What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kenji

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

I watched Puella Maga Madoka Magica (I use Latin correctly :P ). I've heard it was good, but it was actually much better than I was expecting. :)
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
DuelGundam2099

So all day I've been barreling through Heavy Metal L.Gaim and I'm now up to episode 51. Yeah, eleven episodes, my second longest marathoning of any anime series after when I saw G Gundam (I could literally marathon myself through seventeen eps. Once for 17 eps, once through 14 eps, only Gundam X really compared until now.) So yeah, I'm enjoying it, this series definitely picked up the pace since it first began. I'll watch the last three eps tomorrow, right now I'm a tad tired.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Lets see here, my current anime...

The stuff I am watching now: Fafner, SDF Macross (dub is actually pretty good), Bleach (episode 200 right now), Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Claymore, Soul Eater, D.Gray Man, Victory Gundam, Hellsing (yawn, Ultmate is so much better), Vampire Knight (girl remember? Don't judge!)

Stuff that is on my list to watch: G-Gundam (I am rewatching it, since I only saw parts of it when I was 12), Dragon Ball Z Kia, Afro Samurai, Black Butler, Eden of the East, Heroic Tales, Escaflowne, Gunslinger Girl, Gurran Lagann, Rahxephon.

Stuff I watched and recommend: Eureka Seven (still I am amazed that more people haven't watched this series and that MAQH hasn't reviewed it yet. It is probably one, if not the best anime I have ever seen), Ah My Goddess (amazing music and a fantastic couple)...and guys can watch it too, your girlfriends (cough cough, anyone?) will think you are more sensative if you "enjoy" it. You may be surprised... Last Exile, Samurai Seven, Full Metal Panic, ect. The list coudl go on and on, but since this is maqh, I am sure you people have already seen most of what I said.

But seriously, if you haven't already, watch Eureka Seven.

Wow...my 100th post. Is that like, a record for girls on this site?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Mu La Flaga

Nah it's not anything special just the usual post count change :P

Also I will say Fanfer I liked alot, Eureka Seven I would not go that far with calling it that.
That and also Lightining Count feels simillarly on it.

If you end up enjoying Fafner, I would point you in the direction of Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry.

Gurren Lagann and Rahxephon you should enjoy.

As for Macross I don't have the DVD set of that one unfortunately

I could recommend stuff depending on what your in to or have seen?
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Duel

Gurren Lagann is practically one long continuous series of CMoAs, all of which defy common sense and, usually, the laws of physics. A DEFINITE must-see.
I concur with Mu La Flaga on Fafner. Personally of the anime I've seen to feature Hisashi Hirai's character designs, it's my favorite, bar none. It's also one of my top three favorite mecha anime of all time.

I tried the first Hellsing anime, but other than Crispin Freeman as Alucard it just does not even come close to the level of awesome that Ultimate attains, so I dropped it.
I really need to pick Gravion Zwei back up - I just rewatched all four currently-available DVD sets of FMA Brotherhood and I still haven't finished Zwei.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
LightningCount

RE: Soma and the crew...
Mu La Flaga wrote:Eureka Seven I would not go that far with calling it that.
Tha and also Lightining Count feels simillarly on it.
Whoa, I got a name drop! 8)

Yeah, my deepest apologies, Soma, but Eureka Seven didn't do it for me. Granted, I still have five episodes and its reimagined movie to grind through at some point in the future, but I just couldn't get into E7 all that much. I thought it had a good plot in theory, but was too scatter-brained and long-winded in its execution that it kind of lost its "punch." And the cast just largely kind of of left me hanging in that they felt sort of bland. (Character designs leaned a little too much toward the '70s, too).

I do respect E7, though, and think it's a notable anime from the last decade with great production values. It has stretches of excellent episodes, such as the ones about Will and Martha, or Ray and Charles; but it just never capitalizes on its ideas consistently enough for me to feel "connected" to its characters and story. I mean, the Renton x Eureka never worked for me as well as past coming-of-age relationships of their type in anime, such as Van x Fiona from ZOIDS, or Garroad x Tiffa from Gundam X.

"Xam'd: Lost Memories," by the same studio (BONES), while I've only seen half of it, feels like a more polished and honed version of Eureka 7. It has a lot of similar elements. I want to see the rest of Xam'd, but I haven't picked up the 2nd collection DVD yet. If E7 is your fav anime, you'd probably get a kick out of Xam'd.

