The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
zetatype

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk II

flobo wrote:I usually follow this forum without posting but thought i'd say what i thought about this episode.

I think it was ok, but nowhere near the level of episode 1. I'm not at all as hyped as i was 6 months ago.
While the music was fantastic in almost every single scene of the first episode, well, it felt more like regular anime music this time.
Spoiler
Also about the plot, while the second half was good, i think it was way too slow in the first 30 min. Because we only have 2 episodes a year, i think the battle scene should have lasted half the time it did.
The first episode was better, but IMO the second came close to being just as good. The fight scenes were better, though you are right that it should have been a bit shorter. The first half suffers a bit because there is not as much plot development though we do get an interesting hostage negotiation scene. The second half is were the meat of the plot is and we get some interesting conversations between the primary and secondary characters. The music is just as good, in fact some of it is from the 1st episode, my favorite being when the Unicorn gundam takes off from the Nahel Argama (starts off with the RX-0 track and then switches to the Unicorn track mid-way through the battle). All in all, I am very satisfied and I'm glad we won't have to wait 6 months for the next one (March 5th I think).
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingtroll

balofo wrote: but to cover this all they are going to cut
Spoiler
zinnerman's past
Should be fine. It's not even that important yet until "The Universe and The Planet" chapters. I am actually quite happy with the pace of episode 2. It cut out some scenes that I thought was not that necessary in the novel. Although I wish they put a little more time in the interaction between Banagher and Gilboa's family, since that would eventually precipitate into a turning point for Banagher in the next episode.
Aegis

I personally do prefer the first episode over the second episode, but even then I was not disappointed. The Sinanju looks so pretty, be it in action or just pure eye candy. :) And as for the rest, even when Banagher was wasting his ammo on the beam magnum, the Unicorn still looked impressive against the Sinanju. :P The dialogue was also quite decent; the interaction between Banagher and Full Frontal, Char clone or otherwise, it was quite nice. Marida, I'm also liking alot as well just for her dialogue and her little words of encouragement alone. Truth be told, I happen to like the whole cast, with the exception of Angelo thus far. So now, we wait till March. ;p
Dark Duel

Aegis wrote:Truth be told, I happen to like the whole cast, with the exception of Angelo thus far. So now, we wait till March. ;p
I have two exceptions to that, personally: Angelo, and Alberto Vist. (Technically three if you include Martha Vist-Carbine, but she doesn't show up until next ep AFAIK)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kratos

I actually really like Angelo. I mean, his lavender hair, violet uniform, and magenta Geara Zulu make so that I can't take him seriously, but dammit if his English voice actor doesn't do a phenomenal job with the character.

Also, Full Frontal. Holy shit. I don't like all the English voice acting, but him alone makes me wanna watch it in English.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Dark Duel

Angelo's sort of a more likable/cooler version of Dorel Ronah from F91. I like him better than I did Dorel, but still not all that much. And yes, I agree that he actually sounds pretty great dubbed. He also gets props for that short confrontation with Banagher later in the episode that's quoted in the dubbed trailer.

And yes, Full Frontal is epically awesome. I'm a little miffed that they didn't bring back one of the various voice actors to've done Char(three at last count IIRC) for the dub, but I watched the fourteen-minute preview dubbed, and Silverstein does such an awesome job that he alone would make it worth it even if I wasn't already a fan of several of the other VAs.

Well, him and Commander McAwesome.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
J-Lead

Kratos wrote:Also, Full Frontal. Holy ZOINKS. I don't like all the English voice acting, but him alone makes me wanna watch it in English.
Luckily, Keith Silverstein did the best Micheal Kopsa impression he could muster, and while he's not on the money, he's better than Tom Edwards by a longshot.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Dark Duel

I dunno I thought Edwards did a pretty good job as Quattro, though Kopsa was still better.
But yeah, Silverstein is better than Edwards was - that point I'll concede.

