New Season Anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
wm4

Re: New Season Anime

The first episode of "Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini" is quite good. For me,
a really shocking start not because of the explosions and packed actions, but that the
world changes a lot even in the eyes of a little girl, and some inevitable problems the
people have to face regarding the "Contractors" - the problems that cannot resolve just
by saying love-and-peace-and-happy-together like treating the Types in Gundam Seeds.

(For me, the show would be better without Nana Mitsuki, but it is also inevitable.
:D :D )
krullnar

Since it hasn't been said yet Fairy Tale anime first ep is in two days.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Destiny_Gundam

Eh, frankly, Fair Tale looks like a One Piece rip off to me. I have no interest in it.

I've watched a few more shows that I can give my thoughts on.

Kobato. - It's CLAMP. This fact will either turn you off completely, or make you run out and watch it immediately. I fall more into the latter category. I love CLAMP, even if Tsubasa got really convoluted at the end there. Kobato, though, doesn't deal with some epic cross dimensional quest. It's about a girl who has to fill a bottle by helping broken hearts. Once she does, she'll be able to fulfil her wish of going to a certain place. But first she has to fit in with human society. Not an easy task for such a clutz, but she has a foul mouthed stuffed dog to help her. And by help I mean yell and breathe fire at her. It's more light and fluffy than anything else, but sometimes that's all you want from a show.

Kimi ni Todoke - This season's shoujo entry. It's about a quiet girl named Sawako who is often mistaken for Sadako (girl from The Ring). But thanks to Kazehaya, a guy in her class who is '100% refereshing', she begins to open up. As you can imagine from a shoujo title, the rest of the series will undoubtedly focus on their relationship. It's a nice little show with pretty visuals and some good laughs.

Darker than Black 2 - It's finally here! And boy, does it deliver! This is the MUST WATCH show of the season. It sets a happy mood at first, focusing on the cheery Suou and her daily life. Her school life is nice and enjoyable, but her home life involves a brother who is a contractor, and a father who studies him. But Suou manages to remain cheerful, and she's instantly likable. But DTB has always been about breaking the cutie, and her life is turned up side down when her best friend becomes a contractor, and the army comes to storm her father's lab. She escapes with some help from April (who you'll remember from the first series). It isn't until the end of the episode when Hei makes his appearence. He quickly reminds us all why you don't mess with BK-201. He seems to be a villain this time around, but only time will tell what the truth is.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Eh, frankly, Fair Tale looks like a One Piece rip off to me. I have no interest in it.
For someone who is so forgiving of everything and watches so many bad things, this is surprisingly judgmental of you. Aside from the character designs, Fairy Tail and One Piece are no more alike than any other two shonen action shows. Although Fairy Tail is a bit different from other shonen shows, since technically the girl is the main character...
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

I didn't say I thought it was going to be bad or anything, I just said I have no interest in watching it. Besides, the way it's being streamed, I don't think I could anyways.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I didn't say I thought it was going to be bad or anything, I just said I have no interest in watching it. Besides, the way it's being streamed, I don't think I could anyways.
Well, generally when you look at something at a glance, decide that it looks like a ripoff of something else, and say you have no interest in watching it, that would say you think it's bad, or at least don't think very highly of it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

It's hard to think highly or poorly of something I've never seen *shrug*. I looked at the first few chapters of the manga, and while it did get a few chuckles, I didn't see a reason to stick around for 200+ chapters of a usual shonen epic. If a friend gave me all the episodes and told me to watch it, I probably would, but I wouldn't purposely seek it out myself otherwise.
krullnar

Well the creator of fairytail was if i remember correctly before the Rave took off was an assistant on one piece. That could be why the style is similar to one piece.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Ryujin

Even though Cecily's form-fitting breastplate irks me on a practical level, I've been finding The Sacred Blacksmith pretty entertaining, in part because the staff has been doing a bit of research on the various blades' appearances. The claymore had the distinctive diagonal quillons, the bollock dagger featured a prominent pair of 'family jewels,' and the serpentine 2-hander the loli princess used was similar to those used by some Imperial Doppelsoldners. Even the rhomphaia was sharpened on the concave side. All the show needs now is a character named 'Oakeshott' talking about pattern-welded blades. The depiction of the katana's qualities are rather excessive and over-romanticized, but at least it's balanced a bit by how they end up broken or destroyed just about every time Luke uses one. Also, it's pointed out that much of the blade's strength lies in its being forged, rather than being cast in a mold (which is generally true of most any blade).

DTB 2 has been entertaining as well, with, so far, a much tighter, continuous-running plot compared to the original. It also helps that, even with the serious atmosphere, the writers still manage to make room for healthy doses of humor from time to time. I just kinda wished that Mao had kept his season 1 body, and it's a wonder that Suou doesn't break her collarbone (or even wince, or get a bruise!) every time she fires the PTRD with buttstock to shoulder. I'll just presume that this is part of her Contractor powers.

