Why is Gundam unpoular in the US?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
HellCat

Re: Why is Gundam unpoular in the US?

So when I'm 33 we might start to see something positive for Gundam internationally? Hot diggity damn!

*waits*

*waits*

*waits*

*checks watch*

*waits*

You know, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's amused that a franchise which claims nostalgia is bad and that new ideas should be cultivated is owned by folks who have a mantra of 'Hey kid, wanna buy a Zaku?'.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
krullnar

AmuroNT1 wrote:That's one thing that I find extremely galling - Bandai is perfectly willing to recycle poor games (like taking the mediocre Seed PS2 game to make Battle Assault 3), but they aren't willing to use the resources they have. The ACE engine would be perfect for a Gundam game, and yet...
Yeah I have ACE 3 and that's an amazing game why can't they bring ACE over to the states it couldn't do any worse then AC.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Wingnut

krullnar wrote:Yeah I have ACE 3 and that's an amazing game why can't they bring ACE over to the states it couldn't do any worse then AC.
Same reason that the non-OG SRW games aren't: licensing issues and expense.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
foxpaws

When does Harmony Gold's racket... er, license to Macross expire?

-- Keith
krullnar

I thought it already did adv had it for a while but then they went belly up so who knows who has it now?
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
JEFFPIATT

no they are still master lincence holder in the us for the three shows of robotech. they issues the rights to other distro houses to sell the dvd sets.
krullnar

Then what about the redub of macross? No were on the box is there a harmony gold logo.
VF5SS

This is a common misconception, but the people who distribute anime in American generally DO NOT receive merchandising rights. The issues regarding most SRW games go back to the original rights holders in Japan, many of whom do not want to do business in America.
JEFFPIATT

krullnar wrote:Then what about the redub of macross? No were on the box is there a harmony gold logo.
http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93
The current box has the logo on it. adv did not seem to to it on there dubbed sets.
this is HG's response to there ownership robotech has a power rangers style deal Harmony gold owns the worldwide rights while Tatsunoko Studios has the domestic rights foe the three shows.
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/faq/v ... n.php?id=9
VF5SS

Tatsunoko does not have domestic rights to Macross and does not have all the rights to Southern Cross. Big West owns a piece of that pie.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

I remember walking into Target 9 years ago and seeing the slew of Gundam toys they had, man what I would give for that to happen again...
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
Furious Rodimus

Hi_Nu_Gundam wrote:I remember walking into Target 9 years ago and seeing the slew of Gundam toys they had, man what I would give for that to happen again...
I almost do, except for the fact the majority were ones that I had no interest in. Although it was sweet getting the Wing kits at Wal-Mart.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!