Star Driver

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zechs Merquise

Re: Star Driver

I quite like the series, when ever Fish girl sings her song, that's my favorite part, because a awesome enemy design follows.

Tauburn I didn't like at first, but it has grown on me, too bad about the Nurse being beaten so easily, she had the most awesome design of the Glittering Crux Cybodies so far.

It's just a fun series you don't take serious like Gurren Lagann, though this is already better.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
nacho-wan

The thing wit Star Driver is that is not a show about mechas, but a show that features mechas in a school romance setting. Please refer to the World of StarDriver pamphlet for the creators explanation of what they are trying to achieve.

So far I have liked to show for its lightheartness. I really like episode 6 with Tasuke doing a hitssatsu attack with the mecha -I didn't think it could be pulled out- I think that episode 7 begins the start of the real drama -so far it was exposition for the parties involved
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Zechs Merquise

Hoping Takuto loses against Sugata, he needs to be humbled a bit.

At this point he is feeling much too powerful, barely struggling if at all in his victories.
TetraVaal

agreed with the user above.

there is ZERO suspense in this show, none.

the mech battles are getting less and less interesting, but I'm going to hold out to see if these will ever cross over into reality.
Strike Zero

Star Driver is a monster-of-the-week show in the purest sense. People who can't enjoy the same Apprivoise sequence every week are going to find the show progressively less watchable as time goes on.

Lucky for me, I happen to enjoy a good monster-of-the-week show when it's exciting and done right, so I ain't got no problems here. =D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mattokaiser

Though it is a monster of the week series, I have a feeling that this show is building up to something big.

I really enjoy how the show manages to blend seemlessly between comedy and drama. On the whole this show is mostly light hearted but when it wants to it hits you hard with some very great character driven drama.

Last but not least i do really like the unique mecha design. Coupled with bone's attention to detail with animation, the fights so far in the series have been extremely compelling and well worth watching. It's just a shame that until they get into the third phase, there won't be a fight that truly pushes that Tauburn to its limits.
Protecting the Earth Sphere from the Zeon since 0079.
Zechs Merquise

Strike Zero wrote:Star Driver is a monster-of-the-week show in the purest sense. People who can't enjoy the same Apprivoise sequence every week are going to find the show progressively less watchable as time goes on.

Lucky for me, I happen to enjoy a good monster-of-the-week show when it's exciting and done right, so I ain't got no problems here. =D
I very much like monster-of-the-week series, but Star Driver does it all wrong.
Strike Zero

Zechs Merquise wrote:I very much like monster-of-the-week series, but Star Driver does it all wrong.
Define "all wrong." I am curious as to what it is that makes the show so unappealling for you, and what the supposed "right" way to do a monster-of-the-week mech anime is.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mattokaiser

After watching Ep 10 I realised just how effective the placement of the episode title was in that ep. Up until when it showed up, I didn't even notice that it had not appeared in the episode. Kept watching and then just before the credits the title appears and the timing for it couldn't have been any more perfect.

That sort of "randomization" to each episode of star driver is really unique because no longer is each episode predictable in how it is going to play out with the place of the opening sequence or when the title of the episode is going to appear. I've noticed that the opening appears when there is need for a bit of a cliffhanger to the action otherwise it is usually at the start of the episode. Also the title tends to not appear until after the piece of information it is refering to has already been shown to the audience, so there isn't any chance that the title will end up spoiling the whole episode.

Also in ep 10 we got to hear a new song for when the Cybodies are about to summoned. Does anyone know what the new song is called? Also while I'm at it, does anyone know the name of the song that the fish girl used to sing? I really enjoyed that song. It always sent a chill down my spine when it started up.
quasadra

the fish girl's song is called "Monochrome" by Haruka Tomatsu. i forgot to check the credits for ep10... :oops:
Last edited by quasadra on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Heecarl_Reez

The new song name is "Innocent Blue", and performed by Mizuno You's Voice Actor Hidaka Rina. :)
Mattokaiser

Thank you both so much for that.

Also is there any word on an OST coming out? I'm becoming a huge fan of the music in the show. Some of the more action pieces are giving me a feeling of Nadesico.
TetraVaal

I finished episode 9 last night, but honestly, it's the same episode every week. Now, I know I can stop watching at any time of my choosing, but I always feel obligated to finish something I started, even with a TV show. I'm just at a loss for words how through 9 episodes, there's been nothing remarkable or worthwhile so far, especially in regards to tension between characters and the situations they find themselves in (or lack thereof).
thanatos

Star Driver really is a sign of the times. As long as mecha anime in Japan keeps having a greater female fanbase, shows like this will persist.

It may not be my idea of a solid mecha show, but it's better than no mecha at all.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
nacho-wan

I seriously doubt that Star Driver is a mecha show at all. Cybodies are not exactly traditional mechanical entities. Because of zero time it is almost a videogame with Takuto having a Kinetic vrs the Crux Brigade's Wii.

I really like the carefree attitude of the show; I usually don't see that type of anime so it is refreshing for me as of its comedic values.

I believe the story is going to a turn to the left any time now. I actually thought that the director was going to drop the monster of the week format with the disappearance of the north maiden, but now we have a new maiden! I wonder if she actually knows it?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Chris
Administrator

TetraVaal wrote:I finished episode 9 last night, but honestly, it's the same episode every week. Now, I know I can stop watching at any time of my choosing, but I always feel obligated to finish something I started, even with a TV show. I'm just at a loss for words how through 9 episodes, there's been nothing remarkable or worthwhile so far, especially in regards to tension between characters and the situations they find themselves in (or lack thereof).
So the development of introducing a new maiden and the fact that her sister is in Glittering Star and hiding the fact that she knows about a maiden is the same as ever before? No one is forcing you to watch the show, and just because you feel an obligation to keep watching it doesn't mean you have to keep posting here constantly about how much the show disappoints you and isn't what you want.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TetraVaal

Chris wrote:
TetraVaal wrote:I finished episode 9 last night, but honestly, it's the same episode every week. Now, I know I can stop watching at any time of my choosing, but I always feel obligated to finish something I started, even with a TV show. I'm just at a loss for words how through 9 episodes, there's been nothing remarkable or worthwhile so far, especially in regards to tension between characters and the situations they find themselves in (or lack thereof).
So the development of introducing a new maiden and the fact that her sister is in Glittering Star and hiding the fact that she knows about a maiden is the same as ever before? No one is forcing you to watch the show, and just because you feel an obligation to keep watching it doesn't mean you have to keep posting here constantly about how much the show disappoints you and isn't what you want.
that doesn't strike me as a riveting plot point, no. The fact that it happened out of nowhere with no build-up kind of negates any interest one would have in a cheap swerve like that. Also, with all do respect, why should I not be allowed to state my displeasure when finishing episodes? It's really no different from those praising it... you're basically stating that I shouldn't be allowed to post my unbiased thoughts, meanwhile, you and others can praise the show at any time you please, not exactly the best way to run a forum if you ask me. I'm not trolling the show, I'm not insulting people (or the people that like it for that matter), I'm just giving my honest insight post-every episode I watch.
Chris
Administrator

It's not that you can't post your thoughts, but a question of what the point would be. It's not even constructive criticism, because you've made it clear that you don't like the show and are forcing yourself to watch it out of obligation. It's likely that nothing in the show would ever change your opinion, so why should anyone want to hear the same complaints from you every weekend? How does it contribute to the discussion if each episode there's the same person chiming in about how much they don't like the show?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TetraVaal

Chris wrote:It's not that you can't post your thoughts, but a question of what the point would be. It's not even constructive criticism, because you've made it clear that you don't like the show and are forcing yourself to watch it out of obligation. It's likely that nothing in the show would ever change your opinion, so why should anyone want to hear the same complaints from you every weekend? How does it contribute to the discussion if each episode there's the same person chiming in about how much they don't like the show?
that's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Just because I don't feel the need to type up one paragraph after antoher to deconstruct the show, it doesn't mean I don't provide valid statements. Honestly, with a show as simple in structure as this one, it really doesn't require anything more than short, straightforward statements to sum up one's reasons why they find the show weak. The thing is, I'm a fan of Bones, I'm a fan of mecha, and I'm still a fan of the animation in this show (perhaps that's enough to hold my viewership for now). And while it's certainly a possibility that there may not be anything to change my overall opinion on the show at this point, you never know. My biggest complaints have been a lack of tension and a lack of a threat to Takuto... these are things that could potentially change and reignite my interest, so I'm not ready to call it quits after nine episodes.

I still don't see the problem with me adding my insight after I watch each episode, even if it consist of the same complaints. I shouldn't be faulted for that, the writers should. If you enjoy the show, more power to you, cool. I'm not going to insult or belittle those that do, but I still find the writing of this show to be extremely weak.
ShadowCell

TetraVaal wrote:I still don't see the problem with me adding my insight after I watch each episode, even if it consist of the same complaints. I shouldn't be faulted for that, the writers should.
how dare they force you to keep watching a show you don't like

the bastards