Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Taekmkm
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Taekmkm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:39 pm

I think once Bandai realize they can safely release old Gundams without a dub mindset, they found the effort to bring them over much less hassle in terms of profit-potential.

User avatar
Mu La Flaga
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Mu La Flaga » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Phoenix012 wrote:I just made a post in the Unicorn thread concerning the Bandai Entertainment panel at Otakon, and I'm going reiterate some of the stuff here, seeing as its relevant.

During the Q&A session, someone asked the usual question about whether we'll see ZZ, V, or X anytime soon, and surprisingly they responded that they intend to bring all of them stateside with enough time. How long it will take and in which order is obviously still up for debate, but it seems that Bandai might be recognizing that Gundam has a large enough fanbase in the US now to justify releasing everything given enough time and resources to do so.

Obviously until formal announcements are made it's all just talk, but I found the comments made this evening an interesting shift from the type of evasive answers given in the past concerning bringing the remaining Gundam series to the Western Hemisphere.
I don't find it overall too surprising since at present it's a good way to release new stuff that would be cheaper then releasing newer Gundam entries dubbed right now, like Unicorn or stuff.

Although then again, I wonder if they will do sub only release or not?
Wish they would at least say what they plan to do in that reguard.

User avatar
angelwingzero
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by angelwingzero » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 am

I'm not going to throw numbers or what I might have heard somewhere else, but I just want bring up that the people that made decisions about these shows in the past aren't necessarily the people making the decisions now, but they are working off of the information they have from those people. So if Gundam X had ratings so bad as to be canceled, then maybe the new executives (or whoever makes these types of decisions) are working off of those numbers, and not the current level of fandom for these things. We've all seen how Bandai, and the Japanese anime industry likes to take the "we know what's best" approach with things.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.

User avatar
eanetdude
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: California

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by eanetdude » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Phoenix012 wrote:During the Q&A session, someone asked the usual question about whether we'll see ZZ, V, or X anytime soon, and surprisingly they responded that they intend to bring all of them stateside with enough time.
They've been saying the exact same thing since at least 2005 or earlier.

User avatar
Hi_Nu_Gundam
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:22 pm

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Hi_Nu_Gundam » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 pm

eanetdude wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Phoenix012 wrote:During the Q&A session, someone asked the usual question about whether we'll see ZZ, V, or X anytime soon, and surprisingly they responded that they intend to bring all of them stateside with enough time.
They've been saying the exact same thing since at least 2005 or earlier.
No, they've been saying that since 2001... :cry:
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?

User avatar
Shinigam_Newtype
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Scirroco's Bathtub

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Shinigam_Newtype » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, I don't know what this has to do with their decision in the next Gundam US release(If anything), but recently I saw an article where Namco Bandai announced they woluld be taking suggestions via twitter for which Ps1 games should be re-released for PSN. According to them, they'll release those that garner the most votes.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/14/namco ... -releases/

Now using the same mindset, I beleieve that Bandai will choose based on whichever is requested the most. I believe this because as will all firms, Bandai is out to make as much profit as possibly attainable. So in effect, they'll release the most popular in aim of achieving the most revenue.

I could be and possibly am wrong, and they could just be picking the titles based on the draw from a hat lol. Seriously though Turn A was the last I expected to see in the US.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4650
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:30 pm

There really is no connection, because Bandai's anime division (and Bandai Entertainment in America) are run separately from the games division. Also, that article doesn't mention that this fan request on Twitter thing is in Japan only. Who's to say if they might try it in America some day, but it isn't going to be right now.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

DuelGundam2099

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by DuelGundam2099 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

I wonder if Bandai has someone poking around boards like this and looking into threads such as this one? It's worth a thought or two.
No, they've been saying that since 2001
Wow, that's.... A serious gap in time. :? Anyway, I'd like to say real quick that ZZ being old would not be necessarily the only factor in it selling. A good example is Dunbine, it was made in what 1981? It got released here in the US around 2003, making it 22 years old by the time it got released. By now ZZ I believe around 24 years old, so it shouldn't do too bad. Maybe it'll get released for a 25th anniversary? :P

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4650
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:36 pm

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Wow, that's.... A serious gap in time. :? Anyway, I'd like to say real quick that ZZ being old would not be necessarily the only factor in it selling. A good example is Dunbine, it was made in what 1981? It got released here in the US around 2003, making it 22 years old by the time it got released. By now ZZ I believe around 24 years old, so it shouldn't do too bad. Maybe it'll get released for a 25th anniversary? :P
Dunbine was made in 1983, and when it was released here, it did horribly. ADV made the mistake of releasing it on 12 volumes as though it were a new series. ADV literally couldn't give the show away - they offered a bunch of early volumes for free with the purchase of other DVDs. And because it did poorly, they under produced the last volume, making it very hard to get for those who wanted to buy it.