While we're discussing dub voices, I think that of the recurring characters to get lines in this episode who didn't in Ep1 (Otto, Riddhe, Commander McAwesome, Alberto), I think all of them are pretty great (though I have a very hard time listening to Yuri Lowenthal without picturing Spinzaku), but my favorites in terms of how well they're dubbed are Captain Otto(who I think sounds pretty close to the original), and Commander McAwesome(who sounds like Ahnuld took a level in badass). Also Mihiro, but I'm biased because it's Michelle Ruff.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-Lead

Never said Edwards was bad, but the notchar in his voice made it kind of hard to warm up to in the Zeta Dub. :|
Dark Duel

J-Lead wrote:Never said Edwards was bad, but the notchar in his voice made it kind of hard to warm up to in the Zeta Dub. :|
This is true. To be perfectly honest, I heard him as Quattro before I heard Kopsa as Char, but I did prefer the latter.

blind_dead_mcjones

Dark Duel wrote:but my favorites in terms of how well they're dubbed are Captain Otto(who I think sounds pretty close to the original), and Commander McAwesome(who sounds like Ahnuld took a level in badass)
well McAwesome is voiced by the same guy who did Batou's dub voice

alberto's dub voice was also well pulled off, it helped complete the picture of the slimy and arrogant obstructive beauraucrat that he is
Flag Fighter for life!
Dark Duel

Thou speaketh the truth. As much as I despite Alberto(slimy, arrogant fop...like Yuna Roma Seiran, only obese and not funny), both Wataru Takagi and J.B. Blanc do a perfect job of conveying just how much of a sleemo he is.

Amadi Akintunde

J-Lead wrote:
Kratos wrote:Also, Full Frontal. Holy ZOINKS. I don't like all the English voice acting, but him alone makes me wanna watch it in English.
Luckily, Keith Silverstein did the best Micheal Kopsa impression he could muster, and while he's not on the money, he's better than Tom Edwards by a longshot.
I agree. Loved his Full Frontal.
smilydude

Same here. At first I was concerned about Full Frontal's voice when I heard Kopsa wasn't going to be returning. Needless to say I think he pulled off a near perfect performance.
NastyNate

This episode was worth the wait. It makes me want to get the action figures now! can't wait for my blueray to come in the mail and episode 3 for that matter.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
pk-man
Location: receiving faxes in the washroom, on Deck 9 aboard White Base

Overall a nice episode, but not as good as the first episode, imo. albeit only slightly. There were some OYW references such as Sinanju going 3 times the speed, a sign called "Black Three Stars" in side 6, and the beam magnum having the same sfx as RX-78's beam rifle.
J-Lead

pk-man wrote:There were some OYW references such as Sinanju going 3 times the speed, a sign called "Black Three Stars" in side 6, and the beam magnum having the same sfx as RX-78's beam rifle.

Spoiler
Isn't there already a team of Jestas aboard the Ra Cailum named the Black Tri Stars?
That bar actually seemed a bit too conspicuous as an homage, considering there's already a BTS team thats exist as part of the story. I know Unicorn is one big Universal Century circle jerk (wouldn't have it any other way) and that these homages are all in good fun, but I just hope they don't become any more obvious/pretentious than they are now. :|

Also, that beam rifle SFX is pretty common in Gundam, hardly a telltale trait of the RX-78-2 alone. It didn't stand out to me that much.
NastyNate

I too noticed the beam rifle being a through back to the Rx-78-2. But not just in a way the sound it made. To me it was the fact of the shear power behind it. The Rx-78-2's beam riffle was the most powerful gun on the market and when Banager took out that mobile suit by just grazing it realy made that look come back to the Gundam. This is just how I want it. I can't stand how shows like seed have little pewny beam shots going around that don't kill with one shot. If you have a gundam it should strike fear in the hearts of its enemys, and if it hits you. You are dead. Which is how the original rx-78-2 was and the wing gundam was.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
pk-man
Location: receiving faxes in the washroom, on Deck 9 aboard White Base

J-Lead wrote:
Also, that beam rifle SFX is pretty common in Gundam, hardly a telltale trait of the RX-78-2 alone. It didn't stand out to me that much.
Pretty much all the lead Gundams have their own unique sfx for the beam rifles. Even grunt suits have different sfx.
Red Comet90

NastyNate wrote:I too noticed the beam rifle being a through back to the Rx-78-2. But not just in a way the sound it made. To me it was the fact of the shear power behind it. The Rx-78-2's beam riffle was the most powerful gun on the market and when Banager took out that mobile suit by just grazing it realy made that look come back to the Gundam. This is just how I want it. I can't stand how shows like seed have little pewny beam shots going around that don't kill with one shot. If you have a gundam it should strike fear in the hearts of its enemys, and if it hits you. You are dead. Which is how the original rx-78-2 was and the wing gundam was.
Yeah I noticed this too and I was surprised by how much the Unicorn parallels the RX-78 in more than one way. One of my friends who doesn't care about Gundam anymore saw a few scenes and said that the Unicorn reminded him of the original design. Also how it held the Beam Magnum was similar to how the RX-78 held its Beam Rifle which I thought was rather interesting that its so similar.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn