealing, and I didn't seem to mind the other MS pilots.

Of the things I'm mostly sure about, though, one is that I never got bored with X enough to give up. Maybe I'm a bit too easy to entertain though, since I don't think I was bored with other Gundam anime I've seen thus far. It would also explain why I'm more accepting of older 1/144 NG Gunpla than the average Gunpla builder or gossiper. But that's not to say that--the moment the intro for any one of these starts--I get so glued and go "Ooooh, aaaaaah!" over the Gundams ripping into other Mobile Suits. I enjoy a good story, interesting characters, some drama, some light humor amongst a couple of characters to add a bit more life to the story... If I purely wanted mecha combat, I'd probably would hardly go through a Gundam show and would just stick to YouTube clips and video games.

And Gundam X has a story interesting enough to keep me going... Even if I find the setting and backstory a bit too bleak.