What's Your Current Anime? Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk II

TetraVaal wrote:0080 episodes 4 and 5 were pretty good, but the overall ending kinda sucked. I didn't like how the final battle was like 3 or 4 minutes... with a build up like that, I was hoping for something a bit more climatic. I thought it was a nice touch how Chris killed Bernie, though... if only she knew that she offed him, heh. The series wasn't terrible by any means, but it's probably my least favorite of all the ones I've seen so far.
The ending "sucking" was kind of the whole point. :D It was supposed to punch you in the gut. It sounds like it was too down-to-earth for you maybe? (It certainly wasn't meant to be a sprawling action epic, though). If you'll indulge me, let me break down why it's generally highly regarded so you can see the other side. (Personally, I consider it the tightest-written and most emotionally powerful Gundam series that really shows you the costly nature of war up close and personal). Spoilers for those of you who haven't seen all of 0080 (hit Show to read):
Spoiler
You've got the Zeon Cyclops Team basically given an impossible mission that they're doomed, perhaps even setup, to fail in. (Whose leader knows deep down the war is over and lost). You've got Al, who thinks of war as a game and desires its escapism (and even its vindictive/destructive subtexts) to get past his broken family. You've got Chris, who Al trusts as a big sister, but who hides the fact that she is a Gundam test pilot. You've got Bernie, a rookie softy who happens to be a soldier and hides his weakness behind a blowhard attitude. Moreover, Al sees Bernie as the big brother who will allow him to live out his idealized fantasies about war.

The series follows the daily lives of these individuals, and their bonding and growing understanding of one another, as they enter a brewing tragedy. Bernie and Chris have chemistry and are attracted to one another, and both care about Al, and vice-versa. When Bernie's team dies because of his failings, he is stripped of his blowhard mask, and reveals himself as a coward who wants to run away from it all, leaving Al in an impossible position--a kid who guiltily conspired with military enemies, whom nobody will believe, who is having his parents slowly reunite, but who is faced with the reality they will all die shortly from a nuclear attack. As Bernie is about to leave it all, he happens to overhear that phone call of a broken, scared relationship that abstractly mirrors his own situation, and he realizes he has to be brave, because he really has come to care about Al and the colony's fate. Even technologically inferior, he and Al work so hard to get ready to fight the Gundam, not realizing that Chris is the pilot.

When the moment comes, Al learns that Bernie doesn't have to fight--that he could have left--because the nuclear attack has been foiled. He tries with all his might to stop Bernie from his fight--a fight that he doesn't know is between his two best friends. Bernie does a heck of a job in a clever and desperate fight between two main characters, but ultimately loses (the fight isn't the point, but what the fight meant, how it resulted, and how it could have been avoided). Al sees the end of his friend's life before him. Then Al has to play back Bernie's last video--a powerful video that is meant to offer Al hope and understanding. In the end, Al talks with Chris, who doesn't know she has killed Bernie, and whom Al can't bear to share the truth about. (in fact, Al doesn't know that Chris killed Bernie). Instead, he offers Chris what Bernie would have wanted her to know.

Finally, Al sees that his wish to damage the city in his video game has come true, but it's not what he wanted. His friends tell him to get excited about another war, but he knows what war means now, and just has to cry to let it all out. It's beautiful. You combine that kind of emotional writing with well-developed, fun characters and three solid battles, alongside a few nice ambient fights, with unique mecha like the Hygogg, Kampher, GM Sniper II, Riah 35 Draken-E, and Gundam Alex, and this is one for the record books. To quote MAHQ Reviews on the finale: "In some anime, hundreds of people could die in one episode, and it's meaningless. In this series, one person dies, and it means everything. That is the sign of a good series." If you come in expecting a space action-epic, it probably doesn't work. But if you want a tragic human/character story that pulls the heartstrings (and not just for the sake of pulling heartstrings), there's none better that I've run across in anime. (This is the "civilian view" done right, whereas Gundam 00 more or less failed with the halfhearted/sappy Saji and Louise by comparison, IMO). Rewatching this series, knowing what's going to happen, it's even more heart-wrenching. With all that said, that's why it's in my top 2 or 3 Gundam series. Its ending still gets me to this day. Heh.

