is there any violent/gory, and gritty mecha anime?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TetraVaal

is there any violent/gory, and gritty mecha anime?

first, sorry for another thread, but it should be the last one I make for a while...

the thing is, I've been watching a lot of stuff like Code Geass, Gundam 00, Xam'd, and Star Driver lately, and while those shows are entertaining, I'd really like to find a mecha anime (or several, if possible) that are really violent, dark, and raw.

I gave Burst Angel a shot, and while it had its moments, the show just sucked.

how is stuff like Megazone 23? Is Gundam Zeta violent and gritty at all?

I thought Blue Gender was really solid, would definitely love to watch something in the similiar vein.
Sume Gai

Re: are there any violent/gory, and gritty mecha anime?

I must recommend Getter Robo Armageddon. You want violent and dark you freaking got it with the squickiness of the invaders. To a lesser extend New Getter Robo can get brutal from time to time not as much as Armageddon, but in exchange it has a far superior dub.

On the Gundam end while Zeta pulls off some very nasty moments and is definitely dark, It's not as outwardly bloody and violent as say Blue Gender. V Gundam may be a bit closer to what you want though.

Another good one is Ideon, especially the stellar second movie or Aura Battler Dunbine. Though both of those require some patience.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
TetraVaal

Re: is there any violent/gory, and gritty mecha anime?

thanks for the recomendations... patience is of no problem for me, I just want a nice contrast from the more "clean" shows I've been watching.

is Turn A Gundam violent at all? I'm really interested in watching that based off the mech designs alone.
Destiny_Gundam

Turn A Gundam has the fewest number of deaths of any Gundam series (I think).

Anyways, Megazone 23 would be a good choice for you. Some other options you might want to consider are:

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Hades Project Zeorymer
Baldr Force EXE
Guyver (not actually a mecha show)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Sume Gai

Turn A is a great show as many here will tell you... but It's not what you might want as far as dark, violent and gritty. There a are few moments that are nasty but most of it is... not really happy... but more... relaxed.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

TetraVaal

alright, I'll keep Turn A on the backburner til' I'm ready for something less gritty.

thanks again for the recomendations and keep em' coming if you think of anything else. I will certainly give a look to all of these shows.

I don't know why, but I'd just really like to find a mecha anime that doesn't have pretty colors, but is more refined, ugly, and raw. I really hope at least one of two of these shows can provide that.
iKhaotic

you've probably seen it already, but Evangelion is pretty violent/gory in a way...

although it's not technically mecha lol
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
krullnar

Truly the most gory mecha anime out there would be Fafnir but thats just me.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Sume Gai

krullnar wrote:Truly the most gory mecha anime out there would be Fafnir but thats just me.
Fafnir is oftentimes dark and very good but not gory, at least not from what I recall.

Red Comet90

MD Geist counts as a violent/gory mecha (ish) anime.... :mrgreen:

Now you should watch it even though its horrible because honestly its so bad you'll always look back at it and burst with laughter. Its just that awful. Ask anyone who's seen it and they'll hate on it so much.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
TetraVaal

are any of the Macross shows violent? I'm a huge Robotech fan and I've only watched Super Dimension Macross, Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier, but I have had interest in the other Macross shows.
Dark Duel

Sume Gai wrote:
krullnar wrote:Truly the most gory mecha anime out there would be Fafnir but thats just me.
Fafnir is oftentimes dark and very good but not gory, at least not from what I recall.
I would have to agree. Gory is NOT an adjective I would use to describe that show, as while there's a fair amount of death, there's very little that's graphically bloody.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
TakaTahuNuva

TetraVaal wrote:are any of the Macross shows violent? I'm a huge Robotech fan and I've only watched Super Dimension Macross, Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier, but I have had interest in the other Macross shows.
Nope, but you should watch Macross Plus because it's the best Macross story of them all (and the darkest).

Eureka 7 has lots of gore, and excellent story and animation (if you liked Xam'd, you'd love the heck out of E7).

If it doesn't have to be mecha show, there's a great list of general gore anime shows here... I'm particularly fond of Genocyber, myself.
ohhhh snap
DuelGundam2099

Eureka 7 has lots of gore, and excellent story and animation
Heh

Anyway, RahXephon, because every dollem dies a horrible bloody death. And while not technically "mecha", Blue Gender would be a good choice too.

Fafnir in The Azure gory? The heck am I reading here? Also, Dunbine, while it has violent moments, isn't exactly "gory" as a whole. The OVA on the other hand? Friggin' brutal.
iKhaotic

If it doesn't have to be mecha, then try Elfen Lied. 13 episodes of brutal/gory fights, complete with plenty of blood splattering and body dismemberment...
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Toxicity

TakaTahuNuva wrote:Eureka 7 has lots of gore, and excellent story and animation (if you liked Xam'd, you'd love the heck out of E7).
I kinda disagree with this. E7 does not use gore very often throughout the show, but when it is used, it is used to great effect, such as with Charles and Ray, or when Renton beats the Mon-Soono into pulp.
TakaTahuNuva

Toxicity wrote:
TakaTahuNuva wrote:Eureka 7 has lots of gore, and excellent story and animation (if you liked Xam'd, you'd love the heck out of E7).
I kinda disagree with this. E7 does not use gore very often throughout the show, but when it is used, it is used to great effect, such as with Charles and Ray, or when Renton beats the Mon-Soono into pulp.
Those are the scenes I had in mind. And how about when the Nirvash stepped on that guy's arm like it was a piece of gum? You can't say that wasn't gore.
ohhhh snap
Antares

E7 is not, again, a gory show. It has a few moments of violence, but all in all it's pretty happy-go-lucky as far as the shows I've seen go. Blue Gender is a fairly good bet, bloodier than some and is rather good.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Toxicity

TakaTahuNuva wrote:And how about when the Nirvash stepped on that guy's arm like it was a piece of gum? You can't say that wasn't gore.
That is exactly the scene I was referring to when I mentioned renton beating the mon-soono into pulp.
TetraVaal

Re: are there any violent/gory, and gritty mecha anime?

Sume Gai wrote:V Gundam may be a bit closer to what you want though.
in terms of body count, or is it actually bloody and gritty?

thanks for the recomendations, everyone.

so far, Baldr Force EXE and V Gundam have caught my interest from the previews I've seen. I can't wait to check those two out.