The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

The Official Gundam 00 Season 2 Thread Mk I

New thread. Let the ep 6 dicussion continue!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dean_the_Young

From the last thread.
Areku wrote:Well, I wouldn't be so quick to interpret it that way. After all, it does refer to her as "Marie", who may no longer even exist. Naturally, it's hard for a "dead" person to return the sentiment. Soma might be a different matter, though.
If you want to get that specific, since when has Alleljuah thought about Soma at all? It's been "Marie" this, "Marie" that, pleadings with Marie. He's never accepted Soma as her own person, but has only been looking for and at Marie.

So if Allelujah ignores Soma for Marie, and Marie doesn't reciprocate, then it's safe to say that Soma can't reciprocate. :D
Besides, one can love without being mushy (or creepily obsessed like Al).
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping for. One of the things I'm enjoying greatly about 00 is the number of strong women; Kati takes no shit from no one, Soma's been kickass even with her own doubts, Wang Liu Mei has icewater for blood, and even Louise has turned out to be gung-ho while on duty.

Sumeragi (when she gets mopey/depressed, this issue especially) and Marina (most of the time) pain me enough, though they are on the 'good' side. But if Soma gets degenerated into a weak and helpless sap...

I look at the next episode preview, and pray that 'please, don't let this island episode be a repeat of Seed. Break the cliche, I beg of you!'
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Exia

Dean_the_Young wrote: I look at the next episode preview, and pray that 'please, don't let this island episode be a repeat of Seed. Break the cliche, I beg of you!'
I have my hopes that it won't be like Seed. Given the flashbacks of young Allelujah in the preview of episode 7 i think we will see more about Marie's/Soma's and Allelujah's childhood in the research center.
Destroy... I'll just destroy you. I'll annihilate you! I'll exterminate you!
azrael

Marie is probably buried somewhere in that head of Soma's. But this isn't the case of Al/Hal, 2 minds sharing 1 body. Marie is almost completely suppressed by Soma. Marie is just a faint echo in Soma's head with a very little chance that she'll be able to resurface.
SNT1

Yeah I hate character consistancy as well and wish every one was a generic bad ass. Christ you probably cry more than him and you're not in the middle of a war.
I think I can choose to like or not to like a character if I damn pleased. And I'd rather have a generic badass than a generic crybaby, thanks :roll:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Marcis

I hope they come to some resolution/truce. Or at least Soma will stop trying to kill Allelujah. Either she does it for real or she joins CB cause. Along with Sergei.
She already has her doubts about A-LAWS. Although Al decimating super soldier facility with Kyrios issue will surely pop up.
I would love to see how Al gets out of this one...

Mr. Bushido gets annoying. Aside from his wish to kick Setsuna's ass i don't see any progress with this character. Duel-freak. :?
Applying for job at Anaheim
Dean_the_Young

Marcis wrote:I hope they come to some resolution/truce. Or at least Soma will stop trying to kill Allelujah. Either she does it for real or she joins CB cause. Along with Sergei.
Gods, I hope not. It would be such a refreshing change of pace that, if anyone defected for the sake of love and loins, it would be Allelujah defecting to the A-LAWS in order to 'protect' Marie.

Mr. Bushido gets annoying. Aside from his wish to kick Setsuna's ass i don't see any progress with this character. Duel-freak. :?
There was already more than enough development in this episode; giving Mr. Bushido more time would have detracted from the three who did matter; Saji, Sumeragi, and Marina.

I expect Mr. Bushido to get character time when Billy becomes relevant again; IE, in another episode or two (or three, depending how much Soma-Allelujah dominates next week).
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Nagato21

So Sumeragi was an AEU officer and I thought she was Union :shock:
Now here's the one million dollar question: Are you gonna shoot, Saji?
Price number 1: you kill her and finally become CB full fledge Camille Bidan (joke)
Price number 2: you don't kill her and the four eye guy dies and his daughter blames you and you end going more mopho on us :twisted:

I was pissed off when that white hair dude slaped Sergei, if the bear had his ways he would've reduce him to mince meat. But I know now he will die a horrible death.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Exia

Maybe Sumeragi was trained in the Union and that's how she got to know Professer Eifmann and Billy. I guess Saji will shoot but will miss Louise's GN-X. After all you can't kill her this early without much development.
I wonder if Lindt's attitude towards normal Federation officers and soldiers is the common within the A-Laws. In episode 5 someone mentioned the Federation military would be nothing more than support troops for the A-Laws.
Marcis

Sergei was Titan-slapped. I really hope he returns the favour.