And I'll depart with the Toonami trailer 8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm1qbLF6CvU
TetraVaal wrote:yeah, I just finished episode 4 and I at least comend the writers for going more into Gato's interactions at the Zeon base and the intentions he has now that he's possessed the Gundam. I'd still like to see more of this, as well as the Fed ship members doing more than trying to one up one another, but I'll say the show itself got better with episode 4. So far, for what it lacks in great storytelling or memorable characters (with the exception of Gato), the show still features quality animation, good action sequences, and some pretty good music, too.
The enemy interactions will continue and expand. They are one of the redeeming highlights of this series beyond the great action and animation, IMO. The Feds get better, some more than others, but aren't necessarily super-inspiring.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
DuelGundam2099

The Mobile Suit Gundam SEED movie trilogy. Okay........ The first two movies felt rushed, they were good, but very, very rushed; more so with the first one. I guess it goes to show you that SEED makes a fantastic series, but not as good movies. The third movie though did much better and the final battle was just as awesome as I remembered it. 8) I'm going to be marathoning through the SEED Destiny movies shortly, since they're four movies the editing problem shouldn't be as bad; the main question here being does the best gundam series give the best compilation movies? Only one way to find out.

On another note I started watching Metal Armor Dragonar last night and am up to episode 7 currently. It's kind of like Double Zeta Gundam except less formulaic and better characters, although aside from the main three and Meios Plato the characters aren't rememberable thus far and the music is kind of bleh. Still has neat action scenes though and I like the metal armor designs. I do have to wonder why the main site doesn't list the Dragonar trio as part of the Gigalos Empire when they clearly state in each prologue they were stolen from them. :?
Wingnut

DuelGundam2099 wrote: I do have to wonder why the main site doesn't list the Dragonar trio as part of the Gigalos Empire when they clearly state in each prologue they were stolen from them. :?
Because we never saw them in Giganos hands. All three Dragonars were on the Idaho the first time we see them. Giganos did manufacture them, but they never got to actually use them. Thus they stay in the Earth Alliance listing.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Gundamfan

Well, I just finished Gunbuster and I gotta say it was a series that I liked. I enjoyed the character depth and all the drama. I definitely liked it better when Noriko got her confidence and started piloting the buster machine
Spoiler
She was definitely going to not pilot anything after Kazumi chose to not be her partner and Smith died and she couldn't do anything.
It was a surprise to me when I saw that the last episode was all(except for the credits) in black and white. It definitely felt different than watching the other episodes that were all color (As if I was watching a really long flashback). Anyway I'm probably going to watch GunBuster 2 (DieBuster) next and see how that compares to the original.
TetraVaal

ever since episode 5, 0083 has been getting better and better, I really liked the conclusion to episode 8 with
Spoiler
Lt. Burning getting the axe. He was actually one of the better characters right from the get go, and it's nice to see an important character killed off in an effective way.
So far it's pretty solid, got a lot better after the first three episodes, looking forward to hopefully concluding this series by tomorrow evening and then resuming Zeta.
LightningCount

So I'm through ep.4 and halfway through ep.5 of Xam'd: Lost Memories. Not bad at all. I thought the pacing might get into trouble given the overly whiny events of episode 3, but they've really done a good job of keeping things moving forward even in a time of personal development and training. It's not like Eureka 7, where getting used to "life on the ship" is a chore that gobbles up a considerable amount of episodes. Hopefully it'll keep up the good work and keep expanding for more narrative "punch." I really like the main character. Very balanced. Now, the story is still somewhat slow, but I see it building in a deliberate way now, and it's introducing just enough new, and developing and tying together characters and locations just enough, to make for effective storytelling in the long run. Time will tell. It does need to step it up more, but the fact that I'm starting to like incidental characters I started out hating says this has some skill of writing. Good, fresh dub, too.
TetraVaal wrote:ever since episode 5, 0083 has been getting better and better, I really liked the conclusion to episode 8 with
Spoiler
Lt. Burning getting the axe. He was actually one of the better characters right from the get go, and it's nice to see an important character killed off in an effective way.
So far it's pretty solid, got a lot better after the first three episodes, looking forward to hopefully concluding this series by tomorrow evening and then resuming Zeta.
That 0083 spoiler you noted gets mixed reactions around here. I liked it a lot myself, but I've heard others say it was too convenient and goofy in its timing. Really, I liked episodes 1 and 2 of 0083--it was #3 with the Monsha duel that killed the momentum for me. But it does recover, as you've seen.

