Any Gundam anime, manga, or novel of 0079 discussion thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
fullupneon

Any Gundam anime, manga, or novel of 0079 discussion thread

This is a thread for all of us to discuss different topics pertaining to the Gundam products that deals with UC 0079.

A. I was pleasantly surprised to see a frame of the Thoroughbread (SP?) in Gundam: Soldiers of Sorrow. Did Tomino plan on giving more influence to the Thoroughbread in alter Gundam works?

B. Why did the pilots of the Trojan Horse wear different normal suits (Amuro had a white one, Sayla had a yellow one, and Sleggar had a blue one)?

C. Why didn't the Zeon ever bother to launch a surprise counterattack on Luna II when Char knew perfectly well that a gigantic Federation fleet was traveling to Luna II?

I think thats a decent number of questions to get this thread started.
Glory to the Brodie Empire!

Jun Jion!
mcred23

Re: Any Gundam anime, manga, or novel of 0079 discussion thread

fullupneon wrote:A. I was pleasantly surprised to see a frame of the Thoroughbread (SP?) in Gundam: Soldiers of Sorrow. Did Tomino plan on giving more influence to the Thoroughbread in alter Gundam works?
Not at all. At the time, it was just yet another random thing in the background and little more. It only became the Thoroughbred in later sources (MSV?), and I don't think Tomino gave much thought them (Or ever) about unrelated works (Nevermind stuff that isn't animated).
fullupneon wrote:B. Why did the pilots of the Trojan Horse wear different normal suits (Amuro had a white one, Sayla had a yellow one, and Sleggar had a blue one)?
Why individual pilots have special pilot suits is never really explained (For any pilots, as it's something that continues in later works), they simply do. Sayla's non standard yellow pilot suit is never really seen again, but we do see other white ones (Shiro has one in 08th MS, Kou and Keith have them in 0083) and blue ones (A pilot in 08th has one, I think they show up in a few other places) so while those two aren't as common as the standard issue lemon yellow of the time, they aren't unique.
fullupneon wrote:C. Why didn't the Zeon ever bother to launch a surprise counterattack on Luna II when Char knew perfectly well that a gigantic Federation fleet was traveling to Luna II?
Which instance are you referring to? Prior to some battle or something?
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
manmiles

fullupneon wrote:B. Why did the pilots of the Trojan Horse wear different normal suits (Amuro had a white one, Sayla had a yellow one, and Sleggar had a blue one)?
Well, if you watch the opening credits, Amuro is wearing a very nifty blue number. Maybe it's some kind of bizarre rank system. Or maybe, outside of the actual story, an easy way to differentiate your main character from other space-suited mooks.
J-Lead

I always figured the white pilot suit was an out-of-universe way of denoting a Federation protagonist or otherwise important (usually young) character. Amuro has one, Shiro's got one, Yuu's got one, Agar's got one, Kou's got one (although Keith sports one as well,) and even Hughes has an "updated" version of it, much like Igloo's new take on the Zeon pilot suit. Christina has a special white pilot suit that identifies her as the Alex's curret pilot. The trend even continues throughout Zeta and ZZ Gundam with Kamille and Judau, and so on.

As for an in-universe explanation for the different-colored pilot suits, I have no idea. Sure as hell has nothing to do with rank, since people of many different ranks have been seen to use varying pilot suits.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Lans

It's likely to be preference. Rookies have white probably because it's the Federation standard issue for pilot suit. Maybe it's just a big coincidence since most Gundam heroes are rookies at the start, so they ended up with white suit. South Burning use coal grey space suit, Katz use dark green, Cammile use white, Quattro/ Char use pink, Rosamia use blue-greenish, while Jerid's Lila use pink-ish although she's in Titans. Lots have use orange, Emma, Appoly, the other guy in Rick Dias (Roberto), Faa, etc even Cammile use orange when he gundamjack Mk II.