Hmm. Now, what else? I like shows with a good balance of yin and yang.

Gurren Lagaan. It's good, but a bit too over-the-top for my liking. By that I mean, it gets so ridiculous on what is possible, that the consequences feel watered down the further it goes along. I feel like this was GAINAX's off-the-wall answer to BONES' Eureka 7. Again, it has moments, but I just couldn't get behind it 100%, and it didn't crack into my favorite anime list.

RahXehpon. Now here's a big favorite of mine. Great mystery, relationships, designs, action, historical/cultural/literary references...it's got a little bit of everything. And it's one of those series that gets better in multiple viewings because you pick up more of the subtleties.

I still need to give Fafner a try, but I'm not a big fan of the character designer (got my fill through SEED) and I'm not sure if the digital mecha will animate well enough for my tastes.

G-Gundam is very cool. One of my favorite Gundams--like, top 5. It sometimes comes off as goofy, but it has amazing heart, powerful story twists, an awesome cast, and memorable confrontations. I'd recommend Gundam X and Gundam Wing if you like this. Gundam Wing is probably what I consider the most "complete" Gundam series to this date.

Last Exile is a great show that's grown on me over the years. In this vein, I recommend Blue Submarine #6 (same character designer and studio) and Yukikaze (same studio and its about the air).

Afro Samurai has great animation, but is too crass for my tastes.

Hellsing TV, I've only seen 3 of the 4 DVD releases--memorable characters, but everything else fell flat. I want to see the Ultimate version, but I'm waiting for it all to be done.

I'm also watching FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood right now. On Episode 52. The whole FMA franchise has been presented piecemeal over the years, so it's impact is not as big as it might have been on me, but I find it fun, memorable, and at times, fantastic.

Some day I plan to see Escaflowne. I saw a few edited episodes on FOX back in the day. It intrigued me, but I wasn't sure about it. Then I saw the reimagined Movie Version, and that soured me on the Escaflowne universe.

Gunslinger Girl is solid, but mostly depressing and disturbing.

A few other things I would recommend that are worth seeing other than Blue Sub 6, Yukikaze, Gundam Wing, Gundam X, and Xam'd include (off the top of my head):
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Macross Plus
Witch Hunter Robin
Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force
Zoids: New Century ZERO
Wolf's Rain
(Of course, other Gundams, like 0080 and 08th MS Team in particular, are also very good if you haven't seen them yet).

***EDIT:

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Sunrise anime, THE BIG-O (Season 1 and 2). Terrific show, if a little frustrating in its inability to answer all of my questions. But then, maybe that's part of its charm.

Also, the newest anime I'm watching is Durarara! on Adult Swim. It's one of those anime that kind of defies definition. A psychological piece along the lines of Death Note, Monster, or Paranoia Agent. So far, I'm intrigued by the two episodes I've seen, even if it isn't my usual genre.

Lastly, Soma, here is your 100 post prize: :idea: :mrgreen: :idea:
Last edited by LightningCount on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Mu La Flaga

@Lightning Count: I would say ignore Hisashi Hirai's designs, you get used to them.

If I was to say perfect meach series I would poin in the direction of Code Geass(both seasons)

For a super robot show I would be tempted to say GaoGaiGar and FINAL by extension.
LightningCount

Mu La Flaga wrote:@Lightning Count: I would say ignore Hisashi Hirai's designs, you get used to them.

If I was to say perfect meach series I would poin in the direction of Code Geass(both seasons)

For a super robot show I would be tempted to say GaoGaiGar and FINAL by extension.
Yeah, I eventually got used to Hisashi Hirai's designs in Gundam SEED, and I was able to enjoy the Cosmic Era (particularly the second time through). I just like so few series with digital CG mecha. I think ZOIDS season 1-3 and the Rebuild of Evangelion movies are the only ones I've been okay with to this point. Even so, I do plan to give Fafner a try. After having tracked down Gasaraki, Fafner's one of the last of the reportedly "deep" mecha shows (ala RahXephon, The BIG-O, Evangelion) out there, so I've got to check it out.

