Is there a Gundam series that is "your" Gundam?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Is there a Gundam series that is "your" Gundam?

Chris wrote:
Clearly, going by my name, you should know that it's 0080 because Chris is in it. 8)

Actually, it would be a close tie between MSG and Zeta. MSG, because the movies were my first exposure to Gundam, and Zeta, because it was the first UC TV series that I watched.
Ah, I always figured Gundam X was more one of your bigger series.
Oh well, handy to know, suppose for me it's different since as of yet I haven't watched Zeta or MSG myself, having read about them and experienced bits and pieces of them in games and things though, I look forward to Zeta's release down here in Australia.
Kratos

Jaynz wrote:I guess I've just accepted everything but "War in the Pocket", really. :)
You really should get on that, the OVA is phenomenal.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Jaynz

Kratos wrote:
Jaynz wrote:I guess I've just accepted everything but "War in the Pocket", really. :)
You really should get on that, the OVA is phenomenal.
Got it, but I found it to be son insanely anvilicious that it was entirely off-putting. By the end, I half expected someone to kill a few puppies, string up a few nuns, and have the kid commit suicide by screwing up disarming the nuke. The last episode would then be a 30 minute screen of dripping blood kanji which translates to 'War is Bad!'.

Completely ruined my interest in the show with how over the top the message in this one was.
Kratos

Jaynz wrote: Got it, but I found it to be son insanely anvilicious that it was entirely off-putting. By the end, I half expected someone to kill a few puppies, string up a few nuns, and have the kid commit suicide by screwing up disarming the nuke. The last episode would then be a 30 minute screen of dripping blood kanji which translates to 'War is Bad!'.

Completely ruined my interest in the show with how over the top the message in this one was.
It's possible we watched a different series.

0080 wasn't anvilicious at all, or at least it never came across that way to me. In fact, it may just be the most subtle Gundam series in existence; the only time it breaks that subtlety is that video tape at the end. It SHOWS you that war is bad, instead of screaming it in your face and beating you over the head with it. When the events that show war is bad and traumatizing occur, that's it. It's done. In fact, most of the show is about the building of the friendship between Bernie and Al, and nothing goes down until the last 2 episodes. When things DO go down, it's emotionally affecting precisely because the entire show is used to build that friendship and the characters.

But, y'know. To each their own.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
ArkeotheHedgehog

While it's not a show at all, my Gundam series is, without a doubt, Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes. I haven't played 0081 Senki, but until I do, I think RFTA is by far the best Gundam video game yet. Being a game and not a tv show, OVA or movie means it's not as fleshed out, but I can't help but think of the incredible potential this story has. For a while there I wrote a few chapters of a novel-length fanfic before giving it up altogther. The scene that made me identify so much with the story is comparitively simple: in the last mission of the game, when it's clear the Zeon forces planetside have been all but abandoned, Lt. JG Visch Donahue goes out to make his last stand against you and your team, if only to allow time for the HLVs to escape. He says one line that really stuck with me over the 8 years since I first played the game: "God, what a nightmare." To me, this encapsulates the desperation of the Zeon forces in the face of inevitable defeat. Sorry for the rant, but I really would love to see that story get fleshed out some more.

As far as an anime goes, my Gundam series is either Gundam Wing (Toonami is truly the greatest thing to happen of my middle school days) even if, looking back, it kinda sucks, or Char's Counterattack, which when I first saw it I had to watch the entire movie in Japanese on laserdisk with no English subtitles. It still blows me away to this day. Who know's though, Unicorn might end up being my new favorite when it's all said and done.
InjuredPelican

When I first here the words gundam, I fondly think of Amuro and his Gundam. But then Gundam's V-fin floats down and becomes a mustache, and I start humming "Turn A Turn, Turn A!" For me MSG is one book end, while Turn A is the other. Turn A has about everything I love in a good Gundam series: lots of great characters, phenomonal music, and memorable mecha, with Turn A being my favorite suit period. It's so epic, and yet so down to earth at the same time. I also feel this series had the best animation (hand drawn for the win) and the best fight choreography. I could go on and on. Which is kind of the theme of Turn A.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
liubei013

Hmm...this is a tough one. Wing was my main 'gateway' into Gundam as well (though I watched Char's Counterattack on JP-only Laserdisc years before that) and other series were entertaining and/or brilliant.

I'd probably have to say a tie between 00 Season 1 and 08th MS Team for what I consider to be 'my' series. In 00, the excess of the 'gray' area regarding what's right and wrong are reflected in both the primary and secondary characters. I thought the whole lack of 'good vs evil' was a bit more interesting than the 'usual.' As for 08th MS, the action and characters are very down to earth.
SolidSlug

Wing got me into Gundam buts its 8th MS I watch the most. Also huge fan of V (if you hadnt already guessed) Turn A and the origional Movies.