Well, I guess I couldn't convince you with my earlier, lengthy 0080 break down in the spoiler tags, huh? :P (...or maybe you didn't see it)
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
nkande4208

well ive watched all UC era series but Im watching 08th ms team and 0083 again just cant get over how ba those two series are... by far the best of that era (thats just an opinion, dont take me as trolling or whatever that other thing is)

im on episode 10 or 08th and Im just at awe at the quality of this series in every other series its like you have the feeling that every character has to explain everything over and over but in 08th its like if it were a live action movie nothing about the script would change... and the attention to detail... its immaculate
TetraVaal

Well, I guess I couldn't convince you with my earlier, lengthy 0080 break down in the spoiler tags, huh? (...or maybe you didn't see it)
just read it now... I understand the whole concept of 0080 and what it aims for, but I think it suffers from only being six episodes. I was thinking to myself after watching it, that it probably would have had more of a lasting impact had it been fleshed out more and given an additional 7 episodes. I just don't think there was enough time for me tocare about Chris and the impact she has on Al's life... you don't see her enough. I thought Bernie was interesting, but he came off so one-dimensional... like your typical weakling pilot. As you pointed out a few days ago, Al's personality prevents him from being likeable at all, even despite being a kid. Oh, and as for the final battle... I didn't want it to be "epic" by any means, I just wanted something more suspensful, I wanted tension (I didn't feel that way til' the shot of
Spoiler
Al running out between the two mechs, trying to prevent Bernie from being killed.
). To give you an idea of the type of action I like... I am by no means someone who likes broadscale, glossy battles. If I can use my preference in action films to give you an idea, I hate glossy action like Transformers or anything by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich. I'm more into grounded stuff like RoboCop or District 9. Overall, I admire 0080 for what it wanted to be, but I disliked it for its lack of execution over the course of the series.
LightningCount

TetraVaal wrote:
Well, I guess I couldn't convince you with my earlier, lengthy 0080 break down in the spoiler tags, huh? (...or maybe you didn't see it)
just read it now... I understand the whole concept of 0080 and what it aims for, but I think it suffers from only being six episodes. I was thinking to myself after watching it, that it probably would have had more of a lasting impact had it been fleshed out more and given an additional 7 episodes. I just don't think there was enough time for me tocare about Chris and the impact she has on Al's life... you don't see her enough. I thought Bernie was interesting, but he came off so one-dimensional... like your typical weakling pilot. As you pointed out a few days ago, Al's personality prevents him from being likeable at all, even despite being a kid. Oh, and as for the final battle... I didn't want it to be "epic" by any means, I just wanted something more suspensful, I wanted tension (I didn't feel that way til' the shot of
Spoiler
Al running out between the two mechs, trying to prevent Bernie from being killed.
). To give you an idea of the type of action I like... I am by no means someone who likes broadscale, glossy battles. If I can use my preference in action films to give you an idea, I hate glossy action like Transformers or anything by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich. I'm more into grounded stuff like RoboCop or District 9. Overall, I admire 0080 for what it wanted to be, but I disliked it for its lack of execution over the course of the series.
Ok, I see where you're coming from. It's hard for me to say whether it would have benefited from another episode or not, really. I mean, it's ultimately a "literary short-story" broken into three neat parts marked off by it's three main battles
Spoiler
Cyclops Team vs. polar base, Cyclops Team vs. Gundam base, and Bernie vs. Gundam
. I like that it tried to make it condensed and not "overshoot." If it had one more, the tension of the nuclear attack and Bernie's duel might have been lessened (IE: less race against time). I felt it gave just enough in interactions and battles given the fates of the given characters.
Spoiler
With Chris, we got to see her in simulation and in two battles; have a night with Bernie, Al, and her parents where even subtle things like eye glances and parting words said a lot; and a few incidental encounters with Al, as well. It situated her in that middle position--not as important as Bernie, not distracting from Bernie and Al's bonding--but an important factor in the larger equation of condensed and tragic events. (And, hey, to your point, the action wasn't glossy here: Bernie's cockpit is cut through before he even dies [mid-battle] and he bleeds from it, and the Cyclops team gets mauled one way or another
). As for the one-dimensional thing, I think that this is a series that didn't need to excessively spell out its characters. Given their actions, you see their growth. Bernie overcomes his own shortcomings, even if reluctantly, to make a sacrifice. I do understand that it goes by very quickly, though. Sometimes short and sweet works out better, though. (there is a SEED side-story that is WAY too short, however). Anyway, I appreciate your honest thoughts, and I respect your opinion, but I just often think 0080 has the least flaws of any Gundam series because it knows what it wants to do and does it without wasting time. And the characters, more so than in any other series, just feel so "normal and believable," with their interactions "naturalistic."