As for Code Geass, it is a show I'll return to eventually. I saw about 99% of the first season (missed maybe 1 or 2 episodes at most due to circumstances at the time). It was different and interesting, but it never overwhelmed me. Its fan service and pop sensibilities kind of clashed with the subject matter too often. So, I don't know if I'd list it very high (personally), but it definitely had a good premise. I will say that it was one of the more notable anime in the last several years. I think hearing so much bad press for the second season is in part what prevented me from giving it a second chance sooner (that, and, again, the character designs were hard to swallow for me). I think Gundam Wing and Gundam 08th MS Team are probably the benchmarks for standard "mecha" anime for me.

I keep hearing the praises of GaoGaiGear around MAHQ. (G-Gundam, The BIG-O, RahXephon, and Gun x Sword are about as close to loving Super Robot-ish genre as I've gotten). Regardless, I guess I'll have to check GGG out eventually, too.

(Not that it matters, but I went back and clarified some thoughts and added a few suggestions/current viewings on the previous post).
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I have seen every single Gundam, OVA, Movie, and TV series, except for G-Gundam and Victory. I am working my way through Victory and I am technically rewatching G-Gundam...so when it comes to mecha series I have had my fill unless there is something earth-shaking that I haven't seen yet. (Yes I have seen Evangelion and Code Geass and loved it, but that is beaten to death so much on the "loved anime chart" that I decided not to mention them.) But do you guys know of any mecha series that are a "must see"?

Lightning Count has given me an interesting list, but are there any others?

Also, since I am considering taking a break from mecha series, anyone know of any other good anime series that are just "out there"? I have seen xxxHolic and pride myself in looking like a real life version of Himawari (but with red hair), but are their anything else? They don't have to be nessesarily in that vain, I just want to know if there are any underground series I am missing.

I still love Eureka 7, but to each their own...but I do think you guys should read the manga of E7. The ending is actually better then the anime's...which is saying something from an adaptation. It actually made me cry...while the anime gave me hope...so...hmm...

On a different note, I didn't actually like the ending of Last Exile. To be honest it was a bit of a let down.
Spoiler
Mostly I was just upset with how Maestro Delphine was killed...that woman was an idiot. Yes she was insane, but that isn't a good excuse for what seemed to me a thrown together death. I am so-so about Dio's death. It was kind of sad, but at the same time it was kind of stupid. But that summed up his character perfectly...so either it was a genius death...or another thrown together one...I still can't decide. But was he killed? He might (underline the might) have survived. Oh and there is a sequel in the works?! What?!!!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
LightningCount

Soma Taozi wrote:But do you guys know of any mecha series that are a "must see"?

Also, since I am considering taking a break from mecha series, anyone know of any other good anime series that are just "out there"? I have seen xxxHolic and pride myself in looking like a real life version of Himawari (but with red hair), but are their anything else?

On a different note, I didn't actually like the ending of Last Exile. To be honest it was a bit of a let down.
Anyone else can jump in at any time! Not trying to overstay my welcome. :oops: Based on your notes, I'll clarify/alter the list (if I put a "^^" after the title, it means it's a personal favorite/top pick of mine at present; "^" = runner-up):

So, as far as MECHA/GIANT ROBOT series, the only ones I’d recommend without any reservation given what you’ve seen would be RahXephon^^ and THE BIG-O^^. Both of these double as pretty “weird,” especially the latter, which will test your brain power as it goes along. The tagline/premise is, basically, "40 years ago, everyone lost their memories all at once." (Others I’d recommend for eye-popping technical merit, like Gasaraki, just don’t work as a satisfying narrative when taken as a whole. So I'll stick with the aforementioned two as "must see"...Wait, on second thought, if you like Macross, don't miss Macross Plus!--I'll list it in the later recommendations, though).

