The Legend of the Galactic Heroes Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Black Knight

Re: The Legend of the Galactic Heroes Thread

I'd say that Yang is pretty cynical, but he's in fact merely a realist; he's well aware of the flaws in the system for which he fights, but his principles prevent him from strong, forceful measures to correct them, because down that path lies tyranny. Reinhard, meanwhile, is using tyranny in one of its most enlightened forms to correct the flaws in the Empire's government systems.

One of the grand ironies of the story is that this puts Yang, champion of democracy and liberty, fighting with all his skill to uphold a corrupt government which is barely even a democracy in name, while Reinhard wants to become autocratic ruler of humanity in part (but a sizable part) to help liberate "the people" from corrupt and unworthy leaders. As Yang himself notes, even though he wants to be a historian, were he born in the Empire, he'd have joined Reinhard's crusade whole-heartedly, and probably ended up a lot like Mecklinger, artist-turned-general.

A live-action LoGH? I wouldn't mind at all, though the trick, as noted in connection with the musical, would be the cast. It wouldn't work very well as a Japanese production, because as I discovered with the live version of Nodame Catabile, it looks really, really creepy to see a Japanese man trying to play a crazy old German man. An international cast would thus be required, and then you enter into the tricky question of what language everyone should be speaking....

The anime reportedly took its share of liberties with the original novels, mostly, from what I've heard, to cut down on the number of character,s(which nevertheless is extreme; it's most impressive how rarely they had to re-use seiyuu for different character, though I was amused when Osamu Saka was simultaneously voicing the Kaiser and the head of the FPA ruling council. I'm not worried about a live-action version "destroying" or "devaluing" the animated one. I'm sure that some things would be better in one than the other, much like attempts to bring the novel Dune to life. Like with Dune, some people would be violent supporters of each, and those not having strong opinions could enjoy both.
Gundamium Alloy

Forgive me I know nothing of this series. I have to admit I've glanced over several posts on this thread and this series sounds amazing. A grand-epic space opera. Where or when is this being released because I'd love to pick up a copy.
TakaTahuNuva

Gundamium Alloy wrote:Where or when is this being released because I'd love to pick up a copy.
Nowhere, unless you're fluent in Japanese, in which case you can pick up a copy from amazon.jp
ohhhh snap
Antares

*bump*
Does anyone have any ideas about sites with LoGH science, meaning general technical data about space travel (they seem to have FTL or warp) and weaponry (lasers, what?)? Does anyone know if the novels go into more detail about the science in this piece of science fiction?
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Yaminoseigi

Probably the LOGH wiki that had the most information so far

http://yang-wenli.wikia.com

Truly LOGH is a real masterpiece
Antares

Big thanks to Yaminoseigi about this link; it also mentioned the shields of the LoGH universe which has also been quite intriguing. Granted, the tech notes aren't very in-depth, but it's a good place to start. I wonder if there are any Japanese sites with more detailed info, although I suspect I wouldn't be able to decipher such technical terminology correctly.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Bonesy!

Some of my favorite episodes are the historical newsreel episodes. I'm around Episode 58 right now but I seem to be slowing down how much I watch. I've been watching off and on since last year or so.
Koshernova

Dear True Believers of LOGH, have you all been checking out the DVD remasters?

I always felt LoGH looked terrific, and the animation and look of the show only gets better as the seasons go on. However, the DVD version remastered a lot of scenes, produced new animation to replace many instances of crappy artwork, for example.

But the bit that surprised me the most? I was just watching the DVD version of Episode 6: The Rosen-Ritter. The episode has Frederica telling Yang when they first met, at the time of the El Facil incident. In the original, this is told by Frederica and we see images of what happened. In the DVD version, the footage shown when Frederica speaks is the actual scene which was shown in the LoGH Gaiden season 2! It's neat and it provides a sense of continuity... except that the style of animation for the second Gaiden is digital, unlike the rest of the show which uses traditional cels, and thus it... well, it clashes a lot to have animation from 2001 shown right next to animation from 1988. But hey, it's a good idea, just not that well executed.

EDIT: Aaand now I've watched Episode 7. The original episode had a lot of moments of off-model character design, especially Schenkopf himself (and some of the Rosen-ritter). It's safe to say around 80% of the character animation for this episode was redone from scratch (not tracing or remastering the original, but actually fully reanimating it). Aside from Schenkopf, and the fact that Yang looks like Yang again, the biggest change is in Admiral Schlockhausen's aide. He used to have an 80s action-hero hairdo, and in the new animation he is tougher looking, and has short military-cut hair. He's practically a brand new character.

I can't wait to see how much new footage, no matter how clashing, these DVDs have :)
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
treiz

I think I'm going to break down and import the discs. I've been waiting, every time I buy dvds and get one of those response cards, I send it in with only four important words on it.

>.<b
Jerrid fan!

Animated Wing forever!!

>.<b