Turn A Gundam: Coming soon

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Re: Turn A Gundam: Coming soon?

Chris wrote:
Darkerangel wrote:haha speaking of which, Gundam Wing is older than Turn A too and you don't hear too many people calling that shiz old =P.
Yeah, but when Gundam Wing aired 10 years ago, it was only 5 years old. And for the people who grew up watching it, they have childhood nostalgia for it as people of my generation did for the original Transformers. As has been shown time and again, "old" is ok if it's something people have nostalgia for, but not if it's an "old" thing you're trying to show people for the first time.
Hilarious case in point, I showed a newer anime fan (FullMetal Alchemist/FMA: Brotherhood being their favorites) some Wing not too long ago, and they said, "Oh, wow, this is old-school anime like Trigun). Now, when I think old-school, it's the anime from the late-'70s and '80s, and maybe some early '90s titles. Gundam Wing is 1995 and Trigun is 1998--that may be a while ago, but neither of those classify as "old-school" to me when you think back to stuff like Gundam 0079 or VOTOMS. (They did say though that they thought the animation quality of Wing was pretty good, even though it looked old).

Now, Turn-A Gundam is a series I've always been curious about. Over the years, in my impatience, I've learned more about it than I'd like, but I still am interested to see how it all plays out with all the blanks I don't know about. From some small clips I've looked at in the past, the animation quality is fairly impressive, and I think its "throwback" visual style might make it harder for modern fans to place a date to compared to Gundam X, which has the feel of the era (a visual feel I happen to like more so than not). As an aside, Gundam X, more often than not, didn't have consistent dynamic choreography in its fight animation compared to Wing and G; Turn-A looks like it might fair better. (Someone made a comment that seemed to suggest Endless Waltz had poor animation quality...but for my money, that's one of the best animated Gundams despite its almost superfluous curtain-call/also-ran plot).

Unless Gundam 00 started a trend with Bandai/Gundam and SyFy, I don't expect Turn-A to be aired. I would like to see it dubbed, though. And, yes, I do hope this means Gundam X will get over here with a dub in the next few years.

G, Wing, X, Turn-A seemed to be a very interesting grouping of AUs--somehow more distinctive than SEED and 00 (not to say that those were not without their merits). But when I think of AU, I think of those first four).
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
VentZX

Re: Turn A Gundam: Coming soon

This is all around good news, if not necessarily unexpected thanks to that Facebook hint. I guess the "impossible" really can happen. I for one am really hoping for a dub, since I've already enjoyed Turn A in Japanese. This is a definite must buy.

One thing may not influence the other, but it would be nice to see Gundam X licensed as a result of Turn A doing well, if it does of course. I would also love to see it televised if it does get a dub. Turn A may be considered "old," but you do still see a couple of "old" anime on SyFy, so who knows.

Wishful thinking aside, I'm just glad to finally see it licensed and coming out. It only took 11 years.
CidHighwind

The impossible, now, is probably ZZ and Victory. I'm not sure they would sell too well at all.

Maybe though, just maybe, someone will approach it with the attitude of there only being 3 series left, and, why not at least a sub?
Volnixshin

They could air it on SyFy or IFC. IFC would allow no censoring in any way
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Deus257

Volnixshin wrote:or IFC. IFC would allow no censoring in any way
I'm pretty sure Funimation has IFC under its thumb since they only shown funi exclusive titles.
Casval Rem Daikun

So. Very. Happy. :D
Turn-A is my favorite Gundam series. I try to watch the whole thing once a year in some form. I'm actually on the last two episodes on my Blackberry right now.

Honestly I don't care if it's sub only or sub/dub, but if it does get dubbed, I'd love to do Corin Nander's part. Heck, I'd probably do it for free if I got the chance.

I guess I can hold off for a bit on pre-ordering the DVD box set of the series from Japan (yeah, I like it that much).

I really hope they do a DVD release at the same time as a BR. I still haven't seen Unicorn yet because I'm not ready to move to Blu Ray and one show is not enough to make by buy a player or drive, and I haven't heard anything about a DVD version yet. I'm dreading the idea of having to re-buy stuff in that format, although I know the quality can be much higher. I was caught out by MSG with that back in the day, and I'd rather not deal with it again just now. Replacing even 25% of my DVD collection with BR versions would be horribly expensive.

Anyway, this news definitely eases the end-of-series blues that come up when you're done watching a good show.