Big-O Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_HTdn3NPE&

RahXephon Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbiGpBQcn7Q

OTHER TYPES/NON-MECHA

***space dramas with a twist, and generally strong storytelling bent, lovable characters, and nice design work

Cowboy Bebop^^
A stylish tale of humanity following a motley crew forced together by fate, taking bounty hunting jobs to make a living as they learn about and confront themselves and their pasts. Often considered one of the best anime ever made. Has a movie side-story, too.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbKF_uo ... re=related

Trigun^^
An eccentric lone gunman on a desert planet is stalked by two armed female insurance agents; but not all is as it seems. Switches between comedy, dead-seriousness, and philosophy on a dime like FMA. Cult classic. A new movie side-story just came out.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJVyIXeUznY

Outlaw Star^^
A less subtle version of Cowboy Bebop, that predates it, with bigger scope. It's less known, and can be uneven, but it's a lot of fun, and manages to have poignant messages of its own.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerVlii3 ... re=related

***Psychological Flight drama

Area 88 OVA version^^
A young man in love gets tricked by his best friend into signing up for a mercenary air force. Trapped in that life, he fights to get back to the woman he loves, while his friend makes a play on her. But can he stay the same man?

Yukikaze^^
A secret war with aliens in a dimensional rift has been occurring for decades. The outside world has turned a blind eye to this war, believing nothing will come of it, and sends its most maladjusted pilots to fight it. One of those anti-social pilots, Rei, has bonded with his fighter's unique AI. But this bond, and the war, will either drive him toward insanity or the truth of what is occurring in the dimensional rift.

The Sky Crawlers^
In a manufactured war, child pilots who are anything but ordinary search for a reason to live.

***Supernatural investigations

Witch Hunter Robin^^. Kind of like Ghost in the Shell, but with a heart and soul. Follows conspiracies and investigations involving modern witchcraft. Starts episodic, but builds into something more. Interesting female leads anchor and add to a great cast of characters.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANyvcR3g ... re=related

***Water-based adventure

Blue Submarine #6^^
A scientist has caused a partial pole shift, causing the world to flood. The crew of Blue Sub 6 is part of a project to prevent the world from getting worse, and are trying to re-recruit a burned out ace submarine pilot who left after a related and tragic incident. However, a new race of sea people has emerged that want to wipe humanity out. And the scientist who caused all this disastrous change may not be the self-absorbed madman he has been pegged to be.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjslNGI-u0

***Fantasy adventure

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit^
A spearwoman-bodyguard protects a cursed prince at the behest of his mother from an entire nation and unnatural forces. Thrilling at times, terribly plodding at others, it's nevertheless an interesting journey. It features one of the best heroines in anime as far as I'm concerned in its lead, Balsa.

***Purely weird, “out there” one-of-a-kind stuff?

Requiem from the Darkness.
It deals with ghost stories, and that’s all I’ll say. It’s interesting, but is rather episodic and can be gruesome.

Read or Die OVA version
About a semi-klutzy woman agent who uses paper as a weapon…that’s another weird one that can be fun.

Wolf’s Rain^
About wolves that look like humans to everyday people in a sci-fi/fantasy future Earth trying to reach a place called "Paradise" before the end of the world. It doesn’t all come together, but it’s memorable for what it tries, and is gorgeous art-wise.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4LtVKC-sM

Xam'd: Lost Memories^
Sort of a mecha show, but more biological in nature. This is one recommendation I haven't seen all of yet, but it's Eureka 7-esque.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRDutW1YDc

Monster^
A neurosurgeon saves a boy's life. That boy comes back to ruin the doctor's life and many others. He must now stop the man he saved as a boy. A slow burn that stalls in parts, but an engrossing series that's very different.

Death Note^
Probably have seen this one. A grim reaper loses his notebook that allows people the power of death. Falls into the hands of a brilliant student, who then is tracked by an equally brilliant detective.

Fooly Cooly FLCL
Oddball series about growing up that largely escapes my logic to this day.

***Horror-action

Vampire Hunter D^
Anime's original famous vampire hunter in his first tale.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust^^
Must see sequel!

***Samurai

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal^^. Prequel to the Rouroni Kenshin anime TV series. It’s a very thoughtful, powerful, and serious look at a young samurai’s transformation during a time of turmoil.

Samurai Champloo
Hip-hop samurai. An odd paradox/mash-up journey that works at times, but suffers as a whole. The beginning and ending are the best parts. The middle doesn't hold together well, IMO.

Rouroni Kenshin
Too long with too much filler, yet it can be entertaining and even fantastic at times.

***Fighting anime with a twist

Yu Yu Hakkusho: Spirit Detective^
Basically one of the prototypes for Bleach, but better, IMO.

Yoriden Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors^^
A bit of a stretch as far as suggestions, but it has a unique premise about sentai samurai with powers in modern times, and I find it rather charming.