I've said this many times before, and I'll say it again. Old anime DOES NOT sell in America, unless it's something that has a long history here and nostalgia value. This has been proven time and again, so I don't know why people continue to think that age somehow isn't an enormous obstacle when something gets licensed here.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Jaynz
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Jaynz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Balesirion wrote:In my personal opinion, I think it's probably overly optimistic to expect any of the older Gundam series to be released in the US. Given the current state of the anime industry in America, unless Turn A performs very well sales-wise, I doubt Bandai will want to take a risk on any of the older series.
Well, the fact that they're releasing Turn A, for maker's sake, puts a little bit of a lie to your statement, doesn't it? It's hardly the 'safe choice' for a Gundam series to be thrown into America right now. But, here's the thing, it's not like they're doing a new series and all the costs involved... just a dub. (That's not to say that there isn't cost involved, just that it's a fraction of the cost of a full series outright.)

Releasing Turn A, ZZ, X, V, and anything else is actually relatively low risk, assuming a low volume print run and a decent 'anime hits' style packaging. Heck, I just saw a new pressing of the original MSG movie trilogy yesterday! This isn't to say that it makes financial sense to do a blitz of all the series, but it does make sense to release a series or two in between the main releases of the franchise.

User avatar
Darkerangel
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Darkerangel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 am

Jaynz wrote: Well, the fact that they're releasing Turn A, for maker's sake, puts a little bit of a lie to your statement, doesn't it? It's hardly the 'safe choice' for a Gundam series to be thrown into America right now. But, here's the thing, it's not like they're doing a new series and all the costs involved... just a dub. (That's not to say that there isn't cost involved, just that it's a fraction of the cost of a full series outright.)

Releasing Turn A, ZZ, X, V, and anything else is actually relatively low risk, assuming a low volume print run and a decent 'anime hits' style packaging. Heck, I just saw a new pressing of the original MSG movie trilogy yesterday! This isn't to say that it makes financial sense to do a blitz of all the series, but it does make sense to release a series or two in between the main releases of the franchise.

:wink: Call me slow...lol, but aren't the powers that be (whoever making the decisions in America) aren't they making bank off of the gundam franchise in it's entirety?


Ooo flipping through that old Newtype USA Nov 11 2004 and long story short, there's a piece talking about the limited-edition DVD boxed set of Zeta Gundam and there's an interview with US producer Nobuo Masuda and there's a question asked:

Q: The story of Zeta isn't complete without Double Zeta. What's the likelihood that we'll see a release of the sequel?

A: There is no current plan, but it's a possibility in the coming years.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.

User avatar
eanetdude
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: California

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by eanetdude » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:32 am

Darkerangel wrote: Q: The story of Zeta isn't complete without Double Zeta. What's the likelihood that we'll see a release of the sequel?

A: There is no current plan, but it's a possibility in the coming years.
There is absolutely no substance in that answer. That is a complete non-answer. A PR move that has been used on countless occasions in entertainment, politics, sports, etc. Disgusting.

User avatar
Shinigam_Newtype
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Scirroco's Bathtub

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Shinigam_Newtype » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:37 am

Chris wrote:There really is no connection, because Bandai's anime division (and Bandai Entertainment in America) are run separately from the games division.
Yes, their divisions are different but their business objectives are the same and therefore we can assume that they may use the same methods. I'm not saying that they'll use the Twitter method like Namco Bandai did, but unless Bandai actually give a reason as to why they chose Turn A, then we can make the fair assumption that popularity had its part to play.

- If Bandai have given a reason, sorry I haven't read about it and just disregard the post.

Also the following is to anyone that would like to respond.