As for it being broadcast, I think SciFi might run it. While it's not a frenetic non-stop battle, that's a huge part of what makes it so damned good. The beginning of the series, while somewhat slow, has enough comedy and drama to keep people interested. It's better than half the crap SciFi (can't bring myself to call it SyFy) has run for the past several years, animated or not. The fact that the mobile suits are really secondary to the story for the most part should offer it a wider appeal to audiences, and maybe more importantly, potential buyers.
It just needs to be promoted properly.
Sadly, Bandai is apparently incapable of promoting anything in the US properly, so it falls again to the fans to do it.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I love Turn A Gundam! In my opinion it has the best ending out of any Gundam series and it didn't even end in a killing spree (which is honestly over done). My only issue was that I wish that Lorin was a girl. I really think that would have broken new ground and really it would have made more sense if they built the series around that, because of how weird and strange Turn A was. But, I guess I am going to have to be content with Ecole Du Ciele when it comes to female Gundam pilots (and pray that one day they might do a OVA of it...like they are doing with Unicorn).

As much as I enjoy X, somehow I think that ZZ will be released in the US first. Think about it....that is the last UC series they need to dub that fits into the timeline without jumping 60 years. What I mean is that, they may do that in order for people to understand Unicorn more. I think Victory and X will be the last two to come out...which is weird because I always placed money on Victory and Turn A being the last to be released in the US.

SInce Wing was so popular here...I would think that X would be popular here too...since there are alot of similarities.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amadi Akintunde

Soma Taozi wrote: SInce Wing was so popular here...I would think that X would be popular here too...since there are alot of similarities.
I don't see how; I'd imagine the only Gundams the fans here would appreciate would be the X-series, seeing how similar it is to Wing Gundam/Wing Zero. The others were kinda bland in their presentation. Leopard and Airmaster seemed too similar instead of being individually designed. And in the case of Virsago and Ashtaron, I'm unsure as to how well liked they were; I don't think they got enough screentime.
Dark Duel

Leopard looked a bit like HeavyArms, and AirMaster is visually what you'd get if you crossed Wing Zero with G-1 Starscream.
I'm sure there'd be some people among the older fans who would appreciate them.
What I'd dread rather more would be the people who would compare Double X to Freedom, claiming that the former is a ripoff of the latter(when in truth it's the other way around).
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
LightningCount

Amadi Akintunde wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote: SInce Wing was so popular here...I would think that X would be popular here too...since there are alot of similarities.
I don't see how; I'd imagine the only Gundams the fans here would appreciate would be the X-series, seeing how similar it is to Wing Gundam/Wing Zero. The others were kinda bland in their presentation. Leopard and Airmaster seemed too similar instead of being individually designed. And in the case of Virsago and Ashtaron, I'm unsure as to how well liked they were; I don't think they got enough screentime.
I'm a little more on the side of Soma Taozi here. Back when I first saw Gundam Wing in 2000, there was an electronics' store in the mall that was selling Gundam Model Kits, and included with the Wing ones were ones from Gundam X. I immediately accepted them (X) as being from the same vein (as Wing), and began to eagerly await the series on TV (in vain).

Fast-forward many years later, and I think that X has a different pacing and overall feel than Wing, and yet somehow enough artistic touches in design and flourishes in its action-variety to connect the two. For instance, the fancy dress military clothing later on in the series is reminiscent of OZ/Romefeller Foundation, and Witz strikes me as a grown-up (albeit hot-tempered) version of Trowa in looks, while Garroad has a visual similarity between Duo and Heero, with an attitude similar to Duo's. Meanwhile, Virsago draws distinct inspiration from Epyon and Altron, the Leopard is a beefed-up Heavy Arms, and the smooth lines and flight transformation of the Airmaster brings to mind Wing Gundam. You already mentioned the X-series connections (a younger me, seeing a few brief fansite clips back in the day was saying stuff like "Oh my gosh, the GX's cannon is more powerful than Wing Zero's!!!" That sort of stuff alone would blow a Wing fan's mind :D )

In my opinion, this was a great group of Gundams (though, by and large, I actually liked the starters better than their upgrades). Virsago and Ashtaron are in a close fight with Master Gundam and Epyon for the best "Evil Gundam," IMO. Moreover, I think a newcomer would have made the connection of Tallgeese and Vertigo, since they were both white, crested, and proved to be a worthy rival to the Gundam. And while the pacing was different, X's arcs weren't that far off from when Wing would settle down in places like the Sanc Kingdom for a while before moving on to a new thread.