This is overkill, but why I like some of the characters so much/find them memorable, despite them being more muted and non-"ace":
Spoiler
Al: A genuine look at a "kid." He thinks he understands things, but he doesn't. He acts out for attention. He's seeking an adventure. And through it all, he learns the truth about war that changes him forevermore.

Bernie: A very human young soldier. He has fears, but he also wants to prove himself, and so he hides those fears behind a facade of confidence and tall-tales. His interactions with Al and the events with the Cyclops Team tear his facade aside, bring forth his compassionate side, and force him to take responsibility headlong.

Christina: The girl-next-door who is grounded and wants to help. She is both strong and compassionate--capable in a fight, but protective and sensitive to Al's situation. Her basic person is so rounded that she's one of my favorite female Gundam characters. (Also, I love the fact in this series that if Chris and Bernie had met under different circumstances, they might have gotten together. In a sub-textual sort of way, it shows you very naturally how two sides in a war are really human underneath it, and ideologies and conflict scenarios warp normal human relationships; but that even then, love could blossom. Both Bernie and Chris had an underlying compassion that was against their duties).

Steiner: The Cyclops Team captain who is war-weary, but takes his work seriously--even in spite of the facts and his underlying personal feelings (as seen with his talk with the Zeon bartender-spy, Charlie).

Mikhail: A lovable, half-drunk blowhard who thinks he's the best pilot out there, but lets himself get caught off-guard when fighting Chris in the Alex.

Garcia: He seems like a total cutthroat, but in the end, you see that he is human by the way he ultimately becomes protective of Bernie.

Plus the English voice actors do one heck of a job delivering the natures of these characters.
And with that, I will have said my peace about 0080. 8)
Roche

I'm rewatching Gundam Wing I'm at episode 7. I haven't watch the show in acouple of years but it's one of my favorites and the series that got me interested in anime in the first place.
thanatos

I just finished Ergheiz. I guess I just got suckered in due to the OP being subg by Yoshiki Fukuyama. It was pretty mediocre to boring which was a shame since the mecha designs weren't half bad.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood!!!!! Wow...just....just wow. I have forgotten how GOOD anime can be. This series is just so amazing, with fantastic characters, a heart-pounding plot, and over all just pure fantastic writing with every episode.

I know I sound like a fan-girl...but wait, that is exactly what I am now. :)

I get that most people see Evangelion as the best anime (and rightly so), but I think FMAB might just beat it at the rate it is going! I am only on episode 34, but this series has almost litterally blown me away. I just can't get enough!

More!

I WANT MORE! *Gets insane glint in her eye

MORE!!!!

I am also watching, Eureka 7, Victory Gundam, Bleach, Hellsing (yawn), Hellsing Ultimate (awesome), and the normal Full Metal Alchemist (Good, but no where near as good as FMAB. Sorry FMA pureists! But wait...that doesn't make sense considering FMAB is story of the original manga...)

On a completely different side note that really has no bearing on this: I am surprised that maqh doesn't have a Eureka 7 review. It seems right up their alley. I guess they will get around to it one way or another.

But seriously folks, if you haven't watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood...do so now! It will NOT dissapoint!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
TetraVaal

finally concluded 0083... meh, it was okay... I didn't really care for the ending, I wish Kou would have spit in Nina's face, but what can you do? All I really cared about from this series was the action, had the story been half as good, this probably would have a lot of replay value. Oh well, I'm just ready to finally resume Zeta Gundam.
Mu La Flaga

Soma Taozi wrote:Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood!!!!! Wow...just....just wow. I have forgotten how GOOD anime can be. This series is just so amazing, with fantastic characters, a heart-pounding plot, and over all just pure fantastic writing with every episode.

