The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TetraVaal

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk III

That's been posted a couple of times already on the last page, man.
Kratos

Spoiler
So this episode actually uses stock footage. So much for setting the bar animation-wise...this is actually pretty disappointing. Doesn't ruin the episode, by any means, but considering the budget and production time it's definitely something that shouldn't be there.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
balofo

no PV for OVA 4 for a while, like OVA 2. the director said there were delays in the production because of the complex animation in earth, shadows for example. also he said the 6 ovas'll only cover until novel 8, 2ch thinks this means the big announcement is a movie to end the series. also when asked how to fit the next novel in 1 hour ova he said it could be possible to extend the ovas running time
REMecha00Q

That's a shame, I do hope that all the UC novels are adapted into anime, I really want to see the whole story :( .
TetraVaal

Kratos wrote:
Spoiler
So this episode actually uses stock footage. So much for setting the bar animation-wise...this is actually pretty disappointing. Doesn't ruin the episode, by any means, but considering the budget and production time it's definitely something that shouldn't be there.
lol... using stock footage doesn't mean that the other bits of high quality animation are entirely dismissed. I'll wait to see the episode for myself before I make such a claim as yours.

Oh, and what scene(s) uses stock footage?
no PV for OVA 4 for a while, like OVA 2. the director said there were delays in the production because of the complex animation in earth, shadows for example. also he said the 6 ovas'll only cover until novel 8, 2ch thinks this means the big announcement is a movie to end the series. also when asked how to fit the next novel in 1 hour ova he said it could be possible to extend the ovas running time
This is awesome news, actually... glad to see they're taking times to perfect everything before delivering a trailer. Also, a Unicorn movie would be ace... just hoping that it won't delay the appearance of the Banshee.
Last edited by TetraVaal on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jroy1117

I am downloading the episode off Zume as we speak. Cant wait to watch. :)
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Amadi Akintunde

Kratos wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I agree. But eh, the stock footage is rather negligible, seeing how there's only about three or four instances of it, and it's only against Kshatriya. This episode was so chock full of battles that I'm guessing they ran out of ideas. But still, that didn't stop them all from being friggin awesome.

Also, is it me or were there instances of new musical tracks in this episode?

When Unicorn took control of Kshatriya's funnels.

When Zinnerman was giving an address(?) to him men.

And when Banagher rampaged after Daguza's beam sabering.

Does this hint a new soundtrack coming soon?
TetraVaal

Spoiler
I agree. But eh, the stock footage is rather negligible, seeing how there's only about three or four instances of it, and it's only against Kshatriya.
Wow, Kratos made it sound a lot worse than what you explained. :roll:
Kratos

TetraVaal wrote:Oh, and what scene(s) uses stock footage?
Spoiler
Banagher's initial fight with Marida is used in a sped-up manner, and the bit from the beginning of episode 2 where the Unicorn draws its saber and flies forward in Destroy Mode is reused as well
It's not a lot, but I stand by that any amount is uncalled for based on the budget and production time.
TetraVaal

Kratos wrote:
TetraVaal wrote:Oh, and what scene(s) uses stock footage?
Spoiler
Banagher's initial fight with Marida is used in a sped-up manner, and the bit from the beginning of episode 2 where the Unicorn draws it's saber and flies forward in Destroy Mode is reused as well
It's not a lot, but I stand by that any amount is uncalled for based on the budget and production time.
I agree that stock footage is not needed, and like you said, considering its budget... but little bits like that don't bother me, especially if its mainly the Unicorn charging the Kshatriya.
Amadi Akintunde

Spoiler
In the defense of the animation team, the Unicorn was doing a hell of a lot of damage against the Kshatriya at the time, and they probably couldn't think of anything new to animate. The fight was incredibly fast paced, anyway.
shishio74

Trying to not click the spoilers is tougher than I though. Kinda sucks that PSN doesn't have this up in the store yet. Wonder what the delay is, Sony. :?:

Either way, really looking forward to this. Really enjoyed both episodes so far.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Kratos wrote:
Ferrus_Manus wrote:Man, I want to see this so bad....

By the way, is Daguza still alive?
Spoiler
One of the screens makes it look like he may die facing the Sinanju.
But I wouldn't know for sure, because PSN doesn't have the episode up yet. Apparently XBL and Zune do, though...but it's hard to tell, because that info comes from a...less than academic source.
I thought the episode 3 preview alone made it pretty dang clear that
Spoiler
he dies. ^^b

Manly adult-to-child-main-character speech: check.

