Gundam X: the one AU series that is loved by all the fanbase

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeino

Gundam X: the one AU series that is loved by all the fanbase

Here is something I find interesting, Out of the Alternative Universe Gundam series, After War Gundam X is the only one that the entire fanbase seems to like on consisent basis. In fact I don't ever recall encountering a Gundam fan who hated X, Only those who hadn't seen it and those who have and think it's awesome.

Let's compare it to the other AU Gundam series, Wing, is either considered to be the very best, the very worst or just okay. The same mostly goes for G and Seed while Seed Destiny gets nothing but hate for the most part. Meanwhile 00 was at first well-received during Season 1 but alot of fan views on it have soured since Season Two and even moreso on Awaking of a Trailblazer. Even Turn A isn't immune as people who've seen it think it's either a unique masterpiece or dislike it for Not being Gundam enough/Having too slow a plot, dull characters and ugly looking mecha.

But X is almost always acknowledge as one one of the better Gundams if not the best. What makes it the one Gundam series the fanbase can get together in agreement?
iKhaotic

Re: Gundam X: the one AU series that is loved by all the fan

Tiffa. End of discussion.

Lol seriously though, Gundam X is my 3rd favorite Gundam series. I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I like it is because the characters are very likeable, the tone isn't too serious or too laid back, the music is amazing (love both opening themes!), and the story works well despite it being cut short. I also really like the Gundam Double X's design, and it is quite possibly my favorite mobile suit. Garrod is a great protagonist, due to how he lived as a scavenger prior to the start of the series, he isn't as well raised or naive as most other Gundam protagonists. He has combat experience and knows how to pilot a mobile suit. His rescue of Tiffa in episode 34 is just plain awesome. The Frost brothers are really neat villains also, they act like they side with one of the two factions, but then end up having their own agenda, which is always a plus in my book when it comes to antagonists, it keeps the story interesting.

That's about the gist of it. Keep in mind that was all my opinion though, so feel free to disagree, but just don't hate it though if you don't see eye to eye with it...
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
mcred23

Zeino wrote:But X is almost always acknowledge as one one of the better Gundams if not the best. What makes it the one Gundam series the fanbase can get together in agreement?
I don't think it's agreement so much as it is that the people who don't like the series tend to keep quiet about the subject, and diehard fans of the series are quite vocal about it. It's very much like Zeta Gundam, which is also very highly praised by a large number of people within the fan community as one of the better Gundam series, if not the best, but there is definitely fans who dislike that series, its come up a number of times over the years. The same is true of Gundam X, or any Gundam series you want to talk about, they're all going to have some people who love the series in question, and some who hate it.
Last edited by mcred23 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Arbiter GUNDAM

Zeino wrote:Meanwhile 00 was at first well-received during Season 1 but a lot of fan views on it have soured since Season Two and even more so on Awaking of a Trailblazer.
Obviously whoever these people are, they're crazy. At least Trailblazer did a better job of introducing aliens to the Gundam metaverse than SEED's space whale did.

Anyway, I would attribute it to two things. First, X is a little more obscure than some of the other shows. Second, I'm willing to be that most of the people who have seen X are sensible fans and not trolls. I don't know why, but those other series you mentioned seem to attract lots of those buggers, with the possible exception of Turn A.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
LightningCount

Well, I remember there being some negative arguments about Gundam X not too many years back here, where I was defending the merits of X. I don't think it's as immune as you might think.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Chris
Administrator

Zeino wrote:Here is something I find interesting, Out of the Alternative Universe Gundam series, After War Gundam X is the only one that the entire fanbase seems to like on consisent basis. In fact I don't ever recall encountering a Gundam fan who hated X, Only those who hadn't seen it and those who have and think it's awesome.
This is a pretty sweeping generalization. I've always seen groups of people who dislike X. And about 10 years ago when it was less seen by Western audiences, a lot of people were trashing it as a bad show simply because it had been canceled. Of course, by that logic the same is true about MSG. Anyway, the point is that you're never going to find a Gundam series that fans will consistently praise because people's tastes differ vastly.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
DuelGundam2099

A gundam series that is loved by everyone? And it's X? Could have sworn that's Zeta/0080/Turn A/Unicorn, but oh well.
Seed Destiny gets nothing but hate for the most part.
Some people like it (like me), we're just not that vocal because we don't want a thousand and one hate messages (kind of the reason I lurked here for a week before making my account). :P

But to be on topic the reason X (and I'll put Victory in here too) isn't bashed is mainly due to the fact of obscurity, most fans either A) Aren't aware of it or B) Have no interest because it is obscure or not in the US or whatever stupid excuse.
Dark Duel

My main problem with Destiny is that it had a lot of potential, which it squandered very fast. And that is all I'll say on the subject.

As for X, I'd have to concur that one of its big strengths (or weaknesses, YMMV) is its relative obscurity compared to, for example, Wing. At least to the US fandom.
However, I do think it gets a lot less hate than, for example, Turn-A, for a couple of reasons.
1. It's not as heavily character-driven as Turn-A was. X is great in that it manages to balance the character stuff with the combat pretty well, whereas some others tend to lean very heavily towards one or the other. Wing, for example, I feel more strongly emphasizes the action/combat, with very few characters receiving any appreciable development over the course of the series. Turn-A is the exact opposite - character development is heavily emphasized, and combat usually takes a back seat.
X sort of juggles back and forth between the two fairly successfully, which I think probably contributes to its popularity.

2. Jamil Neate. Because the guy combines Amuro Ray, Bright Noa, and Quattro Bajeena into one awesome package, and then turns the awesome up to 11.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Imperial

I think you've got your perceptions skewed a bit, Zeino. X is not universally loved. I've seen people bashing it for any number of reasons: Not taking advantage of its post-apocalyptic setting, rehashing the Universal Century, annoyance at the Frost Brothers, etc.

X simply has the benefit of being one of the least polarizing installments of the franchise. Whereas G gets flack for not being a "real" Gundam show and Destiny is notoriously controversial, X comparatively flies under the radar. Not as many people have seen it and formed radical opinions about it, so you have less opportunity for someone to fly off the handle in a rage about its perceived failings.
This space for rent
InjuredPelican

Maybe you mean UC fans are more open to X? It has more similarities to the UC than the other Gundam AUs (much more than Turn A which many people try to shoehorn into the UC canon). But it also has Gundams that can bring it, just not too powerful (outside of the Satellite Cannon. Which is still more balanced than the Buster Rifle). I'd say, like most others here, that obscurity is what really keeps it from getting slammed though.

And on a personal note, I like it for its unique (for Gundam) setting of Post-Apocalyptic world, its awesome main character Garrod, and well written supporting cast. I think many mecha designs are kind of weak in appearance, but seem pretty cool otherwise.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Mu La Flaga

Destiny I liked up until a point when Kira and co Gundamjacked the show, until that point those last 15 or so episodes they could have turned some things around.

As for Gundam X, I enjoy it for these reasons.
1.The characters, you mercenaries and you have the remains of 2 army factions from the last big war.
2.The setting with the whole Earth having lots of people dead, huge impact craters in the world from colony drops and even to the designs of the MSes and Gundams are interesting.

Those are the main 2 reasons, along with the whole story being a set of arks that linked to each other.

I don't have much more I can add on to that though.
Dark Duel

InjuredPelican wrote:its awesome main character Garrod
Yeah, it's kind of hard not to like a kid who can pick a fight with a fully-armed mobile suit while himself armed with only a flashbang, grappling hook, and handgun...and actually win.
InjuredPelican wrote:I think many mecha designs are kind of weak in appearance, but seem pretty cool otherwise.
I actually LOVED that about X as compared to some other AUs. A lot of the designs - not only the grunts, but also the Gundams - are NOT overpowered, but actually pretty balanced and reasonable in capabilities. Keeps things more interesting.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
InjuredPelican

Dark Duel wrote: I actually LOVED that about X as compared to some other AUs. A lot of the designs - not only the grunts, but also the Gundams - are NOT overpowered, but actually pretty balanced and reasonable in capabilities. Keeps things more interesting.
I didn't mean physically, cause they all look like scary giant robots. I think some of them just don't stand out visually as compelling designs. Interestingly, Double X's line art is pretty horrible to me, but it looks great in animation.

I do like the fact that the Gundam's are not too overpowered as well. I feel like they actually had to have a Gundam team to survive unlike most AU Gundam series.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
J-Lead

I actually though X was pretty much the definition of "meh." Definitely not bad by any means, but nothing about it really stood out to me as noteworthy or fantastic. If we're talking AU, I actually thought Wing had a better constructed universe and character motivations (dialogue and character interaction is another story, but I digress,) and if we're counting the Katoki redesigns, better mechanical design aesthetic. Also Duo is a total bro.

Just throwing that out there, not everyone is really wowed by X as most think.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Black Knight

I also found GX to be kinda underwhelming. While the doctor and Jamil are fun, the writing staff couldn't seem to find any way to advance the plot that didn't involve kidnapping Tiffa. It got a little old by the fifth time Garroad had to rescue her.
Arbiter GUNDAM

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Garrod is Gundam's version of Mario.
Huh? I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm about to start watching GX so I'll let you know how I feel.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

Huh? I don't get it.
The constant damsel in distress and the main protagonist having to save her every other time. No other Gundam series has that if you think of it. Not to mention Garrod's sometimes thick headed enough to shatter bricks. :P
iKhaotic

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Huh? I don't get it.
The constant damsel in distress and the main protagonist having to save her every other time. No other Gundam series has that if you think of it. Not to mention Garrod's sometimes thick headed enough to shatter bricks. :P
I'd like to present you subject A: Shakti from Victory Gundam. Lol, I think she needed more rescuing than Tiffa if I remember.

As for the mecha designs, I like them for the most part. I'll just cover the 3 lead protagonists Gundams: Leopard is just a rehash of Heavyarms in a way, so not much to say about that one. Before Airmaster came around, there weren't many transforming Gundams yet aside from Zeta, Double Zeta, and Wing as far as I know (Victory's 3 unit separation into a core fighter doesn't count). Gundam X is really neat and a well rounded Gundam to me, it has a basic beam rifle, beam sabers, and the satellite cannon for heavy weaponry when the need arises. The Double X is one of my favorite overall Gundam designs.

It's true though that the series didn't take advantage of the potential it had in it's post apocalyptic setting, instead going to a typical "Earth vs Spacenoids" type conflict that we've seen all too many times in Gundam. Aside from that main premise though, I find the underlying story to be enjoyable. I like how Gundam X is the first AU series to have Newtypes and having a story for that. The whole Vulture thing just trying to do their thing and getting caught up in the war sounds all too familiar, but the side encounters they run into are entertaining. Also, I may be one of the very few who actually like the Frost brothers? lol...
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
InjuredPelican

I liked the Frost Brothers, but I prefer them when they're out of the cockpits. They seem very intelligent and sly, but they almost never, if ever, win any mecha fights. Seems like they should have been leaders of more powerful pilots.
-Loran Cehack