Aura Battler Dunbine

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Darkerangel

Aura Battler Dunbine

Post by Darkerangel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:37 am

Don't hear too much talk about the show, especially from "outer" anime fans. But what are you all thoughts about the show.

I personally enjoyed it and I admit the beginning was a bit...blah for me, but as the episodes kept coming, suddenly the show became like crack and I kept wanting to continue to watch more. And it might not be odd or out of the norm for you guys, but it was odd for me to be attach to these characters and the show just gave this unexpected excitement of you didn't know what was going to happen to them.

Anyways, what's your thoughts, comments, ideas of the piece?
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.

DuelGundam2099

Re: Aura Battler Dunbine

Post by DuelGundam2099 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 pm

It's a fantastic and under rated series, and yes the opening few episodes (and the themes) were kind of bleh, but otherwise enjoyable. It could have ended a little better though, some things didn't have a good conclusion to them, but it's Tomino so what would you expect?

Saikuba

Re: Aura Battler Dunbine

Post by Saikuba » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:35 pm

What I like about Dunbine is how well it handles the theme of escalation. The opening skirmishes have pretty low stakes, and then somehow you get halfway through it and we're fighting for the future of the entire world. The impressive thing is that the transition actually worked.

It's also one of the weaknesses, because it escalates a little too fast, so that we get into the mega battlecarrier vs. mega battlecarrier battles early enough that they become kind of status quo by the end of the series. It also makes the battles for Earth at the end less impressive, since it's not much more of a bigger deal than fighting for Byston Well. Dunbine is probably also one of the only series where nuclear weapons eventually become more of annoyance than anything.

But yeah, over all definitely one of my favorite anime. I wish that whoever owns the rights to it now would release a box set so that I could get the last 8 episodes without shelling out hundreds of dollars.