As for the action-variety I spoke of, X like Wing (and G) provides a variety of opportunities for the pilots to shine outside of their mobile suits compared with most Gundam series. It makes the pilots "cool"/"likable" beyond their machines. Now, Gundam X's action was not as heavy as Wing's, and regrettably seemed somewhat stilted at times, but there was enough to hold a Wing fan's interest if they were just coming off Wing and trying to see what else Gundam could do. As early as Episode 3, you see some very Wing-esque action when Virsago trashes the Alternative Co.'s security forces in style, and then Leopard and Airmaster tear through a Vulture ship attacking a well-animated Ashtaron cruising at top speed.

I think X would have been even stronger if it had its extra ten episodes, but it would still have struck a cord on a US Wing fan wanting more Wing after Wing's broadcast had ended. At this point, the impact will be greatly limited due to the gap in time, animation, and lack of TV outlets or interest in TV broadcasts. You saw this with 00, which despite its flaws and stepping on toes, should have been able to grab more Wing people. I still want to see and definitely purchase Gundam X DVDs *dubbed* in the US, though, so I can get a sense of how the experience would have been. (Please, Bandai!) Some people talked about their "trinity" of Gundam TV series, and X is right with Wing and G for mine. For that matter, X's feel is sort of a blending of Wing and G.

While I thought Turn-A was intriguing when I learned of it, it never held the same fascination coming off Wing a X did, and really none of the main UC series came close in feeling for me.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Darkerangel

[comment moved]
Last edited by Darkerangel on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Amadi Akintunde

LightningCount wrote:Bwap
Guess I'll agree with you there. Though I think we should see a dubbed Gundam X in something like Dynasty Warriors Gundam first; let us analyze what it'd be like before doing any real dub work. Did that with Turn A, turned out nicely sans the voice direction work.
Chris
Administrator

Guys, this is a Turn A thread. In this last page it's been derailed to everything but Turn A. If you want to talk about X, Victory or ZZ, take it to another thread.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soma Taozi

Opps sorry Chirs! I guess I just went everywhere once I commented on Turn A. I was just making a point of what series I thought were going to be released next. Although now there is a new topic about that so I will go there.

But in the vein of following this trend, I will just add that Turn A is amazing!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Darkerangel

disregard this post.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
angelwingzero

I wonder who will be the voice actors for the show. I wonder if they'll use the ones from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. The actor who played Loran in the game was alright, but the guy who did Ghingnham (aka Ali from 00) is awesome.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

I can honestly say I always expected Turn A to be the last Gundam series brought over here, if at all. Not that I'm complaining of course. I just really hope they decide to dub the series.
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Dark Duel

As long as we don't get Brad Swaile, Steve Staley, or Matt Hill as Loran, I'm good with almost anything. (I know two of those are not even remotely plausible, but you never know - weirder things've happened)
Soma Taozi wrote:My only issue was that I wish that Lorin was a girl. I really think that would have broken new ground and really it would have made more sense if they built the series around that, because of how weird and strange Turn A was.
I do want to say one thing: I completely agree that Loran being a girl would've totally rocked on the basis of doing something totally new, which Turn-A did in a lot of aspects.
But on the other hand, we would lose the amusing story element of Loran cross-dressing, which while not entirely new(see: ZZ) nor strictly necessary, was still funny as all heck.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi

Dark Duel wrote:As long as we don't get Brad Swaile, Steve Staley, or Matt Hill as Loran, I'm good with almost anything. (I know two of those are not even remotely plausible, but you never know - weirder things've happened)
Yeah Brad Swaile would just be weird as Lorin, don't get me wrong I love his voice acting, but he played Amuro and I think he should stay as Amuro. Maybe they should give a unknown a part, it would be nice to see some new voices.

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

Well to be fair, Brad was pretty darned awesome as Setsuna, too. But Loran is an entirely different character, and Brad would just sound wrong. (Matt Hill would be even worse, and Steve would sound too old for Loran, though I can see him fairly convincing as either what's-his-face that always gets Loran's name wrong, Gavane, or Harry)

I also agree that perhaps some new blood would be best - a good case in point is Alex Zahara: almost a complete nobody, appears out of nowhere with the dub of Gundam 00, and he makes a badass Lockon.