Just Finished V Gundam... Awesome SPOILERS AHEAD

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SolidSlug

Just Finished V Gundam... Awesome SPOILERS AHEAD

Excuse the overly childish AWESOME,

Finally got round to watching all of V Gundam and my god its brilliant. The Character development, fights, animation and adult nature of what essential is a bunch of babies, tweens and teens is superb. I prefer it to Z Gundam (Blasphemy) and it really shows, in my eyes anyway, how poor Seed is and always will be ; )

I hope to start a few threads discussing V Gundam to get everyone interested in V :)
Dealing with battle tactics, Characters, Mecha etc.

Look forward to a healthy chat and debate :

The Solid Slug ( formally Twisted Child of Apsalus)
Last edited by SolidSlug on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formally the Twisted Child of Apsalus

Sometimes the most appropriate response to reality is to go insane

iKhaotic

Re: Just Finished V Gundam... Awesome

it was a great series, but i just couldn't get over how annoyingly naive Shakti was. she would >constantly< think she can do good but ultimately just put her friends in danger. not to mention how she screwed Uso over in the ending -__- then there was baby Karlmann who wouldn't stop crying for one second which nearly drove me insane.

other than that, aside from some weird MS designs, i enjoyed the series. the V2 Gundam will forever be one of my top 3 favorite Gundams. but man, they didn't mess around at all throughout the series when it came to character deaths, i like it though since it made everything a lot more realistic and believable. it shows that no one is invincible in war.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
SolidSlug

I got used to Karlmann's contstant crying as it was worth it in the end
Spoiler
when he stands and starts calling out for shaki it was soo sweet. Then at the end when he's a bit older and walking a talking, it just finished off the series perfectly
Shakt'si naivety was a good example of the naivety of people during war. Along with peoples ignorance of the pointless hatred of others and the real and usually selfish bigoted reasons behind the wars they start.

iKhaotic

yeah, i keep telling myself that Shakti's naiveness is great for her character and fits very well, but i just couldn't stand it at times. at one point, i just concluded that she's a selfish person because she tried to keep Uso from fighting even though it was clear that if he didn't fight, a lot of lives would be lost. Karlmann's crying on the other hand, there's no way in hell i could get use to it :/

btw, if it's possible, can you edit "Spoilers" into the thread title? most of the stuff we may end up discussing will be spoilers anyways and it'll be kinda dumb to have every post with a spoiler tag in it lol.
Darkerangel

iKhaotic wrote:yeah, i keep telling myself that Shakti's naiveness is great for her character and fits very well,
#1: Someone mentioned that Shakti's naiveness was from the fact that she was oh I dunno...a KID! She thought that she could do good and she tried, plus I assumed family had something to do with it too.
iKhaotic wrote: but i just couldn't stand it at times. at one point, i just concluded that she's a selfish person because she tried to keep Uso from fighting even though it was clear that if he didn't fight, a lot of lives would be lost.
#2: Isn't that common in fighting anime? You'll have that one goddamn person who wants peace and oh lets use the non violence method. They can shoot at us, but lets not shoot at them.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
DuelGundam2099

It's my favorite UC Gundam series and my second favortite Gundam series over all after SEED Destiny. *dodges bricks* I find it a real shame that this is never going to get a US release. :(
SolidSlug

It's my favorite UC Gundam series and my second favortite Gundam series over all after SEED Destiny. *dodges bricks* I find it a real shame that this is never going to get a US release.
Solid Slug throws + 10 Brick of Destiny Death at DuelGundam2099 :evil:

On another note when Uso shows the LM the Super Computer his parents built in his basement I really wanted to have a short flash back seen where he was using that MS training simulator using the RX-78 to kill Zaku's :lol:

iKhaotic

Darkerangel wrote: #1: Someone mentioned that Shakti's naiveness was from the fact that she was oh I dunno...a KID! She thought that she could do good and she tried, plus I assumed family had something to do with it too.
Darkerangel wrote: #2: Isn't that common in fighting anime? You'll have that one ZOINKS person who wants peace and oh lets use the non violence method. They can shoot at us, but lets not shoot at them.
she's 11. and as far as i'm concerned, even an 11 year old should know it's futile after oh.....2-3 times they get captured and put their friends' lives in danger? lol. i've come to terms with what she does, but i think it was just a tad bit over done by the end of the series :P

and yeah, it's common, but Shakti just does it differently. those kinds of people in anime generally have a means to defend themselves or have someone protecting them or talk it over. Shakti goes behind her friends backs and sneaks off to the enemy, often times putting said friends in danger along the way xD
Darkerangel

iKhaotic wrote:
and yeah, it's common, but Shakti just does it differently. those kinds of people in anime generally have a means to defend themselves or have someone protecting them or talk it over. Shakti goes behind her friends backs and sneaks off to the enemy, often times putting said friends in danger along the way xD
hahahaha that's so true!
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Re: Just Finished V Gundam... Awesome SPOILERS AHEAD

V Gundam was a bit of a change up for the franchise, but I've never really been a huge fan of it. The fact that nearly everything was played for cheap drama was supremely annoying, in my opinion. Character after character gets thrown to the drama gods for a pointless death scene and some angst from the survivors. Okay, yeah, horrors of war, etc etc, but it just wasn't done very well. Most of the characters were fairly generic ("plucky attractive young woman pilot" describes at least half the cast, and at least 90% of the ones killed off), and the rate at which they were slaughtered really just made me numb to the whole thing. It all felt really cheap and superficial.

