Good mecha anime to watch?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Bonesy!

Re: Good mecha anime to watch?

seen new getter robo
Imperial

Aquarion didn't do much for me.

People froth at the mouth (in a good way) about what a huge throwback it is to the classic Super Robot formula. That would be all well and good if the show at least tried to innovate or invert the formula, but it's the same-old, same-old. Call me spoiled, but I wanted a little depth.

It doesn't help that the vast majority of the cast is irritating as sin. I was rooting for the Shadow Angels half the time because the Aquarion crew was so ridiculously annoying, not to mention how awkward the entire reincarnation sub-plot was. Apollo is a lesson in how *NOT* to make a protagonist. Only Pierre and Silvia were really likable, and I think they got short-changed on screen time.

The title robot in of itself is fairly cool, whether in the whacky attacks or the Getter-style transformation, but even it can only carry the show so far on the "get smashed until someone pulls a brand new super attack out of thin air" routine.
This space for rent
Bonesy!

I've heard mixed things about Aquarion from many sources, enough so that I don't feel like bothering because I either hear it was shit, mediocre, good, or THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Bonesy.
If you want post up more of a list of stuff you have seen, so we know what stuff to try and suggest.
Since you gave a few but not like everything you have seen so far.
Be a handy little reference.
TakaTahuNuva

Or maybe just watch GGG. Not sure what you have against it, but while the first half of the show is veeeery slow-going, it actually ends pretty good (and I'm not a big fan of Super Robot shows). Not to mention the sequel, GGG Final, which gets really hardcore at times.

Another Super Robot show you might like is Giant Robo. Haven't actually seen it yet - just bits and clips - but it looks and feels like someone combined the Big O with the works of Osamu Tezuka. Retro/Steampunk/Ninja action.
ohhhh snap
Bonesy!

Mu La Flaga wrote:Hey Bonesy.
If you want post up more of a list of stuff you have seen, so we know what stuff to try and suggest.
Since you gave a few but not like everything you have seen so far.
Be a handy little reference.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/RandTravis is about all I can offer and it's out of date and missing things.

I've seen GGG, I honestly prefer J-Decker. And I watched Giant Robo like a month or two ago.
Mu La Flaga

Hm alright gives some new ideas to ask.

How about Tekkeman Blade or Detonator Orgun?
wantfastcars

Whoa boy. Finished Zegapain. That was a damn good series. The ending left me wanting just minutes more, but if they'd made another episode it would've been totally ruined (unless, like G00, they only use about 10 min for the actual ep, then 10 min creds XD) but wow. It was awesome. Also, acquired Kurogane no Linebarrels. Read the back in a store. It sounds like a cross of 00 (epic robots and naked people lol) and Evangelion (stupid main character). Have any of you seen it? Is it any good?
"The God of Death is BACK FROM HELL!!!!" -- Duo Maxwell, AKA The God of Death
Snake Plissken

Acquarion isn't that great, it's pretty watered down and it's too formulaic for my tastes.
What about Super Dimension Century Orguss? I still have to watch that.
TakaTahuNuva

Snake Plissken wrote:What about Super Dimension Century Orguss? I still have to watch that.
I'm on episode 10 of Orguss. Nothing really happened so far; they've just traveled across the land, battling more and more enemies.

What I like about it, though, is that like Macross, it's got an awesome cast. Most (if not all) of the characters are very likable. Not surprising, since both shows were made by the same team (heck, several Macross characters - Minmei, Shammy and Venessa - even get mentioned by the main character)
ohhhh snap
DuelGundam2099

So, am I the only one here that liked Aquarion?
Zechs Merquise

Still suggesting peeps watch Gunbuster and Diebuster, Gainax's best works.
Currently Playing:Super Robot Wars J
Currently Watching: Ideon
Mu La Flaga

DuelGundam2099 wrote:So, am I the only one here that liked Aquarion?
It kind of looks like it.
Aquarion at the end I was meh on it at best, I didn't like the main trio of Aquarion pilots.

Apollo was an idiot and rude at times.
Sirius was stuck up and arrogant.
Silvia could be just as stuck up as her brother, not to mention having a thing for him.

That and the ammount of attacks it kept on making because of the pilots seemed a bit extreme.
DuelGundam2099

Apollo was an idiot and rude at times.
Strange, I thought he was like Ryoma from the Getter Robo OVAs except for being a bit of a wild-man.
Sirius was stuck up and arrogant.
And for some reason he reminded me of Sephiroth. Silvia I'll give you since, well, 'that'.

Anyways, back on topic, Steel God Jeeg! See it, 'cause it's only 13 episodes and they're all full of actiony action and whatnot. 8)
Mu La Flaga

Apollo now I think about it, he was only like that at times when he was let to run loose around the grounds of the base.

I suppose he can remmind me of a Ryouma in the sense in battle when he performs attacks.

Sirius I still stand by that claim, considering also he even stood by his way of doings things until he decided he wanted to defect because he believed so much that he was the re-incarnation of Silver Wing ect and all that.

Silvia did have some redeeming traits later on though.
But to me I liked Piere and Reika alot as characters to me.

As for Steel Jeeg you talking about the new one or the OLD one?
Bonesy!

shin jeeg is only 13 eps
DuelGundam2099

As for Steel Jeeg you talking about the new one or the OLD one?
The new one. It may be only 13 eps but I still loved it, very actiony with a hell of a final battle. Plus Magura reminded me of Neo Ranga.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

I would recommend Psalms of the Planets Eureka Seven it is a very well paced and writen Anime with very compelling story line with brilliant character development. A piece of advice watch the TV show 1st
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
yazi88

I'm kinda surprised no one mention these classic series:

L-gaim: One of Tomino's rare non-depressing show in the 80's (other than Xabungle), its the show made before Zeta but the designs are awesome but the best parts are the characters and the story. Daba is a really cool and likeable character and his best pal Kyao provides the awesome humor. It doesn't always takes itself very seriously which is pretty cool. And this comment also segways to...

Metal Armor Dragonar: Now this is a classic gem, directed by the late Takeyuki Kanda who also did other shows like Vifam, and the first half of 8th team before he passed and all of these mentioned shows have his ingenious aspects of teamwork. Very few mecha anime portray teamwork very well or even at all like the way Takeyuki Kanda does. But also what sets Dragonar apart is the characters and the humor. This show is quite lighthearted for the most part and the loveable stupidity of the 3 main characters Kaine, light , and Tap is hilarious and I can't think of any mecha anime that has come close to the sheer humor that these 3 stooges have portrayed in their misadventures.
Bonesy!

Demon Lord of L5 wrote:I would recommend Psalms of the Planets Eureka Seven it is a very well paced and writen Anime with very compelling story line with brilliant character development. A piece of advice watch the TV show 1st
you could get away with the movie first in all honesty