Hathaway's Flash, detailed summaries?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Hathaway's Flash, detailed summaries?

Was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a detailed summary of the Hathaway's Flash novels. I remember finding one a long time ago, but it was in Spanish :cry:
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Overlord Zaru

Re: Hathaway's Flash, detailed summaries?

Heres my knowledge for an abirdged summary:

Hathaway becomes a rogue after CCA, eventually gets captured by his own dad(who doesn't know that it's Hathaway). Hathaway gets sentenced to death and on the night before his execution, the ghost of Quess comes along and tells him "You screwed your life over for me. But I didn't love you, so you wasted it". Insert execution.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Yeah I already know the ending (its on Gundam wiki), just hoping for more detail like How gets captured and stuff...

yazi88

I believe that there was some kind of EMP or minovsky particle accelerator or something of sorts that was used to disable the Xi Gundam and he was captured when attempting to attack the Federation world meeting or something like that. If you really want to know play some of the G Generation games especially Spirits where they have all the major UC events including Hathaway's Flash although no Gundam Sentinel story missions for some reason.
Deacon Blues

I suppose I'll come to the rescue. Murr.

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
Hathaway’s Flash
[VOLUME.01]

Author: Yoshiyuki Tomino
Summarization: Deacon Blues

CHAPTER.01: Gigi

Captain Kenneth Sleg yawns yet again aboard Flight 356 on the Haunsen bound for Earth. For him, this flight is no ordinary flight. He’s flying together with forty-some of the Earth Federation government’s cabinet ministers; any of which can end his career prematurely if they so wish. So what’s this mean? Well, it’s not a flight that just anyone can board: you’ve gotta have either money or special connections to get a seat. Kenneth, however, just happened to pull some strings with the military to get him a seat on the flight. Interrupting his seeming boorish state to take a seat is Gigi Andalusia, an alluring twenty something year old female. Several of the perverted ministers give Gigi a few hungry looks as the flight is underway.

Joining Kenneth as a part of the Kimberly Task Force is test pilot Len Elm. He was dispatched ten days prior with the prototype mobile suit “Penelope”. Together, they are tasked with cleaning up the organization that calls itself “Mafty” following their recent radical anti-Federation activities on Earth. However, the orders by which Kenneth is to assume command of the unit were just handed down the day before yesterday.

Kenneth finally introduces himself. Gigi, is engrossed with viewing a picture book on her computer. Trying to chat it up with her, he asks her what she’s reading. After showing him a few of the various stories she has, she pops a rather loaded question to him. She wants to know what Kenneth’s thoughts, as a serviceman, are on Mufti Nabiyu Erin. However, Kenneth isn’t quite sure how to answer that. After a brief exchange, Kenneth finally opens up about it. He says that Mufti is a dangerous character, someone who disrupts the order of the Earth Federation government. Gigi explains that the world seems to have a fondness for Mufti and wonders if television stations are airing special programs on him because he’s not someone like Amuro Ray or a reincarnation of Char Aznable.

Kenneth counters with the fact that Mufti’s declaration is something extreme: the carrying out of a policy which dictates that after the assassination of key Federation government officials, all of mankind must leave Earth in order to cleanse it. He asks her whether or not she thinks this is rather childish of them or not. While he thought that his response was rather appropriate, she quips back by saying that there is are truths in children’s logic.

The two continue their discussion and Gigi continues to press into Kenneth with some interesting questions. Mufti assassinates a key figure of the government, but if they kill using a mobile suit, is it an assassination? Kenneth replies that it’s a random attack. Gigi nonetheless believes this to be wrong, that it isn’t an indiscriminate attack if they’re only aiming for key cabinet ministers of the Federation: the target is clearly established. Kenneth doesn’t have a response and instead asks her for her opinion. She thinks that Mufti’s name is pretty seeing how it’s a blend of Sudanese, Arabic and old Irish (Gaeilge). Kenneth merely laughs and floats back over to his seat.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