I know I sound like a fan-girl...but wait, that is exactly what I am now. :)

I get that most people see Evangelion as the best anime (and rightly so), but I think FMAB might just beat it at the rate it is going! I am only on episode 34, but this series has almost litterally blown me away. I just can't get enough!

More!

I WANT MORE! *Gets insane glint in her eye

MORE!!!!

I am also watching, Eureka 7, Victory Gundam, Bleach, Hellsing (yawn), Hellsing Ultimate (awesome), and the normal Full Metal Alchemist (Good, but no where near as good as FMAB. Sorry FMA pureists! But wait...that doesn't make sense considering FMAB is story of the original manga...)

On a completely different side note that really has no bearing on this: I am surprised that maqh doesn't have a Eureka 7 review. It seems right up their alley. I guess they will get around to it one way or another.

But seriously folks, if you haven't watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood...do so now! It will NOT dissapoint!
Full Metal Alchemist always has a certain appeal to girls for some odd reason :P
Although amongst your list surprised your watching Victory Gundam one of the darkest Gundam entries in UC period.

You looking for any ideas for next series to watch?
blind_dead_mcjones

finished Gun X Sword a couple of days ago, i quite enjoyed it overall, especially the ending as for me it was completely unexpected
Spoiler
to have Van walk in asking if the owner, not even realising its wendy, has anything to eat mere seconds after her and some journo speculated on rumours that he was dead, and comming face to face with the (now giant) pet turtle wendy has.

also i found Fasalinas and michaels death by a falling chunk of concrete ceiling a tad hilarious due to the abruptness in which it occured.
Flag Fighter for life!
DuelGundam2099

Today I started watching and got up to episode 9 in Brain Powerd. The best way to describe it is sorting through the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Nice action scenes
-Neat antibody designs (what the grand chers and brain powerds are referred to as; really liked Edgar's grand cher)
-Originality
-Likable characters (Jonathan makes a good evil ace pilot)
-Good story thus far

Cons:
-Bad music
-Very little is explained, but I imagine that'll take time
-Pacing could be better

Overall it is pretty good, I look forward to seeing the rest. 8)
LightningCount

Mu La Flaga wrote:Full Metal Alchemist always has a certain appeal to girls for some odd reason :P
This is true--nothing wrong with that--BUT FMA is good in its own right (though it's not a favorite of mine). I've seen the original series and I've seen a quarter of Brotherhood (have not seen the movies at all). The first series handles its drama with a little more gravity overall (sometimes too much) and Brotherhood overplays its comedic elements. Both are nicely animated with a layered story full of surprises (though I'm not crazy about all the character designs). The pacing in both can drag a bit, particularly the original series versus Brotherhood. I think Brotherhood has more interesting characters and better political elements added given the extra manga material that was not ready for the first series. All and all, they are some of the more memorable and unique series to come out in the last ten years...but as of this point, they have shortcomings for me that prevent me from ranking them higher. I still need to see more of Brotherhood, which Adult Swim is supposed to continue soon.
blind_dead_mcjones wrote:finished Gun X Sword a couple of days ago, i quite enjoyed it overall, especially the ending as for me it was completely unexpected
Spoiler
to have Van walk in asking if the owner, not even realising its wendy, has anything to eat mere seconds after her and some journo speculated on rumours that he was dead, and comming face to face with the (now giant) pet turtle wendy has.

also i found Fasalinas and michaels death by a falling chunk of concrete ceiling a tad hilarious due to the abruptness in which it occured.
Gun x Sword is an interesting one. Another notable series as far as iconography in a recent anime history that's been more homogeneous. Not perfect, but definitely worth seeing--a unique combo of Big-O and Trigun sort of.
Spoiler
I think the end portions felt a bit rushed, unfortunately. I felt that Fasalina and Carmen got shortchanged after the build-up of their rivalry. The Original Seven seemed to get weaker after the sword-duel one with the castle. Still, Ray and the Claw made for some great moments near the end, and there were a lot of crazy surprises as far as where the story went.
TetraVaal wrote:finally concluded 0083... meh, it was okay... I didn't really care for the ending, I wish Kou would have spit in Nina's face, but what can you do? All I really cared about from this series was the action, had the story been half as good, this probably would have a lot of replay value. Oh well, I'm just ready to finally resume Zeta Gundam.
0083 is a decidedly mixed bag, and the Nina/Kou stuff was too forced/over-the-top more often than not. But I still liked characters like Gato, Delaz, Kelly, Cima, Burning, Synapse, Lucette, Karius, and [the cooler 0083 version of] Bask. Gato's Nuel Ziel is one of the coolest mobile armors in UC, too, making for some really memorable encounters near the end. The presentation of the Solar System in here is brilliantly executed (finally does the idea justice). The conspiracies within Zeon itself were probably the highlight of the story (outside the battles). Also, it's nice how it sets up
Spoiler
the origins of the Titans, teases the future of a certain Zeon girl, and that Zeon actually pulls off a win of sorts

...As far as "experiences" go, despite some stretches of well-plotted episodes in Zeta like 10-16, I actually have found 0083 more "fun" than Zeta so far (at around the midpoint).

And now for my Xam'd report:
I'm in the middle of episode 8, more or less. The series has been seemingly inconsistent (though it somewhat depends on if it capitalizes later on on some of these more disjointed episodes, which are covering a lot in a short period of time, but don't have a lot of the "spectacle" of episodes 1 and 2). Episode 6 showed a lot of promise, but episode 7 was a bit of a letdown. It's introducing a pretty complex and unique world, though, and has succeeded in getting me engaged with its characters (even those I didn't like at first). It has elements that are reminiscent of productions like Evangelion, Eureka 7, Nausicaa, Last Exile, and RahXephon, and yet, all and all, it feels like its marching to its own unique beat. Hopefully it'll be able to pull together its strengths as it goes along.
TetraVaal

I couldn't agree more with your take on Kou and Nina's relationship... they were both a bit petulant, were they not? I didn't hate them by any means, but it was definitely over the top, as you put it. Also, I just read what you typed up about 0080, and I totally understand why you appreciate it and I respect that. It's just for me, I don't think there was long enough takes of the three characters involved for me to be thoroughly interested in them... which is why I feel it was something that could have benefited more from being 13 episodes as opposed to 6, but that's just how I feel about it.

Anyway, I'm only five episodes into Zeta, so it's really hard for me to gauge how I feel about the series so far, but I ceraintly don't dislike it. In fact, I find it as a refreshing show to watch after how hit and miss 0083 was.
Gundamfan

So I finished Diebuster (Gunbuster 2) and I think it is a pretty good series. The animation is better and definitely has an FLCL feel since it's the same staff. The Buster Machines are different looking than in the original GunBuster, but I guess that is to be expected since it is supposed to be tens of thousands of years since Noriko piloted the Buster Machine. Our main character Nono is a likeable character with a whole lot of optimism. The battles were very cool and I definitely liked them. Compared to the original there is certain things in the series that pays homage to it, such as Nono doing the Lightning kick in the very first episode and there is a couple other ways it shows tributes to the original as well. Also, though, there are some things I didn't understand like how
Spoiler
In the original GunBuster because of the time dilation people got older and the pilots stayed younger, but in Diebuster nothing happens and it isn't explained why. At least I don't think it was explained anywhere.
Overall it is a good show that I was glad to watch. Also, I found a tribute to the original Gundam series as well. There is a ship called the Lalacharn, which I just thought Lalah at first and then I realized that it combines both Lalahs name and Chars.
Anyway, I'm only five episodes into Zeta, so it's really hard for me to gauge how I feel about the series so far, but I ceraintly don't dislike it. In fact, I find it as a refreshing show to watch after how hit and miss 0083 was.
Hey TetraVaal, I think you will like Zeta. In my opinion I think it is one of the best series from the UC timeline. I wonder how you will compare it to the other Gundam series you have seen so far.
Mu La Flaga

I always thought the time dilation thing was more like.
Because they were travelling in this mode of transport where it says it takes this much long to return to Earth.
But the time on Earth is passing by MUCH faster.

Like in Gunbuster when Noriko and Coach got to the Exellion derellict ship to see if any survivors and Coach pulls Noriko out, they have like 1-2 second overshot, which results in time being accelerated forward by a few weeks or months depending on the seconds.

It's pretty much like Back to the Future's rule of time travel when the Doc did the demonstration of the Delorean.
Einstein just traveled to the next point in time where time flowed differently.
Where as for Marty and Doc time flowed normally, but Einstein's watch was 1 min behind because of the trip.

Hope that makes sense :P