gundam's un-animated side stories, should some be animated?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
mrbananaisamonkey

like the title staes, I think it should be mobile suit gundam throughbred
like the one in in ps2 game encounters in space, or the gundam 00 side stories, your opinion on the one you would like, just for fun
a never ending battle: cookies vs pie.
ShadowCell

Moved to Anime and Manga.

If this thread just turns into a wankfest of unrealistic demands and fantasies, I'm going to lock it.
mcred23

Re: gundam's un-animated side stories, should some be animat

mrbananaisamonkey wrote:gundam's un-animated side stories, should some be animated?
Should some be animated? As a fan of many side stories, I'd say yes. Will they ever be animated? Never. As much as it's the dream of many a fanboy/fangirl/fancreature to see his/her/its favorite manga or photonovel or whatever medium the side story is in get an animated work (Be it a movie or TV series or OVA or whatever), its never happened and it never will.

And like SC said, we've had enough threads with people listing what side stories they want to see animated, and we don't need to add another...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Recon 5

There will be people who say "WANT!" and there will be people who say "DO NOT WANT!" but what will really result in an animation is enough people buying into a given MSV or side story. If lets say the Unicorn and Banshee suddenly constitute 60% of all Gunpla bought then a Unicorn animation would be inevitable.

I don't see that happening, though.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
NeoStar9

I've always wanted the Blue Destiny storyline to be done. The retaking of California Base needs to be animated I feel. There is enough there for a decent sized OVA or if they want they could possibly pushed it to a full series with the episodes in the 20s if you combine the manga and game with some other elements taken from other series. There would be areas when you could even throw in some of the actions of the White Base crew or some stuff from Zenoic Front (like the Zeon taking California Base) to extend things.
Imperial

NeoStar9 wrote:I've always wanted the Blue Destiny storyline to be done. The retaking of California Base needs to be animated I feel. There is enough there for a decent sized OVA or if they want they could possibly pushed it to a full series with the episodes in the 20s if you combine the manga and game with some other elements taken from other series. There would be areas when you could even throw in some of the actions of the White Base crew or some stuff from Zenoic Front (like the Zeon taking California Base) to extend things.
As cool as Blue Destiny is (my favorite Gundam spin-off to come out of the Universal Century), the chances of it being animated are slim to none. Sunrise is all about tie-ins and marketing and whatnot. Blue Destiny models have been in circulation for years. A series might give those models a slight sales boost, but it likely wouldn't match the sales of a brand new series with new, never-before-seen machines.

This can also be applied to Unicorn or Sentinel or any other number of Gundam side stories. The most we can hope for are brief animated segments in video games like Encounter in Space, semi-animated commercials like the one for Unicorn, or maybe a Gundam Evolve short if Sunrise revives it and uses it to show off some more obscure material. Gundam practically runs on pipe dreams.
This space for rent
J-Lead

Recon 5 wrote:There will be people who say "WANT!" and there will be people who say "DO NOT WANT!" but what will really result in an animation is enough people buying into a given MSV or side story. If lets say the Unicorn and Banshee suddenly constitute 60% of all Gunpla bought then a Unicorn animation would be inevitable.

I don't see that happening, though.
Actually, that could go both ways at varying degrees. On one hand, Gundam animtions are usually done to push some new model kit line that comes with the series, where a large portion of the profit is made. If people are already buying said model line with the absence of any animation, making one might be considered somewhat redundant.

On the other hand, it might warrent said side story to appear in a game, either as a storyline or just cameos of the star mobile suits from the show. Also, the promise of large DVD sales might provide some incentive to produce something, whether it's related to the story itself or just a cameo, ala MSV appearing in OYW OVAs, but in cases like this, I wouldn't expect much out of them.

Although I do agree that some form of animation that features the capture of California base would be nice. Playing through it in video games is fun and all, but I'd typically expect more exposure out of a battle such as that....
Last edited by J-Lead on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
toysdream

J-Lead wrote:Actually, that could go both ways at varying degrees. On one hand, Gundam animtions are usually done to push some new model kit line that comes with the series, where a large portion of the profit is made. If people are already buying said model line with the absence of any animation, making one might be considered somewhat redundant.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. If Bandai can sell a million Unicorn kits already, it doesn't really need the extra publicity. Whereas, on the other hand, Gundam 00 kits aren't going to fly off the shelves unless there's a Gundam 00 anime to go along with them. Given a limited budget for producing anime - not to mention intangible factors like the target audience for different product lines, and the fact that the anime is produced by a separate sub-company called Sunrise that doesn't exist purely to do the toy division's bidding - it's not surprising that, for the last thirty years, they've always chosen to create new works instead of animating a pre-existing story.

-- Mark