By "joining CB cause" i did not meant Soma defecting to CB. Just that she would stop seeing CB as enemy.
Al can not fight Soma with all he got anymore because he tries not to hurt her. This has to resolve somehow. Or they will end stabbing each other's mecha through cockpits at the end of S2.

Maybe it's just me but i don't like Graham in S2. He was likable character in S1 except last episode. In S2 ... i don't know.
Applying for job at Anaheim
Oruma

Obviously, Andrei's reaction to Louise is that it's love at first sight! Triangle between Andrei, Saji and Louise :lol:

The ending narration is so sad. [size=75"I once hoped to become your daughter."
With Soma stranded on some island with Ally, oh dear...a Flag of Death for the Colonel? [/size]Noooooo~

Although the beginning, i.e. the interaction between Setsuna & Ali, is still kind of weird...so what happened, exactly? Did anything happened?

Oh, and, Hung Lung & Wang...I bet that Hung Lung's parents were servants and Wang's father did something with Hung's mother...(kind of like Kallen's situation in CG) so...they're half-siblings, and he's her servant.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
OpMegs

Dean_the_Young wrote:
Sumeragi (when she gets mopey/depressed, this issue especially) and Marina (most of the time) pain me enough, though they are on the 'good' side. But if Soma gets degenerated into a weak and helpless sap...
Given how the writing's been basically the characters dealing with their issues(rather than letting them simmer until a crisis exacerbates them at the worst possible time. We're looking at you, Tieria), and I really foresee her getting past her issues. It's, after all, only 6 eps in, and we're already seeing the root of her issues, which seem to stem from getting someone she personally cared for killed by her forecasts.

Plus, unlike Marina, who's so sugary sweet for the sole purpose of eliciting sympathy thus far when the writers cause her pain, Sumeragi seems to have a hidden switch with a "kickass" setting for whenever she's actually on her game and directing the Gundams this season (see: 300 second blitz, her reaction to the Trilobite)
I look at the next episode preview, and pray that 'please, don't let this island episode be a repeat of Seed. Break the cliche, I beg of you!'
I'm hopeful, as in this case, unlike the last two times, there is most assuredly a "Rar! I hate babies!" evil side that one of the two is on, and the fact that, as you said, Soma HAS been strong and iron-willed thus far. 00's managed to subvert a lot of the old tropes thus far, so I've got decent hopes for breaking this one.

That said, I do suspect that a Soma/Al thing may be in the future, but if Marie is dead/repressed/whatever beyond the point of reaching her, it'd be interesting to see Al deal with the fact that Soma is Soma, not the girl she used to be. Especially since Soma makes mention that keeping her last name (Peires) was important to her even when considering being adopted by Sergei, who she has MUCH more reason to be willing to change it for than Al.

However, as much as I'm....unconcerned with Setsuna and Marina thus far, I'm really pulling for a nice good end for the Sergei/Soma/Andre/Al quartet of HRL familial misunderstandings.

And, of course, they could always pull the OTHER SEED cliche' and Al'd turn out to be Marie's brother so it's suddenly completely platonic except for rabid shippers on the internetz. =D
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Arsarcana

Oruma wrote:Although the beginning, i.e. the interaction between Setsuna & Ali, is still kind of weird...so what happened, exactly? Did anything happened?
Yeah, Ali appears to have developed telepathic powers between seasons since he sort of responds to Setsuna's thoughts despite, you know, not hearing them out loud. :lol: Ok, in all likelihood he expected someone would ferry Marina back home and could guess just who in CB it would be. How he got the timing right and his response can be waved away as dramatic license. How Setsuna in a non-GN Drive equipped shuttle managed to get away from a Gundam packing Fangs remains a question for the ages.

ETA:
The ending narration is so sad. [size=75"I once hoped to become your daughter."
With Soma stranded on some island with Ally, oh dear...a Flag of Death for the Colonel? [/size]Noooooo~
We've been expecting his death for the best part of a season, up to and including episode 25. While killing him would accomplish a lot story-wise I would find it hilarious (and yet in 00 also somewhat believable) if the Older Badass Character actually survived to see the epilogue.
Last edited by Arsarcana on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean_the_Young

OpMegs wrote: Plus, unlike Marina, who's so sugary sweet for the sole purpose of eliciting sympathy thus far when the writers cause her pain, Sumeragi seems to have a hidden switch with a "kickass" setting for whenever she's actually on her game and directing the Gundams this season (see: 300 second blitz, her reaction to the Trilobite)
Sumeragi's 'kick-ass' mode is awsom, of course, but she never gets into it enough. How many times last season? Once, if ever?

I'm hopeful, as in this case, unlike the last two times, there is most assuredly a "Rar! I hate babies!" evil side that one of the two is on, and the fact that, as you said, Soma HAS been strong and iron-willed thus far. 00's managed to subvert a lot of the old tropes thus far, so I've got decent hopes for breaking this one.
...I'm sorry to ask, but which one are you refering to again? Yes, the A-LAWS shocked Soma to her core with the automatons, but it was Allelujah who annihalated the Super Soldier Instituted, filled with dozens or hundreds of 'siblings'. So while one side is 'Rar! I hate babies!', the other person is 'Rar! I murdered our young siblings!'...
That said, I do suspect that a Soma/Al thing may be in the future, but if Marie is dead/repressed/whatever beyond the point of reaching her, it'd be interesting to see Al deal with the fact that Soma is Soma, not the girl she used to be. Especially since Soma makes mention that keeping her last name (Peires) was important to her even when considering being adopted by Sergei, who she has MUCH more reason to be willing to change it for than Al.
Really? I hadn't heard that: I look forward to watching it.
And, of course, they could always pull the OTHER SEED cliche' and Al'd turn out to be Marie's brother so it's suddenly completely platonic except for rabid shippers on the internetz. =D
...I don't hate you for that. I don't even hate your soul.

I do, however, hate the very essence of your entire existence.

(Remembers fanart where Soma and All were, ahem, on a 'date,' but unable to enjoy the experience due to the brainwaves...)

Official Jerid Fanboy
Exia

Arsarcana wrote:
Oruma wrote:Although the beginning, i.e. the interaction between Setsuna & Ali, is still kind of weird...so what happened, exactly? Did anything happened?
Yeah, Ali appears to have developed telepathic powers between seasons since he sort of responds to Setsuna's thoughts despite, you know, not hearing them out loud. :lol: Ok, in all likelihood he expected someone would ferry Marina back home and could guess just who in CB it would be. How he got the timing right and his response can be waved away as dramatic license. How Setsuna in a non-GN Drive equipped shuttle managed to get away from a Gundam packing Fangs remains a question for the ages.
Perhaps Ali was just ordered to deliver a message to Marina and not to kill her. And perhaps he longs to kill Setsuna in real battle to show his superiority. On another note was Nena flying into a hidden hangar in Azadistan? Perhaps we will see her in real action soon.
Dean_the_Young

Or it could have been a case of breaking the fourth wall. Gundam does that, sometimes.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Oruma

Oh, stranded on an island, again? Done in SEED...and GSD...and CG...this is getting old isn't it :twisted:

Another cheer, for Sergei & his extended families! Yes, I'm all for Andrei/Louise and Soma/Ally! :lol:
Exia wrote:Perhaps Ali was just ordered to deliver a message to Marina and not to kill her. And perhaps he longs to kill Setsuna in real battle to show his superiority. On another note was Nena flying into a hidden hangar in Azadistan? Perhaps we will see her in real action soon.
If I saw things correctly, I think Nena flew into Kataron (Middle East) HQ to help the resistance members escape...
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
yazi88

You don't have the right to slap Papa Bear Sergei unless you have a death wish, I mean c'mon its like slapping Bright. It's just not right....
OpMegs

...I'm sorry to ask, but which one are you refering to again? Yes, the A-LAWS shocked Soma to her core with the automatons, but it was Allelujah who annihalated the Super Soldier Instituted, filled with dozens or hundreds of 'siblings'. So while one side is 'Rar! I hate babies!', the other person is 'Rar! I murdered our young siblings!'...
I was referring to A-LAWS, yes. Al's destruction of the super-soldier facility will be a plot point that I imagine will come up, especially as Soma begins to come to terms with what she is and its implications. Currently, she might almost agree with Al's reasoning (They were doomed to be either weapons or insane "defectives" like Al is, and thus being dead is easier on them than that horrible of a life), but as she's coming to terms with Super Soldier =/= must be an inhuman war machine(thanks to Sergei), I imagine that view, similarly, would change. And perhaps Al's view in turn. There's a LOT of ways they could go with the Soma/Al dynamic, and since the writing's yet to be SEED level deja vu, I'm sitting back and pulling for a new dynamic to emerge. Especially since Full Metal Panic is arguably an influence on this series as well, beyond the rest of the Gundam metaseries.
Really? I hadn't heard that: I look forward to watching it.
It's mainly what she's talking to herself about in the scene before Sergei's dressed down by Sir "Most Likely To Get a Karmic Death Now" Lindt. She's also noticeably upset and considering if she's just a tool to kill people. They seem to be interspersing her memories of Sergei's adoption offer with her own personal doubts about being a super-soldier.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Ohmygodiamonfire

Maybe it's just me, but I have the feeling that Soma's going to die, due to her not really agreeing with the A-laws' methods. Though I honestly hope that doesn't happen.
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."