The last scene in Z new translation movie 3 showed that Cammile used his reserve helmet (since his white is broken). The reserve helmet is orange, the same colour with Faa's helmet and pilot suit. Again I’m quite confidence that this is just preference and whether it is available onboard. It's likely that in AEUG the standard issue is orange, while in UC it's the standard white. They got ranks insignia on their shoulder anyway to differentiate between ranks.

One thing for sure it's not about rank. If it's about rank then we got a problem since lots of people including Emma and Faa use orange while Cammile use white. Does it mean Cammile is lower than Emma? but then it means that he's lower than Faa which doesn't make sense. If Cammile white is higher than he's more superior in ranks than most old-timer like Appoly and Roberto that also use orange.
manmiles

Maybe it could just be something really, really simple that whoever supplies these ships with normal suits only ever has about three white ones and a ton of orange and it all operates on a first-come, first-serve policy. :P

Of course, Slegger's suit (which, if I recall has a stylised 'S' on the helmet) is probably from his previous ship, while Char ALWAYS demands red and no-where dares tell Char 'sorry, we're out of red normal suits, do you want this green number?'
Lans

So we knew that in Zeta most are happy to use the stock issue orange pilot suit, but Cammile is such a mischievous boy that he demanded white colour. Katz is already troublemaker from the start so it's understandable that he wanted different colour, ended up with green. Char is still Char, no matter what he'll do the same, he won't be happy unless it is red-ish. :P
manmiles

lans* wrote:So we knew that in Zeta most are happy to use the stock issue orange pilot suit, but Cammile is such a mischievous boy that he demanded white colour. Katz is already troublemaker from the start so it's understandable that he wanted different colour, ended up with green. Char is still Char, no matter what he'll do the same, he won't be happy unless it is red-ish. :P
Didn't Katz had his green suit from when he first went into space with Char? So maybe it's a civillian-issue or military surplus from Karaba/Kalaba... Hayato's guys on Earth.

Plus, Katz thought he was the main character.
fullupneon

As for Luna II, I was referring to early December, 0079 when the Federation was preparing for the Battle of Solomon.
Glory to the Brodie Empire!

Jun Jion!
Oruma

Sleggar's blue pilot suit may be denoting the fact that he used to be a (space) fightercraft pilot?
As for a certain Quattro V, can you imagine him not with a red/pink but gold pilot suit? :lol:
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
mcred23

J-Lead wrote:I always figured the white pilot suit was an out-of-universe way of denoting a Federation protagonist or otherwise important (usually young) character.
Yeah, I always assumed the same thing.
lans* wrote:Rookies have white probably because it's the Federation standard issue for pilot suit. Maybe it's just a big coincidence since most Gundam heroes are rookies at the start, so they ended up with white suit.
Actually, no. The standard issue pilot suit for the Federation is yellow (Described as "lemon yellow" a few times in the MSG novels), and although they do switch colors a few times (In the Gryps War, the EFF pilots use a blue pilot suit, then they go back to yellow for CCA, while by F91, they are using a green-grey scheme), white is never the standard color.
lans* wrote:South Burning use coal grey space suit, Katz use dark green, Cammile use white, Quattro/ Char use pink, Rosamia use blue-greenish, while Jerid's Lila use pink-ish although she's in Titans. Lots have use orange, Emma, Appoly, the other guy in Rick Dias (Roberto), Faa, etc even Cammile use orange when he gundamjack Mk II.

The last scene in Z new translation movie 3 showed that Cammile used his reserve helmet (since his white is broken). The reserve helmet is orange, the same colour with Faa's helmet and pilot suit. Again I’m quite confidence that this is just preference and whether it is available onboard. It's likely that in AEUG the standard issue is orange, while in UC it's the standard white. They got ranks insignia on their shoulder anyway to differentiate between ranks.
Kamille is another example of the main character using a non-standard color (In this case, it is again white, which seems to be most common for the hero), while Emma, Appoly, Roberto, and Fa all use the AEUG standard yellow color (At least, it's always looked more like yellow than orange to me). The rank tabs on their collars are nothing new either. IIRC, they were also there in the OYW and are still there in CCA, although I think they do move to the shoulders by F91 (Of course, F91's pilot suits are drastically different from the other designs).

Basically, as mentioned before, there really is no explination as to why some people, notably heros, get special colored pilot suits. Rank has nothing to do with it, nor does a lack of supply (Although Kamille does wear a yellow pilot suit once) or anything like that. Saying it is because they are in some special mobile suit and thus they may have a choice might be a reason, although this doesn't sound very good for some pilots (Keith's white pilot suit basically ruins any attempt to provide a reason). Basically, it's random. :|
fullupneon wrote:As for Luna II, I was referring to early December, 0079 when the Federation was preparing for the Battle of Solomon.
Do they even go to Luna II? Checking on Mark's Timeline, I didn't find any mention, nor do I recall any mention of the main Federation fleet heading to Luna II at any point prior to the attack on Solomon.

But in any event, why didn't Zeon attack them? Probably because they didn't want to take on the main Federation fleet since they didn't know where it was heading. Even if they somehow knew where the main EFSF fleet was, they didn't know if it was heading to Solomon or Granada, and probably didn't want to strip ships from those (And other locations) to make an attempt on the massive EFSF main fleet.
Oruma wrote:Sleggar's blue pilot suit may be denoting the fact that he used to be a (space) fightercraft pilot?
Maybe (Although I forget if Sleggar actually was a fighter pilot before :roll:). There are a few cases of EFAF pilots wearing blue pilot suits, but yellow still seems to be the most common, so perhaps the blue pilots are the sole example of the color actually meaning something (What? I haven't a freakin' clue! :mrgreen:).

Fritz Ashlyn

lans* wrote:...Lila use pink-ish although she's in Titans.
Lila is an EFSF pilot that for some reason has a custom red uniform, and a pink normal suit with a Titans logo on the sleeve. The Bosnia is a Federal Salamis Kai, which is why her captain Chan Ya is in a tan uniform. It's kinda like Buran Blutarch wearing a Titans uniform when he's still a Federation officer I guess.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Duo Himura

Well, in Kamille's case, wasn't he never officially given a rank? That might have something to do with his white pilot suit. It makes very little sense, but I mean, technically the extra normal suits on the Argama are usually white, though they are also more bulky, so *shrugs*.

The AEUG were pretty loose about uniforms anyway, really. Like, Quattro and Henken both wear sleeveless vests (though Henken has something else on over his arms), and maybe the bridge crews, but other than that pretty much everyone seems to have just normal clothes.

But yeah, the white pilot suits are probably just to differentiate the protagonist. Loran's is perhaps the one instance that really makes sense because it was found with the Turn-A, or with its stash of weapons or something like that.

Or maybe they're just all painted or whatever according to personal preference. Gundam militaries seem to not care much if someone wants to recolor a mobile suit, generally speaking, and that's a much more involved process.
So if red makes a mobile suit three times faster, what color do you have to paint it for it to be just a love machine?
Red Comet90

Duo Himura wrote:The AEUG were pretty loose about uniforms anyway, really. Like, Quattro and Henken both wear sleeveless vests (though Henken has something else on over his arms), and maybe the bridge crews, but other than that pretty much everyone seems to have just normal clothes.
Actually the sleeveless vest is the uniform for the AEUG IIRC. Fa and Emma both wear the female version of it while Henken and Quattro seem to wear the male version. It does stand that they were pretty slack about the uniform since Bright kept his Federation uniform on even into the First Neo Zeon War. Judau and Co. also just wear normal clothes for some reason.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Lans

mcred23 wrote:Basically, it's random. :|
Statistically speaking it can’t be a random. Looking at the fact that almost all UC Gundam heroes uses white suits. That's almost 100 % value. While not all person using white (Keith) is the main hero, but all hero uses white. There's no way it's a random, red. If it's a random then supposedly there should be equally distribution of gundam hero/ main character that use various different colour while piloting his Gundam.

OFC, out of universe is rather definite. It's just the way they showed who's the hero/good guy. Probably the same issue with the bad guy using mono-eyed MS and stuff. However, if we're talking about in-universe answer then pilot's preference of colour is the most reasonable explanation.
mcred23

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:Lila is an EFSF pilot that for some reason has a custom red uniform, and a pink normal suit with a Titans logo on the sleeve. The Bosnia is a Federal Salamis Kai, which is why her captain Chan Ya is in a tan uniform. It's kinda like Buran Blutarch wearing a Titans uniform when he's still a Federation officer I guess.
Yeah, they are EFSF when the first show up. I forget if Lila had the Titans logo then, but eventually, by the time they get to Colony 30, they are brought into the Titans and I know she had tha patch by then (And her wingmen are in the dark colored Titans pilot suits).
lans* wrote:Statistically speaking it can’t be a random. Looking at the fact that almost all UC Gundam heroes uses white suits. That's almost 100 % value. While not all person using white (Keith) is the main hero, but all hero uses white. There's no way it's a random, red. If it's a random then supposedly there should be equally distribution of gundam hero/ main character that use various different colour while piloting his Gundam.

OFC, out of universe is rather definite. It's just the way they showed who's the hero/good guy. Probably the same issue with the bad guy using mono-eyed MS and stuff. However, if we're talking about in-universe answer then pilot's preference of colour is the most reasonable explanation.
I was speaking in terms of in-universe. There, it is random, because, by some quirk, the hero always ends up with a white pilot suit. Preference does work, but it's very shallow explanation IMO (They all wanted a white pilot suit?) and doesn't really work in some cases (Shiro has his from long before he really does anything special, so why would he even have a choice?). It just ends up that somehow, they all end up with a white pilot suit, even though they are all in very different situations.

Out-of-universe, however, you are correct. Like J-Lead, Duo Himura, and myself said before you, it's an easy way of showing who the protagonist is to the viewer (Keith being the only obvious exception to that rule that comes to mind, but he is still on the side of the hero). However, there is no apparent in-universe way to explain how and why they all end up with white pilot suits while others around them often end up with standard issue suits.

Resident of GMT-5

Dunno if this is the right place to ask this..

But i just gotta know.

I've played GBC, GBU, and sd g generation portable. And Yuu Kajima is in those games. What confused me is why did Yuu didn't talk at all in those games? i mean, it's logical (not like most pilots, where they scream with frustration inside the cockpit), but it kinda bothers me. So, after completing those games, i played sd gundam g generation spirits. Now, i thought he will be the only mute character in a fully dubbed game, but he spoke!. What the heck?
VF5SS

Yuu Kajima not speaking in some of the G-Gen games is sort of a joke about how he never speaks in the Blue Destiny games for Sega Saturn. The reason for this is because in those game you (the player) are Yuu. Its the same deal with Master P. Layer from Rise from the Ashes although I think he started speaking before Yuu did.
Resident of GMT-5

VF5SS wrote:Yuu Kajima not speaking in some of the G-Gen games is sort of a joke about how he never speaks in the Blue Destiny games for Sega Saturn. The reason for this is because in those game you (the player) are Yuu. Its the same deal with Master P. Layer from Rise from the Ashes although I think he started speaking before Yuu did.
Well yeah, i know that it's an intended pun, but i guess they really don't want any mute characters in a fully dubbed games :D . Thanks for the reply tho' .
Iron_spear

It's origin so it's relation to the animated continuity is suspect but in the manga Ryu refers to Amuro's silver pilot suit as a "new model". Maybe it is just a coincidence and white pilot suits are simply low in supply?

What I want to know is at what rank do you lose the skintight white spandex and start wearing beige pants.