Will they actually be making a dub for Turn A, or will it just be a US release with english subs?
Similarly I heard that Z-Gundam Heirs To The Stars was released in the US a few weeks ago, was that dubbed, or english subbed? Thanks.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080

User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5827
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by ShadowCell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 am

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:Yes, their divisions are different but their business objectives are the same and therefore we can assume that they may use the same methods.
Uh, no we can't. What does this even have to do with Gundam? Namco Bandai has tons of games that have nothing to do with Gundam, and if this Twitter campaign is taking place only in Japan, that makes it doubly irrelevant to US releases.

User avatar
Mu La Flaga
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Mu La Flaga » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 am

Darkerangel wrote:
Jaynz wrote: Well, the fact that they're releasing Turn A, for maker's sake, puts a little bit of a lie to your statement, doesn't it? It's hardly the 'safe choice' for a Gundam series to be thrown into America right now. But, here's the thing, it's not like they're doing a new series and all the costs involved... just a dub. (That's not to say that there isn't cost involved, just that it's a fraction of the cost of a full series outright.)

Releasing Turn A, ZZ, X, V, and anything else is actually relatively low risk, assuming a low volume print run and a decent 'anime hits' style packaging. Heck, I just saw a new pressing of the original MSG movie trilogy yesterday! This isn't to say that it makes financial sense to do a blitz of all the series, but it does make sense to release a series or two in between the main releases of the franchise.

:wink: Call me slow...lol, but aren't the powers that be (whoever making the decisions in America) aren't they making bank off of the gundam franchise in it's entirety?


Ooo flipping through that old Newtype USA Nov 11 2004 and long story short, there's a piece talking about the limited-edition DVD boxed set of Zeta Gundam and there's an interview with US producer Nobuo Masuda and there's a question asked:

Q: The story of Zeta isn't complete without Double Zeta. What's the likelihood that we'll see a release of the sequel?

A: There is no current plan, but it's a possibility in the coming years.
Keeping in mind what you said the interview is from 2004 that is 6 years old.
Doesn't mean it doesn't fully stand today as it does 6 years ago when they did say or have been heard to say in time they intend to bring out all the other remaining Gundam series sooner or later.

User avatar
Darkerangel
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Darkerangel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 am

Mu La Flaga wrote: Keeping in mind what you said the interview is from 2004 that is 6 years old.
Doesn't mean it doesn't fully stand today as it does 6 years ago when they did say or have been heard to say in time they intend to bring out all the other remaining Gundam series sooner or later.
True. I guess what intrigues about that Q&A is how 2004-2010 so...(Gundam Seed-Gundam Unicorn) they seem to keep pushing Double Zeta back.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4650
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:Yes, their divisions are different but their business objectives are the same and therefore we can assume that they may use the same methods.
No, their objectives aren't necessarily the same. If you believe this, you need to really look at big companies that have multiple divisions like Bandai, Microsoft and Sony, especially when some of those divisions are acquired by purchase. In large companies like these, the separate divisions tend to be very protectionist of their own turf or product and will care only about that, to the exclusion of other divisions and the potential detriment of the company. It may not make any sense for divisions of a company to work against each other rather than together, but that's the way that people and companies are.

We've already seen this with Bandai. They had Bandai Entertainment to release anime in America, yet they established Bandai Visual USA as a separate company to release anime here. It created massive amounts of confusion and didn't make any sense, and eventually BV USA shut down and was folded into BEI.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

User avatar
eanetdude
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: California

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by eanetdude » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Will they actually be making a dub for Turn A, or will it just be a US release with english subs?
Similarly I heard that Z-Gundam Heirs To The Stars was released in the US a few weeks ago, was that dubbed, or english subbed? Thanks.
No information is known about a Dub or Sub Turn-A. Only the announcement of the license.

Regarding Zeta movies, why don't you go to Amazon.com and look it up? Why do people post questions for people when they can easily go and find the answer themselves? It's not hard.

Jaynz
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Jaynz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Let me save people some time and quell some eAngst.

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Mobile-Sui ... 092&sr=1-1

Subtitled only with very bad reviews right now.

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4650
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Which Will Be Next? (ZZ, V, or X?)

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Jaynz wrote:Let me save people some time and quell some eAngst.

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Mobile-Sui ... 092&sr=1-1

Subtitled only with very bad reviews right now.
I don't want to go off topic, but in fairness it's only two reviews, and in both cases it's people just whining about the lack of a dub.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Post Reply