Facing off against big-main-boss mech with hand-carried weapon: check. (it may have worked against Marida, but this is Full Frontal)

Death-echo-voice crying out main character's name: check.

Main mecha going berserk after death-echo-voice: check.

Four death flags right there.
As for stock footage, it certainly is very disappointing considering that Unicorn is a 6-episode OVA, one hour each episode, and only comes out every 6 months, but at the very least it's not GSD level. If we see the Unicorn suddenly transforming between normal and Destroy modes between beam saber slashes though, there's going to be blood. :P
Last edited by Shinji103 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REMecha00Q

So, I'm guessing since the ova will only reach novel 8, that means the last 3 UC ovas will only cover 1 novel each then.
flamingtroll

REMecha00Q wrote:So, I'm guessing since the ova will only reach novel 8, that means the last 3 UC ovas will only cover 1 novel each then.
Where did you hear that? I am sure there will be some change, but they can't possibly end the story at novel 8. I think this is most likely how it will go

ep4 : "In the Depths of a Gravity Well". which divides nicely into Dakar and Torrington
ep5 : "The Black Unicorn" + "The Sky and the Stars" (which should really be Universe and Planet for an accurate Kanji translation)
ep6: "Over the Rainbow", possibly combined with some of "The Sky and the Star" to eliminate that chapter entirely
Shinji103 wrote: As for stock footage, it certainly is very disappointing considering that Unicorn is a 6-episode OVA, one hour each episode, and only comes out every 6 months, but at the very least it's not GSD level. If we see the Unicorn suddenly transforming between normal and Destroy modes between beam saber slashes though, there's going to be blood. :P
It is quite glaring, especially when we are not talking about random grunt explosion but key intense fighting scenes of the main MSs. With the exception of the mauling of Kshatriya, almost every other scene reuses their first fight and some of the 1st episode Kshatriya scenes. This is definitely sloppy, especially when they have already set a bar to be compared with. The ending theme song is just not that great - a bit too much like a Seed or Seed Destiny song, which only further reminds me of the sloppy fight scene.
Calubin_175

Could there by any chance that the Blu-ray version might fix that up? But Blu-ray adjustments have only been known to fix minor changes.
Den Sethos

Just finished the Raw. The reuse of some sequences is, IMO, not that jarring: they changed a detail when the Unicorn charges at the Kshatriya (tossing its shield aside) and the other sequences simply flow naturally.
As for the rest of the episode:
Spoiler
my Japanese is at best sketchy, so I did not get much in the way of dialogues, except their overall themes.
Full Frontal really comes off as a manipulative bastard when he explains Marida is just a way to draw out the strength of the Unicorn. So much for being a decent man...
There seems to be a bit about Artificial Newtypes, when Banagher and Marida are in the infirmary, as well as an explanation by Daguza about the relationship between Newtypes and the Box a bit later. He also explains a bit about the nature of war (when Banagher complain about Micott's and his friend's place as hostages).
In the end, I think he simply tells Banagher to follow his heart. A bit sugary, but good lesson nonetheless, as justice is not something that can be objectively and abstractly defined.
I don't quite know what to make of Riddhe and Minerva's little promenade..
Good episode in terms of plot advancement and character development. Some good eye candy in between, with a slight reservation on the use of stock footage.
REMecha00Q

flamingtroll wrote:
REMecha00Q wrote:So, I'm guessing since the ova will only reach novel 8, that means the last 3 UC ovas will only cover 1 novel each then.
Where did you hear that? I am sure there will be some change, but they can't possibly end the story at novel 8. I think this is most likely how it will go

ep4 : "In the Depths of a Gravity Well". which divides nicely into Dakar and Torrington
ep5 : "The Black Unicorn" + "The Sky and the Stars" (which should really be Universe and Planet for an accurate Kanji translation)
ep6: "Over the Rainbow", possibly combined with some of "The Sky and the Star" to eliminate that chapter entirely
Ok I'll take that into account, I just assumed the the 8 novel thing was true.
Sulendil Zeta

flamingtroll wrote: Where did you hear that? I am sure there will be some change, but they can't possibly end the story at novel 8. I think this is most likely how it will go

balofo just post it in the same thread at the previous page. Here's the quote:
balofo wrote:no PV for OVA 4 for a while, like OVA 2. the director said there were delays in the production because of the complex animation in earth, shadows for example. also he said the 6 ovas'll only cover until novel 8, 2ch thinks this means the big announcement is a movie to end the series. also when asked how to fit the next novel in 1 hour ova he said it could be possible to extend the ovas running time
Kratos

What's the source of that quote, anyways? Speculation is running rampant around it, and we don't even know where it originated.