The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Genocide

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk I

Neo-Era wrote:More minor references, based on what I've read at the Jpn wiki & 2ch:
Spoiler
the doctor of the Argama & Nahal Argama is still the ship's doc, Bright Noa, Kai Shiden, & Beltorchika Irma all make at least cameo appearances (in fact, Bright has one of those Japanese funeral photos of Amuro Ray in the captain's quarters of the Ra Cailum), and Kamille Bidan & Judau Ashta are mentioned by name at least once by supporting characters.
Spoiler
Let's not forget Marida Cruz' origins and Mineva's fate.
All in all, I think Unicorn should be watchable by pretty much anyone, but it's probably the core UC fans familiar with the older shows who will get the most out of all the little details.
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
OutLawSuit

Not all of that OP was fan made, they ripped some of it from this.
kupoartist

Simultaneous World Release eh? I assume we're talking about the traditional view of the world that doesn't include Europe, because only dragons live there?

Assuming that they decide on a format that gives them space for cameos anyway (and is anyone else fearful of a F91 style-fudging of the story into a movie?) one wonders what they'd do about a Captain Bright appearance :cry:
T.V.

kupoartist wrote:Simultaneous World Release eh? I assume we're talking about the traditional view of the world that doesn't include Europe, because only dragons live there?
It's supposedly coming out in seven(!) languages during this simultanuous release, amongst which are German and French according to that ANN article, so I don't think Europe will be passed over this time. :)
At least not the larger nations that is.
(I don't see Dutch being a likely candidate language amongst those seven... :P)

If it comes down to online distribution via Youtube, etc., I hope I won't be IP-excluded from viewing, like with many other (US-distribution only) free online releases.
Genocide

kupoartist wrote:Assuming that they decide on a format that gives them space for cameos anyway (and is anyone else fearful of a F91 style-fudging of the story into a movie?) one wonders what they'd do about a Captain Bright appearance :cry:
It doesn't look like it's going to be a movie at this point, although who knows. And they could always throw in a cameo without having him say anything. As long as the opportunity is there, I'm sure they would pay him tribute somehow. I do recall hearing that some appearences in video games have him use pre-recorded dialogue as well.
ZeroBusterXX

Genocide wrote:
kupoartist wrote:Assuming that they decide on a format that gives them space for cameos anyway (and is anyone else fearful of a F91 style-fudging of the story into a movie?) one wonders what they'd do about a Captain Bright appearance :cry:
It doesn't look like it's going to be a movie at this point, although who knows. And they could always throw in a cameo without having him say anything. As long as the opportunity is there, I'm sure they would pay him tribute somehow. I do recall hearing that some appearences in video games have him use pre-recorded dialogue as well.
Yeah, in a lot of the newer SRWs and ACE 3 and pretty much any Gundam game just use pre-recorded dialogue of him.
But more on topic, I also think that a movie is seeming incredibly unlikely since it is going to have a simultaneous worldwide release and it's coming out this year. OVA at the least and TV series at the most.
Mark064

Going back, there was talk of episode 1 in the article so it's not a movie. This was part of the initial info posted. As for Bright, I highly doubt his lines in Unicorn consist of him standing on the bridge of the Ra Cailum yelling out battle lines. So if he's to appear there is no way around it and he has to be recast. You can easily have Bright immortal in videogames due to the abundance of videogame lines but you can't go further then that. Which is also why Bright's non Zeta story lines in SD Gundam G Generation G Spirits were just text.

As for Bandai's simultaneous world release I have to wonder. If their plan is some net release and there is no TV airing in Japan then Bandai would be more likely to use Bandai channel for Japan. But whose to say this will be free and we won't be paying to watch Unicorn?
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Orrick Alexander

While discussing the up coming Unicorn project that is apparently set for next year, old thoughts about the Universal Century came up. Such as, what happened to Kamille Bidan? Did Judau ever return from Jupiter, what did Bright and Co. do after Amuro and Char went MIA?
Spoiler
Will they follow the ending to the movies where he isn't affected by Paptimus Scirocco which successfully erased the events of Double Zeta. Or will they go with the 'real' timeline, and if so did Kamille truly recover from Paptimus Scirocco's attack?

Personally, I always felt that at the end of Double Zeta, the Kamille we say running around with Fa was some other guy than the Kamille we knew. His body had recovered, but the Kamille we knew was eternally lost.
So what's your guy's thoughts on that? Also, I don't have the ability to read the unicorn manga, so this may be a stupid question, if so I'm sorry.
Deacon Blues

Gundam Unicorn is a novel, not a manga. Also, Kamille and Judau (as far as I can tell) don't really appear in the novel. They're talked about between Mikotto and Takuya.
Mark064

For the 100th billionth time ZZ still happens. Kamille still gets his brain fried, Axis stays around and becomes Neo Zeon and the whole war still happens. Since Deacon already answewed from the novels. Chances are Judau stays a Jupiter if you want to count Grey Stoke's appearances in the various mangas. Else he comes back for a while and then returns to Jupiter.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Aegis

I'll admit, probably the one reason why I'm gonna watch this is because of the mechas themselves. :P I kinda missed seeing a Katoki design animated in Gundam. ;p All in all, I'm kinda glad that they're not only going UC on this one, but also going to one of the novels altogether. We even get cameos from some characters we haven't heard form in a long time. :)
Chris
Administrator

