Gundam 30th Anniversary Official Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Gundam 30th Anniversary Official Thread

GUNDAM 30TH ANNIVERSARY NEW PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENT
A new series has made the Universal Century its stage!
Courtesy of the April 2009 issue of Gundam Ace

TITLE NOT YET ANNOUNCED

STAFF INFORMATION
  • Mechanic Design: Katoki Hajime
    Character Design: Suzuki Tatsuya
CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • EARTH FEDERATION PHANTOM SWEEP TEAM
    • Hughes Courand: Male. Age 32. A veteran officer who leads the Phantom Sweep special forces unit charged with hunting for Zeon remnants. He has a bitter experience in which his unit was annihilated in the past.

Chelle Allison: Female. Age 24. She was serving as a test pilot but was assigned to the special forces unit as a replacement.
    ZEON FORCES INVINCIBLE KNIGHTS
    • Erik Blanke: Male. Age 20. A young officer whose family is a distinguished family in the Principality of Zeon. He takes command of the “Invincible Knights” in order to execute a counterattack operation against the Earth Federation Forces. The counterattack's name is "Suiten's Tears".
MECHANICAL INFORMATION
  • RX-78-7: The phantom Gundam Unit No.7
STORY INFORMATION
  • Story: The time is Universal Century 0081. One year has passed since the war and although the world was regaining order, small-scale battles continued in various places by the Zeon remnants who still continue to resist. During the situation, a veteran soldier of the Earth Federation Forces is appointed to a mop-up operation of the Zeon remnant forces. On the other side, a young officer is executing a top secret operation for the revival of Zeon. Their paths cross on this battlefield.
FLASH TRAILER INFORMATION
  • U.C.0080.01.01 - A ceasefire agreement is signed at the lunar city of Granada.
    U.C.0081 - During the last stage of the One Year War, two units collide, risking their lives.

The basis of mutually different beliefs, and the two commanders and their comrades who fight. Their feelings intertwine on the battlefield.
Last edited by Deacon Blues on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
ShadowCell

Is this an OVA or a full series or is that known yet?
Kavik Ryx

Would this be the crux of the Anniversary, or simply part of something greater?
Destiny_Gundam

Well, at least it's not set during the OYW. Still would have been nice to have it set further in the time line, as 0083 kinda covered this area already.

But there's a female pilot, so awesome.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Re: Gundam 30th Anniversary Official Thread

Deacon Blues wrote:Mobile Suit: Phantom Gundam Unit No.7
I kinda doubt it will be this, but the first thing I thought of when reading that was this Gundam.

Edit: Then again, maybe I am right.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
pd771

Well, I know some will be upset they are revisiting the OYW era again, but this makes sense for a celebration of the anniversary. Plus they'll sell a crap ton of models of the new Gundam (which looks almost exactly like an updated RX-78-2.)
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
MHpanruka
Location: Somewhere in chair in front of a monitor eating pocky.

Sounds cool though a remake of 0079 would have been nice. Oh well it's better than no UC. Maybe we will get a new zeonic design.
Last edited by MHpanruka on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ku ku ku ku ku ku
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

I was kinda expecting an add up to the Anno domini universe but I'm still curious and excited about this news. :D
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Imperial

I can't say I'm at all surprised to see them revisiting the saga that started it all with another One Year War deal (or close enough to count).

Still, the premise could be better used elsewhere. The idea of an elite Federation team hunting Zeon leftovers sounds like it was pulled straight out of a pitch for a Titans-centric pre-Zeta OVA. Really, wouldn't it have been cool watching GM Quels and Hizacks tangling with Rick Doms and Gelgoogs? I would watch it.

Either way, I suppose the nostalgia factor won't be so bad. Unless they totally drop the ball, I'll wind up enjoying this well enough.
This space for rent
Mark064

I think the idea is good because this dates back to the earlier info of Zeta Gundam. And due to this time is so close to the end of the OYW it'll be nice to see. And this beats inserting the RX-78-7 into the OYW and giving us another OYW Gundam sidestory.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
HMRising

Woop, this all sounds very cool, and if this happens to be a full-fledged series, a modernized anime for a UC show will be interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for the post! :)
speedstriker

For now, I will remain hopefully optimistic. I really don't mind the premise much, and after seeing various UC OVA's, I am quite confident with final production value as well.

This will be the true test of Tomino's legacy of Gundam I guess. Exactly how they will handle the said premise will be the most critical deciding factor in this case.

Here's the new characters according to 4chan (not sure how reliable it is):
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... jectch.jpg

Seeing the old Zeon and Fed uniform is nice, but the characters wearing them looks so much younger than their prescribed age! I guess the age of the grizzled looking war veteran really is gone eh? Replaced with the charismatic leader with a traumatic past I guess... :lol:
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Antares

Oh yes, the UC is still kicking. I found this with at least images of the two EF protagonists. My estimated transliteration wasn't far off the mark from what Deacon posted...

Darn, ninja'd by speedstriker. :P
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Personally, I don't mind that it's OYW, as long as we're getting a new UC series.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Kratos

Here's hoping for a UC story with as much maturity and realism as 0080. An OVA that good would MAKE this anniversary for me.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Destiny_Gundam

speedstriker wrote:This will be the true test of Tomino's legacy of Gundam I guess.
How do you figure? You mean how well early UC era would fair in today's market? If so, then I'd have to point out MS Igloo.

At any rate, I think Sherry is rather pretty.
Dark Duel

Wow, a UC series not set during the OYW, but immediately after - bridging the gap between the OYW and Operation Stardust in 0083.
Plus there's a "South Burning"-esque veteran character AND a chick pilot.
AWESOME.

I'm having to try VERY hard not to get too psyched about this, in the extremely unlikely event I wind up disappointed. But it's difficult, as the sheer potential awesomeness of this is pretty overwhelming.
Thanks, Deac.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
speedstriker

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
speedstriker wrote:This will be the true test of Tomino's legacy of Gundam I guess.
How do you figure? You mean how well early UC era would fair in today's market? If so, then I'd have to point out MS Igloo.
Just like the new Mazinger Z series and the Macross Frontier series, by bringing such a major project back to the times of UC will really be a make or break for future UC series as a whole. As of now, Gundam really is mature enough to tackle the market with AU series alone, but the core UC series, if it continue to yield good production value, is what guarantee its survival into the indefinite future.

If done well, this series will do something that no series before has done before. Not only will it bring in new Gundam fans, hopefully younger fans and older fans alike, but it will introduce to these new fans the Universal Century of Gundam, something that no AU or UC has been able to do on a large scale.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Destiny_Gundam

Again, I have to point out Igloo, the first contemporary UC series. But I guess it's too quick to say anything in that regard, as Igloo is an OVA and we have no idea what this new project is.
Chris
Administrator

speedstriker wrote:Just like the new Mazinger Z series and the Macross Frontier series, by bringing such a major project back to the times of UC will really be a make or break for future UC series as a whole. As of now, Gundam really is mature enough to tackle the market with AU series alone, but the core UC series, if it continue to yield good production value, is what guarantee its survival into the indefinite future.
How is this a "make or break" for UC when the universe has never gone anywhere? There's been a UC OVA series almost every few years, with MS IGLOO 2 still running as we speak. UC merchandise has never let up in 30 years. Besides, this untitled project will most certainly be an OVA, so to compare it to Frontier and the new Mazinger is comparing apples to oranges.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his