Ride Back

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
veeMaci

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, for one, you're refering to the GGP. The BMA was the terrorist group.
I implied I was confused didn't I?
skyknight

Re: Ride Back

OK, I just finished the series this morning before heading out to work.

At first, I was skeptical of the series, which did follow the "oh, I became the pilot by accident" cliche of major mecha anime series; the differences was the main lead is a young woman whom had lost her sense of purpose, which I did enjoy her soul searching via becoming a Rideback rider. The good news is that the series wasn't flashy with the action sequence, and I was glad to see a series that focused on the inner struggles of the main character. Rin didn't have to join the BMA to make a statement, and she found peace in the end by doing the dance with Felugo as together in one, as a way to pay her respect to Suzuri.

I gotta admit if the Japanese screenwriters are catching up with latest trend in global politics: in both Rideback and Viper's Creed, the powerful organization that has the most influence is a multi-national company that has a military branch (similar to Robocop's OCP), and the ending is quite similar - the leader that was causing the troubles is taken out by a member of the company, not our HEROES!

And again, this is one of the series that I haven't read the original source, but I did enjoy the series. What was the focus of the manga?
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Wellman

Re:

veeMaci wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:So after finishing the series, I have to ask... what was the point of it all?
I'm still trying to figure out WTF happened. Why did the GGP suddenly lose complete control of the Japan? What were the executives or whatever and why did they have so much power over the GGP, but were at the mercy of reporters? How did any of this cause the GGP to collapse? Why was the GGP forced to deal with the Japanese government? Why did Japan even have the government if the goal of the GGP was to create a worldwide stratocracy?

None of this makes any sense.
Fixed that for you.

And to answer your questions.

1. The GGP throughout the series have been exerting more and more control over the populace of Japan. By the last episodes they had inflicted a sort of martial law and people couldn't even go out onto the streets any more. Technically they didn't lose control, it is just that those within the GGP that used the harsher methods were the same ones that had the backroom dealings and once their corruption was brought to light they were ousted.

2 and 3. They basically a big corporation that had a backroom deal with the GGP. The GGP would enforce policies such as the new White ride back units, which would make the company (whose name I forgotten) a bunch of money and they split the profits with the GGP. Once the links were brought to light, coupled with the information that they got from that one GGP officer, the GGP had to restructure itself, like how so many major companies have to when they hit harder times. The GGP can't operate if they don't have the support of the people in the nations they deal with. The embarrassments of the scandal, coupled with recent protests, what was probably the somewhat publicized death of one of the side characters, the local law enforcement's investigation, the end of the GGP base siege by the BMA and the media icon known as the Ride Back girl, they had to stop their current dealings in the area and reevaluate how to proceed.

4. I am guess the GGP is more or less like the new United States or the new UN in the story. Basically, they have a lot of influence all around the world practically controlling it but they aren't in complete control and governments still have degrees of autonomy. The whole GGP movement was pretty new (I think the flashbacks were supposed to be all less then 20 years from the start of the show) , so they wouldn't have been able to have complete control over foreign governments. I am thinking part of the reason they were in Japan was to spread the GGP influence by handling the BMA terrorists and setting up their tendrils in Japan by way of its military or the white ride back units so that it can be absorbed into the greater GGP more easily later on.

Ah, glad that rant is out of the way.