***Video Game-based Fighting anime

Fatal Fury Trilogy (Legend of the Hungry Wolf, The New Battle^, The Motion Picture^^)
All these (OVAs/movie) are connected, but the third one is the big payoff and the real standout. Follows Terry and Andy Bogard, who each seek to be the "King of Fighters" and earn the right to a secret technique while seeking revenge for their murdered father. However, their abilities attract trouble, and eventually put them and their friends, ninja Mai and kickboxer Joe, on a quest that will test their limits.

Darkstalkers: Nightwarrior's Revenge
So-called monsters such as vampires, werewolves, and ghosts either exploit or struggle to coexist with mankind as a threat grows that will attempt to consume them all.

***Cyber Punk

Bubblegum Crisis franchise
I don't care for this all that much--too uneven--but it is famous and popular.

Cyber City OEDO 808^^
One of those hidden gems about convicts turned into sci-fi cops. But the English dub version is very crass, just to warn you.

***Now, when/if you do go back to MECHA, these are good shows:

Macross Plus^^
A pseudo-sequel to SDF Macross. It stands alone as a classic, or it serves as a worthy alternate history successor to SDF Macross. [EDIT: Evidently, it is considered an official sequel; but plays more like a side-story or stand-alone piece more often than not].

Zoids: Chaotic Century^^
A young boy exploring ruins meets a girl and a robotic lifeform that looks like a dinosaur; the three begin a long journey of discovery in a colonized planet rife with bandits, war, ancient ruins, and intrigue. Reminiscent of Gundam X, but with more twists, characters, and sub-plots. CG elements take a while to get used to, but improves with time. Pioneered cel-shaded CG elements in anime today.

Zoids: Guardian Force^^
Sequel to Chaotic Century

Zoids: New Century ZERO^^
Sequel to Guardian Force, takes place generations later, and has more of a G-Gundam bent).

Orguss 02^
Interesting sort of Victorian time-rift OVA with mecha.

Gun x Sword^
A mixture of Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and the BIG-O by the maker of Code Geass. Could have been a lot better, but is still fun.

Gasaraki^
Basically tries to do mecha in the real world, but then adds a Shinto twist. Its characters are uneven, often flat; the story is a bit of a mess and very plodding; and yet it's still memorable somehow for what it tries to do. Think 00 Season 1, without the Gundams. If the HRL Tierens were basically the only mecha, with all the heavy political backdrop.

There are other anime that seem promising, like Noir, but I haven't seen enough to know one way or the other. (I'd like to recommend the Gungrave anime sing you like Hellsing, but it deviates too much from the source material that it's lacking as a whole). There are also olden classics that have their merits, like Venus Wars, Memories, Akira, Wings of Honnemise--but I have mixed feelings about those. So those noted are your best bets, IMO. I'm sure I'll think of something else later, but this will do to give you choices.

In conclusion, I wanted to comment on Last Exile. I haven't seen it in a number of years. I intend to watch it again, though. I do remember the ending being a little lackluster, but something about it stuck with me, and that's usually a good thing in an industry that seems to be making less and less great anime, IMO. I don't think the sequel will work, but we'll see.

PS: What Gundams have you liked the best? Just curious.
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mu La Flaga

@Lightning Count: On Geass, you should always remeber, don't take Tetra Val's opinions at face value much, we know how opinionated he can be around here, I would say go through with the whole thing and form your own opinion on Code Geass.

And this ia question for both of you.
If you want I can type up my list of series and brief thoughts on them, so you can both get som ideas from them if your curious?
reeoyuy

LightningCount wrote: Macross Plus^^
A pseudo-sequel to SDF Macross. It stands alone as a classic, or it serves as a worthy alternate history successor to SDF Macross.
Wait, pseudo-sequel? I believe that Macross Plus is continuing the same timeline with SDF Macross and every other Macross (except Macross II). With the fact that VF-19 and VF-22 in Macross 7 are developed from Plus' YF-19 and YF-21. And also
Spoiler
I heard that Isamu and his 19 appeared as cameo on 2nd Macross Frontier movie
Macross II will fit the description of "pseudo-sequel" more, as it not fit within other series timeline. Also, it's the only title where Shoji Kawamori was not involved in production at all. Now that's what I'd call alternate history.
mcred23

Well, I just finished Gundam X, and I'm somewhat mixed on it. The show was pretty good overall, I don't think it had many poor moments, but I don't think it had many great ones either. It just never quite grabbed me in the way the shows I really liked do. Normally, when I really like a show, as was the case with Victory and others, when I finish an episode, I can't wait to watch the next one. But with Gundam X, that feeling never really stuck. It took about 15 episodes before it finally hit, and then wasn't consistant until the last 12 or so. I'm not saying the episodes in there were ones I liked less or anything... I don't really know, they simply didn't pull me in and keep me wanting more for whatever demented reason I can't put my finger on :|. In the end, I enjoyed watching the show and think it's good, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best Gundam shows the way other people do.

Next up is the last full length Gundam show I haven't seen, Turn A. From what I've heard, it's slow, but with a purpose, and is overall good. I do know that it ain't your typical Gundam series, so I'm looking foward to starting it in a few minutes. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
LightningCount

reeoyuy wrote:
LightningCount wrote: Macross Plus^^
A pseudo-sequel to SDF Macross. It stands alone as a classic, or it serves as a worthy alternate history successor to SDF Macross.
Wait, pseudo-sequel? I believe that Macross Plus is continuing the same timeline with SDF Macross and every other Macross (except Macross II). With the fact that VF-19 and VF-22 in Macross 7 are developed from Plus' YF-19 and YF-21. And also
Spoiler
I heard that Isamu and his 19 appeared as cameo on 2nd Macross Frontier movie
Macross II will fit the description of "pseudo-sequel" more, as it not fit within other series timeline. Also, it's the only title where Shoji Kawamori was not involved in production at all. Now that's what I'd call alternate history.
Well, I've heard in the past that Macross Plus was once considered a sequel to "Do You Remember Love," which was an alternate telling of SDF Macross. But that may not be the case. You give good evidence against that. Regardless, it's an spectacular anime taken on its own, or in context.
Mu La Flaga wrote:@Lightning Count: On Geass, you should always remeber, don't take Tetra Val's opinions at face value much, we know how opinionated he can be around here, I would say go through with the whole thing and form your own opinion on Code Geass.

And this ia question for both of you.
If you want I can type up my list of series and brief thoughts on them, so you can both get som ideas from them if your curious?
All right. And sure, I'll take a look at that list. But don't feel obligated. I went a bit overboard, I admit. (As I was doing it, I wondered, with fandom changing, have a number of my favorites never been heard of/or have been forgotten? It doesn't matter really, but it was just a curious thought I had...).
mcred23 wrote:Well, I just finished Gundam X, and I'm somewhat mixed on it. The show was pretty good overall, I don't think it had many poor moments, but I don't think it had many great ones either. It just never quite grabbed me in the way the shows I really liked do...I don't really know, they simply didn't pull me in and keep me wanting more for whatever demented reason I can't put my finger on :|.
I sort of know what you mean. I evidently liked it more than you, and do consider it one of the best, but it did leave me wanting a little more. I came in with a lot of self-made hype, and it reached about 85-92% of my expectations. I think if it had had its 10 cut episodes, likely dealing more with the off-camera Vulture resistance and the SRA/New Federation conflict in North America and space, it could have been stronger, and I would have ranked it even higher with more confidence. (After all, that would have provided more punch/payoff to the post-war build-up that starts the series).

As it is, though, I find a lot to like about it. There was hardly a dull/flat character in it for me, which is a quality of my favorite Gundam series. Even minor, one-off characters were treated with top care. The Frosts are charming as heck as villains. I would have liked a little more dynamic fight choreography from time to time (some of the early battles and the Frost Bros' Card Player battles were the best examples of what should have been a more common occurrence). The pacing seemed to stutter for a bit after episode 15...but I think the first 15, the Estard Arc, and the last quarter of the series showed off its strengths as something that established its own legit, compelling style separate from other Gundam series. I really liked that, like Wing and G, it allowed the characters to have episodes of their own, and to develop both separately and together, thus covering more of the world at the same time. (As an aside: While comparisons have been made between Wing and 00, I feel that X carried more of the ragtag global spirit central to Wing than 00. The visual/design aesthetic between X and Wing was eerily reminiscent, as well, despite being ultimately distinct. As a fan of all that, that helped it for me). I'm just responding, not trying to change anyone's mind.