Mark064 wrote:For the 100th billionth time ZZ still happens.
I'd say you shouldn't even waste your time. People will keep believing this nonsense of "Did ZZ happen or not?" forever regardless of what anyone says.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Genocide

Orrick Alexander wrote:Personally, I always felt that at the end of Double Zeta, the Kamille we say running around with Fa was some other guy than the Kamille we knew. His body had recovered, but the Kamille we knew was eternally lost.
This is going to be dragged off-topic, but what? Kamille was the same person in ZZ as he was in Zeta, despite having mentally matured a bit (as evident when he telepathically communicated with Judau and co). But really, like Deacon said it's not as if either appear in the novel so it's all moot.

The characters (Marida) and mecha (Kshatriya, Nahel Argama) from the novel also heavily imply that the events of ZZ went as they did in the anime.
Grand Admiral Revil

I'm having a bit of mixed feelings in regards to Gundam Unicorn. On one hand, its new animated UC which is my favourite Gundam universe. On the other hand, I have a feeling that it will share the pet peeve I have with most recent animated UC, which is the increasingly skewed and negative portrayal of the Earth Federation.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the Federation has never been shown as a shining paragon of virtue in any previous UC material. However, the Federation is usually shown as inept, incompetent, and corrupt, never as outright malicious. From what little I've heard from other forums, the Federation in Unicorn is shown as being almost comically evil by conducting massacres and being manipulated by secret societies, much like their CE counterparts the Earth Alliance (whose own portrayal passed the point of caricature in GSD).

I have a feeling this is done mostly to make Neo Zeon look like a bunch of brave, noble 'freedom fighters', while ignoring the fact that they're essentially a bunch of mass murdering terrorist who just 3 years prior (in-universe) tried to exterminate all life on earth! Of course, this fact will probably get swept under the rug (like all of Zeon's other atrocities) so that the Zeon fanboys can cheer as Neo Zeon guns down hordes of Feddies with their righteousness.

Now I'm not saying this is actually what happens in Unicorn as I haven't read it, and I'd love if any of those who have can correct my misconceptions on this if there are any.
"Zeon is exhaused! Now is not the time for us to kneel before Zeon. It is time for us to rise! Now, more than ever, is our chance to defeat Zeon!" - General Revil
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Wow this is awesome news.

I cant wait to see it and own it. (If it comes to America)
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
J-Lead

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:(If it comes to America)
Simultaneous worldwide release
Your gonna be able see it one way or another, and you'll probably have the chance to own it as well. Possibly even on Blu-ray, if they're really serious about this.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Arsarcana

Grand Admiral Revil wrote:However, the Federation is usually shown as inept, incompetent, and corrupt, never as outright malicious.
Zeta Gundam would like a word with you. Okay, it was the Titans doing all the evil work but who was it that gave a bunch of psychopaths total authority and absolutely no oversight to begin with? Plus, they're technically part of the Federation even if they're basically a law unto themselves. I seem to recall a fair degree of malice in Silhouette Formula as well. F91's shooting up a captured colony full of civilians to try and kill the enemy leadership was pretty malicious too, not to mention incompetent seeing how they missed.
I have a feeling this is done mostly to make Neo Zeon look like a bunch of brave, noble 'freedom fighters', while ignoring the fact that they're essentially a bunch of mass murdering terrorist who just 3 years prior (in-universe) tried to exterminate all life on earth!
Not that I'm defending what Char tried to do but technically his goal wasn't to end all life on earth, it was to get everyone to move off the earth. The fact that a lot of people would have died and the theory Char was basing his plan on (basically everything his dad thought about Newtypes) appears to have been wrong don't change that.
Nights

Grand Admiral Revil wrote:I'm having a bit of mixed feelings in regards to Gundam Unicorn. On one hand, its new animated UC which is my favourite Gundam universe. On the other hand, I have a feeling that it will share the pet peeve I have with most recent animated UC, which is the increasingly skewed and negative portrayal of the Earth Federation.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the Federation has never been shown as a shining paragon of virtue in any previous UC material. However, the Federation is usually shown as inept, incompetent, and corrupt, never as outright malicious. From what little I've heard from other forums, the Federation in Unicorn is shown as being almost comically evil by conducting massacres and being manipulated by secret societies, much like their CE counterparts the Earth Alliance (whose own portrayal passed the point of caricature in GSD).

I have a feeling this is done mostly to make Neo Zeon look like a bunch of brave, noble 'freedom fighters', while ignoring the fact that they're essentially a bunch of mass murdering terrorist who just 3 years prior (in-universe) tried to exterminate all life on earth! Of course, this fact will probably get swept under the rug (like all of Zeon's other atrocities) so that the Zeon fanboys can cheer as Neo Zeon guns down hordes of Feddies with their righteousness.

Now I'm not saying this is actually what happens in Unicorn as I haven't read it, and I'd love if any of those who have can correct my misconceptions on this if there are any.

I read something very similar to this post on another forum.
ShadowCell

So?

Please don't spam. Quoting an entire post when you aren't even responding to anything in it is just a waste of space and time. Please don't do it again.