Eureka Seven movie

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Vent Noir

Eureka Seven movie

Trailer is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOiXjNIvMAI

From the trailer, I'm worried that Eureka's role will be "damsel in distress" - I really hope not.

I have a mental image of Renton and Allelujah together...

Renton: EUREKA!
Al: MARIE!
Renton: EUREKA!
Al: MARIE!

(Granted, Renton was like that a lot of the time in the show, too...)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
X10A-Freedom

Wow I honsestly didnt even care about this movie even though I liked the series but after seeing that trailer im so pumped it looks so good im definatly seeing it now. And Eureka with a gun lookin crazy is just awesome.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
OutLawSuit

I can't tell. Is it a sequel or a retelling of the last portion of the series? Doesn't really look like a sequel to me though.
CyborgZeta

It's an alternative version/retelling of the series.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
X10A-Freedom

CyborgZeta wrote:It's an alternative version/retelling of the series.
Aw man that sucks im a little dissapointed but im still going to see it.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Duo Himura

Re: Allelujah and Renton... At least Renton has a name that you can say/dramatically scream with a straight face? Well, straight face by dramatic scream-standards. You get the idea. (Eureka sounds a little higher pitched in some of those screams there, doesn't she? Maybe I'm imagining things)

As for Eureka being a damsel in distress... she ran into that problem in the series too. Her crowning achievement as far as taking matters into her own hands (going to avoid the obvious reference there) goes was nulled by the fact that she walked into an enemy army and had to be rescued by Renton. Admittedly, from the perspective of it being Renton's story, about his journey into adulthood, he may have -had- to return on his own rather than being brought back by someone else, even Eureka. In that sense the fact that she does take matters into her own hands is a better alternative than her sitting around and waiting...

But if you wanted the story to have as its focus Renton and Eureka's relationship foremost and Renton becoming an adult as a lesser concern, then it does feel like Renton takes over a bit as the series progresses... I mean, okay, no one has any idea how they split up the piloting of the Nirvash when they're both in it, but we see Renton as being far more effective piloting it by himself than Eureka is later on (as in, he actually can pilot it by himself), and as far as the "rescue count" goes he pretty much has it locked up. Personally I've always thought, if the real idea was to show co-dependence of the characters, you have to show that they -both- can't succeed on their own (or, if you rather, that they both can manage on their own but are unfulfilled), but Japan can be a little traditional when it comes to gender roles, so I'm not sure we'll see much of that. It's not like Eureka Seven is chauvinistic by any stretch, it just falls into the cliche a bit.

Anyway, Eureka with a gun making an epic statement about how she's going to fight for Renton's sake and for the future suggests that she at least gets some moments of awesomeness, even if she still is being rescued from various aerial maladies.

My big hope for this movie is that either Dewey will get the boot or will be given a more realistic motive, that perhaps Anemone's character development will be a touch more gradual (that's unlikely, but...) and that the final moments will be a little less... average. If it pulls off only the latter and some cool new animation (along with a decent reworking of the story, of course), I'll probably be satisfied, though.

Side note: Is it wrong of me to wish that they would have an orchestral version of Pocketful of Rainbows as background music in here somewhere? I kind of wanted to see that with the final episode and "When You Wish Upon a Star," not -much-, just like... a few iconic notes from it or something worked into the last scene.
So if red makes a mobile suit three times faster, what color do you have to paint it for it to be just a love machine?
Dynames

looks pretty interesting, it does look like they are trying to retell the story
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
Toxicity

It's going to be dubbed, right? Eureka Seven actually had english voice acting that didnt make me cringe.
ZeroBusterXX

This movie looks good. When I heard, there was going to be a re-imagining of the series, I thought it was going to be like the Escaflowne movie (I enjoyed the series and hated the movie). But, thank god it is actually similar to the series!
OutLawSuit

Toxicity wrote:It's going to be dubbed, right? Eureka Seven actually had english voice acting that didnt make me cringe.
Way too early to even bring that up, but it is probably a safe bet Bandai will bring it over in a couple years.
CyborgZeta

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Bandai licenses this not too long after it airs in Japan.

After all, the original Eureka 7 series was licensed before it even aired in Japan.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
OutLawSuit

Yeah but isn't this a theatrical release? So it will take nearly a year for it just to be released on DVD in Japan so who knows.
ZeroBusterXX

Re: Eureka Seven movie

It's in theaters now (has been for a few days at the time of this post as a matter of fact). Has anyone heard anything about it yet?
Toxicity

Makes me wish I lived in Japan. I want to see this movie sooooo badly. I just got done watching Xam'd, so i need something good to follow it up.

But actually, no. I haven't heard a damned thing about this movie apart from things we already knew before it even came out. They sure are keeping this thing all hush-hush.
M.U.N.

I'm looking pretty forward for this movie, I honestly didn't care all that much the story seemed to have ended nice imo but when I heard the devilfish would be in it I was excited, though when I saw the movie line art for it and it's new bulky attachments I got kind of disappointed, but I still have hope.
Tailsnake

As much as I didn't enjoy most of the anime story (the manga felt so much more coherent) I'll always love the anime for the music, style, and awesome fights. I'll definitely be seeing this.
thanatos

I'm glad that this movie is going to be a re-imagining of the show and not just a compilation movie. Hopefully this will make up for E7's failings and have Renton actually reach maturity rather than just go from childhood to adolesence like the in show. I'm also hoping that Eureka becomes more than than the unemotive Rei-clone she was in the show. A bit more development for Anemone would also be nice.

But the rest of the crew of the Gekko-Go shouldn't change a bit.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
ZeroBusterXX

Why does stuff that Shoji Kawamori had a hand in, always get reimaginings? Just off the top of my head: SDF Macross, Macross Frontier, Escaflwone, Aquarion, and now Eureka Seven? The only one I really enjoyed was Do You Remember Love?, and I haven't seen any of the other ones, aside from Escaflowne, and I really hated the Escaflowne movie. I loved the series, but the movie was so boring.
Chris
Administrator

ZeroBusterXX wrote:Why does stuff that Shoji Kawamori had a hand in, always get reimaginings? Just off the top of my head: SDF Macross, Macross Frontier, Escaflwone, Aquarion, and now Eureka Seven? The only one I really enjoyed was Do You Remember Love?, and I haven't seen any of the other ones, aside from Escaflowne, and I really hated the Escaflowne movie. I loved the series, but the movie was so boring.
There's not as much of a connection as you're trying to imply. Kawamori only did mechanical designs for Eureka Seven, whereas in the other series he's the director, creator or producer.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his