I have pretty much watched all Gundam except Seed Destiny and OO season 2 :twisted: and thats not gunna happen....really cant wait to finally see Unicorn
Formally the Twisted Child of Apsalus

Sometimes the most appropriate response to reality is to go insane

QuessParaya

"My" Gundam is Char's Counterattack, or Turn A.
Eamus Catuli

HEJA BVB
Captain Anonymous

"My" Gundam is Gundam Wing, easily. While I enjoy the UC and other AU series, that one is the one I remember most fondly.
My favorite Gundam memory by far is sitting up in the summer, waiting for the Midnight Run showing of the uncut episodes. Something about watch a serialized space opera late at night just appeals to me and makes me happy to no end.
I could remeber the endless weeks that would follow, waiting for the first airing of Endless Waltz.

Good times........
crissio

This is already an old thread, but i cannot resist my sudden urge to clarify my identity here.
I always identified myself with Mobile Suit Gundam , and Zeta Gundam ; with MSG slightly above Zeta. Those two series really filled a void in my soul. As a result, when i was riding my bike , i always said " Amuro ,Gundam, ikimasssu!!" before launching outside my "whitebase".
ydawg314

Im surprised that not many people liked G gundam that much...
It was the first series i watched and I would watch all the reruns on cartoon network every Saturday. I watched it to the point that a memorized all the music and would sing along. I loved the way the gundams actually seem huge at times and caused massive collateral damage (the way you would expect anything that big to do in real life). The show could be very serious but funny at the same time and the action was always good. For me i felt there being more of actual point to having a battle machine with human limbs and I still think G gundam makes it more clear than any other gundam show.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Dark Duel

I confess, as much as I love G Gundam now, when it aired originally way back in the day, I really, REALLY hated it. It just seemed so off-putting how completely different it was, with all the hot-blooded screaming, goofy attacks, and even goofier designs.
Now I guess I'm a little older, a little wiser, and I can better appreciate the depth of its story behind all the flashiness.
I always did like Domon though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
smilydude

For awhile it was Wing. Then I saw Zeta, 8th and CCA and I pretty much converted to a UC fan ever since. It's hard to choose between those three as I personally see them as complimenting each other. So I guess I'll cheat and just say UC Gundam in general.

G Gundam deserves a shout out also.
Izayuukan

Definitely Gundam SEED for me. It was the second Gundam I ever watched (after Wing), and the first I ever collected on DVD. I don't want to go attacking the other entries into the franchise, so all I'll say is that I simply have not watched a better Gundam since.

What would be very revealing is if there was a massive survey done about Gundam's fandom, especially the Western aspect of it. I would be fascinated to see the strength of the correlation between the first work in the franchise that someone watches and that person's favourite work later on. Also, general demographics on who likes what the most would be an eye-opener. We can all theorise and conduct straw polls, but what I want to know is precisely where and why the division occurs.
Last edited by Izayuukan on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Gundam Seed and yes, Gundam Seed Destiny (even though it had some flaws).

I watched a bit of Gundam Wing when I was younger and never really understood it...I just saw a robot with a huge gun blowing stuff away with impossible firepower. My brothers loved it though.

It wasn't until years later when I was at B&N, I saw the manga version of Gundam Seed and picked it up...after that I was hooked! I just couldn't get enough of the series and Gundam in general! (I have now watched every series of Gundam except Victory, which I am working on now!)

Strangely enough, I bought Gundam Seed Destiny on DVD before Seed, because I thought the manga of Seed had it all. Nope...they really skipped over a lot in the mange. So I then bought Seed after Destiny. Kind of weird, but maybe that is why Destiny will always hold a special place in my heart, because it was the first Gundam series I watched from start to finish.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
MarqoD

For me, it would be Char's Counterattack. While the series that got me into Gundam (and anime in general) was 00, CCA just clicked. 00, and Zeta are up there as well, and Unicorn looks like it will be joining them. In general I like the Universal Century stuff I've seen and 00, consider CE decent but not great and I got bored of Wing about halfway through the series.

As for Doctors, I'd say Eleven (Matt Smith). Yes, he's only done one season, but he's nailed it and I can't wait for Christmas.
Zechs Merquise

08th MS Team is my Gundam, that or After War Gundam X.

I absolutely adore both of these, though I love all of Gundam, except SEED and Destiny I think they are complete garbage (Sorry S/D fans), so it makes it all the harder to pick.

My love for Zeta and G is very strong as well.
Last edited by Zechs Merquise on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
Marcis

0080 i would say.
And well Gundam Wing too just because it was my first Gundam series.
Gundam Movie trilogy also.
Applying for job at Anaheim
WallCrawler1610

Gundam X was the first one I started watching, but I really can't call that mine per say.

I haven't read it yet, but I think mine is gonna be Crossbone Gundam. If it turns out like I'm hoping it does, then it's my dream manga.