Dancouga – Super Beast Machine God

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeino

Dancouga – Super Beast Machine God

Anyone else here every seen this series and its OVA sequals? I think it's great and kind of wish it got more attention. What I find makes Dancouga unique is that it's super robot series that is treated like a real robot one. Plus the villains of the stroy, the Muge Zorbados Empire are one the few super robot series villain groups who legitimately feel creepy and menacing.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Dancouga – Super Beast Machine God

I rather enjoyed Dancougar, but by God is it pants on head retarded. The first part of it, at least. I still remember some kid strapping a nuclear warhead to a go-kart, and that time when Ryo and Masato snuck into that village dressed as mexican pirates...

It approached a lot of tropes differently though, like not forming their robot until episode 16 (if only they read the manual!) and once Dancouga was used with more consistancy, the show did pick up and it had some awesome moments. The OVAs (Requiem and God Bless) were great, while Blazing Epilouge was weird...

Dancouga Nova was tons of fun too.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mattokaiser

I have only seen Nova, though I have always had an interest in the original. However I don't really know what I'm getting into. The show starts out with a realistic approach and then once the dancouga appears more super elements get fed into the series. My main question is, does this change seem weird while watching or is it something that veiwer is eased into? Also is this show more on the serious side or is it more light hearted?
Protecting the Earth Sphere from the Zeon since 0079.
Destiny_Gundam

Mattokaiser wrote:I have only seen Nova, though I have always had an interest in the original. However I don't really know what I'm getting into. The show starts out with a realistic approach and then once the dancouga appears more super elements get fed into the series. My main question is, does this change seem weird while watching or is it something that veiwer is eased into? Also is this show more on the serious side or is it more light hearted?
I guess I'd say you're eased into it. At first they just use their mechs as a plane/tanks. Then they discover the machines can turn into animals, then they discover they turn into humanoid robots and then they discover they can all combine together. I find it amusing because when Shinobu first gets recruited, he's handed a thick manual for his machine. He tries to read it, but eventually gives up on it. Later while testing his machine, the general and scientist wonder if he read the manual. They guess he didn't, because if he had he'd probably be trying out a certain system.

Even when they use the Dancougar all the time, it's still rather realisitic. Dancougar doesn't do that many fantastically improblable things and mostly uses its fists, a sword, and a big gun.

The tone shifts often. The entire situation is pretty dire, as the military has been entirely wiped out by the aliens, leaving only a few groups of resistance. The invaders are very much victorious. Yet, like I said before, it's inherently goofy. Shinobu and the gang are pretty silly but they can get the job done when they need to. There's some really dark moments, but then there's really funny moments and a few facepalm worthy moments.
DuelGundam2099

So would that make Dancouga a hybrid robot series like Big O, Escaflowne, Dunbine, and King Gainer?

And to answer this topic I've only seen Nova, nice series but the music was rather bleh.
Destiny_Gundam

I think I'd describe it as a super robot in a real robot show.
Bonesy!

I'm planning on watching this when I knock a few shows off my backlog. I'm really excited, too.
Mattokaiser

Another Dancouga question. What is the correct veiwing for the Dancouga Series and OVAs? I noticed while looking at the Japanese Dvd collection scans that God bless Dancouga is put in the middle of the collection.
Destiny_Gundam

TV series => Requiem for the Victims => God Bless Dancouga => Blazing Epilouge => Dancouga Nova (maybe)
Mattokaiser

Cheers Destiny Gundam. I can't wait to start watching this series.

I've already seen Nova and really liked it. Though I can't really place how it fits in with the original.
Spoiler
The only scene that really links it to the original Dancouga is when FS mentions that there were Warriors who had the battle cry of "yatte yaruze"
nacho-wan

Forget Nova, that much like a third part of Gravion than Dancouga installment.

I loved this show. Is a classical super powerful robot in a real robot setting. Seriously Dancouga is so mighty it only waves its hand to destroy small fry enemies.

The series has its goofy moments, as expected of anime in the 80s but it also has serious sequences and a lot of shear awsomess -mostly when Dancouga is formed.

One of its strong points are its villians, which are fleshed in their fight -although the big boss is quite creepy.

It is a worthy show to see. The last great classic Super Robot.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller