Improving G Gundam, and how to handle a continuation

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Improving G Gundam, and how to handle a continuation

**This topic is not claiming that there will be new G Gundam animation!!

I know G Gundam happens to be well-received in general around here. And all of you must know by now that I'm a bit of a martial arts enthusiast along with being a devoted Gundam fan, so G Gundam must be absolutely perfect for me, right?? I'll agree and say that I do like G Gundam very much, though I didn't always. My story is a bit weird, as I've only watched the show once, but my opinion of the show has drastically changed from annoyed facepalms to tearful roars of awesome. Still, that doesn't exactly fix those things about G Gundam that I found to be bad, or thought could be handled better.

Was there anything about G Gundam that you felt wasn't particularly good, or could have been done better? I know any sort of sequel is impossible at this point, but how do you think a project like that could be handled? What would you personally do to make it good? I have already formulated my own thoughts, but I will be polite and wait for others to share first.

I know another topic was started in a similar vein some months ago by someone else, but hopefully with a bit more focus and direction, this topic will be able to continue in a productive discussion.

While this topic is open, I would like for someone to find the full text for Domon and Master Asia's mantra. I would like to know what the translation of it means exactly, and what sort of meaning it has to their style of martial arts.

And before we get started, this is the ONE and ONLY way to possibly make G Gundam more awesome than it already is.

=)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mark064

Re: Improving G Gundam, and how to handle a continuation

While I could comment on a lot more I'll leave my comment simply on the thought of a sequel. The problem is the kind of format of the Gundam Fight. Say Gundam Fight 14 what do you do besides the Gundam Fight? Have another super Gundam show up to fight against the main character? But really that'd be the same as G Gundam. It's hard to create a truly different experience with the same limiting format.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
ThaDDeusBonzu

One of the only things that really bugged me, is the one episode fights during the Gundam Fight Finals. They are just random opponents that you'll only see once or twice after wards, but Domon makes a big deal out of it. It's like, you just beat Satan in Gundam form, but you're scared of some huge guy with a hammer. And then at the end of the episode, he beats them, easily. It wasn't so bad at the beginning, because Domon was just starting out, but near the end it just starts to get ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, i love this show to death, as it's the first anime, nevermind Gundam, I ever sat down and watched. It's just that has always irked me.
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
Red Comet90

I have two problems with the show and one is more of a technological issue. The cockpit design works and at the same time doesn't make sense. I don't understand how Sai Sai Chi can make a backflip and fly backwards inside of the Dragon Gundam and not hit the back of the cockpit area.

As previously mentioned the sorta monster of the week format of the final battle was annoying at times with the random enemies and Mr. Wong saying "Bwahaha I'll get Domon this time." but at the same time I kinda enjoyed that since with the format they gave the Gundam fight you really couldn't do much else with it.

That was the funniest way to take one of the best death scenes and ruin it. :lol: As for a sequel it would be rather hard to do since as Mark said the Gundam fight format of the show constricts it to that format no matter what unless someone tried to break apart the Gundam fight and the Gundams had to all fight rather than continue the Gundam Fight.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
manmiles

Red Comet90 wrote:I have two problems with the show and one is more of a technological issue. The cockpit design works and at the same time doesn't make sense. I don't understand how Sai Sai Chi can make a backflip and fly backwards inside of the Dragon Gundam and not hit the back of the cockpit area.
Maybe the cockpits have a self-functioning gravity that keeps the pilot and the cockpit in an upright position, kind like the 360 cockpits of the Zeta-era and onwards UC Mechs.
Pickens

Red Comet90 wrote:I have two problems with the show and one is more of a technological issue. The cockpit design works and at the same time doesn't make sense. I don't understand how Sai Sai Chi can make a backflip and fly backwards inside of the Dragon Gundam and not hit the back of the cockpit area.
The problem here is that you're trying to make sense of G Gundam. That's against the rules. In fact, it's probably illegal somewhere. You should stop just to be safe.

Also, aren't there already sequels and prequels in the form of manga? If so, then there's really no way you can discuss a "possible" sequel if one already exists.
Red Comet90

manmiles wrote: Maybe the cockpits have a self-functioning gravity that keeps the pilot and the cockpit in an upright position, kind like the 360 cockpits of the Zeta-era and onwards UC Mechs.
There was a topic about this a few months ago on here and thats the only plausible solution that any of us could think of. There would be no other way and there is evidence for gravity control in G Gundam. The colonies themselves can't function unless they have some sort of artificial gravity or we would see the cities and people on the colonies float into space so the Gundams must incorporate this some how by creating gravity facing inwards from all directions towards the pilot and responding accordingly.
Pickens wrote:
The problem here is that you're trying to make sense of G Gundam. That's against the rules. In fact, it's probably illegal somewhere. You should stop just to be safe.
What you are saying is just silly because they actually do bother to explain some things in G Gundam and Gundam in general has for the most part provided answers. The only time it doesn't in G Gundam is when it comes to the actual martial arts and the combat,but thats because it isn't necessary to explain that. You either take it or leave it as it is and just because its doesn't make sense in the real world doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in its own context. Going back to the actual cockpit issue I think the gravity explanation is a lot more plausible than what they are discussing in Ez8's right to bear arms on the mecha and tech forum.
Pickens wrote: Also, aren't there already sequels and prequels in the form of manga? If so, then there's really no way you can discuss a "possible" sequel if one already exists.
I had totally forgotten about those. Don't everyone take my word for this but wasn't the sequel concerning the rise of the Devil Gundam again?

-- Haman Karn
ShadowCell

Either way, except for the manga, that's all mecha-related. So unless this topic is supposed to be about G Gundam's mecha--in which case I'll move it--it doesn't belong in this thread.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Before we continue, I would like to remind everyone of the extremely lengthy and laborious G Gundam technology topic we had a while ago. It pretty much covers everything one might wonder about the series, so please direct your attention there if you have any technology concerns.
I can tell when someone is joking, but I don't want to see any more of this. Obviously, someone has put some thought into something to try to make sense of it, and that by virtue alone makes it worthwhile to discuss. I don't want to see anyone try to "unthink" anyone else's ideas. It's a waste of your energy to break down thoughts that have already been made, and it's extremely detrimental to any sort of discussion we are trying to have.

And while I haven't read those books, since I'm sure access to them is near nonexistent, they do not make any sort of project "impossible". There is only conflict if a continuation happens to take place at the same time, or happens to use the same set of characters. Otherwise, anything would logically work. Pickens, please be more considerate of this discussion.

I'm well aware that what made G Gundam good was due entirely due to its director. It was originally meant to simply be a tournament series, but the director just pulled the main storyline out of his ass and did a good job of it. The problem is that the story he set up is completely closed/resolved by the end of the series. A point to discuss is how to have new animation in regard to that? A simple tournament without any extra plot to it would suck. You'd likely have to do something drastically different to make a sequel work. Can anyone figure something interesting? Or is there something you were curious about that was never discussed in the main series?

*ninja wounds, yay! =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
pd771

Seraphic wrote:I'm well aware that what made G Gundam good was due entirely due to its director. It was originally meant to simply be a tournament series, but the director just pulled the main storyline out of his ass and did a good job of it. The problem is that the story he set up is completely closed/resolved by the end of the series. A point to discuss is how to have new animation in regard to that? A simple tournament without any extra plot to it would suck. You'd likely have to do something drastically different to make a sequel work. Can anyone figure something interesting? Or is there something you were curious about that was never discussed in the main series?

*ninja wounds, yay! =o
One thing they never really resolved was how the Earth still so messed up from the Gundam fights, or the anger of the people on Earth towards the colonies. So you could do something like 25 years later, a new Gundam fight has begins. A terrorist group (or country who could not leave) on the Earth angry found remnants of the Devil Gundam and its technology, and used it to build a powerful army. During the tournament, they begin destroying the Gundam Fighter to make it easier to defeat the colonies. Domon see one such event, realizes what is happening, and brings together the old Shuffle alliance. They fight against the enemies, and realizing they can't handle the situation themselves, bring together a new group of Gundam Fighters to stop the group from destroying civilization.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
manmiles

Or just forsake the whole Devil Gundam storyline altogether. What if Earth formed an Army of Gundam Fighters loyal to Earth and decided they wern't going to let the Earth be used as the battleground for the Gundam-Fight? What would happen if the entire GundamFight premise failed and it started to descend to GundamWar?
pd771

manmiles wrote:Or just forsake the whole Devil Gundam storyline altogether. What if Earth formed an Army of Gundam Fighters loyal to Earth and decided they wern't going to let the Earth be used as the battleground for the Gundam-Fight? What would happen if the entire GundamFight premise failed and it started to descend to GundamWar?
The only problem I see with that is how is a group of Earth protestor going to get the materials and production facilities on the crappy G Gundam earth and secretly create an army. Plus this helps tie the stories together. And the main villains can used DG cell infused Mobile Fighters of the past, leading to interesting designs, which was a hallmark of the show. It can also bring Domon back into the fold, making him a mentor to a younger protagonist.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

manmiles

pd771 wrote:
manmiles wrote:Or just forsake the whole Devil Gundam storyline altogether. What if Earth formed an Army of Gundam Fighters loyal to Earth and decided they wern't going to let the Earth be used as the battleground for the Gundam-Fight? What would happen if the entire GundamFight premise failed and it started to descend to GundamWar?
The only problem I see with that is how is a group of Earth protestor going to get the materials and production facilities on the crappy G Gundam earth and secretly create an army. Plus this helps tie the stories together. And the main villains can used DG cell infused Mobile Fighters of the past, leading to interesting designs, which was a hallmark of the show. It can also bring Domon back into the fold, making him a mentor to a younger protagonist.
Hmm, perhaps they have all the old Devil Gundam Corp mecha hidden away and they reconfigure those. I dunno, secret conspiracy of people? I personally think that using the Devil Gundam as a major plot point wouldn't really work and would just seem like all those naff slasher sequels where Oh No, the monster isn't really dead!

Plus, it's G-Gundam, where the rules of common sense and Gundam's usual grasp of pseudo-realism are happily chucked out of the window in favour of kick-ass chop socky!
Mark064

Red Comet90 wrote:There was a topic about this a few months ago on here and thats the only plausible solution that any of us could think of. There would be no other way and there is evidence for gravity control in G Gundam. The colonies themselves can't function unless they have some sort of artificial gravity or we would see the cities and people on the colonies float into space so the Gundams must incorporate this some how by creating gravity facing inwards from all directions towards the pilot and responding accordingly.
I'm sure I posted this in the topic but I'll say it again. During the specials of G Gundam that aired prior to the TV show airing the director commented that the colonies of G Gundam used artifical gravity. In Gundam Wars IV: Fighting G we were given a timeline which gives a timeline on the creation of artifical gravity. Seeing that gravity control is a viable technology in G Gundam, that explains a lot right there.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
ShadowCell

What I'd like to know is what G Gundam did or didn't do that was so deficient that it necessitates improvement.
pd771

manmiles wrote:Hmm, perhaps they have all the old Devil Gundam Corp mecha hidden away and they reconfigure those. I dunno, secret conspiracy of people? I personally think that using the Devil Gundam as a major plot point wouldn't really work and would just seem like all those naff slasher sequels where Oh No, the monster isn't really dead!

Plus, it's G-Gundam, where the rules of common sense and Gundam's usual grasp of pseudo-realism are happily chucked out of the window in favour of kick-ass chop socky!
Well, I'm not saying that we need Devil Gundam Colony 2, I'm saying that they were able to use some bit they found to make their suits functional. It would give Domon a reason to come back, which would be nice as a mentor, like he needed. The only problem with my plan is obviously you have to nerf Domon some way, like some illness.
ShadowCell wrote:What I'd like to know is what G Gundam did or didn't do that was so deficient that it necessitates improvement.
I'm guessing that is not the point. It's more along the lines of "G Gundam is fun and different! I want to see more of it"

manmiles

ShadowCell wrote:What I'd like to know is what G Gundam did or didn't do that was so deficient that it necessitates improvement.
In my honest opinion, it doesn't need anything else. It's a perfect show. It might be nothing more than 'Gundam meets DBZ' but damn it, if it ain't one of the best things in the whole franchise.