THANKS DEACON! :mrgreen:

balofo

thanks deacon, please keep going with this project
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I think a fan made an awesome video on Hathaway's Flash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftVvcOSGqI

I hope someone didn't post this already, I hate repost
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
iKhaotic

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:I think a fan made an awesome video on Hathaway's Flash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftVvcOSGqI

I hope someone didn't post this already, I hate repost
Wow, that was a really nice video! Makes me want a Hathaway's Flash OVA lol. The Xi and Penelope Gundams have got to be two of the craziest UC mobile suit designs.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Shinigam_Newtype

10 years late to the thread but a friend of mine is doing a chapter by chapter breakdown of the 3 novels. The first one is here

https://papakku.wordpress.com/2020/05/3 ... eview=true
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
bhayes82

Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 am 10 years late to the thread but a friend of mine is doing a chapter by chapter breakdown of the 3 novels. The first one is here

thank you very much. any idea when he will get to the other 2 novels?
Shinigam_Newtype

bhayes82 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:58 pm
Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 am 10 years late to the thread but a friend of mine is doing a chapter by chapter breakdown of the 3 novels. The first one is here

He hopes to have book 2 done by end of this week and book 3 by the end of next week
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

bhayes82

Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 am

He hopes to have book 2 done by end of this week and book 3 by the end of next week
awesome. this will hold me over while we wait for more promo trailers from the film adaptation. I'm hoping the marketing for the film will pick up a bit. i mean its 1 month away and we got only 3 teaser trailers and 3 promo posters.
Chris
Administrator

bhayes82 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 pmawesome. this will hold me over while we wait for more promo trailers from the film adaptation. I'm hoping the marketing for the film will pick up a bit. i mean its 1 month away and we got only 3 teaser trailers and 3 promo posters.
Why the rush? First of all, it was just announced (as widely expected), that the movie is delayed due to the coronavirus. Second, even if it released as originally scheduled, English-speaking audiences wouldn't see it anytime soon anyway.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinigam_Newtype

You can find the book 2 summary here

https://papakku.wordpress.com/2020/06/0 ... breakdown/

Shinigam_Newtype

For anybody interested in the final book summaries, apparently it clears up a lot of internet rumours?

https://papakku.wordpress.com/2020/06/1 ... breakdown/

bhayes82

lets agree on one thing. they MUST tweak the story a bit for the films. the ending is TOO depressing. an ending like that may translate well with Japanese audiences but for the international audience to appreciate it. they must tweak some things.

but the overall structure of the story is incredible. tomino is a great storyteller. its interesting because Kenneth Sleg and Lane Aim are not just EVIL bad guys. they just believe what they are doing is right and in the end Kanneth Sleg has sympathy toward Hathaway and Bright and realizes he's on the wrong side and quits the Earth Federation. interesting story.

the one change I see them making are:

1. More newtype-ism: Gigi and Hathaway will be New Types. Lane Aim a Cyber-Newtype. Xi and Penelope will have psycho-frame cock-pits. newtype magic will happen at the end or something close to it.

2. Flashbacks will be changed/altered or Extended: the flashbacks that occur in book 1 and 3 will be altered. more Amuro and Char flashbacks. and Hathaway's guilt over the killing of Chan Agi (Amuro's girlfriend in CCA) will be addressed. Kamille from Zeta Gundam is mentioned near the end of the book. i wouldn't be surprised if he gets a mini cameo in the movie. that would rock. technically he's still alive.

3. More Action: the story needs more animated jaw-dropping action. that's what people want to see. and I feel they will add that.

4. The ending: the ending needs a more uplifting tone. its too depressing for the good guys to just COMPLETELY loose like they do in the book. i think once Mafty shows the world and the people in the colonies how wrong the earth forces are. the new law doesn't get passed and the circle unit is dissolved and the laws are changed. Hathaway is still defeated but only after an EPIC battle with Lane Aim.