Queen's Blade 2...Queen Aldra reminds me a lot of G Gundam's Wong, only more deliciously manipulative & malevolent. It doesn't hurt either that she's got martial skills up the wazoo (and is definitely muuuch more easier on the eyes than Wong). Echidna, meanwhile, is as entertainingly full of double-entendres & suggestive hints as ever. And Nanael is even more self-centered & self-serving than before...which usually backfires on her in some manner. Then again, she isn't exactly the brightest of the bunch. Oh well, at least she doesn't go to the same lengths as Ymir.
Zeonista

My picks for the season, thus far:

Asura Cryin' 2: It's good to see that Tomino-sama has heirs in the bloody angsfest story department. Female cast much fun as well. :wink:

Sacred Blacksmith: Fun little fantasy series, definitely a new take on the Sword Of Power, elf-tan love, and somebody in manga has finally figured out that European swords come in more than 1 style.

Kimi no Todake: Those kids are so darn cute, whether in WAFF mode or angst mode.

To Aru Majitsu No Railgun: I wasn't that much of an Index fan, but this connector series is fun, and actually is being a good sequel by filling out the show's world a little.

Kampfer: I bet every UC fan has watched at least 1 episode because of the title. :P Definitely fluff, but very agreeable fluff, with hints of a real story soon to emerge. Female cast also much fun. :wink:

Fairy Tale: the creator of One Piece tips his hat to the Slayers-style fantasy adventure story. Nothing heavy, just a lot of fun.

The Secret of Nogizaka Haruka: Season 2 still as much fluffy fun as the first season, plus added fan service! (The first season got along fine without the extra fan service, but who's complaining?) Yuuta and Haruka are still the cutest couple in anime right now.

Kobato: Magical girl story with a few twists on the standard formula. I like it, even if it is because I am more empathic with Ioryoogi than the Pollyanna heroine! :lol:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
krullnar

I also just started watching Sasame Koto its very funny with a side helping of yuri.
And I finally got around to watching season 1 of DTB because every has been saying how great it is and I'd have to agree its great and season 2 is turning out to be very enjoyable as well. I'm also loving Sora no otoshimono ~Flying Pantsu~
Destiny_Gundam

I'm on a Nyan Koi kick right now. This show is so funny and enjoyable. A must watch.
VentZX

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I'm on a Nyan Koi kick right now. This show is so funny and enjoyable. A must watch.
Agreed. At first, I was hesitant, but damn, the show hit its stride in episode four and hasn't slowed down yet.

Other stuff I've been watching:

-Sacred Blacksmith: Pretty decent action, some cute girls, pretty enjoyable.
-Kimi ni Todoke: An incredibly sweet romance/drama. really, I didn't think I'd like this so much.
-Seitokai no Ichizon: A very funny student council. You gotta love how the main character is actively shooting for the harem end.
-Kampfer: yep, it's a guilty pleasure. Still, can be funny.
-Sora no Otoshimono: *sigh* It's hard to admit that I love this show. It is a shameless ecchi show, but it's got humor going for it.

I think that's it. This season has turned out more enjoyable than I thought.
quasadra

so from the last few post, this season is focus on funny? i am only following Haruka, Kimi ni Todoke and DTB 2. but thats just because anime watching have taken a back seat now that Modern Warfare and Assasin is on the horizon. :P
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Zeonista

quasadra wrote:so from the last few post, this season is focus on funny? i am only following Haruka, Kimi ni Todoke and DTB 2. but thats just because anime watching have taken a back seat now that Modern Warfare and Assasin is on the horizon. :P
This current season of anime is really going for the funny, or light-hearted anime overall. A few friends of mine have commented on this, and all I can do is shrug. Some seasons have a lot of drama, some don't. some anime can start out light, then switch to serious in an eyeblink when the main story arrives. If you want serious right now, watch Asura Cryin'. Despite the otaku pandering and the random funny bits, the story is a stone serious mystery, unpeeling like an onion, and nobody gets anything for free. There is an anime based on a popular S. Korean TV drama that has just become available, but I haven't seen that one yet, so I can't recommend it.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
quasadra

i have watch the first part of Asura Cryin. it left a massive cliffhanger. i will watch it... eventually...
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Flame-X

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I'm on a Nyan Koi kick right now. This show is so funny and enjoyable. A must watch.
I'm so lovin that show and damn the OP song is so catchy. :D
Dantev8

I was looking on the web (and yes completely offtopic and I'm sorry about that) what anime is this picture from? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... l.jpg/sr=1
Amion

Sacred Sword sounds promising. I don't hear much about medieval anime, which with a bit of tweaking could come off pretty well I think. still looking for "The One" that will replace Bleach or Naruto once they come to their respective ends. Maybe Fairy Tail, which is pretty good, although for it to reach the level of Bleach or Naruto, it must become more serious to draw in the crowds I think.

Then again, this season does seem to be focusing on the funny and not the drama.

Ah, if only I actually had the time to check out more anime, but unfortunately I've got a life outside the wacky world of anime... :(
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.