But I don't know, at the end of the day, counting all movies, OVAs, and TV series, I personally put X at about #5 or #6 for my favorite Gundam production.

PS: Nice Eddie V profile. I hope the new album in the works rocks!
DuelGundam2099

Also, since I am considering taking a break from mecha series, anyone know of any other good anime series that are just "out there"?
The classic Devilman series. There is also the OVAs, but they aren't as good. Either Guyver series are good if you like high octane action, just don't expect good endings; if you want to see the one shot OVA that started it go ahead. Blue Submarine No. 6 is another one. One of the best non-mecha series out there is Neo Ranga, it's got plenty o' good old fashion monster fighting and there's actually some intelligence behind it. There is Iria: Zeiram The Animation, but it really depends if you like killer alien cyborgs or not. And finally there is another Go Nagai classic called Demon Lord Dante, save for the music and rather weird ending it's definitely worth noting and watching. I'd say Blue Gender, but the main site calls it mecha, so sadly I can't.

When you return from mecha hiatus I'd recommend the ultra-funny and actiony Tomino series Combat Mecha Xabungle, although good luck actually trying to find it; the anime is so obscure that Youku doesn't have it and when Youku of all places doesn't have what you're looking for you know you're boned. It also doesn't help that copyright nazis at YouTube and Veoh have prevented any eps from going up (a friend of mine actually tried, his account didn't even last 72 hours). I myself got to episode 38 before the CRNs came in.
Gundamfan

Soma Taozi wrote:Also, since I am considering taking a break from mecha series, anyone know of any other good anime series that are just "out there"?
Since LightningCount took most of the series I was going to say I will just add some extra ones in there.

1)Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo- This is basically the Count of Monte Cristo story except with a bit of sci-fi in it. It is really good, IMO.

2) Baccano!- I don't know if you will like this or not because there is a lot of blood and stuff, but any way let me tell you what it is about. It basically tells the story of about 12 different main characters between three different years and how all the characters and different stories make sense in the end. It is really confusing, but it starts to piece together in every episode sort of like a puzzle. (Wow, sorry if this is confusing, I just don't know how to explain it)

3) Darker Than Black- Ok so this gate appears and certain people start getting these new supernatural powers and are called Contractors. They are assassins and the main character is Hei, who is also a contractor, but is working for a group who takes down other contractors. I think it is a good series.

4)Kimagure Orange Road- This is an old classic romance anime series based on the manga by Izumi Matsumoto. It might be hard to find, but if you can it is a good series. It is basically a love comedy about a Kyosuke Kasuga and Madoka Ayukawa and the things that happen while he tries to tell her he likes her.

5)Tsubasa:Reservoir Chronicles- Since you've seen xxxHolic, I'm going to guess that you will like Tsubasa as well. I personally prefer the manga over the anime, but I don't know that is just my opinion. The anime is good even though the second season strays away from the manga storyline and has mostly filler in it.
LightningCount

-Oh, I thought of one I forgot. I've only seen two episodes, but it's something I want to see more of, and I think it's pretty unique in its own right. And that would be: "Kino's Journey." It's about a young girl with a sentient motorbike who travels a rustic world full of strange problems that she helps to solve alongside her own ambiguous journey.

-DuelGundam2099's recommendation of Iria: Zeiram The Animation is also something I really want to see as it looks very cool.

-Gundam Fan's recommendation of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo is also a good bet. I've only seen one episode, but its uniqueness and strength of storytelling showed tons of promise.

And everybody, FAFNER has just received a green-lit sequel beyond the recent new movie. Talk about surprising (why the sudden revival?!) Now I really do have to catch up. SOURCE: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -green-lit
Arbiter GUNDAM

Does Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged count? :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

Out of a mixture of sheer, mind-numbing boredom and mild curiosity, I decided to check out Sacred Seven, which is streaming on crunchyroll(only the first ep for now).
It's...kinda interesting. Has its awesome moments, as well.
I'll definitely keep going with this one for now.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

LightningCount wrote: And everybody, FAFNER has just received a green-lit sequel beyond the recent new movie. Talk about surprising (why the sudden revival?!) Now I really do have to catch up. SOURCE: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -green-lit
That is just plain awesome.
Fafner was a good series.