The Zanscare mecha designs were pretty silly too. Bug eyes and beam rotors I can handle, but giant wheel support units and motorcycle battleships not so much.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Rawinder

I kind of liked it -- the core group of characters were mostly likeable and the battle choreography was great -- but the writing and tone of the series was extremely scattered and just flat out bad. There was some really weird dialogue too ("Marbet, be my wife." "Ok." "Marbet, bear my children." "Ok."), and characters were killed off so frequently and pointlessly that there wasn't really any dramatic weight behind any of it.

I don't regret watching it, but I wouldn't watch it again. I liked it but, at the same time, was disappointed by it too.
iKhaotic

to those who bring up how people die suddenly, stop and catch yourself to think about it lol. it's a war and our protagonists are MILITIA AND CIVILIANS, both of these facts alone make it believeable and normal for people to die suddenly and frequently. IMO, if anything i think that this fact is one of the things that makes V Gundam great, they're not afraid of killing off a potentially main character because it's how war is. UC (98% of it) is aimed towards "realism". no one is invincible, no one can single handidly destroy an army, no one gets it easy. not to sound negative towards the characters, but i like how they all die so easily lol.

and yeah, i really disliked the Zanscare's mechs. they all look way too weird for Gundam. i didn't mind the Motorad Squad and their motorcycle-esqe suits, but the bug eyed suits with the helicopter rotors are just plain weird. as for the battleships with wheels, it's on and off for me, some scenes they work, while others they just seem out of place :P
Nitramy

I don't know.

The Zanscare suits looked exotic and more Imperial Stormtrooper-like to me, and the ships with wheels were rather... I don't know, inspired.

And Victory did something that SEED Destiny didn't: Usso and Shakti's blind idealism was gone by series' end. Can't say that with a straight face about the 2 SEED "leads".
"No, it is not your lack of experience that is your greatest flaw. It is your disdain. Your defeats will not come from those more brilliant than you. They will come from the patient, the plodding, the mediocre." - Shibumi
SolidSlug

I like the mecha, those glowing bug eyes and stormtropper/vader/cylon style heads were a nice continuation of the Crossbone Vaguard Nazi Gas Mask/Pirate/Knight theme.

They also had a good scare factor for the enemy, special compared to the pretty gormless looking blue Javelin.

DuelGundam2099

Solid Slug throws + 10 Brick of Destiny Death at DuelGundam2099
Bit much, don't you think?
Brave Fencer Kirby

iKhaotic wrote:to those who bring up how people die suddenly, stop and catch yourself to think about it lol. it's a war and our protagonists are MILITIA AND CIVILIANS, both of these facts alone make it believeable and normal for people to die suddenly and frequently.
It's certainly not unrealistic for Victory's characters to die frequently and without warning, it's just not very satisfying. Accurate though it may be, it doesn't make for good entertainment, at least in my opinion. One death is a tragedy but a million is a statistic, and all that.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
iKhaotic

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:
iKhaotic wrote:to those who bring up how people die suddenly, stop and catch yourself to think about it lol. it's a war and our protagonists are MILITIA AND CIVILIANS, both of these facts alone make it believeable and normal for people to die suddenly and frequently.
It's certainly not unrealistic for Victory's characters to die frequently and without warning, it's just not very satisfying. Accurate though it may be, it doesn't make for good entertainment, at least in my opinion. One death is a tragedy but a million is a statistic, and all that.
hahah, very true. i guess it can go either way. i personally enjoy character development so i'm NOT for V Gundam's constant deaths, but towards the end, i was fine with the constant deaths since we've been through a lot with those characters already
HalfDemonInuyasha

Spoiler
Yeah, it's also pretty tear-jerking, especially with the BGM, and inspiring to see the adults sacrificing themselves in suicide charges without hesitation, like the Reinforce and Jean D'Arc, to allow the next generation to live on and make for a better future that they felt they were no longer needed for while, at the same time, taking out the 2 lead ships of Zanscare.

Also, as usual, it's nice to see the "villains" like Katejina and Katagie get their just desserts in the end.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Big B

One thing that bothered me was Katejina's flip from LM to Zanscare. You see her in a situation that she might've been used for some "fun" by some Zanscare pilots until Chronicle intervenes, and the next, she's changed over to Zanscare and is toying with Uso. I don't think the transition was well done on that.
iKhaotic

Big B wrote:One thing that bothered me was Katejina's flip from LM to Zanscare. You see her in a situation that she might've been used for some "fun" by some Zanscare pilots until Chronicle intervenes, and the next, she's changed over to Zanscare and is toying with Uso. I don't think the transition was well done on that.
i don't remember quite clearly either. all i know is that i also thought her transition was really strange. correct me if i'm wrong, but did she fall in love with Chronicle?