Why does super dimension macross

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NastyNate

Why does super dimension macross

Have such horrible dubbing. The robotech dub for the macross saga fits the characters so much better. Why could they not use those. I would rather read subs than hear that horrible minmay they have with the weird asian accent. She sounds to tender to be a bratty girl like she is supposed to be. I would just watch the robotech dubb but I am not interested in the robotech part just the macross. You know how they change it up and all.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

Re: Why does super dimension macross

You do know for one thing.
The actress portraying Minmay is the same from the Japanese SDF Macross right?

As for the rest of the cast and all, I have not heard it myself.
DuelGundam2099

Strange, I liked the dubbed voices more than the originals.....

Maybe because Hikaru is a terrible Edward Elric? (it should be noted I made that joke because they're both voiced by the same guy)
J-Lead

I actually liked Vic as Hikaru, but then again, people generally complain about Vic Mignogna while I find him to be a likeable VA.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
AmuroNT1

Frankly, I don't get the accusations that Vic is some kind of self-centered jerk. For the last five years, my girlfriend and I have been running into him at various anime cons, and he's never been anything but cheerful and friendly. Kind of hard to jive with the fact that another VA (who shall remain nameless) apparently once said the only difference between him and a bucket of **** is the bucket...
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

I've never heard anything bad of the guy either.
I know one voice actor who can vouch for him.
yazi88

Hey c'mon, Vic was the voice of Junpei in Persona 3, can't hold that against him. That was one of his best roles.
Darkerangel

=P I can FINALLY say something about SDF.

It was fine for me. I admit I could not stand Minmay's voice, but after like a 3rd into show, it bothered me less and less.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
NastyNate

Darkerangel wrote:=P I can FINALLY say something about SDF.

It was fine for me. I admit I could not stand Minmay's voice, but after like a 3rd into show, it bothered me less and less.

I think that is probably the main thing with me. But after an above poster said that she is actually the japanese voice actor I think I can hear it some how. And I hope that I can get the hang of the accent. I don't know why buy the robotech voice did it better for me. I pictured minmay as having like a winnie bratty voice. And the macross dub to me sounds like a temid chinese girl. But like you said it just has to grow on you.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

1-4-4

I've been meaning to give the Macross dub a chance, see how it turned out... But to some extent I just can't be bothered. The old Animeigo subs-only DVD set was worth every penny. :)

Without going into the whole Robotech issue: one thing I will say about the old Robotech dub is that I can't listen to Cam Clarke in anything any more. Maybe I just saw too much of the old Ninja Turtles cartoon as a kid, but it's like I've heard what he does with his voice and I don't want to hear more of it. :)
Taekmkm

Vic is just...yelling all his lines, to an annoying effect. If this isn't one of his earlier anime jobs, then it's certainly still early in his career. That or bad direction, which is the bigger percentage blame.

There's also a slight (personal) problem when you use Japanese terminology in an otherwise universal setting. It's appropriate when it's clearly Japanese (ouran high school, R. Kenshin, etc), but when you have Macross's settings where all races and culture are involved, just stick to "Big bro" or it's breaks the immersion.

Second, the chinese accent on Minmay was just terrible execution. It's a clever gimmick but otherwise useless in the long run.

I also have the preference that Tony Oliver is just the superior Hikaru in every way. Even the Japanese who sounds a bit...thick and old for the character in comparison.

So summary, Robotech had the better voices and flow, while Macross was the technically better translation.

Of course, they both suck now because rights issues removed the real sound effects =/ (at least the ones on Hulu)
DeltasTaii

Taekmkm wrote:Second, the chinese accent on Minmay was just terrible execution. It's a clever gimmick but otherwise useless in the long run.
Natural Japanese accents are gimmick Chinese accents?

Robotech intentionally made Minmay more bratty and annoying for some reason. She's just like...girly in Macross.
NastyNate

DeltasTaii wrote: Robotech intentionally made Minmay more bratty and annoying for some reason. She's just like...girly in Macross.

and macross dub made misa more bratty. I have been watching it and the misa they use has this high pitched yell that she is always doing. And is it really true that the voice of the macross dub is the actual japanese voice actress?

azrael

NastyNate wrote: and macross dub made misa more bratty. I have been watching it and the misa they use has this high pitched yell that she is always doing. And is it really true that the voice of the macross dub is the actual japanese voice actress?
[/quote]
Yes. Mari Ijima is the actual VA for Minmay in the original Japanese-language Macross as well as the ADV dub that is on Hulu.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
1-4-4

Taekmkm wrote:There's also a slight (personal) problem when you use Japanese terminology in an otherwise universal setting. It's appropriate when it's clearly Japanese (ouran high school, R. Kenshin, etc), but when you have Macross's settings where all races and culture are involved, just stick to "Big bro" or it's breaks the immersion.
Well, you have a Japanese character in that setting, it's not unreasonable that he might use some Japanese terminology. "Sempai" is something that just doesn't translate well. Translating it as "big bro" is probably about the best you can do in terms of substituting that sounds even close to natural in English - and it's still not that good IMO. I think there are advantages to sticking to the Japanese term, but both approaches have their problems for sure.
I also have the preference that Tony Oliver is just the superior Hikaru in every way. Even the Japanese who sounds a bit...thick and old for the character in comparison.
Based on what little I've seen of the dubs, I think Tony Oliver probably was better than Vic Mignogna. But overall it's hard to pick Robotech's dub over anything just because they jammed so much extraneous dialogue in there.

For reference:
Clip from Robotech ep 11
Clip from Macross (dub) ep 11

I guess Mari's accent is a bit distracting but I think she did a good job returning to the part.

(It looks like the in-betweeners were taking the week off when they made that episode...)
Dark Duel

I may be a little biased, but I actually prefer the later Macross dub to the old Robotech, from what little I've seen of both.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

I actually kind of prefer Robotech voices more, BUT I would be curious to hear the whole Macross series dub ADV version.
Taekmkm

Based on what little I've seen of the dubs, I think Tony Oliver probably was better than Vic Mignogna. But overall it's hard to pick Robotech's dub over anything just because they jammed so much extraneous dialogue in there.
Like I said:
So summary, Robotech had the better voices and flow, while Macross was the technically better translation.
If there was ever a DYRL Dub, I would pick the robotech cast 100% of the time. Even better that Tony Oliver would be the director considering his position nowadays.
1-4-4

Taekmkm wrote:
Like I said:
I know what you said. I was saying that, at least in the case of Hikaru's case, I think you may be right.
If there was ever a DYRL Dub
Well, there was a DYRL dub, of course... But saying "There was a DYRL dub" is kind of like saying "There was a Gundam movie dub", if you get my meaning...
Taekmkm

The Gundam trilogy dub was semi-competent, and a masterpiece compared to whatever that DYRL dub was.

There WAS a fully fandubbed DYRL, with a couple professional voices in it (Like Cristina Vee), but it got taken down from youtube unfortunately a long time ago.

This is the english Minmay singing Do You Remember Love?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec1r2wg1Tg