And personally, I'd rather Imagawa gave us more Giant Robo than G-Gundam. G-Gundam isn't screaming out for a sequel, Giant Robo simply screams 'more'

pd771 wrote:Well, I'm not saying that we need Devil Gundam Colony 2, I'm saying that they were able to use some bit they found to make their suits functional. It would give Domon a reason to come back, which would be nice as a mentor, like he needed. The only problem with my plan is obviously you have to nerf Domon some way, like some illness.
Domon doesn't really need a nerfing, he just doesn't need to either have a main role or not be in the show at all. It's the Amuro/Kira-factor, does Domon only make a few sporadic appearences (maybe in flashback or he's decided to step away from the Gundam-fight altogether to run a ramen shop with Rain on Neo-America or something) or does he threaten to become the star of the show instead of the designated hero?

EDIT: Please use the Edit button instead of double-posting. It loves you. It needs you. You're breaking its heart.

~ShadowCell
Red Comet90

pd771 wrote:
manmiles wrote:Hmm, perhaps they have all the old Devil Gundam Corp mecha hidden away and they reconfigure those. I dunno, secret conspiracy of people? I personally think that using the Devil Gundam as a major plot point wouldn't really work and would just seem like all those naff slasher sequels where Oh No, the monster isn't really dead!

Well, I'm not saying that we need Devil Gundam Colony 2, I'm saying that they were able to use some bit they found to make their suits functional. It would give Domon a reason to come back, which would be nice as a mentor, like he needed. The only problem with my plan is obviously you have to nerf Domon some way, like some illness.
Why not just throw out the Devil Gundam entirely and just have the cells on their own. For example someone may have taken Dr. Kashu's work on the DG cells and implemented it so the DG cells could be used by humans on themselves as a way to become stronger and heal themselves rapidly. These DG cells though are not related to the Devil Gundam in any way but are based on the same theories as Dr. Kashu's.
I don't think it should be improved but they could explain some things but would these additions increase how awesome it already is? I doubt it. I would like to see some backstory on the original Schwartz before Kyoji took over his body and how Kyoji knew how to properly use the Shining Gundam's Super Mode? It was as if he knew how to use the suit without ever being its pilot.

-- Haman Karn
Pickens

If memory serves me correctly, the manga sequel is about finding Domon's successor for the 14th Gundam Fight. Before reading about the sequel, I had always envisioned something along those lines. It's really the most logical place you could take the story. Well, either that or writing something concerning Domon and Rain's children. Hell, it's possible that the manga deals with both of them. Having access to that manga would be pretty amazing, but alas it's lost to the ages like a lot of Gundam side stories.

Overall though, I think that it's best that G Gundam is left alone. It'd be pretty hard to replicate the things that made the show so great and still have it feeling fresh and different.
ThaDDeusBonzu

Red Comet90 wrote: Why not just throw out the Devil Gundam entirely and just have the cells on their own. For example someone may have taken Dr. Kashu's work on the DG cells and implemented it so the DG cells could be used by humans on themselves as a way to become stronger and heal themselves rapidly. These DG cells though are not related to the Devil Gundam in any way but are based on the same theories as Dr. Kashu's.
They wouldn't have had to go far. If you remember, at the ending of G, the skeletal corpse of the Dark Gundam was hanging over the earth, and since it was an extension of the Dark Gundam, it was made up of DG cells. All one would have to do is somehow reactivate said cells, and bring them under their control. Not to mention the hordes of wreckage in the Guyana Highlands from the Dark Army. They could probably rebuild them, and incorporate their newfound cells, although i don't think they would retain the triple properties of the Dark Gundam.
manmiles wrote:Domon doesn't really need a nerfing, he just doesn't need to either have a main role or not be in the show at all. It's the Amuro/Kira-factor, does Domon only make a few sporadic appearences (maybe in flashback or he's decided to step away from the Gundam-fight altogether to run a ramen shop with Rain on Neo-America or something) or does he threaten to become the star of the show instead of the designated hero?
he could probably play the mentor in this hypothtical sequel. Kinda like a psuedo Scwartz Bruder. Y'know, always being there, urging the Main character on, but never stealing the show like a certain other gundam character i could mention. cough jesus yamato cough
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK